Thread: Recommended finish for OSB shop floor

Default Recommended finish for OSB shop floor

The floor of my new shop is Advantech OSB. It'll be subjected to the ordinary abuses of a woodworking/boat building shop.
    I'm undecided whether to finish it with good old alkyd porch&deck paint or one of the solvent-based two-part epoxies like Rustoleum EpoxyShield.
    What say you?

Default Re: Recommended finish for OSB shop floor

My closest experience to this: Many years ago I painted my plywood shop floor with a water based floor paint. It held up well enough that I'd do it this way again. Figure that if you get excessive wear in the heavy traffic areas, they will be easy to re-coat. Being heavy traffic area, they won't be covered by machines, benches, etc. Keep it simple.

I have also clear coated osb when making indoor furniture. The material absorbs finish unevenly until sealed. An expensive finish may become even more so if you want a uniform look. Another reason for simple.

Jeff

My above the garage shop floor is OSB. It is very hard to sweep. As a result, the shop is a total mess and the benches are piled high with junk. I wish I had painted it.

Quote Originally Posted by CundysHarbor View Post
    I wish I had painted it.
    its not too late
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by CundysHarbor View Post
    My above the garage shop floor is OSB. It is very hard to sweep. As a result, the shop is a total mess and the benches are piled high with junk. I wish I had painted it.
    Lucky you. My benches are also piled high and, having an easy to sweep concrete floor, I have no excuse.

Jeff

I have found it easier to run a shop-vac over the floor once in a great while, sweeping just seems to raise a cloud of fine dust and the vacuum gets into the nooks and crannies of the building frame better too.

If you decide to paint the floor, think about color. I like the natural OSB color of mine, the rest of my shop is painted white ( walls and ceiling) it can get pretty bright, the brown floor doesn't create any additional glare.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

I'm thinking that it should be the color of sawdust, a light tan.

For cleaning, I'll try opening the 9' door and firing up the leaf blower.

My big question is whether epoxy paints hold up any better than good old alkyd-polyurethane porch&floor enamel.
    Last edited by JimConlin; 08-01-2015 at 09:31 PM.

Advantech is a much better product for this than typical osb, you made a great choice. I spec it for any new subfloor that might ever see moisture due to it's coating. I would definitely use the two part epoxy with Advantech because it's not going to shrink and swell like a fir porch would and doesn't need the flexibility of an alkyd. As for durability of the epoxy, I have customers whose garage floors I epoxied 10 years ago that are still holding up fine.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike J View Post
    Advantech is a much better product for this than typical osb, you made a great choice. I spec it for any new subfloor that might ever see moisture due to it's coating. I would definitely use the two part epoxy with Advantech because it's not going to shrink and swell like a fir porch would and doesn't need the flexibility of an alkyd. As for durability of the epoxy, I have customers whose garage floors I epoxied 10 years ago that are still holding up fine.

Mike
    My builder gets the credit for picking Advantech.
    I'll ask the painter to do epoxy.
    Thanks.

100% solids - solvent free floor epoxy - wet thickness equals dry thickness so will bury the wood texture. And you can use the left over epoxy for boat building!

paul
    progressive epoxy polymers

The stuff I used on Marmalade's decks (and is now further improved for boat use) was made for this. Sani-Tred is an industrial strength floor covering that in dry use is not slippery but if you had a shop with lots of spilled liquids you'd want to add the non-skid granulated rubber bits they make for it. It's non-brittle and very easy to keep clean. And very very tough so if you have any rolling tools, no damage.

www sawmill creek org/showthread.php?209893-Finishing-AdvanTech-Flooring
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...nTech-Flooring
    This is the first lesson ye should learn: There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, it doesn't behoove any of us to speak evil of the rest of us.
    E. Cayce

Quote Originally Posted by paul oman View Post
    100% solids - solvent free floor epoxy - wet thickness equals dry thickness so will bury the wood texture. And you can use the left over epoxy for boat building!

paul
    progressive epoxy polymers
    I wonder where I might buy that miraculous stuff.

I'd pick a color that didn't hide all the things I drop on the floor. The raw ply floor in my shop is all too good at making dropped stuff invisible.
    White would be way too much work to keep clean obviously. Maybe pale grey floor paint?

Grey worked out just fine for me. You should find other alternatives at https://revetementagro.com/produits/garage

Plain old grey porch and deck enamel. Roll on two coats and Bobs your uncle.

Quote Originally Posted by JimConlin View Post
    I wonder where I might buy that miraculous stuff.

Ask and he shall receive

https://armorpoxy.com/interior/garag...e-floor-epoxy/

https://www.armorgarage.com/garage-e...-chip-kit.html
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. ó P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Jim Conlin- What did you eventually do and how did it go?

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    Jim Conlin- What did you eventually do and how did it go?
    I used this stuff.DFA8378C-98B9-4F8B-9F9E-36E4F0367EAB.jpg , tinted tan and itís held up well.
    THe floor is 3/4Ē Advantek and the paint took 3 gallons to cover ~500 ft^2.
    I would do the same again.
    Itís had the paint and epoxy dribbles of 9 boats and some furniture over four years and itíll soon get a re-coat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I used that SW Pro Industrial for a commercial job last fall, clothing store cabinetry, they supplied the paint. Worst experience I have ever had with paint and I paint often. It rolled on and left bubbles. I sprayed and it left bubbbles. Can't recommend that paint ever. ProClassic or Emerald are excellent. Recently used SW All Surface Enamel for restaurant steel bases for outdoor tables and it sprayed very well.

Both my home shops, one all wood machines, one for welding/plasma table and cnc have Advantech premium OSB floors and hold well with no finish at all. Just vacuum up regularly. 7 years on first workshop, 2 years on second. If you want to paint then just use a quality porch paint. Keep it simple.
    - John

Light colored floors are helpful if you drop a small part and need to find it for finishing that project you started last week!
    Jay

Just laid 2 layers of OSB on my new shop floor, over perfectly nice concrete, which I do not not want to walk on.

Gonna finish it with Doug Fir T & G made from trees I had to take out to make room for shop.

Stay tuned...

Pics as you go. Why two layers?

Lots of pics of entire build progress, planning to start a thread when shop complete.
    I started out thinking I would lay down 1-1/8” OSB or ply in order to have enough depth to nail the Fir down to. Then I tried lifting a sheet and had a little think.
    So went to the two layers in order to spare my aching muscles, comes out about the same material cost, and I waited to rent the powder gun until it was all laid.
    Started this out by doing the visqueen test to make sure slab was completely dry, then laid down 15 lb roofing felt.

I suppose a nice painted shop floor has its advantages. I keep seeing pictures in the magazines and on TV woodworking shows of shops that look like surgical operating rooms fully equipped with fixed filtered vacuum systems that automatically switch on if somebody so much as farts in them, so I guess that's the current style. However, in terms of cost and "ambience," I have become accustomed to shop floors that are finished with odd spots of different colors of paint and dollops of hardened epoxy punctuated by the occasional piece of masking tape that's merged irretrievably with the floor's surface, much like a shop putterer's Jackson Pollock masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek View Post
    I suppose a nice painted shop floor has its advantages. I keep seeing pictures in the magazines and on TV woodworking shows of shops that look like surgical operating rooms fully equipped with fixed filtered vacuum systems that automatically switch on if somebody so much as farts in them, so I guess that's the current style. However, in terms of cost and "ambience," I have become accustomed to shop floors that are finished with odd spots of different colors of paint and dollops of hardened epoxy punctuated by the occasional piece of masking tape that's merged irretrievably with the floor's surface, much like a shop putterer's Jackson Pollock masterpiece.
    Sounds like my kind of shop, except in mine I struggle to see the floor!
    If you cant make it accurate, make it adjustable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek View Post
    I I have become accustomed to shop floors that are finished with odd spots of different colors of paint and dollops of hardened epoxy punctuated by the occasional piece of masking tape that's merged irretrievably with the floor's surface, much like a shop putterer's Jackson Pollock masterpiece.
    I worked at a shop once and was painting a boat's bottom with that Hydrocoat anti-fouling paint when it first came out. I was on a creeper and knocked over a half gallon of the stuff. It was a late Friday afternoon. The shop paint foreman gave me unshirted hell about it while I was cleaning up and I kind of lost it. I yelled back at him about how a potential customer had come in a few days before asking about having his boat painted and asked to see the paint room. The paint foreman wasn't around, nor was the shop's owner, so I lead him to it. The prospect looked around at the disorganized mess, shook his head and left. I enjoyed revealing that, especially because the boss was listening to the ruckus from the top of the stairs. The next Monday the paint room was a lot cleaner.

My shop was built to the building code standards for a garage, with a concrete floor thatís sloped toward the door. Over that are sleepers to get it back level, insulation between them and Advantek, as described above.
    My big reason for repainting it is so I can find a fifty cent fastener in the dust.