Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is known about the Cascadia Fault line

Default Re: What is known about the Cascadia Fault line

Quote Originally Posted by Shang View Post
    Oh hi, KMac. You still happening here?
    Dang, no wonder he's on ignore

Lay your bets! What will come first, the big Cascadia subduction and tsunami, or the big San Adreas shaker? Both are due any time in the next several hundred years!

Scary stuff Elf, but thanks for posting.
    I remember a quake here in I think it was '74. Ashtray hit the floor, cups fell from cupboard, doors had to be planed the next day.
    I can see Mt. Baker from my window. It's a volcano.

Going to bed now, doubt I'll be able to sleep though.
    basil

I was in the Columbia Center (76 stories) when the Nisqually earthquake hit. The building rocked and rolled like a ship at sea. But its flexibility allowed the energy to dissipate without any damage. We were on the 21st floor and had 55 stories above to move. It was quire a ride.
    Elect a clown expect a circus

That Nisqually earthquakr was the one that permentlly relocted Seattle about 5mm to the NE.

What does a city weigh ?
    basil

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    I live 30 miles north of Seattle in a 1908 home whose foundation is simply posts. Trust me, the thought of a big earthquake has been a goad in getting my boat built so I can buy a sturdier home. All I need is about another year.
    In the Christchurch quakes, the houses on pile foundations were generally the best performing, and by far the easiest to re-level where they did get knocked out of kilter. The important thing was that the bearers/joists had to anchored to the piles to stop the building jumping off its found.
    The newer homes on concrete slabs have been been a bit of a nightmare, and required far more intrusive repair methods where the slab has failed.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    In the Christchurch quakes, the houses on pile foundations were generally the best performing, and by far the easiest to re-level where they did get knocked out of kilter. The important thing was that the bearers/joists had to anchored to the piles to stop the building jumping off its found.
    The newer homes on concrete slabs have been been a bit of a nightmare, and required far more intrusive repair methods where the slab has failed.

Pete
    I've seen houses loosely attached to piers here lifted by a mini tornado then dropped, piers 6 foot long on 6 foot centres make a bit of a mess when they come straight through the flooring . Pete's suggestion is good, lots of bolts !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

The quote from the link is particularly chilling .

In the Pacific Northwest, everything west of Interstate 5 covers some hundred and forty thousand square miles, including Seattle, Tacoma, Portland, Eugene, Salem (the capital city of Oregon), Olympia (the capital of Washington), and some seven million people. When the next full-margin rupture happens, that region will suffer the worst natural disaster in the history of North America. Roughly three thousand people died in San Francisco’s 1906 earthquake. Almost two thousand died in Hurricane Katrina. Almost three hundred died in Hurricane Sandy. FEMA projects that nearly thirteen thousand people will die in the Cascadia earthquake and tsunami. Another twenty-seven thousand will be injured, and the agency expects that it will need to provide shelter for a million displaced people, and food and water for another two and a half million. “This is one time that I’m hoping all the science is wrong, and it won’t happen for another thousand years,” Murphy says.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I was aboard BETTY-B on my way through Montlake Cut into Lake Washington during the 2001 earthquake. There were no other boats on Lake Union or Lake Washington that day. The boat felt like it was coming apart and was floating away with the wheel left in my hands. I took it out of gear, looked around a bit, put it back into gear and said "I think we just had an earthquake". Then, of course, my phone started going off with people asking where I was and stuff. Crazy.

Log book says:

2/28/01

07:43 Left Shilshole for Lake Union.

9:38 Arrived at Center For Wood Boats.

10:54 Earthquake while heading through Montlake Cut. Strange. Melting.

There's a small fault goes up the creek cut about 50m from my front door. We are on deep clay with old ice age gravels below. We get a small shake occasionally as not far away is the main uplift fault where the hills rise abruptly from the coastal plain which is in turn a slumped basalt shield some 40 miles wide and about 75 long.
    Biggest quake we had in this area we were living in a house 12 ft up on steel girders and I was up a ladder inside painting. The ladder fell over and so did I. And the paint.

We have a good supply of water in plastic jugs kept in a reinforced box I built for the job, and one of these full of food and other necessities. Being on the east side of Vancouver Island its not likely we'd experience any tsunami but the quake would be very bad.

There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Hey, look at the bright side, if the Yellowstone super volcano blows first, the Cascadia fault will be irrelevant.
    And in either event the right wingers will contend that both are Obama's fault.

Here's the fun part:

Compressional waves are fast-moving, high-frequency waves, audible to dogs and certain other animals but experienced by humans only as a sudden jolt. They are not very harmful, but they are potentially very useful, since they travel fast enough to be detected by sensors thirty to ninety seconds ahead of other seismic waves. That is enough time for earthquake early-warning systems, such as those in use throughout Japan, to automatically perform a variety of lifesaving functions: shutting down railways and power plants, opening elevators and firehouse doors, alerting hospitals to halt surgeries, and triggering alarms so that the general public can take cover.

The Pacific Northwest has no early-warning system. When the Cascadia earthquake begins, there will be, instead, a cacophony of barking dogs and a long, suspended, what-was-that moment before the surface waves arrive.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gray View Post
    Lay your bets! What will come first, the big Cascadia subduction and tsunami, or the big San Adreas shaker? Both are due any time in the next several hundred years!
    Word is Perry and Cruz are negotiating with both faults to slip just before the election. They figure it'll take out a lot of blue voters.Trump is financing the deal.
    Last edited by Reynard38; 07-14-2015 at 09:58 AM.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gray View Post
    Let's also add the Cumbre Viega volcano on La Palma. An event there will likely send a tsunami of biblical proportions across the Atlantic that will wreck the entire coastlines of north and south America. My money is on that one.

The way I figure it, the quake will jar our house off the bluff which will then slide down to the marina below where our boat is moored and fully stocked with food, water and diesel. We can then board the boat and escape to South Sound where the tsunami will be minimized. After the tsunami passes, we can then cruise back north before the Mt. Rainier glaciers melt and slide down the Nisqually valley and into South Sound. Then after a bit of time has passed, we can return and tie up the boat in Idaho.

One of my cousins went through a big quake in Southern California. His two hints: put glasses and shoes by your bed. The glasses on your night stand will fly somewhere can't find them and you'll need shoes to walk on all the debris.

I don't worry much about the Big One. The Earth does not run like clockwork. Geological time and human time are very different. And, most importantly, it ain't nothing I have any control over
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Earthquakes are a worry, makes me want to move to a safe part of the planet.
    We don't know how lucky we are....

Quote Originally Posted by seanz View Post
    Where would that be?

Texas would be a good choice. Not seismically active, but there may be other hazards.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryLL View Post
    Texas would be a good choice. Not seismically active, but there may be other hazards.
    The worst end of all would to be bored to death.

Jeff C

Texas? Floods, tornadoes.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Where would that be?
    If you want to live in the US in an area or minimal risk for earthquakes, move to the midwest -anywhere between Ohio and Nebraska and north of Arkansas

What's so funny about peace love & understanding?

Texas? Floods, tornadoes.
    Texans.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianY View Post
    If you want to live in the US in an area or minimal risk for earthquakes, move to the midwest -anywhere between Ohio and Nebraska and north of Arkansas
    Yellowstone can still get you there.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryLL View Post
    Texans.
    Sir, I am aghast! Texans are some of the nicest bestest people ever, Glen Longino and Willie Nelson are both Texans. So there.

Come to Wales, only very infrequent very small eathquakes - test your tolerance for drizzle.

Avoid the Newport Levels - not tsunami proof.
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

I think I'd rather chance an earthquake than tornadoes. I think people who live in Tornado Alley are a lot more stalwart than I want to be.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Tournedos you say....
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Getting in to the gallows humor, are we?
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by BrianY View Post
    ...with a fair chance of tornadoes, blizzards, and, if you're really lucky, a hurricane! - Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Scientist View Post
    ...with a fair chance of tornadoes, blizzards, and, if you're really lucky, a hurricane! - Tom
    Yup. You have to choose which sort of natural disasters you're willing to put up with. There's nowhere on the planet that is "safe"

What's so funny about peace love & understanding?