Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bob Baker's North Shore Dinghy

Default Re: Bob Baker's North Shore Dinghy

Culler is another with a strong signature. And a bit of vinegar to go along with it.

NO, when I was there it was off season and they would not let anyone take boats out. I swore at all the lawyers while I was taking photos of the Baker boat. I have some on a main computer and I will get some up here when I can remember it. I recall that I really liked the paint job--light blue and white.
    Re-naming straits as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hvalsoe View Post
    Sternpost mounted on the aft rather than inboard face of the transom. Maybe this is more common than I realize. Don't see it often out here. If you are scaling down to 1/4 inch ply do a midship construction section with a guess at the line off to see what kind of lap widths you can realistically achieve. I would definitely add another strake going with 1/4 rather than 3/8 plank thickness. Not sure what you mean to 'eliminate'. I would be more comfortable putting the centerboard through a plywood rather than cedar garboard (with a doubler), though generally favor a plank keel configuration to punch a board through. Still one can argue that the offset slot is more protected and less likely to collect debris than if directly on centerline. At first blush don't much like the sound of a plywood trunk without logs either. I have fastened directly into solid mahogany trunks.
    Eric- I understand now about the stern post. I am landlocked and have limited exposure- my own 2 boats have outer stern posts so I thought it was more common. Picture here of R. Bakers Puddleduck on top of and inside my Westport Sharpie showing both sternposts.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Wow photo huge. Belongs on another sternpost thread.
    Thanks for the advice about adding a plank with the lighter planking. It seems reasonable to me.
    By eliminate, I meant the offsetting of the CB, and the rabbeted keel. I'm leaning towards a beveled plank apron, or keelson, ( not sure of terminology) the plywood planking laid on the bevel and a flat planed to accommodate an outer plank keel. The outer plank keel would be split at the skeg and CB slot. Forward of the CB slot, it would taper down to 1 1/2" wide at the base of an outer stem sided 1 1/2" as in the original drawing. I think this is pretty much what you meant when you said "Garboards over the beveled apron to centerline, hood ends across an inner stem. Cap with skeg, keel and outer stem." earlier.

OK Dave, I look forward to more pics when you can. Good looking transoms Chris. I like the green bottom. Please put up some pictures of the Puddle when she is wetted as you can. Is that a Willy's Overland stern I see in the far right margin? My dad and I rebuilt a 1961 in our garage when I was about eleven or twelve. My sister still has it. Still has the Hurricane flat head 6.

Good eye, JC72 its a 1950 Willys wagon. I've been driving it every day since 1990. I use it for work- full of tools and often pulls my work trailer.
    Ive been meaning to start a Robert Baker's Puddleduck thread with pictures I took while building and wetted as you say. Just need to get them all together. Shes a fine little boat.

Great Chris, looking forward to it. Oh and I recounted my strakes. Eric Hvalsoe added two additional strakes to the plan. Total of nine per side. Narrower plank stock with more facets, or laps, to a given curve, gives a rounder shape. Also imparts some additional strength to the hull structure.

Isn't that a good looking paint job?

You can imagine how disappointed I was that I didn't get to take out a single boat. And the weather was great.

Thanks Dave, thats a fine looking paint job. It is really interesting how different the two hulls look because of the additional two strakes per side, and the bright shear on ours. Obviously the same boat though. I just got a quart of "Maynard Bray Off White" from Kirby. Previously I custom blended an off white, which I named "Tomales Bay Oyster Shell". Never to be duplicated again as the Hardware store quit carrying that paint. Here is a shot of the last time our boat had any new paint applied. Got to fined the number of this painter again. She did good work. [IMG][/IMG]

Nice work if you can get it.

Oh boy . . .

The thing about strakes is the geometry. Just try to draw out a midsection construction detail. Particularly if you don't want to extensively facet the molds. Even if you do, draw the detail before committing to the number of strakes. I have seen people befuddled on the forum when going to a thinner lapstrake skin and . . . lo and behold the line off does not work based on the previous plank thickness.

Changing from scantling to plank keel is less complex in the bow, there are a few more parts involved with the skeg in the stern. The most elegant solution is to create a skeg with the same taper as the plank keel, preserving the original keel profile, and creating a great beaching surface and bombproof construction. Way more work than a simple scantling skeg though.

bump.

I was going to wait until I had made more progress, but I saw this bump, so decided to post a couple pictures here, now. In the future, I will post a complete thread. As a mockup for the real build, I lofted her at quarter scale- 3" to the foot. Considering building her full size in 1/4" glued lap plywood, I laid out 10 planks per side.[IMG][/IMG]

I am building the model using spanish cedar, as that is what I have and its easy to work. Even with 10 planks, with the plywood, I'll need to facet the molds considerably it looks like.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Three planks to go, and I will be at a good point to start a build thread.
    Last edited by chrisring; 12-18-2015 at 10:30 AM. Reason: added stern picture

Nice!
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Apparently I managed to plank JC's in nine strakes with 3/8" cedar (It has been a long time), without faceting the molds - that was my goal in the traditional round bottom line offs, to get around the molds unscathed with the minimum number of strakes and pleasing proportions. If instead I was planking with 1/4", it would make sense to add at least another strake compared to the 3/8" line off. Such is the geometry. So ten strakes sounds about right given this approach. Those ten strakes will typically vary in width amidships considerably, depending on the firmness of the bilge. From a wide garboard, they will narrow through the bilge, and increase in width again to the sheer. You would see a similar pattern at the transom. At the stem the plank lines will have an even appearance. With this in mind I would not expect the molds to require much faceting. Can't exactly say of course without being there. To get one's bearings the midship spacing can also be done on the full size body plan. My line off begins with the midships mold. My point really is that the plank widths will vary.

There is a spectrum of round bottom types that meld into what I would call true round bottom shapes. It has always been so. Different materials, different goals, different habits and dispositions produce different kinds of line offs. Currently faceted molds seem almost to be taken for granted. Builders and designers are working from sheet plywood rather than lumber planking stock of limited widths. Wide and long lumber planking stock is not in the cards for most folks. One can get away with thinner glued plywood laps. But line off is still about the geometry. Plank thickness, lap width and incidence.

I was at IYRS the other day and noticed that they have quite a number of Bob Baker's old tools on display. The book about his life is very good, too: https://www.woodenboatstore.com/prod...ft/biographies

And in the comments section of this blog an owner of a North Shore Dinghy contributes: http://apprenticinglandandsea.com/?p=399
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

-Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hvalsoe View Post
    Apparently I managed to plank JC's in nine strakes with 3/8" cedar (It has been a long time), without faceting the molds - that was my goal in the traditional round bottom line offs, to get around the molds unscathed with the minimum number of strakes and pleasing proportions. If instead I was planking with 1/4", it would make sense to add at least another strake compared to the 3/8" line off. Such is the geometry. So ten strakes sounds about right given this approach. Those ten strakes will typically vary in width amidships considerably, depending on the firmness of the bilge. From a wide garboard, they will narrow through the bilge, and increase in width again to the sheer. You would see a similar pattern at the transom. At the stem the plank lines will have an even appearance. With this in mind I would not expect the molds to require much faceting. Can't exactly say of course without being there. To get one's bearings the midship spacing can also be done on the full size body plan. My line off begins with the midships mold. My point really is that the plank widths will vary.

There is a spectrum of round bottom types that meld into what I would call true round bottom shapes. It has always been so. Different materials, different goals, different habits and dispositions produce different kinds of line offs. Currently faceted molds seem almost to be taken for granted. Builders and designers are working from sheet plywood rather than lumber planking stock of limited widths. Wide and long lumber planking stock is not in the cards for most folks. One can get away with thinner glued plywood laps. But line off is still about the geometry. Plank thickness, lap width and incidence.
    Its a tricky business alright, and experience would be a tremendous help, so that is why I am building the model first. I came up with 10 because I want to preserve the sheer plank or wale line that Bob has noted in the offsets, but not make the rest of the planking appear too busy in contrast. My planks are ending up from about 4 1/4" to 5 1/2" amidships. The transom influenced most of the lining off because of the tumblehome and hollow of the bilge there.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I probably could have spent more time tweaking the battens around- the best method I could come up with was hot glue and it was tedious remelting to tweak. Also, I was not so confident I would be able to trim the planking exactly to line at this scale anyway. Ive been working with a headlight and reading glasses. A lot of this work would be easier full scale.

On the real deal I set the battens with brads, small wire nails. It is tedious. I think your line off looks nice, but would probably still narrow up around the bilge and fatten the bottom planks midships. Good on you for making a model, maybe you'll tweak things again full size. This boat has kind of a high bilge which make things interesting. I'm sure things will turn out fine for you. Think about extra width at the sheer for the rubrails. The high radius of the transom looks like the crux.

Hi, all - This is Steve, Bob's son. I dip in here from time to time but had missed this thread.

I do indeed have a NSD - "Ghost" - which was built by the ApprenticeShop in '97 as a carvel-planked version with gunter. We did not get the rig up this year (too busy pumping) but she is a delight to row even with every seam playing Niagara Falls.

The previous owner kept her in a barn in Vermont, and she had not seen the water in 3 years, so there is a LOT of taking up to do. With 2 sons getting married this summer, we did not get as much time on the water as we would have liked, but are hoping to next year.

I'll try to keep tabs here, as Chris's model seems to be coming along nicely. :

Wow Chris, that is impressive work there! I get the head light and glasses thing. Sometimes I even put a pair of dime store readers on over my trifocals when I am fiddling with super small stuff.
    Hi Steve glad you caught this thread. Congratulations on the impending weddings. We had a wedding for our daughter last August. What a lot of work. So you NSD was built in 1997? Do you know of any others besides Bill's Nellie, ours from Center for Wooden Boats, and Chesapeake Bay Maritime? Oh and Chris' soon to be completed quarter scale model?

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    I was at IYRS the other day and noticed that they have quite a number of Bob Baker's old tools on display. The book about his life is very good, too: https://www.woodenboatstore.com/prod...ft/biographies

And in the comments section of this blog an owner of a North Shore Dinghy contributes: http://apprenticinglandandsea.com/?p=399
    Yes that was me in the comments section.

Quote Originally Posted by JC 72 View Post
    Wow Chris, that is impressive work there! I get the head light and glasses thing. Sometimes I even put a pair of dime store readers on over my trifocals when I am fiddling with super small stuff.
    Hi Steve glad you caught this thread. Congratulations on the impending weddings. We had a wedding for our daughter last August. What a lot of work. So you NSD was built in 1997? Do you know of any others besides Bill's Nellie, ours from Center for Wooden Boats, and Chesapeake Bay Maritime? Oh and Chris' soon to be completed quarter scale model?
    I don't KNOW of any, but I'm sure they are out there. There is one that Dad's apprentice Julie built shortly after his death - used to be in Westport, MA but I've lost track of it now.....

Nice, in Westport no less. We launched ours in Tomales Bay, just a stones throw from where your dad spent the summer of 1963, the year he drew her. There is going to be a boat building class soon at Brock's old boat house where he discovered so many great boats. I think the NSD would be a great candidate for a CNC kit.

anything new?

Bump! I bet Chris has a nearly completed full size NSD now, and is just waiting to spring it on us.

How does this dinghy compare to a Lawley tender?

Looks like she has more deadrise?
    I like the offset centerboard. Something which might work on the Lawley if I ever build one.

Cheers James

Unfortunately, I have not had time to work on the North Shore Dinghy model the last couple months. This is the sailing season here in Austin, Texas and stuff comes up, like today, making a new tiller for the sharpie to replace the one I broke Monday. I also have work commitments. I did however, complete the planking a few weeks ago, next I'll shape some rub rails I've ripped out of beech to emulate oak at this scale. After they are attached I can remove her from the molds, shape the transom, and proceed to finish the interior.

[IM
    G][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Wow Chris! Beautiful job with those planks and lay out. Nice sweet curve on that garboard at the turn up to the transom. I think more planks made that easier to get. She is a beauty. I see that you widened the deadwood starting just abaft her chin. Was this to provide purchase for the CB case? Looking forward to her Big Sister soon! I understand the work thing. I haven't touched Merryrows since November. Got to turn her over and start. Thanks for the inspiration. John

Watching with interest.

Quote Originally Posted by JC 72 View Post
    Wow Chris! Beautiful job with those planks and lay out. Nice sweet curve on that garboard at the turn up to the transom. I think more planks made that easier to get. She is a beauty. I see that you widened the deadwood starting just abaft her chin. Was this to provide purchase for the CB case? Looking forward to her Big Sister soon! I understand the work thing. I haven't touched Merryrows since November. Got to turn her over and start. Thanks for the inspiration. John
    I widened the keel to 3" to accommodate the CB slot, but left the thickness 1 1/2" so the profile view is the same as designed. If I build full sized, I may reduce the thickness to 3/4" or 7/8" as with the 3/4" keelson inside, there is plenty of mass. It would change the curve at the heel of the stem though. Planking the model was probably more challenging than planking full size simply because of the scale. It took about a day for each pair of planks. It seems a bit ridiculous while working on it, but it will be an interesting object when done.

So you are going down the middle for the CB case, yes? It seems way easier to spile, and install than the garboard strake as designed by Bob.

Bump, Hey Chris, you sailing your North Shore yet?

Hey Chris, Just checking in with you. Were you hit by any of the Hurricane? We sent some folks down to Houston. Now they are in Florida. Hope you are high and dry.
    I've started putting in the center board case in our NSD. I went with big chine logs with 3/4 Mahogany sides. Spilling that log to garboard compound curve was fun? I will post some pictures when this whole Photobucket image hosting thing is cleared up. I'm going to use some one else, or just store them myself. Have been pulling to much overtime to do more than sharpen some tools. John

I use https://imagebin.ca/ since it's pre-web 2.0, pre photo album web nonsense, just post a pic, get the link, and you're done & no $. Clean, simple. Thanks for the NSD posts, post more please