Thread: Falmouth 6 Ton Pilot Restoration

Default Falmouth 6 Ton Pilot Restoration

Back in March, I acquired a beautiful 26ft Falmouth 6 Ton pilot, designed by Rodney Warrington Smythe and built by Les Blundell of Cowichan Bay Shipyards, Canada, in 1968.

Curlew III, as she is named, had been sitting at the dock for three years before I found her. I thought that I'd share some of what I've been doing, in the hopes that I can gain advice and comments from all of you wooden boat enthusiasts! I've learned so much over the past few months, but there is always more to learn, and I'd be happy if you wanted to give me some tips!

Here are a few photos.

When I first found her, she looked like this.
    https://flic.kr/p/w2WEfW

My first task was to get the fibreglass off the cabin. The fibreglass was cracking, which led to water getting in behind it and sitting on the wood. I was really lucky because in all but one spot, the wood hadn't been damp long enough to be affected. However, I will have to do something about that one spot... anyway, here's a photo of the fibreglass stripping process (not fun!!)

https://flic.kr/p/w3zv2e

Once the fibreglass was gone, I gave it a good sanding and a coat of cetol marine lite

https://flic.kr/p/vL5WGF

Next, it was time for the decks. The decks had been covered in varnish, which was peeling right off. I scraped and sanded for another eight hours or so, and it came out looking like this:

https://flic.kr/p/v6yxPQ

And then, cetol on the decks and some white undercoat on the cabin tops!

https://flic.kr/p/vL5Wdz

And the (finished for right now anyway) product:

https://flic.kr/p/v6yx77

You can see that piece of rot on the front of the cabin in this one. I've just let it dry and covered it with cetol for now while I figure out what to do with it... thoughts?

https://flic.kr/p/t4P4vh

Thanks everyone! More photos as they come And if you want to follow along more, I've posted more stuff to my little 'boat blog' which is www.mayabroeke.com

-Maya

PS, how do you post photos on this technologically backwards forum?? :P

Default Re: Falmouth 6 Ton Pilot Restoration

I save images to Photobucket, it is dead easy from there.
    Someone who uses Flickr will be along to explain soon.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Get the photo URL from flickr, click the "Insert Image" button, go to the "From URL" tab and be sure to uncheck the "host locally" tick box. Why the default on that is set to something that does not work, is just one of those mysteries we confront in life.

My Goat Island Skiff Project Photos:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/999065...7648295059621/

Nice boat.

I have seen that boat, and admired it very much, partly because I had a very similar boat designed by another Warrington-Smythe...Nigel. I did not know she was built in Cowichan Bay. Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

Welcome!
    Very nice boat. I'm guessing you have a Falmouth in BC?

Check your sea-cocks, anode connections, and shore power earthing when you have a bit of time off from the decks...

Congratulations on the boat and welcome to the Forum! Curlew looks like a nice boat. You've probably already thought of this, but since your boat has been tied up for a while, it would probably be a good to have it hauled out or put it on the grid (if you have one there) to paint the bottom and have an opportunity for a thorough inspection. It would also be a good idea to pull a few fasteners below the water line to check their condition. Don't be surprised to find a few issues.

Good luck and I hope you keep us posted on your progress.

Jim- currently deep into the rebuild of an 80 year old boat acquired in a similar fashion.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Aboard my boat in an Auckland, NZ, Marina.

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    Welcome! Very nice boat. I'm guessing you have a Falmouth in BC?
    They may indeed have - I don't know. The Falmouth referred to here though is the UK one. Rodney Warrington-Smyth was a British designer. His Falmouth Pilots were in series production in the UK in two sizes. "Curlew" is one of the small size. I'm pleased to see one of these nice little ships has been built outside the UK.
    "The truth shall make ye fret" - Terry Pratchett

Well, this is a Falmouth Pilot cuttebr />

So I suggest that Curlew's class is as accurately named as the Cornish Crabber range of boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Well, this is a Falmouth Pilot cuttebr />

So I suggest that Curlew's class is as accurately named as the Cornish Crabber range of boats.
    Ooooh! Ouch!

But I don't think the word "cutter" was ever used in connection with the R W-S design - except no doubt by some yachtbroker or other.
    They are/were nice, simple, sturdy boats; nice examples of that type of boat. Quite good looking too.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnJ2ds View Post
    Ooooh! Ouch!

But I don't think the word "cutter" was ever used in connection with the R W-S design - except no doubt by some yachtbroker or other.
    They are/were nice, simple, sturdy boats; nice examples of that type of boat. Quite good looking too.
    Curlew III has no bowsprit if I am interpreting the photo set correctly, so she is a sloop not a cutter.
    However the west coast channel pilot skiffs were cutters, so if you search for Falmouth Pilot, you get images of cutters.

There was an old thread, possibly the same boat: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...th-pilot-sloop

The name "Curlew" means it evokes the feeling of the most famous Falmouth Quay Punt.

I'm sure it does not meet Nick's academic standards of authenticity. That however is no reason not to be hospitable to this new owner. .
    Last edited by Hwyl; 07-17-2015 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    The name "Curlew" means it evokes the feeling of the most famous Falmouth Quay Punt.

I'm sure it does not meet Nick's academic standards of authenticity. That however is no reason not to be hospitable to this new owner.
    just sorting out a possible misunderstanding caused by post #6.
    You should look at the old thread I linked, which covers just this issue as well as possibly referring to a sister to Curlew III.
    Last edited by Peerie Maa; 07-17-2015 at 02:42 PM.

I love English designs, sloop, cutter, punt, pilot, crabber alike. Love the Curlew III! Any profile pics, pics down below? Under sail?

What's the hull built of/how's it built?

If she's true to the original design, she's built sturdily in traditional carvel. Tree wood!

I may have sail and accommodation plans of one, possibly both sizes in an old "Yachting World Annual". Due to slow project (several ) progress it's a bit hard to access anything in my storage unit just now, but I'll see if I can dig it out.

My boat is very similar - a Pilot 6 Ton designed by Rodney Warrington Smyth and built in Port Credit, Ontario (to the Falmouth specifications). Mine seems to have a smaller cockpit and has been pretty much rebuilt.844.jpg1070.jpg
    Last edited by Brig; 03-14-2019 at 10:25 AM. Reason: add photo