Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Universal Fisherman One-Lunger Project

Default Universal Fisherman One-Lunger Project

Hi folks.
    As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I have two awesome MIT mechanical engineering seniors who accepted my one-lunger gauntlet, and will be doing their undergraduate theses on the topic. In the spirit of Mens et Manus, Sally and Sam will be debugging, taking apart, reverse engineering, repairing (where necessary) a Universal Fisherman. In parallel, they will also be attempting a new build using our shop and foundry of a 1901 engine, as described in "How to Build a 3hp Launch Engine," by E.W. Roberts.
    The hope is that their experience will be hugely educational, a blueprint for a new senior course, and of course, an awesome time in the lab.

Earlier in the week, a friend from Martha's Vineyard, John Clough, generously donated his Universal Fisherman to our cause. So, a huge thank you to John for supporting our educational mission. The engine made it back to Cambridge, and is a thing of beauty.

Sally and Sam will be posting here as the project unfolds. Here's our starting point.

P.S. any information on the engine would be super appreciated. We do have Universal's "Instruction Book" for the Fisherman, as well as some documentation for the zenith carb and Wico magneto, but more info is better at this point.

Default Re: Universal Fisherman One-Lunger Project

Looks very similar to an Australian engine called a Simplex. Lovely bit of machinery.

This will be a fun thread to follow!
    the Wico magneto should be no problem for you, there are parts (repo) readily available online (even the missing front cover).
    I would be curious to see a drawing of the engine you are planning on building.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorB View Post

I love the wording on that makers plate. Reminds me of the confident self promotion of a Henry Disston saw.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Good on ya! This is an admirable project which, brings back memories of my Columbia River gill netter. It had a single cylinder Hix engine and was a real joy to run. We referred to spining the 150lb flywheel to start it as, "Shaking Hands With Jonathon". The engine stood about three and a half feet tall from bottom of the crankcase to the top of the head. It had a make and break ignition, glow plug and what was called an "aspirator" that acted as a carburetor. It was made of cast bronze as were the external valve control handles. I think it cruised at 500 RPM One could dance on deck to the beat of the engine which, would blow smoke rings from time to time. Great fun! Please keep the info a coming!
    Jay

That Wico magneto plays two springs against each other for the timing control. They are a bit fussy (the springs can fail) and as I mentioned earlier that engine can break your arm when it back fires.
    Spend some time to understand exactly how that timing device works, and make certain the spark occurs slightly after top dead center (retarded) when hand cranking it.
    (I know two different people that have suffered injury from that engine but to be fair, both engines were mounted in a boat with limited access to the handcrank, one was through a bulkhead and the other was too close to a floor timber. Both injuries involved a broken arm!)
    Some of the fisherman engines had a single V-belt groove cut into the flywheel to mount a Delco starter/generator, a nice feature.
    The piston rings are wide, inefficient, and difficult to source, short of making them. But it is possible to just double up two modern rings in each groove with excellent results. The wide oil ring was still available the last time I rebuilt one, about twenty-five years ago.

Hi all! It's Sally, one of the students working on this project. The last week we've been focusing on getting the Universal Fisherman up and running smoothly before we completely disassemble it and clean it up. After some quick repairs to the fuel line (I needed to cut a new gasket for the filter) and gas tank, we managed to start it up.

Fuel filter disassembled

After running the engine for a while and messing with the choke, throttle, and timing for the magneto, we realized that the water pump wasn't working and the engine was quickly overheating. We confirmed that there wasn't a clog by running water from a garden hose through the cooling system, and then took it apart to make sure that nothing was broken. The pump still looks great, and it seems the only repair it needs is a new gasket, which we'll lasercut this week. We decided that the pump probably isn't self priming (which makes sense because the engine is generally in a boat and the inlet can be below the waterline), so we'll clean up the pump and retest it soon.

Water pump. The gasket is disintegrated but everything else is in great shape.

Ultimately we plan on creating a CAD model of the Fisherman, so we'll be measuring the components of the water pump this week as we clean it up. I started making the model of the 1901 Roberts engine that we hope to build eventually, and am a little intimidated by the drawings I have to decipher! It will be interesting to build the engine in the 21st century since we have access to so many more fabrication techniques than the people who built the original engines, like CNC mills and lathes, 3D printers, and lasercutters.

Example of drawings for Roberts 3 hp engine

Excellent Sally Ann !

It will be fun to follow this thread .

Thanks for posting , and the pictures.

Set your bucket of water up higher and make sure all the water lines are full. My Palmer will lose its prime if I leave the bucket of water on the floor.

I don't know where you are, but my Palmer is in the garage and freezes in the winter so I am using 50/50 antifreeze to run it with into a bucket behind it on the bench. Its just sitting there waiting for a boat so I start it every once in a while.
    Fish and ships or is that chips

What an awesome project and to complete CAD renderings along with the restoration is ambitious indeed. Growing up in a wee fishing village on the coast of Newfoundland, I was awakened many an early morning during fishing season to the sound of one-lungers steaming out the bay to the fishing grounds. The most popular models in that neck of the woods were the Atlantic and the Acadia. Here's one steaming out the bay.

Pack the grease cups full, tighten them up until grease enters the pump and that will seal the pump enough to prime it. That is the routine every time you start it...

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Pack the grease cups full, tighten them up until grease enters the pump and that will seal the pump enough to prime it. That is the routine every time you start it...
    That makes sense, external gear or spur gear pumps should be self priming if everything is tight.

I had a very good opinion of my Stuart Turner P5M, a single cylinder, two cycle delivering 4 hp at 1500 rpm. Unfortunately not made any more.

As mentioned above, that gear pump should have the ability to be reasonably self priming. A word of caution about cutting a new gasket for it. The gasket for a gear pump needs to be quite close in proper thickness for correct working of the pump. If the gasket material is too thick there will be excessive leakage past the ends of the veins/spurs/teeth of the gear (whatever you want to call them) from one 'pocket' to the next. This will cause loss of pumping efficiency, and will make it much less "self priming". Conversely, too thin of a gasket and the ends of the gears will rub excessively on the cover plate of the pump, causing heat and excessive wear. The cover plate gaskets for these pumps are usually a paper thin type of gasket, not the normal "gasket paper" material that you can pick up at most auto-parts stores.

Most other gaskets you will be dealing with on this engine are much less critical in the thickness, and the material available at auto-parts stores will work fine.

Lastly for now, .......... Laser cutting a gasket for a waterpump?!?!?! (lol, just had to throw that in there.) The 'traditional' and also easiest and most accurate way to cut one-off gaskets is to lay the gasket paper over the part and gently tap around the perimeters (in and out), and the bolt holes with a ball peen hammer. You could cut 10 good gaskets this way in less time than you could set up and laser cut one.
    Last edited by nedL; 09-21-2015 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    Laser cutting a gasket for a waterpump?!?!?!
    Any time with our laser is a good time. (Anyone want a gasket??)

Any time with our laser is a good time. (Anyone want a gasket??)
    ..... Very well then, ..... laser on!

This sediment bowl...

Should have a fine mesh brass screen above the gasket, otherwise there is no filter.

(Like this one; note there are variations of this going back to the Model T Ford. They used to be common, today you just get a blank stare at the auto parts store!)

Or this one with a gasket included (ebay)

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Should have a fine mesh brass screen above the gasket, otherwise there is no filter.
    Yup! There's a screen, just not visible in the picture

Also, a first pass at some laser cutting:

Still needs some tweaking, but shouldn't take long to fix.
    Last edited by Sally Ann; 09-21-2015 at 07:17 PM.

I ran a small launch one summer with a universal Fisherman. It drew the old timers out of the woodwork whenever I arrived at the pier.
    You need a small launch for actual testing right there in the river, no?

Instead of any gasket at all, why not simply seal the surfaces with a good automotive sealant? I would go with Permatex Ultra Gray; have great faith in it. Mazda used an Asian version of the same thing on oil pans, and you had to beat them off with a 4 lb shot hammer after the bolts were out. I freely admit the laser cutter has a wonderful cool factor, though.

Very nice on the laser cutting,... Hmmm ... Do you take requests?????

Enjoying this so far, thanks for sharing the steps. If you grease fiber gaskets, they will come off easier next time and might be reusable. If there is liquid behind them constantly or more pressure and the grease won't be enough so you need a goop, I like Hylomar, which is weird stuff (liquid urethane) but also makes it possible to peel the gasket off intact someday. If you need to go gasket-free somewhere, Permatex Anaerobic might be a solution.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Roberts gets a goodly dose of oil mixed in with the gasoline, much more than is acceptable today. Some of those engines wanted 10 to one; by the relatively late Universal, grease cups and a full crank case did the job.

Is part of the thesis a look at the astonishingly fast conversion of the New England small fishing boat fleet to internal combustion detailed in some of the fish commission reports from 1902 to 1907. I had a look at this in a paper I did for the Log of Mystic Seaport but much more could be done.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Thanks for putting this thread up, very cool project! I look forward to seeing a back and forth showcasing both state of the art fabrication technology and the hardwon art of the machinist and the mechanic as promised in this exchange:
    Lastly for now, .......... Laser cutting a gasket for a waterpump?!?!?! (lol, just had to throw that in there.) The 'traditional' and also easiest and most accurate way to cut one-off gaskets is to lay the gasket paper over the part and gently tap around the perimeters (in and out), and the bolt holes with a ball peen hammer. You could cut 10 good gaskets this way in less time than you could set up and laser cut one.

Judging from Post #14 you could fine tune the performance of the water pump by experimenting with gasket thickness.

Hello All! I'm Sam(antha), the other student working on the One-Lunger Project.

Long story short, we got the pump to work!

Sally finished CADing and altering the gasket to get a perfect fit. We didn't want the holes on the gasket to interfere with the holes on the plate, as it can cause the gasket to twist when we put the screws in, essentially making it ineffective sealing.

Last edited by SamOneLunger; 09-23-2015 at 09:37 PM.

Way to go Sam! It's awesome to see young folks involved in a project that was so historically important to the life line of multi thousands of fisherman families in North America in the 20th century.

Very nice on the laser cutting,... Hmmm ... Do you take requests?????
    What'cha have in mind?

Hello People of the Wooden Boat Forum!

Stay tuned because later today, or more likely tomorrow, I will be posting pictures and descriptions of the disassembly of this beauty! The carburetor of the universal fisherman!

Throughout the project, I will be posting pictures of the numbers we find on the parts. If at all, you know how to identify the age/model year of the engine that would be incredible!

Check in later for my update,
    Sam

What'cha have in mind?
    Hmmm, ..... I could use a pair of gaskets that go between the waterpump and rear bell housing on a pair of 1957 Chrysler Crown marine engines.

Your carburetor is probably a common one in small vintage farm tractors and industrial engines (think engine driven air compressors, generators, sand blast units and even possibly fork lifts. You are missing the 'flame arrestor' which the USCG would tell you is needed to run the engine in a boat.
    Last edited by nedL; 10-05-2015 at 04:02 PM.

Congratulations on a great project!

The flame arrestor would be one of those air intake wire mesh jobs, correct?

There are many variations of flame arrestors, wire mesh is one way to do it.

The "correct" carburetor for that engine is a Marvel Schebler (marine version). There are specific requirements for marine use, one being a flame arrestor, and another is any overflow fuel, either from excessive choke or flooding caused by a faulty float valve, be contained and returned to the engine as liquid and not as vapor to the bilge.
    This is moot running on a bench, but important in a boat.

(There are many variations, I think the older brass up-draft version with a throttle plate might serve. They seem to be easier to find than the cast iron "marine version" )

Hmmm,... Canoeyawl, I am curious. I understand what you mean about this:
    "another is any overflow fuel, either from excessive choke or flooding caused by a faulty float valve, be contained and returned to the engine as liquid and not as vapor to the bilge."
    How does that get addressed with an updraft carb? I have five marine engines with updrafts and none have any provision for this. Even my big boat with a pair of Chrysler Crowns, once the horn at the bottom of the carb fills, it's going in the bilge.
    Last edited by nedL; 10-07-2015 at 07:14 AM.

Another thanks for this thread. Should be fascinating to watch the old vs. the new - as in laser cutting a gasket vs. ball peen or sharpened copper/steel pipe.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green