Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remember the "Perfect Power Boat Design" thread? Well, she's launched!

Default Remember the "Perfect Power Boat Design" thread? Well, she's launched!

Several years ago I started a thread in the Design forum, for a power boat design that met my needs. (thread here: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...sign&highlight=)

I chose Tad Roberts BP26 design, and after a 3 1/2 year build, she was launched on Fathers Day. She has exceeded my expectations in looks, handling, seaworthiness, space and comfort. I tip my hat to Tad for his genius. (Tad's page: http://tadroberts.ca/services/small-...g/berrypoint26)

Jeff

"You only live once--but if you work it right, once is enough."

Default Re: Remember the "Perfect Power Boat Design" thread? Well, she's launched!

Very nice, any pictures on plane?

Default Re: Remember the "Perfect Power Boat Design" thread? Well, she's launched!

Great looking boat. Much nicer than a Hinkley.

Launch day, breaking in new engine, about 16 mph.

Stunning, very nice work indeed, congratulations on the launch

mike

Lovely!
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

A fine looking vessel, excellent proportions. Nicely done!!

ETA:

Looking at Tad's plans, it looks like you made a few minor changes. For one, he specs a 90hp, but you have a 115. Also, did you make the cabin a little longer?

The more I look at it, the more I agree with the "perfect power boat" idea. I think I'd ask for a sterndrive over an OB, but that's a matter of personal preference.
    Last edited by BBSebens; 07-24-2015 at 01:11 PM.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

Very very nice. Beautiful work and a nice design. A day to make you proud.
    Tom L

That looks so sweet.
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

I am not a power boat guy, but I find that nicely drawn, and built. Kudos!
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

Exactly the sort of thread to encourage other builders.You have the satisfaction of boating in exactly the boat you hoped for and it looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Great looking boat. Much nicer than a Hinkley.
    .....Just don't use the P word, or we'll all be in trouble!

Huge respect to Jeff, hell of a job. Many good days ahead........
    http://www.tadroberts.ca
    http://blog.tadroberts.ca/
    http://www.passagemakerlite.com

Jeff, what a beautiful boat! Fantastic job. She looks to be bigger than she actually is; nicely proportioned. Just a classy look.

Take Care,
    Mike

Awesome work on a great design.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Fantastic! Congrats on a great build.
    Was there a build thread on this boat?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    .....Just don't use the P word, or we'll all be in trouble!

Huge respect to Jeff, hell of a job. Many good days ahead........
    Right Tad, I avoid the P word like the plague too. Never been and never will be a "P" boat. That doesn't detract from what looks like a really good boat though.
    Tom L

Beautiful boat. Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Fantastic! Congrats on a great build.
    Was there a build thread on this boat?
    although I took hundreds of photos during the build, I had precious little time to post a build thread. Spent nearly every weekend for 46 months "stealing" family time; staying married meant weekdays were no-boat days per SWMBO.

Hope your dear mate appreciates the gift of a sweet ride on the wateró that is a pretty design and it looks efficient and handy as well: nice to have built something so useful and beautiful as well.

Absolutely amazing build! Congratulations.

Finastkind.

That is a beautiful boat! Looks to be a perfect trailerable coastal cruiser for exploring Florida, the Keys, and beyond.

If you get some free time to post up pictures, a few of the cockpit, cabin, and build would be appreciated.

Any idea what it weighs as built? Cruise and max speeds with the 115?

Matt

Very nice work.. Love the design, beautiful.
    Is that motor bolted to the transom or are you running a jack plate?

Quote Originally Posted by MattGent View Post
    That is a beautiful boat! Looks to be a perfect trailerable coastal cruiser for exploring Florida, the Keys, and beyond.

If you get some free time to post up pictures, a few of the cockpit, cabin, and build would be appreciated.

Any idea what it weighs as built? Cruise and max speeds with the 115?

Matt
    I'll post some interior pics soon. Haven't weighed it yet but, as usual, I probably overbuilt it and she's a little heavy.

She cruises very nicely at 4400 rpm and 20 mph, using 5.1 gph. I'm not getting full range on the morse MT3 so she tops out at 5300 rpm and 26 mph. These are right at the design numbers for a 90 hp, thus confirming the extra weight. Or, I need to re-prop.........

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Vogdes View Post
    Very nice work.. Love the design, beautiful.
    Is that motor bolted to the transom or are you running a jack plate?
    Bolted to the transom. She only draws about a foot so I can play in the shallows pretty well.

Just saw this. Fantastic job on a gorgeous boat. Rick

Congratulations on a very handsome vessel....well done!

I think you built the perfect boat! Please post more pictures. I was also wondering if your motor is a 20 inch.

Ely / Boundary waters canoe area wilderness

Very nice ! ill echo the requests for more pics
    editor sought , untill found i apologize for the grammer and spelling

I somehow missed this one. Thanks to those who bumped it. Most lovely.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I've been looking for something along these lines for quite a while. I have another project to get out of my shop before I could start this so I'm trying to learn as much as I can for now. That boat will look as good in twenty years as it does now; the lines are timeless, purposeful and elegant. An inboard or stern drive, like I've had before might be good but the new, four stroke outboards, the 150 hp Mercury in particular, have actually become a better alternative. I think this boat would get close to 6 mpg with that motor.

Nice boat. Well done.

Boat looks great. Tad Roberts has great practical designs. I have his Timbercoast 22 design and hope to build someday. Just curious to what size the fuel tank(s) are and where they are placed ? Enjoy your new boat.

Sean

Very nice
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

Jeff,
    That is gorgeous. I'm currently building a 25ft powerboat and I hope it comes out anything near as well. Thank you for sharing it. It is an inspiration.

James.