Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bob Baker's North Shore Dinghy

Default Bob Baker's North Shore Dinghy

This boat was featured in WoodenBoat Volume 1, Number 1, under the title, "Bill Page's Nellie", written by L D Bailey.

Baker called the design "Bembo", and her lines appear in the new book, "Robert H. Baker, A Legacy of Small Craft".

I'm curious if she's still sailing, or if anyone else has built her. She's just about the prettiest little boat I've ever seen.

Default Re: Bob Baker's North Shore Dinghy

Yes
    My students built a Northshore at the center for wooden boats in seattle years ago. Without the rig. Lovely boat, still have the molds. The current owner may chime in.

I'll ping him. That is one lovely boat your class built! They call her "Merryrow"...

Here she is at the Petaluma Rivertown Revival, next to a couple rowing my wherry -

And on Big Lagoon with the two boys rowing -

Also on Big Lagoon beach -
    Last edited by Thorne; 09-29-2015 at 11:01 AM.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

In the book Anne Baker says the dinghy was based on Bahamian fishing smacks. Bob got fascinated by their shape, started sketching them, and before he knew it, he'd built 2 models.
    Such a pretty hull!

I purchased a set of North Shore Dinghy plans from Mystic last year. I got 2 sets of plans at the same time, built Bob Bakers "puddleduck" first, just completed it, and am about ready to start the North Shore Dinghy next. I am thinking of building a large scale model first though, like 3" to the foot, before committing the space. The plans show 7 planks including sheer, and the CB case is along the starboard side of the 1 1/2" sided keel. Bob drew both gaff rig and sliding gunter sailplans for this boat. The Woodenboat article shows the sliding gunter sail plan, dated 1963. Photos in the article show the sail and it was dark cloth with a miter cut. The plans I got from Mystic have the gaff rig sail plan dated 1972 and labeled "revised". I did not receive the gunter sail plan from them, I need to contact them to make sure I received a complete set or if the gunter plan has been destroyed or lost.
    I hope this thread continues, I am interested in any information about existing North Shore Dinghys, especially sailing characteristics of the 2 rigs.
    I believe Bob's son Steve Baker has a carvel planked version, I am not sure if he has a sailing rig with it, maybe he will read this and contribute.
    Incidentally, my father, Alden Ring, a close friend and contemporary of Bob Baker's from Westport died suddenly of natural causes last Friday evening. He was 87, and he sailed his little O'Day 12, a Bob Baker design, every day in Grand Rapids including the morning he died.

Chris, I'm sorry to hear of your loss. It sounds, though, like your father lived a full life right up to the end, which is a good thing.

I've always liked the O'Day Widgeon.

I bought a set of plans for the North Shore Dinghy a couple years ago from Baker Boat Works in Westport. Mass. I don't foresee building her any time soon, since I have a Coquina which suits my needs quite perfectly and fills half of my garage, but should the occasion arise, the dinghy is on the short list. I would still love to see more images of her under sail. If I were to build one, I think I'd go with the original gunter rig. I love how it looks!

Hey guys, my computer is down. Yes are North Shore is wonderful. Not an unfair or aukward line on her. Eric Hvalsoe and his class did an amazing job of building her. All the lovely Hvalsoe touches. Eric added one more strake to her, and I think it was a great idea. I bought my plans from Anne in 2006. They didn't include the third rig option. Eric has converted me to the Lug side. Got to go pick up the computer from the shop. I have some more pics to put up. Nellie is still sailing as far as I know.

Rob, as far as I know there are three North Shore Dinghys out there. Nellie who is still with her owners family. Chesapeake Maritime Museum built one in 2013? Our one which was built in about 2000? Eric will correct me there. I want to know if Eric had the plans for the class, or was it something Dick Wagner had supplied?

I like the looks of the gunter better too. I assume there is one less halyard with shorter and lighter spars also.

The puddleduck I just finished was going to go up to Grand Rapids so Alden could teach his grandkids to sail in it from the Oday12, but that may not happen now.

So with my Westport Sharpie, which suits my needs, as the Coquina does for yours, with my 2 'glass boats, I have too many boats kicking around right now to start another one.
    That's why I am thinking of the 1/4 scale model now. It'd be about 39" long, so should go together like the real thing, and make a nice conversation piece.

Other than the small keel, this model boat that I bought at a fete in Abberly (near Worcester in the Welsh Border) in '96 really reminds me of the North Shore design. The old gent that built it told me it was the same as the full size dinghies he and his brother built during WWII, using wood from fences that had been blown down, sometimes by German bombs.

"The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

The CBMM boat is light blue with white trim. I photographed the boat a couple of years ago. It is a very capacious boat. I found this online:

Re-naming straits as necessary.

these two photos show some derivative similarity between and abaco and a north shore:

Rob, I got the gunter plan when I ordered a set from Anne Baker back in 2006. However she also sent me a sheet of Puddle Duck from under water perspective view of the hull shape? Who knew that was part of the set?
    Chris, I am sorry for your loss. It sounds like he had an wonderful life. Did Sarah Baker ever get in touch with you? She had posted several years ago asking if anyone here had known her dad.

Condolences.
    I'd heard something about the Bahamian inspiration. Dick Wagner had the same plans as everybody else. The NS is a beamy little boat. If you are planking in single lengths of cedar, 8 strakes will make life a little easier. I drew conservative single lug and lug yawl rigs for it. Possibly a little too conservative, depending on locale. In the class we had no time to deal with a sail rig, much less the more complicated rigs drawn by Baker. Centerboard through the garboard seems less than ideal, though I know it is done successfully. It is one of the prettiest I have ever seen. Lots of deadrise.

I have been watching for a design to strip plank, over the years--I have a pile of WRC and clear, old growth doug fir that would be about enough for a Haven 12.5. This boat would look good stripped. I kicked the idea around enough to have a folder that is just photographs of this boat. At the CBMM I took a dozen photographs or more of theirs, and I have them on disc in California (I am new New Mexico for work).

Do I understand that people are building this one? Rob, I understood your interest to be a flirtation but not a marriage, right?

Thats a great wee boat. Are plans still available for it?

Skara,
    I bought my plans in March of '12 from Baker Boat Works, PO Box N12, Westport, MA, 02790
    I'm sure they're still available.

Dave, you're correct, I don't have space to build a North Shore Dinghy now. Besides, I love my Coquina and I'll probably keep her as long as I can sail. But the other day I happened to open the first issue of WoodenBoat, and there she was, Bill Page's Nellie, that little heartbreaker…

I'm pretty sure Bob Bakers plans are only available through Mystic Seaport now. I had some trouble with them ordering, they couldn't find the plans for NSD or Puddleduck. I got Sarah Bakers number from my father, and she helped me get through to Paul O'Pecko there who found them and got them to me. BTW, Bobs plans are $100.00 each at Mystic. I should have ordered them from Petey Baker years ago.
    I had been planning on building the NSD - starting this month actually. Glued plywood lap strake. But right now, I am disheartened by my fathers death last week. He had been my primary motivator/cheerleader on all my boat building projects. Also, I do not have extensive experience beyond a few flat-bottom craft- A Bolger "Skooner", Cullers GLS, 3 or 4 sharpies, and the recently completed (v bottomed) puddleduck. I've built scale models of my own designs too, but they were flat and v bottomed craft also.
    NSD would easily be the most advanced boat I have ever attempted. I always figured if I could build her, I could call myself a boat builder among boat builders.
    Right now, I am considering lofting a 1/4 scale ( 3" = 1') on paper and building a large model. Maybe during that project my enthusiasm and confidence will return.
    JC72- I am in touch with Sarah Baker, and Bob's son Steve. My father, Alden Ring describes Bob as a young man in Westport and a couple of their adventures in the opening pages of "Legacy of Small Craft".

Yes Chris I believe you are right. Sarah said that they had turned over the plans to Mystic Seaport. Yikes, that's an expensive jump in price! I had no idea that they marked them up so much. That is going to dampen my desire to collect all of Bob's published designs. It does seem that the folks there are overwhelmed with plan requests. I think the woman I spoke to recognized Bob's name because of your purchase. When I bought from Petey, I think I had them in hand in under four days. Wish I had done as you should have too!
    Your father's recollection of his first meeting of Bob, when they were both boys is one of my favorite parts of the book. What adventures they had! Real honest adventure. I could almost taste that fried bread and hot coffee.
    Chris, you CAN build her. It sounds like you have built some lovely craft already. Try a scale model first, if it helps to get your head around the shapes. Besides if you start one and do a thread, then we can all keep you going. With the experience and talent represented on this forum, you will get good help from folks who have been there. Eric Hvalsoe for one. I'm also selfishly thinking how wonderful it would be You had a NSD, then we could form a club. Best of luck. Let us know when you get started. John

At least the straight scantling rabbeted keel of the NSD is more straightforward than a rabbeted tapering plank keel. But this is why the garboard is pierced by the centerboard. The keel is hardly wide enough even for a thin metal board. Quite a generous size centerboard by the way. The aft mounted stern post is also an interesting feature. Not to make the designer turn in his grave - but if you want to get really ruthless about converting this to glued ply, than eliminate the rabbeting altogether. Garboards over the beveled apron to centerline, hood ends across an inner stem. Cap with skeg, keel and outer stem. Or . . . revel in Baker's original craftsmanship and detail.

Good Idea Eric. Bob even points out that the boat could be built of glued plywood, and that was in 1963. Nothing wrong with the construction you mentioned for glued ply. Why I know of a certain 18' and shapely design that was recently built that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hvalsoe View Post
    At least the straight scantling rabbeted keel of the NSD is more straightforward than a rabbeted tapering plank keel. But this is why the garboard is pierced by the centerboard. The keel is hardly wide enough even for a thin metal board. Quite a generous size centerboard by the way. The aft mounted stern post is also an interesting feature. Not to make the designer turn in his grave - but if you want to get really ruthless about converting this to glued ply, than eliminate the rabbeting altogether. Garboards over the beveled apron to centerline, hood ends across an inner stem. Cap with skeg, keel and outer stem. Or . . . revel in Baker's original craftsmanship and detail.
    Nicely put. I mentioned feeling irreverent with changing the construction to my father in the last conversation we had. He told me Bob was not one to dictate, he was very much a live and let live guy, and respected the opinions of others. In short, work with the materials and skill level you have. I am in Texas with limited access to suitable materials, and limited experience for building exactly as drawn, so I am inclined to build as you describe above. I've been reading John Brooks's book on glued lapstrake, and am planning on adapting the NSD lines using the construction plan of his "Ellen" to guide me as much as is reasonable. The only advantage to offsetting the centerboard I can see has to do with the continuous 1 1/2" keel, so they would both be eliminated.
    Also, on the NSD plan the garboard along the offset CB slot is drawn fastened directly to the CB trunk side, which is spec'ed as "3/4" ply" (no CB case logs in drawing). I'm sure if asked he would agree that is kind of dicey. There are bent frame heels in that area too would have nothing to land on.
    I am not clear what you mean by the "aft mounted sternpost", it looks conventional to me, other than being quite thick.
    As JC72 points out, on the construction plan Bob notes "planking 3/8" mahog. or 1/4" mahog. ply".
    Rob Hazard- I hope I am not hijacking your thread. I was planning on asking some questions about the NSD, and noticed this thread appeared. I hope this is germane enough to the topic as you intended.

Not a hijack at all, Chris!
    If I were actually planning to build a NSD (I prefer to call her Bembo or Nellie), I'd be seriously torn between converting the plans to glued lap or building her in cedar on oak, all traditionally fastened, no glue at all. And if I had a house by the water where she could live on a mooring, there'd be no question which way I'd go. But my Coquina has to live on a trailer in my garage, and glued lap is the perfect solution for that.
    I recently opened WoodenBoat issue #1 to remind myself how this wonderful magazine started out, and there was Nellie, and I remembered how taken I was with that design, and how perfect she'd be for just sailing around the harbor, with no pretensions of actually going anywhere, no fierce determination to win a race, just purely to enjoy the feeling of sailing.

I'm glad to learn I'm not the only one who felt that way about Nellie.

[IMG][/IMG]Here she was one year ago last May. We hired out for a photo shoot in Santa Rosa, for a clothing line from Switzerland. Only 15 seconds of fame on their video, although they said that it would appear in a print catalog as well. Just another pic Rob, like you need convincing!

[IMG][/IMG]Here is 'Nellie' from Ben Mendlowitz' Woodenboat calendar of a few years ago.

Lovely! Thanks!

Thanks for that info. As someone more likely to build a scale model before even thinking about full size, i only really need a line drawing. If i find enough photos on-line i may be able to draw up a rough line plan myself.
    If there has been some good build blogs or photos, i would certainly appriciate any links being posted. Thanks. Ian

The book, Robert H. Baker, A Legacy of Small Craft, has a small reproduction of the lines plan of Bembo. There is a larger print of the construction plan, and the sail plan as well, in Issue #1 of the mag. You could also contact Sarah Baker at <RHBakerCatalog@gmail.com>.

BEcause of my location, I would have to build in ply. Rob, have you had any plank separation with your Coquina, living in the garage? Mine stays outside under a canvas garage, and it has been perfectly dry thus far (the exception being an axle on the centerboard that was a bit too long which prevented the through-hull fittings from cranking down hard enough to seal). I also find this design interesting to compare to Culler's Sheep Boat, as it was called. I think Culler's boat was an 11 footer, but the design looks influenced b y the Abacos...

No plank separations on my Coquina, Dave. The hull is totally tight and sound. She seems quite happy living in the garage. Some of the brightwork needs attention, due to dings and scratches, but that's about it.

I believe Nellie's still around. I last saw her in Center Harbor 2-3 years ago, and I believe she's still owned by the guy Bill Page sold her too. If you ask Bill, he might be able to put you in touch....

Incidentally, she's the boat that inspired Bill to have Bob draw up the lines for Mimi Rose; although, Bob's cancer led to the design being finished by Joel White. I seem to remember someone saying that Bob only ever drew 'one boat' and you can see a lot of similarity in the lines of his various designs.

Quite a talented few probably only ever drew 'one boat', in that sense.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisring View Post
    Nicely put. I mentioned feeling irreverent with changing the construction to my father in the last conversation we had. He told me Bob was not one to dictate, he was very much a live and let live guy, and respected the opinions of others. In short, work with the materials and skill level you have. I am in Texas with limited access to suitable materials, and limited experience for building exactly as drawn, so I am inclined to build as you describe above. I've been reading John Brooks's book on glued lapstrake, and am planning on adapting the NSD lines using the construction plan of his "Ellen" to guide me as much as is reasonable. The only advantage to offsetting the centerboard I can see has to do with the continuous 1 1/2" keel, so they would both be eliminated.
    Also, on the NSD plan the garboard along the offset CB slot is drawn fastened directly to the CB trunk side, which is spec'ed as "3/4" ply" (no CB case logs in drawing). I'm sure if asked he would agree that is kind of dicey. There are bent frame heels in that area too would have nothing to land on.
    I am not clear what you mean by the "aft mounted sternpost", it looks conventional to me, other than being quite thick.
    As JC72 points out, on the construction plan Bob notes "planking 3/8" mahog. or 1/4" mahog. ply".
    Rob Hazard- I hope I am not hijacking your thread. I was planning on asking some questions about the NSD, and noticed this thread appeared. I hope this is germane enough to the topic as you intended.
    Sternpost mounted on the aft rather than inboard face of the transom. Maybe this is more common than I realize. Don't see it often out here. If you are scaling down to 1/4 inch ply do a midship construction section with a guess at the line off to see what kind of lap widths you can realistically achieve. I would definitely add another strake going with 1/4 rather than 3/8 plank thickness. Not sure what you mean to 'eliminate'. I would be more comfortable putting the centerboard through a plywood rather than cedar garboard (with a doubler), though generally favor a plank keel configuration to punch a board through. Still one can argue that the offset slot is more protected and less likely to collect debris than if directly on centerline. At first blush don't much like the sound of a plywood trunk without logs either. I have fastened directly into solid mahogany trunks.

[IMG][/IMG]Here is what Bob drew from my copy of the plans. I took some pictures before I sent them to you Eric. I have to agree with Eric, I think this looks like a cracked garboard if you using WRC. When we discussed it, I thought bed logs with a hardwood rub strip out board through bolted sandwiching the plank. Thank you Dave for that shot of Culler's Sheep Boat. Always liked that design. That outboard brace on the transom seems to have been a Bahamian detail. I have a book on them, and they all look like NSDs, but carvel planked.

In the book Robert H. Baker, A Legacy of Small Craft, Anne is quoted as asking Bob why all his boat designs look like Baker boats, He replied, "It's the sheer and the shape of the ends, or maybe because I've been drawing the same damn boat shape for the last forty years." Thorne, your model does look a lot like a Baker boat.
    Dave have you found any shots of CBMMs NSD sailing? They said it was to become part of their fleet for hire. A video would be even better!