Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Argie 15 with standing lug

Default Re: Argie 15 with standing lug

Awesome

Odd that you moved your bulkhead forward while I moved my aft was my first thought. Then I read your post again and realized you're going with a standing lug while I'm planning on a balanced lug. It's going to fun comparing performance once we're both on the water. Love your work, really good.

Thanks Roy. Did someone design your sail and thus the new mast position as well?

Our good friend Todd designed the sail The final mast position was based on his advice and that from Dudley. The different location compared to yours relates largely to the sail area ahead of the mast (I think). The sketches look good and I'm sure the final product will look good and sail well (although that will depend very much on the skipper's skill, or lack thereof).

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Morford View Post
    Our good friend Todd designed the sail The final mast position was based on his advice and that from Dudley. The different location compared to yours relates largely to the sail area ahead of the mast (I think). The sketches look good and I'm sure the final product will look good and sail well (although that will depend very much on the skipper's skill, or lack thereof).
    Have you posted a sketch up of your sail plan? I'd love to see it. I was considering the balanced lug as well. My brother in law has one on his scamp and swears by it. What sold me on the standing lug was that I could go boomless and that they spill the wind in gusts (I am told). It can get very gusty here in Eastern Australia. So I thought I'd try one out. I have a boomless sprit sail on another dinghy I built and it's feels very minimilistic and kinda cool. Release the rope and it's a useless flag waving, pull it in and it fills, powers up and starts pulling you through the water....facinates me but then I'm easily amused. And I can add a boom should I desire......options Anyway's that's my take on it. Maybe we should get together and have a race?

Quote Originally Posted by capefox View Post
    Awesome
    Thanks Mr Fox.

Here is the sail plan with measurements for the 105 square foot sail I'm planning to use. The dotted line mast position is for an 85 square foot sail. Still a long way from ordering the sail or making the mast and spars.

Looks awesome Roy! can't wait to hear how it goes.
    Well I'm getting close to putting the seat tops on. I was thinking of just putting two coats of epoxy in the buoyancy chambers. Any thoughts on this? Also, Mine is an unstayed standing lug with the mast just behind this forward bulkhead. I like the big area in the front there for storage etc as it's going to be a cruising/camping out dinghy. I am going to scupper the inwales. I thought about seats there, that it might add strength so the boat doesn't try to twist when the mast pushes on her. But I'd prefer to leave it open if I can. Your thoughts everyone? Will it strength be fine with the scuppered inwales, or what????? Am I making sense here?

thanks in advance. Andrew (Fudzwollop)

Looking good Andrew. I plan to put seats in that front area but they will not be filled in underneath (they won't be storage compartments). So I'll have somewhere for small guests to sit without compromising foot room. I will have lots of storage in front because my front bulkhead is further aft than yours. Whatever you do I'm sure it will look just great.

Decided to buy some two part epoxy undercoat. Each tank is coated with epoxy then given a coat of the paint. I'll give them all a second coat before putting the seat tops on.

Is that forward bulkhead beefy enough to support the mast partner? I would have expected to see a doubler and perhaps a thicker or extra scantling.

Is that forward bulkhead beefy enough to support the mast partner? I would have expected to see a doubler and perhaps a thicker or extra scantling.
    Thanks Mr Fox. Excellent observation. I thought that too. So I was planning to have the mast partner/ holder thingy span the scuppered gun whales. Of course I haven't scuppered them yet. Your thoughts?

A lot of designs use the arrangement you have in mind. Sounds feasible. The only potential drawback might be losing the use of the front seat.

Rudder attached temporarily and down

Rudder up

Tiller arm idea. Pretty much exactly what the plans suggest

If the video works it's me swinging the centreboard up and down. Of course it can't swing all the way down as it's hitting the floor.

Looking good and getting close.

Thanks Roy. It is a bit exciting. I am on holidays so I can get into it a bit.
    The Centreboard casing was in need of support so I made up some brackets and epoxied them in. I think the ideas came from your post a ways back Roy and I also saw the brackets approximately half way along on another Argie build where they installed a swinging centreboard. So I did both. I put bigger brackets near where the end of the centerboard will be when it is swung down and a smaller one at the end of the casing. It's all as solid as a rock now.

I also started gluing up the tiller arm. I've just used 20mm x 20mm pine, If it snaps, I'll make a tougher one. I added a little block in there for no reason at all really. If I put just the one bolt through and have some chocks for the arm to sit on at the front of the rudder it will be able to swing up and out of the way when camping out etc.

Oh and after consulting with the wife I (we...she) decided I will completely cover the whole front end from front seat to mid seat. I will probably use 12mm ply (or nine at least) and we will put a rectangular 500mm x 30mm low profile water proof hatch smack in the middle. This will make the whole front one big seat/bed and provide a huge water proof area for storage of stuff while camping out. The mast will be snug with a collar around the mast partner hole that will not only provide extra strength but will also make it water proof when my wife makes a sock/flang thingy to go around the mast at the partner. Plus we get a whole lot more buoyancy if/when she's on her side (at least until the water reaches the mast hole). I've cut and I am drying some bamboo to use for my mast and spa. I did this on my last build as a quick temporary mast and spa while I built a wooden mast. It all worked so good and was so light that I never went ahead and built them. Three years and it's still going strong. It is water proof, it floats, it's light and bamboo is the strongest wood on the planet for it's weight - plus it's free To help preserve it you just give it a good dunk in the salt water whenever you're near it. My brother-in-law tried some on his Scamp and two years later he has just built a birdsmouth mast. He still uses bamboo for the spas though. I also plan to build a wooden mast. Capefox can you advise. I was thinking four 20mm x 40mm peices glued into a box to make a blank and then shape it up a bit. Any thoughts peoples?

I can't wait to see the cuddy version of the Argie 15. Sounds useful. There are no pics off one online although Dudley mentions customers having added a cuddy on his website.

Gluing up a mast blank from four staves in a box cross section was relatively easy. Marking it out with a spar gauge was fun. The power planer made rough shaping easy, and then rounding with an inside-out belt sanding belt on a power drill made final shaping easy.

That is looking absolutely great. I can't wait to see the cuddy as it comes along, neat idea. And bamboo for your mast and spars is very interesting. I can't wait to see more pics. Thanks for posting (great pics by the way).

Gluing up a mast blank from four staves in a box cross section was relatively easy. Marking it out with a spar gauge was fun. The power planer made rough shaping easy, and then rounding with an inside-out belt sanding belt on a power drill made final shaping easy.
    What size timber did you use Capefox and did you use epoxy for the glue? I can't find anywhere on the internet that shows how to make a four piece mast. Is yours round now that it's finished? Did you put up any pictures of it?

Here I am coating the bottom of the seats before installing them.
    This is a proposed mast step. I'll fibreglass this area for extra strength then bed this 12 ply reinforcement piece in a pile of goop then add the circle pieces as the step. Any thoughts??

I can't wait to see the cuddy version of the Argie 15. Sounds useful. There are no pics off one online although Dudley mentions customers having added a cuddy on his website.
    Not sure if it's a cuddy. It's just going to be one big seat with the mast sticking through it. But then I don't know the exact definition of a "cuddy". lol

This is the video of the 14 foot sharpie I built a few years ago.

Last edited by Fudzwollop; 12-17-2015 at 03:41 AM.

Rather than a cuddy it's going to be like this but with a big single piece of ply.

Understood and still looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Quote Originally Posted by Fudzwollop View Post
    What size timber did you use Capefox and did you use epoxy for the glue? I can't find anywhere on the internet that shows how to make a four piece mast. Is yours round now that it's finished? Did you put up any pictures of it?
    I like this video

Some useful info

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...journal/page13

Thanks Capefox, I have seen these videos and I have checked out your posts re the mast building. Some great information there, thanks for that.

Well I've finally glued and screwed the Cockpit seats down

And if you're wondering what the extra protruding 20 x 20 rails are around the cockpit seats it's so I can do this!!!

...and then WE can do this

The Loveee Boattt la la la la la la la la la ....insert lyrics here

I raised the top of the centreboard casing by adding a couple of timber so that the height now matches the side seats then sliced off the top bit of centreboard so it was all flush. I will have a removable support beam (20 x 40 on edge) going from the end of the centreboard casing back to the rear seat front as support for the two panels back there. I used the left over bits of 6mm ply from the side seats, that's why the last two are cut diagonally - no waste.

I just love what you're doing to make your Argie a comfortable place to camp out. That is really creative. Will you be building a tent as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Morford View Post
    I just love what you're doing to make your Argie a comfortable place to camp out. That is really creative. Will you be building a tent as well?
    Thanks Roy, yes the boom (sorry, no boom. I meant the MAST) will be cradled above the boat for and aft and my wife is going to make a tent to go across it and tie/clip along the sides. She is even going to put windows and fly screens in the sides and fly screens in the ends for ventilation.
    Last edited by Fudzwollop; 12-21-2015 at 08:34 AM.

Hey look I have an Avatar but it's sideways??????????

Err, what boom for tent ? Have I missed a change to boomed sail ?

Did you consider a dipping lug rig? Very efficient with the gaff always on the "correct" side ? Only additional gear was a loose lug line on each side of the mainsail from the foot of the gaff down to the boom within reach of the skipper. I sailed an Aust 12' Cadet Dinghy with dipping lug rig in the mid 1950s to 1959. When marconi rigs were eventually allowed, the dipping lug rig could still win the Lord Stonehaven Cup ( national championship).
    Cheers from Martin B.
    Mandurah, Western Australia
    mcbunny09@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Martin B. View Post
    Err, what boom for tent ? Have I missed a change to boomed sail ?

Did you consider a dipping lug rig? Very efficient with the gaff always on the "correct" side ? Only additional gear was a loose lug line on each side of the mainsail from the foot of the gaff down to the boom within reach of the skipper. I sailed an Aust 12' Cadet Dinghy with dipping lug rig in the mid 1950s to 1959. When marconi rigs were eventually allowed, the dipping lug rig could still win the Lord Stonehaven Cup ( national championship).
    Yes sorry. I meant the mast