Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 24' Len Randell Sloop Rebuild

Default Re: 24' Len Randell Sloop Rebuild

Jarrah is wonderful timber.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I spoke to local shipwright Alan Johns just now and he said karri was used because it was cheaper or more available. He'd use jarrah by preference, but he said karri is fine. So that's interesting.
    Makes sense to me. Getting green Jarrah is a bit tricky, Karri not so much.

Last I knew, Len was still alive. I do a bit of sailing at SOPYC and apparently he visits frequently.

Peter it would probably be easier (and cheaper) to buy white oak over spotted gum. Jarrah is very good but its dimensional stability lets it down a bit, in my opinion.

Len must be 90 odd, Kevin, so he's doing well!

What do you sail? There's a very significant fleet of H28s there...

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinian View Post
    Len must be 90 odd, Kevin, so he's doing well!

What do you sail? There's a very significant fleet of H28s there...
    Yeah I sailed on a H28 for a couple of years. Not so much now. I seem to be busy doing other things these days..

Quote Originally Posted by kforth View Post
    Makes sense to me. Getting green Jarrah is a bit tricky, Karri not so much.

Last I knew, Len was still alive. I do a bit of sailing at SOPYC and apparently he visits frequently.

Peter it would probably be easier (and cheaper) to buy white oak over spotted gum. Jarrah is very good but its dimensional stability lets it down a bit, in my opinion.
    Surprising in a way but understandable , WA is a long way from here !
    Grateful Dead

Nice work Kevin.

This thread reminded me of an attractive small yacht I saw at Redland Bay during a visit to Brisbane in April this year. She really appealed to me and I took some photos for future reference. She appears to be the same boat as the one in Peter Sibley's photo earlier in this thread. A bowsprit has been added along with a glass and aluminium hatch in the cabin top forward of the mast.

It would be interesting to know the reason for adding the bowsprit. Was it to gain more sail area, correct excessive weather helm, or some other reason? The mast step seems to be in the original position.

Anyway, great work on the restoration Kevin. Please keep posting as you progress.

Spinner, my YM 3-Tonner Sanderling started out as a sloop, sans bowsprit. But a former owner decided that he wanted a cutter rig, and added a bowsprit just like yours. From my own experience with adding a headsail (in that case on my fifteen-footer Aileen Louisa), the additional drive from the extra headsail was amazing -- which was why I think that earlier owner did what he did to Sanderling.

I might also say that Sanderling was about the same size as that little cutter you have there -- 20' on deck, 17' LWL, and with another 4' for the bowsprit.

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Spinner, yes... that is the same boat and Redland Bay is home. She would be roughly 45 years in the water, CCA impregnated hoop pine planking on spotted gum, all copper fastened ad a damn good job of it.
    Grateful Dead

Hey All,

Long time no post. I've done a bit more work on Ranee, but I spent more time organizing the workshop to make it more civilized to work in.

I made some racking and a mobile bench.

Also cracked on with the transom and deck. The hull still isn't finished but i wanted to do something different for a change.

There is a heap more photos on my Google Photos page - https://goo.gl/photos/vivYiVgfLRDfqg4i6

Cheers!

Not much old wood left, but you're doing a damn good job. She'll be a beauty when done.

Took some time off work and spent a few weeks working every day. I think I should change her name to "The Black Hole of Man Hours"

The first job was to make and fit all the remaining missing planks. This actually took me quite a while.

I made a plywood template the full length for the plank behind the bilge stringer. I have found that it you make your spiling batten/pattern as wide as possible, edge set problems are greatly reduced.

Here I'm getting the plank in position before I can start seeing if it fits. I usually do one trial fit to check/mark all the seams then put it in for good.

I had to scarf this plank because I cant get a butt block behind the stinger (well i might have been able to but I would have had to use screws instead of nails)

The ratchet strap worked well for pulling in the plank ends

Here have finished the other planks but still have the topsides left. Getting the topside planks on made me real happy for some reason!

The other side on. I have also scraped all the paint off. That nearly took me a day and a half!

Topsides on, nails in but still need riveting.

I measured up and cut the butt blocks out all at once.

I left most of the planks a bit thicker so they could be planed back fair. Notice I said most. a few of the planks are too thin in spots. This is one of the many mistakes I have found that I made 1 or 2 years ago. Here I have started planing.

I jacked my cradle up so the water line is level, making it easier to work on the cabin and cockpit. I also gave me more room for fairing underneath the hull.

I think it was mostly fair by this stage. The camera angle adds 5 foot!

I made some bungs for the old engine water intake and some other through hull.

I sanded the bottom and gave it a coat of primer

Also gave the inside some primer/undercoat. Made it look heaps better. It also looks bigger. You can't really see it but it seems I spent days fixing small defects and plugging holes etc.

It's been 42 years since I saw a 24 foot Randell being planked . She looks great, really solid and a lovely shape!
    Grateful Dead

I gave the topsides a coat of undercoat primer, so now you can see all the tool marks I left behind!

I did a mock up of the cockpit to help me decide the dimensions.

Here I have made a tent around the waterline and got my humidifier swelling the bottom half of the boat. After a couple of weeks I think ill be able to caulk her up.

I am making some mounts for the cross beams that run under the cockpit. They will be copper fastened to the hull.

I have taken all the rudder gudeons/pintles to a machine shop to be repaired. I would normally do it myself but I am too slow as it is!

This is where I am at for now. I want her in the water this winter, lets see how I go!
    Last edited by kforth; 05-02-2016 at 04:56 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by kforth View Post
    Hi everyone,

I spend a heap of time looking at pictures on this forum and they have helped out a lot. So I thought I'd add some of my own.

Im rebuilding Ranee, a 24' Len Randell designed sloop (the original was called "Rugged"). It is taking me quite a while, but I'm getting there. It's been a huge learning curve but I've learnt a heap. The hardest thing about the whole project is keeping (or restoring) the shape of the boat. I've had to replace every single frame, nearly every one was broken. I wish I had more of the earlier photos but I lost a heap when my computer imploded. I am now working on the few remaining planks that need replacing and then the deck framing.

Heres the link https://goo.gl/photos/vivYiVgfLRDfqg4i6

Cheers

Kevin
    Hi Kevin, Ranee is a beautiful boat ....I should know given I used to own her ! It is probably some 30 + years since we parted and I have very fond memories of our times on the Swan River . Over the weekend , I was wondering whether any "Rugged's" were still around and googled "Len Randell Rugged " and that led me to your post above . Suffice to say I was gobsmacked when your link went to photos of Ranee. A serendipity moment indeed. It is a shame that you have sourced an engine because I still have the rebuilt Yanmar diesel that was installed in her ( long story) . Anyway, would love to see her again "in the flesh " so to speak. I have some old photos of her that may be of interest too . Will try and track you down through a PM , otherwise, I can be contacted on 0408748582. Cheers, Simon

This one is still sailing and in excellent condition on Moreton Bay Simon. "Rosealisel"

Grateful Dead

Here are some more pictures. I have got a bit more done but progress is slow when you don't put the time in. Slow and steady..

What timber are you using for deck beams Kevin?

and those bends and knees came up beautifully !
    Grateful Dead

Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post

Hi Peter, all the deckbeams are Oregon/Douglas Fir. I bought the timber second hand off gumtree, milled and then laminated them. Most of the timber I have is off gumtree.

Thanks Kevin, I'm accumulating good oregon for my next build too, all demo.
    Grateful Dead

Beautiful workmanship!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Great job Kevin....and your photography is pretty good also.
    Keep up the good work ....and the posts!
    PeterW