Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confederate Flag is taken down from Capital grounds in SC

Default Confederate Flag is taken down from Capital grounds in SC

A great number of people are happy to see that flag come down. The 'good guys' won a battle.

I fear, strategically, winning this battle makes the war more difficult to win. Next time a civil rights issue reaches our Supreme court, I can almost hear Scalia or one his his conservative colleagues pointing to that flag coming down as proof racism no longer exists in this country.

I also expect the racist organizations are already considering how to retaliate. I hope I'm wrong, but I expect more violence.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Default Re: Confederate Flag is taken down from Capital grounds in SC

Ha ha. Our Prime Minister's adviser on Indigenous affairs in the Northern Territory, where I think we probably have our largest indigenous population, is in the news having been photographed at a party wearing a shirt made up of a confederate flag. He says no offence was meant and he just didn't realise the significance! Seriously? Is the guy completely stupid or just dishonest? The PM says honest mistake, nothing to see here, let's all get back to slagging the ABC where heads must roll after they allowed an extremist Muslim air time on a chat show about extremist Muslims.

dumbass

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I just got home but i knew they must have taken it down. I was coming home a few minutes ago and 2 douches in a bubba-truck with a big confederate flag flying from the bed and South Carolina license plates went flying by me on US 17

Quote Originally Posted by RichKrough View Post
    I just got home but i knew they must have taken it down. I was coming home a few minutes ago and 2 douches in a bubba-truck with a big confederate flag flying from the bed and South Carolina license plates went flying by me on US 17
    I wonder....if two flags, the Confederate and American, were standing on a muddy field and a stiff wind started knocking them over, would those two bubbas dive to save the Confederate or the American flag from falling into the mud?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Donn View Post
    Never take John Smith's reporting as fact.

They're taking the flag down, with a ceremony, tomorrow morning at 10AM EDT.
    Ah, Ok, Thanks

Ok. That is over with. Can someone run the country now?
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by RichKrough View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one that uses the term "bubba truck"!

Funny that when I was in Germany I didn't see anybody flying a swazstika off the back of their Mercedes.

The damn civil war was what, 150 years ago? WW2 was 1/2 that?

The Germans got over it, so should the rednecks hanging onto that rag. Invariably when they show some supporter of the stars and bars it's some room temperature IQ, inbred, hill scoggin stump****.

They are a shame on a part of the U.S. that I love and call home.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

It is a symbol of a defeated army, same as the swastika. Losers. Get on with running a democracy. It takes leaders that we don't have. Doesn't look good any time soon.
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one that uses the term "bubba truck"!

Funny that when I was in Germany I didn't see anybody flying a swazstika off the back of their Mercedes.

The damn civil war was what, 150 years ago? WW2 was 1/2 that?

The Germans got over it, so should the rednecks hanging onto that rag. Invariably when they show some supporter of the stars and bars it's some room temperature IQ, inbred, hill scoggin stump****.

They are a shame on a part of the U.S. that I love and call home.
    Ditto, Everyone i know around here is just tired of hearing about it.

Its DOWN

“The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice.”― Martin Luther King Jr.

Watching it live on the news how come i see the troopers using a crank on the poll to lower it???? I thought it could not be lowered to half staff ??? Seems to this old Sailor it could have been.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

“The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice.”― Martin Luther King Jr.
    Great quote, but misattributed. King was quoting Theodore Parker (1810-1860) a Unitarian minister and one of the transcendentalists, a friend of Emerson and Thoreau.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Is this 'flag' the South Carolina 'State flag'?

If not, why was it ever allowed to be flown on the State Capital grounds or buildings from the time the US Civil war was over until present?

BTW, I understand that THIS is the South Carolina State Flag :

Interesting that it has a crescent moon included in it.
    I live and drink rum where other people vacation.

Looked like they were ready for a riot with the amount of firepower on display.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I wonder....if two flags, the Confederate and American, were standing on a muddy field and a stiff wind started knocking them over, would those two bubbas dive to save the Confederate or the American flag from falling into the mud?
    At the time, I suspect a Union soldier or a Confederate one would take up their individual flag if it fell. On the same thought, either side would retrieve the other's flag when one side was defeated. in battle!

Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing…after they have exhausted all other possibilities.
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

The Germans got over it, Rich, I don't think the Germans HAVE gotten over it! The Nazi stigma will last as long as they are still alive! It will diminish with the younger generations I suspect.

How much do you pay for a loaf of bread in NYC? What's the cost of living up there?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Best question that anyone has asked on this forum in a good long time.

Adams, John G. B.John G. B. Adams Army O-01Second Lieutenant Battle of Fredericksburg, Virginia 000000001862-12-13-0000Dec 13, 1862 Seized the 2 colors from the hands of a corporal and a lieutenant as they fell mortally wounded, and with a color in each hand advanced across the field to a point where the regiment was reformed on those colors.
    Aheam, MichaelMichael Aheam Navy Paymaster's Steward Aboard the USS Kearsarge off Cherbourg, France 000000001864-06-19-0000Jun 19, 1864 Served on board the USS Kearsarge when she destroyed the CSS Alabama off Cherbourg, France, 19 June 1864.
    Alber, FrederickFrederick Alber Army E-01Private Battle of Spotsylvania Court House, Virginia 000000001864-05-12-0000May 12, 1864 Bravely rescued Lt. Charles H. Todd of his regiment who had been captured by a party of Confederates by shooting down one, knocking over another with the butt of his musket, and taking them both prisoners.
    Albert, ChristianChristian Albert Army E-01Private Battle of Vicksburg, Miss. 000000001863-05-22-0000May 22, 1863 Gallantry in the charge of the "volunteer storming party."
    Allen, Abner P.Abner P. Allen Army E-04Corporal Third Battle of Petersburg, Virginia 000000001865-04-02-0000Apr 2, 1865 Gallantry as color bearer in the assault on Fort Gregg.
    Allen, JamesJames Allen Army E-01Private Battle of South Mountain, Md. 000000001862-09-14-0000Sep 14, 1862 Single-handed and slightly wounded he accosted a squad of 14 Confederate soldiers bearing the colors of the 16th Georgia Infantry (C.S.A.).
    Allen, Nathaniel M.Nathaniel M. Allen Army E-04Corporal Battle of Gettysburg, Pa. 000000001863-07-02-0000Jul 2, 1863 When his regiment was falling back, this soldier, bearing the national color, returned in the face of the enemy's fire, pulled the regimental flag from under the body of its bearer, who had fallen, saved the flag from capture, and brought both colors off the field.
    Ames, AdelbertAdelbert Ames Army O-02First Lieutenant First Battle of Bull Run, Virginia 000000001861-07-21-0000Jul 21, 1861 Artillery commander who stayed with his battery despite grave wounds.
    Ammerman, Robert W.Robert W. Ammerman Army E-01Private Battle of Spotsylvania Court House, Virginia 000000001864-05-12-0000May 12, 1864 Capture of battle flag of 8th North Carolina (C.S.A.), being one of the foremost in the assault.
    Anderson, BruceBruce Anderson Army E-01Private Second Battle of Fort Fisher, North Carolina 000000001865-01-15-0000Jan 15, 1865 Voluntarily advanced with the head of the column and cut down the palisading.
    Anderson, Charles W.Charles W. Anderson Army E-01Private Battle of Waynesboro, Virginia 000000001865-03-02-0000Mar 2, 1865 Capture of unknown Confederate flag.
    Anderson, Everett W.Everett W. Anderson Army Sergeant Crosbys Creek, Tenn. 000000001864-01-14-0000Jan 14, 1864 Captured, single-handed, Confederate Brig. Gen. Robert B. Vance during a charge upon the enemy.
    Anderson, Frederick C.Frederick C. Anderson Army E-01Private Battle of Globe Tavern, Virginia 000000001864-08-21-0000Aug 21, 1864 Capture of battle flag of 27th South Carolina (C.S.A.) and the color bearer.
    Anderson, Marion T.Marion T. Anderson Army Captain Battle of Nashville, Tenn. 000000001864-12-16-0000Dec 16, 1864 Led his regiment over 5 lines

This is only a partial list, only the "As" for Medal of Honor recipients. Those capturing battle flags are highlighted

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Mike View Post
    How much do you pay for a loaf of bread in NYC? What's the cost of living up there?

[Edit] Avg. Range
    Milk (regular), (1 gallon) 4.88 $

Loaf of Fresh White Bread (1 lb) 2.73 $

Rice (white), (1 lb) 1.78 $

Eggs (12) 3.34 $

Local Cheese (1 lb) 5.32 $

Chicken Breasts (Boneless, Skinless), (1 lb) 5.14 $

Apples (1 lb) 2.21 $

Oranges (1 lb) 2.35 $

Tomato (1 lb) 2.08 $

Potato (1 lb) 1.36 $

Lettuce (1 head) 1.96 $

Last update: July, 2015

But it's all relative to
    Median Income. NYC Neighborhoods. The median household income across New York City stands at $50,711, according to 2010-2012 estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau.

Memphis, TN Income and Salaries. The income per capita is $21,368

And this has WHAT to do with taking down the confederate flag ???

Wrong thread Joe!

I buy the two for $5 whole grain multigrain bread on sale. ( 80 miles outside the city)

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Small bakery! Local distribution $3.99

O.K.. The flag is down. So what happens now? Hopefully all of those folks who lobbied so hard for this have a plan to create jobs, improve education, etc. Because if they don't they were just a bunch of posers who were covering their own arses to make sure they get re-elected next go round.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    O.K.. The flag is down. So what happens now? Hopefully all of those folks who lobbied so hard for this have a plan to create jobs, improve education, etc. Because if they don't they were just a bunch of posers who were covering their own arses to make sure they get re-elected next go round.

Mickey Lake
    Donno but, read the thread "tit for tat" for one result!

Hopefully all of those folks who lobbied so hard for this have a plan to . . .
    Making one small improvement doesn't mean we can fix everything. They're not necessarily connected.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Making one small improvement doesn't mean we can fix everything. They're not necessarily connected.
    The mind set (in cement) still exists!

Mick, great trees from small acorns and all that. I know it's not pleasant, but eventually this too shall pass.

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    Wrong thread Joe!
    Nope MMike asked

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Mike View Post
    I answered and was confused why it was included in this thread as well

Maybe people will take you down from your pedestal!

Quote Originally Posted by KMacDonald View Post
    A little responsibility would be in their best interest. "Taking down" other people certainly won't help. Most people realize that win-win solutions are the only lasting ones.
    Tell that to Sherman

The fact that a lot of the political divisions in the US still follow the lines of 1860 indicates that Sherman's solution, while quite effective in the short term, left a lot of problems unsolved.

Richard Feynman

OK the flag's down, how much history has been erased?
    Trust me to defend the Constitution just as soon as I'm sure you're going to vote for me again.