Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting ready to buy plans for Planing Hull

Default Re: Getting ready to buy plans for Planing Hull

Daniel: I have watched lots and lots of videos on youtube. The i550s are impressive. But there are some sleepers, some surprising ones, like Periwinkle, and IIRC a stunning show by a Fox Albacore.
    Re-naming straits as necessary.

Didi Sport 15?

I find both the i550 and the Didi Sport very enticing. Looking forward to what more knowledgeable people have to say.

My wishlist was very similar to yours except for I knew a 2hp outboard instead of oars would be my backup propulsion so I'm building a Fulmar. If I had wanted to row I would have definetely chosen Ross Lilistone's Periwinkle based upon this video of it sailing with a Fulmar:

I don't know if it planes but Ross's description makes it sound possible. In anything under planing conditions though it sure looks slippery.

Mike

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...VTLgUCh2hTgBdi
    How about the 17' ultralight yacht in this book?
    looks it might fit the bill.
    cheers james

Blue Canoe, that boat looks cool. I commented on the original thread. Jake, thanks for the idea. I will do some research on that one. I really like the hull shape. As for Gannet or one of Ian's boats, does Gannet require standing rigging with a gunter? As mentioned above, I really like my gunter, which I use on my Skerry, or in 25 knots plus, twice on my Coquina. I have a much too heavy solid spruce mast for it that was from another boat, and I use it with a jib unstayed. I recognize I do not get optimal sail shape, but it works and it will go. I don't use it that way in much more than light or medium to light air.
    Last edited by davebrown; 06-14-2015 at 11:26 PM.

Is there a wooden hulled analogue to the i505?

Can we hear from anyone who sails Gannet?

I have owned and sailed a Gannet. Never had it planing though. Lovely looking boat, very nice to sail. I never found it a quick boat though. Left for dead in a pursuit race by Enterprises, even a Wanderer. Very short of room for the crew, very cramped up front under the boom.

I actually liked it best sailing single-handed in light winds, then it was lovely. Have pictures somewhere will try and find them.

if you want a planing dinghy that is safe you want a Laser Stratos Keel, Google it. Nearest wooden design is the Dix Sport 15. Just need to check out beach landing and how the keel lifts. The Laser had a folding SS crane.

Also,think about planing in a small yacht like the I550. That needs a lot of balls and a very experienced crew. I have been crewing yachts for 40 years and only ever planed once. Surfing down a huge combined wave in Portland Race. In a 34' yacht we surfed down this trough, ploughed into the bottom, broached and lay pinned on our side by the mainsail. The main was held out by the boom tied down with a preventer, but that let go eventually and the boom came across the boat at a very high speed, would have killed anyone it hit. I was soaked by the bow wave that hit me at the back of the cockpit. I managed to just get hold of the pushpit rail and stop myself going over the side and drowning. They would never have found me in Portland Race in those seas. Nearest I ever came to drowning in all my years of sailing.

However, the Laser Stratos Keel was the safest fastest most fun Ed and I have ever had. Planing was fast safe and secure. Upwind was a doddle. If we made a mistake and the boat started to go over, the 100kg bulb keel would steady her as the heel angle increased and give us time to sort ourselves out and recover.

A single handed wooden version is the Haze4000 with plans from Keith Callaghan at BlueLightning.

http://www.bluelightning.co.uk/Haze/haze01.shtm
    Brian
    Last edited by keyhavenpotterer; 06-17-2015 at 03:01 AM.

Do we have any reports from Brooks' planning dinghy? Gannet is such a good looking boat, BTW.

Autocorrect got me again.

The i550 is a sport boat. It would take a while to rig each outing. Jessie is the best looking boat but not fast. The AWOL would be your best bet for speed, ease of setup, looks.

Yes, good news from Brooks. They have a 15' larger Dragon Flyer version in the pipeline.

drawings here https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...04272979640030

Quote"As promised, here are the concept sketches of the 15 foot Big Daddy DragonFlyer. A real two person boat, a real screamer, a boat that would live on a trailer. This boat has a big sail plan, plenty of beam (6 feet) and would also sport at least one trapeze, if not two. Oh, and look at that asymmetrical!There are many features that are similar to the original DragonFlyer: the internal framework, the rig, the bowsprit, the bottom shape, the spray rail in the second lap, the shape of the water line.
    And there is plenty that is different: the wider hull has more flare, the main sail has a real flat top, the mast would be hollow, the sheer is straighter. There is also a separate pole for the asymmetrical, like the DF 3.7.
    Like the DF 3.2, the internal framework provides a "jig" to build the hull shell over but would stay with the boat instead of being thrown away to make a very strong boat for the high loads of a modern, fast, rig and provide plenty of flotation chambers under the side decks and cockpit sole. With a hollow, sealed mast, this boat would be almost impossible to turn upside down. The mast would float, not sink.
    One big difference is the stern. This design has a partial sugar scoop transom that projects 15" past the aft bulkhead/transom that the rudder is mounted on. This makes the transom much lighter. As you can see in the drawings, the static waterline ends at the leading edge of the rudder. At low speeds, this water plane will have less wetted surface than the full length of the boat so the boat will have an easier time getting up on a plane. At higher speeds the projecting scoop will be on the water, keeping the back end of the boat from squatting. As you can see in the plan, there is a V cutout for the rudder which helps reduce wetted surface at moderate speeds. But my favorite part of this transom (other than the drooling desire to build it) is that the bottom edge of plank #2, where the spray rail is, becomes a chine aft and when the boat heels in a breeze going to windward, this sharp corner of the scoop goes in the water to make the waterline over a foot longer to help the boat go faster, plus the centerline of the underwater shape is pointing distinctly upwind to help the boat power to windward.
    Specs:
    Loa 15'-3"
    Dwl 13'-6"
    Beam 6'
    Main 105 sq.ft.
    Jib 35 sq.ft.
    Total 140 sq.ft.
    Asym. 128 sq.ft."

Brian
    Last edited by keyhavenpotterer; 06-17-2015 at 09:33 AM.

I really am surprised that there are not more performance daysailers designed for stitch and glue in this size range.

I have many times read that the US doesn't have the interest in these that Europeans, NZ's and Aussies have. There was a Thistle mentioned in another section. I will buy that if it is not already sold. I sent an email to the seller, but nor response. I couldn't put together the plywood for the sales price on that boat.

Have you looked at some of John Welsford's plans.
    A lot of what I have seen above is very much in the sport boat range which while a lot of fun are not so much family and friends friendly if you what to take 4 adults out for a pleasent cruise then a side inside boat may be more suited.
    JW's boats will plane, and can be rowed or 2 hp OB driven. They generally are not ballasted or have minimal ballest so they can be easily man handeled
    Say a " Parthfinder " at about 17 ft and 485 lb.
    Zane

It hasn't been mentioned that the Welsford Navigator is a planing hull too. There is an 'S' model rig and sail plan (larger bermudan rig and mast) that comes in the plans package for those wanting a two man planing boat (as it was originally designed).

Of those boats, I really like AWOL. I was going to build an i550 primarily because there is some heat and energy on resale if I don't like it. ALso I like the aesthetics of the boat. Here is my letter to Giles, and his response as to Wabi. If the plans are around 200 Euros, I am inclined to build. But I am also after that Thistle.

hello
    I have been absent for a week , and I’m going sailing for
    3 days ! I send you plans next week !
    G Montaubin
    Sent: Friday, June 12, 2015 6:23 AM
    To: chantier.mer@wanadoo.fr
    Subject: WABI

Cordialement : Je suis l'écriture Américaine renseigner sur les plans pour votre bateau bien, Wabi . Mon français est assez pauvre , pour lequel je apologivze , puisque je ne peux pas trouver une liste de plans sur votre site web . Les plans disponibles pour Wabi , ou Le Brol ? Merci! Dave

Interested in Brol as well? She's a very interesting new design. Sort of one man minimal sail and oar boat.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e0OQAS2OJLQ

more interested in wabi and/or awol. If wabi and awol are equally available, then I would have some hard choices make. By that I mean, I can't tell how developed the plans are for Wabi.

Great video. Brol looks narrow, twitchy and fast. Wow! I can't find any videos of AWOL.

Ross Lilistone's boats are quick, here's Phoenix III planing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4r-dZQoswqY

and another of her moving quickly. One thing I love about this video and the boat, at about 36 seconds, the helmsman just drops the tiller, no worries, picks it up again. Boat is so balanced, outstanding. And he just leaves the tiller again at 1.27. Amazing.

https://vimeo.com/17723685

I suppose this fun video says it all about balance of Phoenix III

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ga2gI_ZhwnU

Brian
    Last edited by keyhavenpotterer; 06-19-2015 at 12:09 PM.

Any word on the Thistle? That's a really fast boat.

For a classic planing small boat there is always the Lark scow. A new build over the winter.

Part 1

http://earwigoagin.blogspot.com/2015...ow-part-1.html

Part 2

http://earwigoagin.blogspot.com/2015...-finished.html

RLM

I traded voicemails on that Thistle for a few days--and then the ad was taken down. Darn. Nothing back from Wabi yet. Awol and 550 in the lead at this moment.

I was reading an article on Uffa in which the Uffa King was mentioned, as well as the International 14. The article (WB) mentions that it was thought that the King would not plane. Does anyone have personal experience with either of the two boats? Jakes earlier suggestion is a little larger than I want to build if I build lapstrake or cold mold but I like that style of boat and I like the Fox pedigree.

National 12s had a high enough weight limit at the time that Fox thought a non-planing hull was the way to go. Have you considered a Merlin Rocket?

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...-Rocket-Dinghy

Article about building the Lili in the new issue of Watercraft.

http://watercraft-magazine.com/wc_six.html

Dave, here are some pictures of Gannet plans which you may have already seen: http://www.atelierhegner.ch/wordpress1/?paged=2 (Scroll down a bit.) They show both the stayed gunter/bermudan and unstayed lug rigs, and also the decking options. I was considering a decked lug Gannet for awhile before going for an Ilur - twice as heavy, definitely not planing, but better for my family in the Central Bay I think.

Sailoar, I see your location there...We will have to watch for each other when you get yours going since I take my Coquina out quite a bit in the Bay, especially when the local lakes around here start getting low. I love the way those Illurs look--also Aber, and the double ender that looks like a Shearwater... Aesthetically, I tend to gravitate towards workboat builds. Those boats are very attractive to me. I was watching a Youtube vid of one recently (I think an Aber) in which the sailer/videographer did an excellent job of showing how a boomless, battened lug would point just about as well as anything I have seen. I was really astonished at how much speed he got pointing up. I really also like my gunter rig; it is maligned here on the forum but I have found it to be super convenient and usable, mainly because I have an inherited misbegotten spruce mast that took such a dogleg bend that my gunter can be rigged without the gaff spar. John, I think a Merlin Rocket might be a little much for a first planing hull. I really appreciate your suggestions but I looked at those cockpit photos and had a heart attack. I am going to have to fake it for a while until I figure out how to not get killed with these, which is the way I have done almost everything my whole life. Since I am going to alter the rig on the 550, I am going to ease into it. Unless my wife is willing to sew a whole new set of sails, which she might--but then I will put two sets of reefs in the main. Keyhavenpotter, thanks for the Watercraft article, I will read with great interest later. This is an awful lot of fun--all that possibility, and no disastrous errors of measurement yet. I put a separate post up asking for Awol videos and it seems there are none around. I think Awol and Wabi have a lot of similarity. I am hoping Richard Woods gets tired of racing and takes an interest in this thread. I have to confess I have started to like multi-hulls. But not on this build. Also, I just noticed in the new WB issue that Simon Watts has an I-14 build manual. I wonder if that would supplant the need for plans, or would it be a supplemental to?
    Last edited by davebrown; 07-02-2015 at 01:31 AM.

Poking around this morning I came across an article by Watts about his I14 plans, which includes some lines drawings. Looks like I could build from his plans without further addendum.
    http://simonwattsfurniture.com/inter...-fourteen.html

But you should pay him his $35.

John: What I meant was, would the Uffa plans be required IN ADDITION to Watts' plans. I would be inclined to buy the Uffa plans under any circumstances. If I built that, I would probably buy both. It isn't the boat I am in love with, but I do think it would be the best choice of my three front runners: i550, Wabi, and less and less, AWOL. Wabi or the i550 are what I want to build simply on aesthetics. But the I14 would be much more useful in the big and little lake right near my house. It is interesting to me, on the internet, how much variation there is on the I14. Obviously built to rule.

Why not AWOL?
    If I were in market for planning dinghy then awol would be top.
    Great looks,
    Great performance,

why not ask JW for performance data?

It looks a more involved build than the others but well worth it

james