Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turning the shed into a wood shop

Default Turning the shed into a wood shop

I finally bought a shop of my own! Oh, it comes with a house too.

After several months of life, the universe, and everything getting in the way, it's time to turn this humble little structure into a wood shop. Its 15'x18'.

First step: Clean it out!

R-11 in the walls and R-19 in the ceiling. 7/16 OSB sheeting for the walls. It was cheap.

The walls are done today, which is fantastic! I have one man door, and one 8' wide sliding door.

Next project is the floor. We are going to float a 3/4" T&G plywood floor on top of some 2x stringers.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

Default Re: Turning the shed into a wood shop

Very nice!
    Not bad size either.
    Should be nice warm in rainy season, especially with wooden floors.

I'm in the process of lining and floring part of my big agricultural shed/garage/boat store/workshop. Steel frame, concrete floor, colour bond cladding. It get's cold and hot.

It looks perfect Ben! How big is the yard? Shed for the tools, build in the yard. You'll have a 38 foot boat in no time! I'll help measure, next time I'm in the neighborhood.

Jim
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Congrats on the new house. You've needed a shop for quite a while now. Consider painting the OSB a nice bright white. It makes a big difference in the winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Ben... I think you're looking at this all wrong. Have you considered LIVING in the shed, and turning the larger structure into the boat shop??? 270 s.f. is not a bad little TinyHouse. Maybe a bumpout for a bathroom and a child's bedroom... and voila!!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

A tinyhouse would be so very Bellingham. You'd be a leader in your artisan hippie community.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Most definitely paint the osb with a good vapor retardant paint. This will both brighten things up and cut down the rate of formaldehyde off gassing. Your nose will thank you for this. Also, some closed cell foam (xps type) under the ply flooring will add insulation. Toasty feet make for a happy boat builder. By using foam, you may be able to dispense with the 2x sleepers. Fasten the ply directly to the concrete by shooting through the foam. Or glue it all down.

Congrats on the new digs.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    Most definitely paint the osb with a good vapor retardant paint. This will both brighten things up and cut down the rate of formaldehyde off gassing. Your nose will thank you for this. Also, some closed cell foam (xps type) under the ply flooring will add insulation. Toasty feet make for a happy boat builder. By using foam, you may be able to dispense with the 2x sleepers. Fasten the ply directly to the concrete by shooting through the foam. Or glue it all down.

Congrats on the new digs.

Jeff
    plus 1 on the paint

There is lots of paint in the future. Everything will be getting painted a light color, probably white.

Todays accomplishment was getting most of the floor laid down. I didn't think to insulate the floor. Hmmmmm....

Ben Sebens, RN

Not to worry on the floor, Ben. Old throw rugs go a long way to insulate your tootsies. ;-)
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic; save the country.

Quote Originally Posted by BBSebens View Post
    There is lots of paint in the future. Everything will be getting painted a light color, probably white.

Todays accomplishment was getting most of the floor laid down. I didn't think to insulate the floor. Hmmmmm....
    When you know where the tools are going to be, lay insulation, run the conduits for your power supplies and top it off with a new floor surface.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

My basement has a similar floor, uninsulated, and it's fine with slippers (I live down there). For a shop I can't see you having any problems.

Finished laying the floor today. I had some discussion about the floor with my Father-In-Law, Steve (seen in pic below), who didn't have any concerns. He and I will be sharing this space. No worries, our goals are aligned! In any case, cold floors are fine, this is not going to be a bare-foot approved space. Shoes or boots at all times.

We also sheeted the ceiling. Its not a real tight job, but it will suffice.

My Shop Assistant began his specialized training today. Seen here breaking the bare feet rule.

Also, here's a shot of the back side of the shop. We busted up a sidewalk to make a patio, so we laid out the broken concrete as a rough parking pad for Matty. It works great, and I didn't have to dispose of the concrete. The fence panel behind it is removable, to enable access to the backyard for *ahem* larger items.

Ben Sebens, RN

I used OSB on the walls and ceilings of my shop. I disposed of every partial can of odd-colored latex paint in my my house by using it for the first couple of coats as primer. I finished up with one color and saved a ton of money. That stuff drinks paint.

Congrats on the new digs!

Quote Originally Posted by dktyson View Post
    I disposed of every partial can of odd-colored latex paint in my my house by using it for the first couple of coats as primer. I finished up with one color and saved a ton of money. That stuff drinks paint.

God, do I have a basement full of PRIMER!
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.

I used OSB on the walls and ceilings of my shop. I disposed of every partial can of odd-colored latex paint in my my house by using it for the first couple of coats as primer. I finished up with one color and saved a ton of money. That stuff drinks paint.

Congrats on the new digs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steamboat View Post

God, do I have a basement full of PRIMER!

Ooh! I have a cabinet full of "primer" too then! My wife is a big fan of the mistint bin at the local paint store.

Ben Sebens, RN

Today we painted. My wife, Brenna, picked up 5 gallons of this nice light grey commercial grade interior latex in the mis-tint pile. $10. Done. Took us about an hour to roll the walls and ceiling. For now, the floor will be bare plywood, to show the evidence of projects and they pass through.

Painting was a group effort. The Shop Assistant was introduced to Paint 101, and passed with ... flying colors? The Grandparents were very proud.

Ben Sebens, RN

That is going to be a very nice little shop. I don't see much in way of electricity though, future addition?
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    That is going to be a very nice little shop. I don't see much in way of electricity though, future addition?
    Pretty much. I have a 30 amp circuit run to the shop, which could theoretically support 220, if need be. At the moment, I have a single light and 1 4-plug box. This will be expanded with wall mounted conduit, based on layout and need, as things progress.

Ben Sebens, RN

Today, we Benched!

It turned out pretty well I think.

The Supervisor came by for a visit too.

Stowage of tools and materials will commence shortly.

Ben Sebens, RN

Well that looks like it is going to be a proper boat building shop! That wooden floor will make your feet and back smile! The bench may tell you, later on, that it wants to be longer! No shop is complete without a dog and a good wood burning stove! What is shop dog's name?
    Bravo for you and crew!
    Jay

You screwed up by putting plywood on that bench. Now it will collect a lot of crap.

Ask me how I know this.

Jeff

The Supervisor came by for a visit too.

Stowage of tools and materials will commence shortly.
    Vizsla? Pretty dog, pretty rare breed. Very sweet and attentive breed to their owners. . .
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 08-14-2015 at 03:31 PM.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

oh yeah, congrats on the shop!
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Well that looks like it is going to be a proper boat building shop! That wooden floor will make your feet and back smile! The bench may tell you, later on, that it wants to be longer! No shop is complete without a dog and a good wood burning stove! What is shop dog's name?
    Bravo for you and crew!
    Jay
    A wood stove is being considered. The bench is a starting point, to be expanded upon as projects should require. We opted for a minimal build-out at this point, to allow for greatest flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Vizsla? Pretty dog, pretty rare breed. Very sweet and attentive breed to their owners. . .
    The Supervisor's name is Quincy, an 8 yr old Vizsla. He's a good dog, and lives up to the "velcro dog" sentiment that they have garnered.

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    You screwed up by putting plywood on that bench. Now it will collect a lot of crap.
    Jeff

Its already begun. The Law of Horizontal Space is in good effect. I have added some shelving units to relieve some of the demand, but its only a matter of time.

On the plus side, we had our first Official Shop Meeting today, attended by 4 generations of woodworkers, tinkerers, and Dreamers-At-Large.
    Last edited by BBSebens; 08-14-2015 at 11:56 PM.

Ben Sebens, RN

Nice one, Ben! Looks like a good place to meet, and tinker, and dream!

Excellent! It'll make a fine boatshop. Are you thinking of another boat building project?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

First job: Frame the 4 generations picture and hang it on the wall.

I have a major case of shop envy now!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    She:Kon, pronounced "Say-go" is a traditional Iroquois greeting that means "Do you still have the Great Peace?" (Old forum name: KnottyBuoyz)

First job: Frame the 4 generations picture and hang it on the wall.
    An excellent idea! I'm gonna do it.

Quote Originally Posted by knottyBuoyz View Post
    I have a major case of shop envy now!
    Well, it's no BBBBB (is that 4 or 5 B's?)' but I think I do something with it.

Excellent! It'll make a fine boatshop. Are you thinking of another boat building project?
    Always. First, I have some furniture repair to do, and some deferred maintenance on my existing peapod to take care of. A new build is definitely in the future though. No idea what.

Ben Sebens, RN

In case you haven't chosen a stove yet, I can vouch for this one. I had a stove that was made out of an oil drum that lay horizontal on steel legs. It was not engineered right and had a bad habit of belching smoke back though the door vent and was a general pain in the backside to use. A local stove company was relocating and I got this floor model Vermont Castings Stove at dealer's cost plus ten which, was a big savings over the regular price, so much so that I couldn't pass it up.
    Even though I thought it was a bit fancy for the shop, I have not regrets in getting it. The stove is catalyzed. For that reason, I found that it is rated very clean burning and does not require non use on no burn days because of its efficiency. In short, it is very green in addition to the color! It keeps the shop toasty no matter what the outside temperature is. I am going to buy one for the garage apt. we are building. Really a good item! It does not eat a lot of wood and that is a savings in itself! My shop, like yours, is under construction. Although it may look too close to the wood siding it isn't because of its rating. It also sits on a tile pad. This is a summer shot so the stove is not in use.
    Jay

Today, we Benched!

It turned out pretty well I think.

Looking good! A workbench that catches the sun is one of life's simple pleasures.

Are you going to put rainwater guttering on the outside of the building?
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    In case you haven't chosen a stove yet, I can vouch for this one. I had a stove that was made out of an oil drum that lay horizontal on steel legs. It was not engineered right and had a bad habit of belching smoke back though the door vent and was a general pain in the backside to use. A local stove company was relocating and I got this floor model Vermont Castings Stove at dealer's cost plus ten which, was a big savings over the regular price, so much so that I couldn't pass it up.
    Even though I thought it was a bit fancy for the shop, I have not regrets in getting it. The stove is catalyzed. For that reason, I found that it is rated very clean burning and does not require non use on no burn days because of its efficiency. In short, it is very green in addition to the color! It keeps the shop toasty no matter what the outside temperature is. I am going to buy one for the garage apt. we are building. Really a good item! It does not eat a lot of wood and that is a savings in itself! My shop, like yours, is under construction. Although it may look too close to the wood siding it isn't because of its rating. It also sits on a tile pad. This is a summer shot so the stove is not in use.
    Jay
    The concern about a wood stove is floor space. I haven't got much to spare. I have a cousin who is a contractor, who happens to have a nice wood stove taking up space in his shop. He would give it to me for a very reasonable price. For now, I think we will try the oil filled electric radiator style heaters, and see how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    Looking good! A workbench that catches the sun is one of life's simple pleasures.
    Are you going to put rainwater guttering on the outside of the building?
    I'm very happy with the bench. Gutters were installed Thursday. A rain barrel will be made up to capture some of it.

Ben Sebens, RN

The oil filled rads work great. I have electric baseboards in my old home, and instead of using those to heat half the outdoors I use two rads for the entire house. Works fine, and reasonable monthly elec charges.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic; save the country.