Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: I have brain cancer

Default Re: I have brain cancer

So sorry to hear this, best wishes, Tom lives on in our memories.

Condolences, he will be missed.

Thank you for letting us know, many people here have
    Dropped off the radar and we never knew why. A few,
    I fear, may have crossed the bar also.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Don't under-estimate Jack. He's purty damned talented

Sad news. Tom was great. I liked him a lot.

Here's a photo of Tom out on Lake Washington in Coot, his Devlin Godzilla.

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Sad news, thanks, best wishes.
    Edit. Meryl I am reading your blog. Just up to November so far. It is an extraordinary and powerful piece of writing. Absolutely. I wonder if there is a way to make it available to families going through this.
    Last edited by Phil Y; 08-10-2016 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meryll_Larkin View Post
    This is Tom's widow, Meryll Larkin. Tom passed on July 30, 2016. The awful daily details of his last year are here http://www.alwanza.com/braincancer/ if any of you are interested. I plan to go to the Wooden Boat Festival (by car) at Port Townsend this year. I loved boating on the Coot with him but my skills are not great enough to single hand it and I can't imagine boating on it with anyone else. I have dozens of books about boat building I'm thinking about selling, and some tools. I am going to see what I can do about maintaining his boat building website. I hope I can.
    Meryll, my deepest sympathy. I have a brain cancer too, a GBM4. and one of the hardest things has been watching my wife, Carol, having to just watch the process. I try to imagine the roles reversed and that would be very hard. You feel so helpless.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I followed his blog, Their build and their adventures. I'm glad to see that he was able to enjoy what he worked so hard to build. Sad to see him go.
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

~seanz

Adding my small voice to the throng of regret.
    Frayed Knot Arts: Fancywork and Rope Jewelry
    http://www.frayedknotarts.com.html[

Hi Peter,

I am so sorry to hear about your GBM4!. I am amazed that you are capable of writing! I wrote the blog with others who have similar in mind, so they may make better choices - or maybe the same choices that I did, but sooner than I made them. All my hopes for a recovery are with you!

Meryll

I'm so sorry.

Thank you Meryll, I sincerely hope Carol doesn't have to go through what you have gone through. Sometimes I think just dying is the easy part, watching the process and not being able to help.... and then the loneliness would be much harder. If I'm lucky I have a few years yet but it's all up in the air.
    Grateful Dead

I didn't realize it was so serious for you Peter. You are one of the good ones around here. I can not imagine what it must be like for you and Carol.

It's serious and may kill me, but it may not for some time. Every day is good !

What it must be like? Very hard for Carol..... the helplessness.
    For me? I've worked my way through the emotional turmoil, that wasn't fun but I am pretty much at peace with things now.
    Last edited by PeterSibley; 08-11-2016 at 12:33 AM. Reason: spelling
    Grateful Dead

Thank you for posting this, Meryll. Please accept more sincere condolences from Australia on Tom's passing. His was a well-respected presence here.

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Heartfelt condolences from Alaska. So sorry for the heartbreaking news. Tom was much liked and respected here.

My my heart goes out to you. Its difficult to imagine what you are going through...

Sending you prayers and smoke.
    Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...

S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

Sorry to hear this.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

So sorry to hear this. My sister was diagnosed last September(GBM4). She had surgery right away, and again yesterday.
    Last edited by CK 17; 08-11-2016 at 08:08 AM.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Meryll, Tom was great to share his ( your) boating and building experiences. I hope you can find peace.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Sorry for your loss. Wishing you peace.

Steven

Wow girl, I read the last month of your blog, you are some kinda Earth Angel.
    i have sisters like you.very special people.

Merryll, I spent a lot of yesterday reading your blog and woke up at 4.00 am this morning and finished. You did an incredible job caring for Tom. Don't just forgive yourself, be bloody proud of what you did. Amazing.

Maybe I should start a new thread for this? This is Tom Larkin's widow, Meryll. I need advice and help about selling the Coot: like resources for some minor repairs, advice about where and how to post, how much I should be asking? I started with this http://boatbuild.wordpress.com and don't know if I have all the information that potential buyers would want (see specification page). Someone told me that I should get a motor evaluation of how many hours are on the motor. Does this seem worthwhile? Or a boat appraisal? Does anyone know of a boat broker or dealer in the Puget Sound area who would even consider selling the Coot (while the boat stays in Seattle)? I have a lot of trouble maneuvering the Coot back into her moorage slip after I take her out. I feel like I need to be able to do this. Where would I get instructions or pointers?

Hi Meryll! I think a new thread would be a great idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Hi Meryll..I agree. Start a new thread.

Then either guide us to some specs and more importantly, photos of the boat.

A few year back my neighbor on my dock in his late 30s went into the hospital for a deviated septum. He never came out. Problems with the anesthesia. When I saw his widow with infant child I told her what comparable boats were asking using Yachtworld. There were only a few listed since it was a Japanese build called Yamaha. She responded that her broker assured her that she could get twice that amount. What could I say. She ended up selling it after making slip payments for another 18 months. I don't know what she finally got though I remember multiple price reduction. I never saw her again.

My advice would try to get as many opinions as you can. The best advice would be comparable sales. Good luck.
    Last edited by PatCassidy; 03-16-2017 at 12:48 AM.

Hi Meryl

Yes start a thread: " How To Sell A Boat" or something. Then raise your questions.

On the engine hours: buyers will ask this in the same way car buyers ask for the mileage. It's a handy number to know when selling. Your engine may have an hour meter. If not, and if the engine is electronically-controlled, a mechanic can plug in a scanner and read the hours. Or, you can estimate the hours based on a season's use and then multiply by age of boat.

Engine hours are not as important a spec as many make them out to be,( for instance a well-maintained high hour engine may well be a better buy than a poorly-maintained lower hour engine; and engines used a lot tend to be more trouble free) but having a number to provide is sort of " required" by the seller by tradition and habit.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.