Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue Canoe

Default Re: Blue Canoe

I see the Blue Canoe has sprouted outriggers in the latest video. How did it sail?

It seemed to sail pretty well. Slightly slower, but otherwise about the same, minus the sliding seat gymnastics. My dad launched it and sailed for a couple hours. His only complaint was about how it gets a little wet in the cockpit when you bury an ama. As the ama comes back up, the water hits the square aluminum akas and redirects it nicely into the cockpit. It tacks and gybes about the same, but with less drama. It is still faster than both of the Geese.

The design is very similar to Michael Storer's drop-in outriggers. Similar length, volume and construction. I had to make some changes to get them to work with the particulars of the canoe, but nothing radical. They could be raised a few inches to give the windward hull more clearance off the water. Not sure it would make a material difference. I took a short ten minute lap and there really weren't any surprises. Super easy to sail and still quick.

I still have the sliding seat, which is my favorite configuration. It takes about five minutes to swap back and forth. Now we have options for level of difficulty and effort. It allows more people to use the boat.

Thanks for the report, very interesting.
    Same sail as the Goose?
    A very subjective question - how does the fun factor compare to the Goose? Which actually feels faster?

Yes, same 89 sq. ft. balance lug as the Goose. Well, the white Goose. The green Goose is sporting the 105 sq. ft. GIS sail and bigger spars now. The Geese are no slouches for feeling quick, but the canoe still wins in that department. Tiny puff and you're suddenly boat lengths ahead. It doesn't spray as much water around, or leave a wake that looks like mowed grass, but the acceleration almost feels illicit in the canoe. It has been my favorite boat for performance sailing and it seems like that will still be the case with the outriggers.

Thanks for making up my mind!