Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: Building a 10 ft Dinghy (#127; Gartside)

Default Re: Building a 10 ft Dinghy (#127; Gartside)

Thanks for the compliments guys! It is real fun to build the boat. Very satisfactory too. Regards, Christiaan

Hello Helder. I am building a 14' lapstrake dinghy, using Douglas Fir on White Oak ribs and backbone. When you fastened the strakes to the ribs, how did you do it? Also, what was the spacing of the ribs? I am just trying to learn as much about this before I buy more lumber. I have the molds on the building frame and the stem and transom built, so just have to make the keelson and I can start. Thanks.

According to John leather a 15' dinghy would have 8" spacing between timbers with three land nails between the timbers. Nailing can be done by turning (hooking) the nails into the timbers if you are quick, or by clenching over roves if not.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by deepwoodsd View Post
    Hello Helder. I am building a 14' lapstrake dinghy, using Douglas Fir on White Oak ribs and backbone. When you fastened the strakes to the ribs, how did you do it? Also, what was the spacing of the ribs? I am just trying to learn as much about this before I buy more lumber. I have the molds on the building frame and the stem and transom built, so just have to make the keelson and I can start. Thanks.
    The design I have had a frame every 5''. They will be rivetted with roves to the hull. In between is another rivet, that is fastened now during the making of the hull. In the end there will be a rivet every 2,5". R(rithm: 1 rivet through hull planks; 1 rivet through planks and frame)

In the Netherlands, I know boats have designs too were every 2,5" a rivet is fitted, And every three rivet a frames is mounted. (rithm: 2 rivet through hull planks; 1 rivet ) through planks and frame) This is particularly the case with larger dingy's as yours. In these designs thikker planking and wider frames (1") are used than I have. My frames are only 11x16mm (7/16 x 5/8)

I hope this helps. Regards, Christiaan

The last weeks I didn't post a lot of progress. Some progress is made though. After turning the boat, I had to do a lot of rivetting and sanding. And I had to figure out what would be my choice of paint/varnish system. More on this later

Last weeks I rivetted the last 3 planks on both sides. The nails were in; the roves not. I took the occasion to replace a few nails that got very creative shapes in the rivetting :-) Than sanding for a last time. One of the things I learned is to give the molds a bevel, to correspond with the shape. Now I have some dips in the planks from the mold. The results:

sanded transom

hull from the side

and another view

As explained in an earlier reply, I choose a epoxy finish for the hull. I have taken 3 layers epoxy (wet on wet) let the epoxy dry. And sanded the result. Than took on a extra 2 layers. The result was best by applying thin layers. The first layer I used extra thin epoxy, to impregnate the wood, as much as possible.

The idea: Seal the hull to prevent rot. For the frames, thwarts etc, I will use oil/varnish. The exact finish, I have not yet choosen.

Te result. Ready to get the frames in.
    Last edited by Helder0906; 04-11-2016 at 03:49 PM.

A few weeks ago, I took an experiment. I went into the woods, in the estate of friends. And saw don some pieces of oak that was cut a few years before. The thought: To make the breasthook and knees at the transom/sheer from grown timber. I cut the pieces with the chainsaw firts; and the planed it with our planing machine, roughly to the desired thickness. I let them dry on air in the shop first. And will bring them to someone owning a drying room later. It wood have been better to have done this much earlier, to have more time for the wood to dry, I know. Hopefully the wood will not split. Some pictures

Cutting the breasthook

transport from the wood

the rough shape

the result after planing.

Now wait and see what the result after drying will be.

Very pretty pieces of wood! Will be nice and strong too.

Where you going to dry them a bit to kill any mold or critters in them?

Steam bending of the frames started.

steam box for bending the frames; a 2 meter long stainless steel square tube covered with wood to protect from heat injuries; the steam engine had to be filled on the go with boiled watebr />

steaming frames in progress

steaming frames in progress; a lot of clamps were needed. Luckily they could be removed after an hour or so to use them on new frames

all the frames steamed.

Talking Re: Building a 10 ft Dinghy (#127; Gartside)

What a result; all the frames pulling out. Excitement of the job done. We managed to steam the frames in 6 hours. Putting two frames in the steam box first to learn the routing of giving twist to the frame; bending it, clamping a hammering the frame to make it fit to the hull. Then steaming sets of six. Steaming time: ca 30 minutes. "Dad, do we have to sit on those?"

steaming frames finished. I saw all the frames and left some spare lenght. This will be cut to its final lengths after mounting the rub rail and inner gunwhale

my daughter having a moment enjoying the boat already

A job in between: I started making the rudder

the design of the rudder; made on a one to one scale taking some measuremen
    t from the drawing. Now I know, no mistakes in feet and calculating them to metric measures

the rudder parts; roughly cut. The rudder will have a blade that can be lifted

Now the fitting of the frames started. I advance I oiled them with boat oil. Afterwards, it will be hard to have the frames protected on the inside. After the fitting, I will sand the top side some what and clean them so I can epoxy them afterwards, as I did with the hull.

fitting the first frames with copper rivets and roves

Five frames fitted. Quit content with the result. Quit a lot of work though...

Tomorrow I hope to ft some more frames. My nephew will help. After all the innovations in boat building clicking is still a two mans job

Looking fantastic, I'm enjoying your pictures

one more picture of the rivetting results to put the frames is place

As the rivetting of the frames takes two, I have prepared most of the rudder. For the blade I used larch. The rudder casing is made of white oak, as is the tiller. Basically I had to design my rudder. The drawing gave the outlines more or less. I made a one to one drawing. It took some trial and error with a mold to determine the places for the turning points. Both tiller and rudder blade will be made to move upwards.

The tiller is still work in progress

Rudder casing

Rudder blade

The rudder as it will be. Now with temporary fittings (the drill)

blade and till in upward position

Today I glued the dagger board case in (thickened epoxy) I used two pieces that matched the inside, to position the dagger board casing. that worked quit well. The box with blocks, I to press the casing down a bit.

Last weeks, I rivetted a few frames every week. I needed help, so progress was not very high. Quit a job to rivet all 22 frames. The centerboard casing is glued in place to. The casing was chiseled with little holes, to let the frames in a bit.

Pictures of the overall result.

In between the fitting of the frames, I started with work on the mast. I glued three peaces together. With help of a nice you tube video I learned some basic tricks to end up with a rounded mast.

http://www.boat-building.org/learn-s...-wooden-spars/

The result so fabr />

I went on making the mast. After the eight face shape, I plained it to a 16 face shape and then by eye to a 32 face shape. The mast got quit round already. To bad, that the mast did nog stay straight during the planing. Although not to bad. From my racing days, I know that is is some times better to have some curve. I will finish the mast in a way to have it bend forward. This way, I will have some extra full profile when not under tension. In light airs that can be an asset. I more heavy wind, The tension on the sheets will curve the mast more backwards anyway.

Today, I build the tool to do some machine sanding. I started sanding by hand. I used a long piece of sanding linen (cut a band sander belt open) and in two (lengths wise) This way I could have it in my hands and make fairly long strokes. After an our or so in the 'gym' I gave up and looked for more handy tools. After all the mast is one. I have to make a sprit and boom too. The way to go is describe in my book ( Building small boats; Greg Rossel). It is described on this forum too in more than one thread. (using a drill, sanding belt turned inside out and a roll) I looked for the URL's to publish them, but could not find them. I will publish pictures later.
    Last edited by Helder0906; 06-15-2016 at 04:21 PM.

Some pictures of the planing and sanding of the mast. The tool proved to work just fine. And saved a lot of time. And manual labor

The tool I made. (The picture from the tool is from the book Building Small Boats Greg Rossel)

I notice now, The tool has a name: McIntosh spar rounding device.

Demonstrating the tool

My uncle turning and holding the mast, while I sand. Notice the block, I cut to hold the mast on the bench.

After all, I managed to get a nice mast, boom and sprit. The finishing of these, I will do when I have the sail delivered. And can take the final measures.

I started making the fittings for the rudder.

My father in law helped me to make the parts. A friend welded them together. I did the final touch to have them shine.

The result. It matches! Is is very satisfying to do, although I like to work on wood more.
    I did it mainly as proper stainless steel fitting where not available in the size I wanted. And it saved me. My friend had the appropriate sizes in 316 Stainless steel as scrap parts. No euro's spend here.

Last months no much new posted. Luckily a lot of progress made though.

Ik finished rivetting the frames, finished the mast, boom and spritt, build the interiour and did a lot of finishing.

Steaming the seat risebr />

centerboard casing in place

centerboard and seat risers in place. To mount the seat risers, I used stainless steel screws

Fitting the breasthook knee, I made from the grown oak. It worked out well. Although I must say, satisfying and very time consuming

The left transom knee, ready to be fitted. But before to be actually fitted, I wanted to conserve them with epoxy. Then fit them using Simson MSR bonding putty.

Final fitted knee
    Last edited by Helder0906; 01-06-2017 at 01:48 PM.

The gaff on the boom, I made. I choose to do it this way, and not have the boom that would go past the mast and has to be ket in place with rope.

The rubrail and innergunwhale in place and sanded down to its shape

Now started finishing the outside hull; Five lyaers of epoxy on the hole hull; primer and white paint below the waterline; two layers of DD coat obove the waterline. Then mounted sandstrokes, to prefent damage to the hull when pulling the boat over land. I fitted these after all finishing. This way, It would not matter, when damaged. Water will not be able to enter the hull. The sandstrokes are finished with boat oil, to preserve them a little.

the result.

Next part is the finish of the interiour. Paint the hull on the inside with DD coating. Mount all the items. A boat is coming to its completion :-)

Looking great! What is the purpose of the semi-circular indentations on the centerboard trunk cap?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything"

Roosevelt, Theodore

Those grown crooks are to die for. Lovely work.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Making of the mould for the thwarts

And the thwart.

I must say, the making af a mould pays off. It helpt me to understand the shape of the hull and she needed for the thwart. The making of the thwart was flawless and fixed in an hour. The making of the maould coast me half a day... And making the thart without a mould is more complicated as it will not fit in place, as the mould parts, becouse af its lenght.

Dear Ed,
    I will mount an elastic rope (6mm) fitted to the bottom of the sides of the casing and through a hole in the top of the centreboard. I saw the system here on the forum. It was used on one of Veviers designs. The semi circular identations are intented to be able to fix the centreboard is several positions, without any blocks/ropes. Curious myself how it will work in practice.

Hi, I am about to build this boat. I have almost finished the lofting. Looking at your body plan, it appears that your have brought stations 1-4 to the top of the keel (which seems to be what Paul Gartside means on table of offsets), whereas I have one’d the rabbet line from profile view. I guess I have to make revisions!
    Did you keep to the plans otherwise? Did you keep the tuck at the bow in W/L 6?
    Did you keep to the designed dimensions for the keel, hog/ apron?
    I see you changed to a centreboard. Would you recommend that - I plan to use the boat for my grandchildren?
    Very grateful for your advice.
    Best wishes, Stuart

Beautiful work!!

Ken
    When the desire to learn is greater than the desire to win, the journey becomes the prize.