Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2341353 ... LastLast

Thread: Some real Aussie Politics

Default Re: Some real Aussie Politics

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Raise the GST and bugger around with peoples super is not tax reform.
    You know Abbott went on about the age of entitlement being over, well if the situation is that bad then I think it's time it drew to a close on political and corporate entitlement as well. For a start politicians should get the same pension and level of health care as everyone else. Last I heard the corporate sector owed over 8 billion dollars in unpaid tax, well it's time they stopped budging off the tax payers and paid their share.
    Here we go.

Proposals to make politicians shoulder their share of the weight now that the Age of Entitlement is over:
    1. Scrap political pensions.
    Politicians can purchase their own retirement plan, just as most other working Australians are expected to do.

2. Retired politicians (past, present & future) participate in Centrelink.
    A Politician collects a substantial salary while in office but should receive no salary when they're out of office.
    Terminated politicians under 70 can go get a job or apply for Centrelink unemployment benefits like ordinary Australians.
    Terminated politicians under 70 can negotiate with Centrelink like the rest of the Australian people.

3. Funds already allocated to the Politicians' retirement fund be returned immediately to Consolidated Revenue.
    4. Politicians will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Politicians pay will rise by the lower of, either the CPI or 3%.

5. Politicians lose their privileged health care system and participate in the same health care system as ordinary Australian people.
    i.e. Politicians either pay for private cover from their own funds or accept ordinary Medicare.

6. Politicians must equally abide by all laws they impose on the Australian people.

7. All contracts with past and present Politicians men/women are void effective 31/12/14.

The Australian people did not agree to provide perks to Politicians, that burden was thrust upon them.
    Politicians devised all these contracts to benefit themselves.
    Serving in Parliament is an honour not a career.

Why does the left swallow and keep regurgitating pap like this?

From October 2004, after the Liberal / National Coalition reformed parliamentarian's superannuation entitlements, any new parliamentarian gets a 9% employer contribution.

That's the same as everyone else.

Will the left please ditch the crap and come to the table with clean hands?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    False flag operation. The private providers (read banks) think that 'level playing field' means they get to charge their fees. Most people in industry funds made a decision to join. As far as I know no private business default scheme was an industry fund. QED
    Are you in favour of unions and all super funds having the same rules applied to them in relation to transparency and accountability for members/contributors/shareholders funds, or not?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Now, now Gary, the end of the Age of Entitlement only applies to the 'lower classes' ( as Bronwyn would call them). The top end do very nicely and will continue to do so.... if Hockey has any say in it.
    Eleven years ago, the Liberal / Nationals reformed that. If you stopped carping on with this sort of rhetoric and took notice of the reforms they institute, you'd see the progress that they made.

But it serves the Lib's demographic. They don't like people without money ...... they're surprisingly Calvinist, wealth being a sign god's grace .
    Exactly - that's why they create an environment where people can succeed. World poverty has halved since 1990. I know that deflates your ability to crow about inequality... but its a fact. Deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Are you in favour of unions and all super funds having the same rules applied to them in relation to transparency and accountability for members/contributors/shareholders funds, or not?
    I may be wrong, but I don't think that was the problem. I'll go back and look at the arguments.
    But Industry funds are outpacing the for profit ones on a regular basis and I think that is seen in some circles as a problem. A bit like Rupert getting his nose out of join over the ABC.

I may be wrong, but I don't think that was the problem. I'll go back and look at the arguments.
    But Industry funds are outpacing the for profit ones on a regular basis and I think that is seen in some circles as a problem. A bit like Rupert getting his nose out of join over the ABC.
    Let me explain one of the problems with an example. A union does a sweetheart deal with an employer and locks the workers in to a union super fund (it happens). Follow it through and who do you find on the board of that super fund? The union officials, of course. Here's their link to their financial activities. Well, that clears things up, eh? I wonder what the board earns?

Why does the left swallow and keep regurgitating pap like this?

From October 2004, after the Liberal / National Coalition reformed parliamentarian's superannuation entitlements, any new parliamentarian gets a 9% employer contribution.

That's the same as everyone else.

Will the left please ditch the crap and come to the table with clean hands?
    The trouble with clean hands is it usually takes both to get them clean...the left and the right. Sadly they seem more intent on arm wrestling each other.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

An interesting quote about the current stone around the government's neck and the whole issue of double standards. Was there a joke above about clean hands ?

More particular in Bishop's case is Abbott's own test of probity expressed from the opposition benches. Remember his words about Peter Slipper – now deleted from his website? Just in case you don't, here they are:
    "Well this does go to the integrity not just of the Parliament but of the Prime Minister and of the government. The Prime Minister cannot wash her hands of this business the way she has tried to wash her hands of the allegations concerning Mr [Craig] Thomson because Mr Slipper is no mere backbencher. Mr Slipper is the Speaker of the Parliament. Mr Slipper occupies a very, very important office. He is the guardian of the standards of the Parliament, the protector of the reputation of the Parliament."
    Update the names and Abbott's remedy for all this seems pretty clear.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/comment/ton...#ixzz3hQ23C5v6
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Ian, #76. "Here's their link to their financial activities"
    Link not working for me.

Ian, #76. "Here's their link to their financial activities"
    Link not working for me.
    Ian, can you fix this link?

Ian, can you fix this link?
    I think they need to fix their link. That was my point, btw.... where's the probity?

Meanwhile, I see one of Labor's shadow ministers spent $16,000 on flying his family around the country. Great, eh?

... if someone has control over others' money, it should be transparent and subject to scrutiny. eg audited
    Ian, do you mean politicians who spend taxpayers' money on helicopter jaunts?
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

I see one of Labor's shadow ministers spent $16,000 on flying his family around the country.
    But he apologised and paid it back didn't he, so what's the problem?

It seems to me that sometimes your arguments are low on principles and high on pragmatics (a word that Fraser brought to politics). That might be okay as long as you applied them evenly across parties.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Boat Fittings View Post
    Ian, do you mean politicians who spend taxpayers' money on helicopter jaunts?
    Which is precisely why you know about that flight. Do you support the same transparency for unions and industry super funds?

But he apologised and paid it back didn't he, so what's the problem?

It seems to me that sometimes your arguments are low on principles and high on pragmatics (a word that Fraser brought to politics). That might be okay as long as you applied them evenly across parties.

Mike
    .... or do you only attack the Libs all the time?

Let's take a breath and go back a minute here, eh?

How can this exchange --

Ian -- if someone has control over others' money, it should be transparent and subject to scrutiny. eg audited

Mike -- Ian, do you mean politicians who spend taxpayers' money on helicopter jaunts?

possibly produce this response --

Ian -- Which is precisely why you know about that flight.

as any sort of logical reply?

Bishop's rorts have not been subject to scrutiny, nor are they audited (by anyone other than herself), any more than are any other politicians'. The system's wrong, and it should be changed, that's all -- across the board. Mr Bishop's wife (assuming there is a Mr Bishop), like Caesar's wife, should not only be above suspicion but should be seen to be. At the moment, the opposite applies -- anything she does is now viewed as likely to be dishonest.

As you don't seem to have been following my posts very closely, l'll say for the record that I do not "only attack the Libs all the time". If you happen to mean that my personal views are rather liberal while my politics are definitely not Liberal, you'd be correct. If you went on to say that my politics also are not Labor, you'd also be correct. In my posts I have consistently said, not only that we presently have a terrible government, but also that (at least until last weekend, which has changed things a little) no-one could vote for Labor either.

Mike

Let's take a breath and go back a minute here, eh?

How can this exchange --

Ian -- if someone has control over others' money, it should be transparent and subject to scrutiny. eg audited

Mike -- Ian, do you mean politicians who spend taxpayers' money on helicopter jaunts?

possibly produce this response --

Ian -- Which is precisely why you know about that flight.

as any sort of logical reply?

Bishop's rorts have not been subject to scrutiny, nor are they audited (by anyone other than herself), any more than are any other politicians'. The system's wrong, and it should be changed, that's all -- across the board. Mr Bishop's wife (assuming there is a Mr Bishop), like Caesar's wife, should not only be above suspicion but should be seen to be. At the moment, the opposite applies -- anything she does is now viewed as likely to be dishonest.

As you don't seem to have been following my posts very closely, l'll say for the record that I do not "only attack the Libs all the time". If you happen to mean that my personal views are rather liberal while my politics are definitely not Liberal, you'd be correct. If you went on to say that my politics also are not Labor, you'd also be correct. In my posts I have consistently said, not only that we presently have a terrible government, but also that (at least until last weekend, which has changed things a little) no-one could vote for Labor either.

Mike
    Why resort to sexism?

Bishop's travel claims are most certainly audited.... and if you can't follow that logic, maybe you should be working in Canberra, you'd fit right in there. Oh... sorry.

The only union credit cards that have ever had their spending aired have been those exposed during court cases.

If I thought for one minute Ian that was all the attention to Industry Super Funds was about I'd agree with you like a shot. It comes down to trust, and I do not trust this government or their financiers. Auditing of union officials expenses is another matter and I have no problem with that. So you are saying that Union's accounts are not audited at present? Or that the auditors report is not published?
    There's a major sized PDF from the CFMEU here
    http://www.cfmeu.asn.au/sites/cfmeu....10143750-2.pdf

I see that the enquiry is not impressed by some of the CFMEU auditing, or lack of it
    "Building Industry 2000 holds functions including the Grand Final Breakfast and the CFMEU Golf Day. It sells drinks through vending machines on building sites and has other sources of income. It buys and sells CFMEU branded merchandise. It has very little by way of financial accounts and has received heavily qualified audit reports over the past 3 years."
    http://www.michaelsmithnews.com/2014...ing-today.html
    The building industry has cowboys on both sides of the fence, and is amongst the most dangerous and insecure employment about. Which is no excuse, but organisers need to be very tough, and preferably single.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 08-02-2015 at 02:31 AM.

If I thought for one minute Ian that was all the attention to Industry Super Funds was about I'd agree with you like a shot. It comes down to trust, and I do not trust this government or their financiers. Auditing of union officials expenses is another matter and I have no problem with that. So you are saying that Union's accounts are not audited at present? Or that the auditors report is not published?
    My understanding... which is based on discussions rather than reviewing anything, is that the intention is to have equivalent independent scrutiny of union affairs as is applied to public companies. That means an independent audit. As we've seen in recent years, there's been some dreadful misdirection of members' contributions. Bill's been ducking for cover on his own front there.

As far as trust... it isn't a matter of which government (and when you say financiers, I presume you mean donors to the parties?)... it's a matter of those using other peoples' funds being subjected to independent review, so that we can trust those people with the funds

See my edit #87. I can but agree with that.

My understanding... which is based on discussions rather than reviewing anything, is that the intention is to have equivalent independent scrutiny of union affairs as is applied to public companies. That means an independent audit. As we've seen in recent years, there's been some dreadful misdirection of members' contributions. Bill's been ducking for cover on his own front there.

As far as trust... it isn't a matter of which government (and when you say financiers, I presume you mean donors to the parties?)... it's a matter of those using other peoples' funds being subjected to independent review, so that we can trust those people with the funds
    Nicely put.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

See, we can finally have a civil discussion again.

I'd like to see some mechanism whereby relatively uninformed investors , which means most people in receipt of their Super package can have some trust in the "financial advice " industry. It has a deservedly shocking reputation and a large number of would be investors are too scared to approach said industry for fear of being scammed. They put their money in the bank for a poor return and safety.

What is needed is some very public and very well enforced form of rating system for "advisers"so that some confidence can return to the scene..
    Grateful Dead

I'd like to see some mechanism whereby relatively uninformed investors , which means most people in receipt of their Super package can have some trust in the "financial advice " industry. It has a deservedly shocking reputation and a large number of would be investors are too scared to approach said industry for fear of being scammed. They put their money in the bank for a poor return and safety.

What is needed is some very public and very well enforced form of rating system for "advisers"so that some confidence can return to the scene..
    Yes, while we're at it, let's have the same rating system for used car salespeople

Caveat emptor

If one is against legal standards for ethical and transparant dealings, one might just say so.

But meanwhile, the comparison to auto sales is not half bad. I don't know if Australia has anything comperable to the better of US states' "Lemon Laws" that can be used to effectivly punish crooked used car dealers and get the customer out from under a cheating deal. Something like that could be crafted for investments leaving only the likes of the Texas Attorney General unhappy.

If financial advisers are the same as used car salesmen we are in deep trouble, it's a LOT more important.

There was the Financial Advice Bill of 2014 but it seems to have been watered into obscurity. The initial bill require advisers to work and to give advice in the interests of the client, not a popular suggestion with a scam industry thick with kickbacks and the Libs decided to supporter retirees with their Super payouts ? Noooooo , don't be silly . It supported the scammers .
    Grateful Dead

Caveat emptor must always apply. No matter how many laws, how much nanny state regulation we end up with, there's always going to be crooks. Crooked cops, crooked lawyers, crooked advisers and crooked clients. A financial adviser doesn't set a client's risk appetite.

Does that fact that "Caveat emptor must always apply" [#96] mean that no effort should be made to craft laws against financial advisors abusing their fiduciary trust?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Does that fact that "Caveat emptor must always apply" [#96] mean that no effort should be made to craft laws against financial advisors abusing their fiduciary trust?
    If that's the level you think we operate at... who are we to disabuse you of your prejudices?

Now Ian (BF) don't retreat into your old ways again. The Financial Advice bill was emasculated, and the fraudulent behaviour of the Comm. Bank and it's advisors were not considered important enough for an enquiry. Looking after their financiers again. And whlst you are correct re the absolute application of Caveat Emptor, some better regulation is warranted. However there are always some investors who ignore the dictum, if it looks too good to be true it probably is.

Just trying to clarify the position and thus learn what reforms may be on the table and who, if anyone, believes that reform is either unneeded or futile. In the US, regulatory notions appear to revolve around controling how transaction fees affect managers' trading decisions and the extent to which investor expectations can be insulated from unrealistic hype. It's an interesting subject because regulatory strategies to prevent fraud and abuse are not at all obvious.

We have laws against straight forward theft but if Ian's formula were to be applied to robbery as it is to financial advice the victim would be told there is no real law against stealing your wages, you should have taken better care of them. Caveat Emptor !! Rubbish.

I had though for a couple of posts the Ian was serious about being anything but a stooge for the Liberal Party. I was wrong, he hasn't changed and isn't capable of giving a reply that may reflect badly on his mates.

Back on ignore again .... not worth reading.
    Grateful Dead

I suppose that Ian's slant puts the emphasis and responsibility for investor caution on the free market and the individuals choice, whilst those from 'the left' desire a more regulated environment. The fee structure of some of the 'advisors' was, and may be again parasitic if not actually predatory.

Oh, I think we've moved a bit Peter.

BTW, I/we apart from compulsory super, have always looked after our own investment strategy. Maybe an advisor with a commission would have done better, maybe not. Early on I lost quite a bit using just that system, and eventually It would have all gone. I learnt my lesson. It seems to have worked out quite well, but it requires work, and reading, and listening, and common sense. I can see it wouldn't work for everyone.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...torney-General #10 givs an idea where Ian McCoglin is coming from, and illustrates the investor traps precisely. The advisor lied for his personal advantage.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 08-02-2015 at 07:54 AM.

I just had a relative get fleeced by some scamming thief in a suit, politely though, with a winning smile and just legally. But the suit no doubt votes Lib ..... but interestingly the victim in this case votes National. Were the government interested in it's constituents and not just it's "donors" things would change..... but Ian has laid out the Liberal attitude to consumer protection in this industry..... caveat emptor and count the donations.
    Grateful Dead

We have laws against straight forward theft but if Ian's formula were to be applied to robbery as it is to financial advice the victim would be told there is no real law against stealing your wages, you should have taken better care of them. Caveat Emptor !! Rubbish.

I had though for a couple of posts the Ian was serious about being anything but a stooge for the Liberal Party. I was wrong, he hasn't changed and isn't capable of giving a reply that may reflect badly on his mates.

Back on ignore again .... not worth reading.
    Ha ha. Tell me how this works again.... I treat a troll post with respect and give it an appropriate answer, and then someone else chucks the kiddie tantrum.... but no-one calls him to account.

Grow up Sibley. You spout the rubbish of the extreme left, then whenever you are called on it, you post rubbish like this - put words in someone's mouth.... and then hide behind your skirt. White feather territory. Go on, grow up, be a man and defend the rubbish words you are trying to put in my mouth.

I don't expect anything else from a present day conservative government. No one should looking at the evidence.
    If you sup with the devil……………….
    But let us not fool ourselves that a Labour government with it's slew of hangers on and factional debts would be all sweetness and light.