Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 36 to 51 of 51

Thread: A Phoenix III on Lake Nipigon

  1. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    northwestern Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,673

    Default Re: A Phoenix III on Lake Nipigon

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    Another wonderful trip, and trip log.

    I've always wondered about Nipigon. I've flown over it a thousand times, looked down, and thought, "I wonder if that's as wild as it looks?"

    Thanks! And indeed, you should look at Reindeer Lake next.

    Dave
    Thanks for the comments--it did seem to be about as wild and undeveloped as it looks on Google Earth (or, I suppose, when flying over it--where were you heading?) Definitely worth a few return trips. Looking at the images from this thread, I see that I really only ran right up the center of the lake. Lots more exploring to do. And I even managed to find some vertical cliffs that look like it'd be worth hauling in some climbing gear for, which I've always wanted to do--a climbing/sailing trip would be cool.

    Reindeer Lake looks like a possibility; I've also been eyeing up Great Slave Lake lately... apparently there's now an all-season paved road all the way to Yellowknife. Hmm...

    Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

    www.tompamperin.com

  2. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    northwestern Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,673

    Default Re: A Phoenix III on Lake Nipigon

    Quote Originally Posted by Skegemog View Post
    How about an Isle Royale circumnavigation? A dream of mine....
    Yep, that looks like it'd be great as well. A few years back I had reservations on the ferry from Michigan for me and my Pirate Racer, but family obligations got in the way and I ended up cancelling the trip. But the idea is still bouncing around in my mind, that's for sure. Have you been to Isle Royale at all? I never have.

    Yet!

    Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

    www.tompamperin.com

  3. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    northwestern Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,673

    Default Re: A Phoenix III on Lake Nipigon

    Quote Originally Posted by KMacDonald View Post
    Great trip and write up. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks, Kevin

    I bet there'd even be room for a small auxiliary outboard on Nipigon for those who don't enjoy rowing--it's a big lake. Are you in the serious planning stages for taking your Marsh Cat to the Bahamas right now? THAT'S a thread I'm definitely waiting to see. I think it'd be sane if approached with appropriate caution.

    Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

    www.tompamperin.com

  4. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gowen, MI
    Posts
    369

    Default Re: A Phoenix III on Lake Nipigon

    There's a ferry to Isle Royale? So, one doesn't have to sail across Lake Superior (or drive around it) to get to Isle Royale? I may premature in adding destinations to Gardens' itinerary, but there's a bucket list trip for me.

  5. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    northwestern Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,673

    Default Re: A Phoenix III on Lake Nipigon

    Quote Originally Posted by BobW View Post
    There's a ferry to Isle Royale? So, one doesn't have to sail across Lake Superior (or drive around it) to get to Isle Royale? I may premature in adding destinations to Gardens' itinerary, but there's a bucket list trip for me.
    Yep, the Ranger III ferry from Houghton, MI can take boats up to 20' long, so no sailing across (or driving around) the big lake is needed:

    http://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisi...servations.htm

    Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

    www.tompamperin.com

  6. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    631

    Default Re: A Phoenix III on Lake Nipigon

    Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Yep, that looks like it'd be great as well. A few years back I had reservations on the ferry from Michigan for me and my Pirate Racer, but family obligations got in the way and I ended up cancelling the trip. But the idea is still bouncing around in my mind, that's for sure. Have you been to Isle Royale at all? I never have.

    Yet!

    Tom
    not yet! But I may need a bigger boat!

  7. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,650

    Default Re: A Phoenix III on Lake Nipigon

    Yes Tom, I hope to try and get to the Bahamas this winter. The weather will determine if it's a go or no go. With the right wind it won't be a problem. I will be adding a third reef point and see how it does singlehandedly in 25 or 30 kts. I think 25 kts will be fine but not sure about 30 kts.

  8. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    northwestern Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,673

    Default Re: A Phoenix III on Lake Nipigon

    Quote Originally Posted by KMacDonald View Post
    Yes Tom, I hope to try and get to the Bahamas this winter. The weather will determine if it's a go or no go. With the right wind it won't be a problem. I will be adding a third reef point and see how it does singlehandedly in 25 or 30 kts. I think 25 kts will be fine but not sure about 30 kts.
    Are you planning to leave from Key Largo and head for Bimini? That's kind of what I'm thinking if I ever try that trip. With a slow, engineless boat, conditions would sure have to be right. But I know it's been done that way. I suppose you really have to avoid capsizing in a Marsh Cat, eh? Are you going solo?

    Sounds like a very cool trip--were your earlier outings from the Keys kind of an intentional preparation for this one?

    Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

    www.tompamperin.com

  9. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    northwestern Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,673

    Default Re: A Phoenix III on Lake Nipigon

    Quote Originally Posted by Skegemog View Post
    not yet! But I may need a bigger boat!
    What kind of boat do you have now? Seems like the ferry option opens Isle Royale to cruising in some pretty small boats.

    Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

    www.tompamperin.com

  10. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Delmar, New York
    Posts
    224

    Default Re: A Phoenix III on Lake Nipigon

    HI Tom - I just read through the thread and really enjoyed it! What a great trip and thanks for posting. You have inspired me to do my own trip thread when I go somewhere next.

  11. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    631

    Default Re: A Phoenix III on Lake Nipigon

    Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    What kind of boat do you have now? Seems like the ferry option opens Isle Royale to cruising in some pretty small boats.

    Tom
    I have a Herreshoff Coquina, I think she's pretty capable actually

  12. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,650

    Default Re: A Phoenix III on Lake Nipigon

    Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Are you planning to leave from Key Largo and head for Bimini? That's kind of what I'm thinking if I ever try that trip. With a slow, engineless boat, conditions would sure have to be right. But I know it's been done that way. I suppose you really have to avoid capsizing in a Marsh Cat, eh? Are you going solo?

    Sounds like a very cool trip--were your earlier outings from the Keys kind of an intentional preparation for this one?

    Tom
    Yup, Key Largo to Bimini. The other trips were not to prepare for this trip, just interesting place to cruise to. There are a few "might go" people but nothing firm yet. The speed of our small boats is not much slower than 30 or 35 foot cruising boats and in some cases ours are faster. Just need a south wind of 7 to 15 kts and its a go.

  13. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ludington, MI
    Posts
    156

    Default Re: A Phoenix III on Lake Nipigon

    Tom, thanks for sharing. Its pretty wild up there. I'm surprised you didn't see any fisherman. Lots of big lake trout in those waters. I caught this one up there 25 years ago.
    Not all who wander are lost...

  14. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Delmar, New York
    Posts
    224

    Default Re: A Phoenix III on Lake Nipigon

    I have a few of those miniaturized yardsticks too ha ha ha

    That's one big fish. Looks like it could eat me.

  15. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    northwestern Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,673

    Default Re: A Phoenix III on Lake Nipigon

    Yeah, the fishing is supposed to be great; I was a bit surprised not to run into anyone. I did see the one fishing boat launch about an hour before I did from South Bay, and there were about a half dozen fishing boats at the dock waiting to pull out the day I got back, but that was about it. I got the impression that almost everyone who launches at South Bay fishes South Bay, and doesn't go farther than the southern shores of Shakespeare Island.

    Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

    www.tompamperin.com

  16. #51
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ludington, MI
    Posts
    156

    Default Re: A Phoenix III on Lake Nipigon

    Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Yeah, the fishing is supposed to be great; I was a bit surprised not to run into anyone. I did see the one fishing boat launch about an hour before I did from South Bay, and there were about a half dozen fishing boats at the dock waiting to pull out the day I got back, but that was about it. I got the impression that almost everyone who launches at South Bay fishes South Bay, and doesn't go farther than the southern shores of Shakespeare Island.

    Tom
    Roger that, I caught it in South Bay...
    Not all who wander are lost...

  17. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    northwestern Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,673

    Default Re: A Phoenix III on Lake Nipigon

    All right, another "Down with Photobucket!" moment as I begin resurrecting this thread by re-inserting all my photos. It'll take a while, but it will be happening.

    Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

    www.tompamperin.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •