X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kforth
    • May 2014

Re: 24' Len Randell Sloop Rebuild

Hey All,

Spent a few days working on Ranee. Got a couple of planks fitted. Had to scarf the one one under the stringer because the stringer was already installed, making a butt block rather difficult. It all turned out ok, even though my spiling was slightly out on the first plank (out of practice). A little edge set and she went in.

Pulled the stern tube out (the threads are chooched). I will probably replace it with a fibreglass one. I'm not sure whether to leave it out until after the boat is launched, then install it later so when the timber swells it doesn't split.

Fitted the first transom plank. I hope it doesn't leak. So many angles/joints to get right.

Comment

• Thad
      • May 2000

Beautiful! Cheers!

Comment

• PeterSibley
        • Dec 2001

That's a very neat bit of work Kevin !
        '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
        Grateful Dead

Comment

• kforth
          • May 2014

I've spent a couple more days working on Ranee. Still replacing u/s planking. It seems to never end but at least my fitting is getting better.

I usually make a template for the plank end fit to the stem.

Once its good I clamp and saw in situ.

Once the plank is in I mark the bevels freehand, using my fingernail as a guide. I know it isn't very "traditional" or professional to use a pen but i find it 20x easier to see.

I mark the whole plank at once then plane back to the marks to get the desired bevel. I reinstall it to check everything and if its all good i fasten it in.

EDIT: Although it doesn't look it, I leave the plank a little proud of the other planks so I can plane it back fair and remove the thicknesser chatter marks.

I brought this little diesel off gumtree for $200 a year or so ago. When I first tried to start it, it screamed its head off and the only way to stop it was to block the air intake. Only now have I got around to taking a look at it. The governor was seized up, hence the crazy revving. I put it back together and now it purrs like a kitten.
          Last edited by kforth; 10-11-2015, 07:37 AM. Reason: Added some more detail

Comment

• kforth
            • May 2014

Some more photos

The culprit!

Comment

• wizbang 13
              • Oct 2009

Fingernail.. There is another "hand tool"!

Comment

• PeterSibley
                • Dec 2001

Kevin, I'm not sure if you ave told us already but is the planking all jarah ? The backbone too?

How is she holding up to being out of the water ? Shrinkage in the planks and backbone structure ? How long has she been out of the water so far ?

You are doing a brilliant job, I wish I had half your skills !
                Last edited by PeterSibley; 10-11-2015, 08:00 PM.
                Grateful Dead

Comment

• simonmags
                  • Jan 2010

Amazing to see such a thorough eebuiild of a classic boat, I must confess to being quite interested as to if you have had to do anything to stop the keel and or planks from drying out. Keep up the great work

Sent from my HTC_PO582 using Tapatalk
                  My First Boat Build:
                  http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...acgregor-Canoe
                  Iain Oughtred - Macgregor Canoe - 15 foot

Comment

• boat fan
                    • Jul 2005

Nice work Kevin !

Much work replacing all those ribs , and done beautifully too..

Comment

• kforth
                      • May 2014

Hey Peter,

The planking and backbone are jarrah and the frames are karri. When I brought it, it had been out of the water for a long time, I'm not sure how long but at least a few years. Jarrah tends to shrink like crazy if it dries out too much and Ranee is no exception (although I have seen a lot worse). When it comes time to launch I will soak it with a sprinkler for a couple weeks before caulking and painting.

Jarrah is good timber but it isn't as stable as cedar or teak etc. and I think as the planking gets older it swells considerably, putting a lot of stress in tension on the frames. If any of the frames are in bad shape the planks can swell such that if it ever dries out again the seams will be bigger. This problem is worsened if frames are sistered after they've been broken for a while. This is what happened to Ranee. So when I was replacing the frames I used straps to pull the planking back together in the worst spots. Crude I know, but it works. I also had to pull the stringers up to the diagonally opposite topside to close the planking at the turn of the bilge.

Purri, karri is even worse then jarrah in regards to stability, I only used it for the frames because it bends ok and is what nearly every H28 on the swan river has. Karri also doesn't glue well and is not as rot resistant as jarrah. If I was going to do any framing again, I would be tempted to try Jarrah.

Comment

• Martin B.
                        • Jun 2013

Nice work Ken ! Raced against "Rugged" and some sisterships back in the early '70's in Div 3 on the River in a van de Stadt Juno . Always thought Len's 'Rugged' design looked just like an H24 ( or 23 as applicable). Think "Rugged" might have even done a Mandurah or Bunbury Race in the day. Of course the tum 'Haze' and 30 square Joyous with open cockpits, pumped their way south and back then in the days of the mighty battles between Eunamara, Starfire, Panamuna etc.
                        Cheers from Martin B.
                        Mandurah, Western Australia
                        [email protected]

Comment

• PeterSibley
                          • Dec 2001

Thanks for the reply Kevin, interesting comments as I've occasionally looked at dry hulls but shied off at the thought of all those opening backbone timbers ... but it looks as if you have things nicely under control.

For interest sake tallowwood or spotted gum would be a normal backbone over here on the East coast and spotted gum for frames. The boat in the photo I posted has pressure impregnated hoop pine planking and is perfect 45 years after launching.
                          Grateful Dead

Comment

• Aquinian
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by kforth
                            Jarrah is good timber but it isn't as stable as cedar or teak etc. and I think as the planking gets older it swells considerably, putting a lot of stress in tension on the frames. If any of the frames are in bad shape the planks can swell such that if it ever dries out again the seams will be bigger. This problem is worsened if frames are sistered after they've been broken for a while.
                            Hi Kevin, that sounds very like what I saw when I briefly considered taking on a Randell 28 (photos here: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...8-Carvel-Yatch ) Note the sisters, and broken sisters.

Originally posted by kforth
                            Karri also doesn't glue well
                            Kevin, is this an issue over time, or is it something you have found when actually gluing? We've been gluing up laminated sisters for our boat, from Karri strips, on the advice of local shipwrights. It's going OK so far: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...49#post4649749

Should we be worried?
                            Last edited by Aquinian; 10-16-2015, 03:54 AM.

Comment

• Wooden Boat Fittings
                              • Oct 2001

Lovely work, Kevin. Congratulations on such a hard slog but producing such wonderful results.

This designer isn't as well-known as he mightg be, in my view. There are some pictures of one of his thirty-footers on this page, and the common design influence between the various vessels is evident.

Mike
                              Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Comment

• kforth
                                • May 2014

Hey Aquinian,

That 28 footer is a lovely looking little boat but I agree with what most the others said. She would have to be reframed and the seams pulled back together. To reframe it you would have to pull the deck and sheer clamp and bilge stringers. You could leave the clamp and stringers in but they are a pita to work around and would probably be quicker to take them out. Also, once you get her out of the water, you will keep finding more and more problems. The guys are right, a really good survey from someone you trust is crucial but, as I found out the hard way, when you spend a couple of months working on/looking at it you will find a lot more then they can in the short time they inspect it. I'm sure you are experiencing this with your Athur Bishop design.

As for gluing Karri, I have heard mixed reports (which is bad in itself). Personally I have not experienced any failures but I did do some testing after I heard this and found that it definately doesn't glue as well as Jarrah. All the frames in Ranee are Karri and about half of them are laminated. I used west system mostly and I did a few with weldwood (I want to see how that holds up). If you have confidence in your shipwright and he/she says it's fine, I'd go with it. There is so much heresay/opinions around wooden boats and glues and timber species and paints and almost everything that sometimes things can get confusing very quickly.

If I was going to do it again, I'd use Jarrah, just to be safe. Or steam in solid frames.

Cheers Mike, it is a hard slog but I'm chipping away at it.

Comment

Working...