Page 1 of 9 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Argie 15 with standing lug

Default Argie 15 with standing lug

Hi guys. I am building Dudley Dix's Argie 15. I am an amateur, having only built three small boats thus far, and I am often unconventional in my problem solving. I also like to be minimalistic and save money where ever possible often choosing practicality over aesthetics. Maybe I should build a Wharram. All advice welcome, and encouraged, but please don't take offence if I ignore it and go along my merry way. I'm not scared of making mistakes and learning the hard way at times. Thanks to Capefox's detailed build log, I have already avoided a lot of wasted hours I think.

The build photos can all be seen here https://www.pinterest.com/andrewstokes904/argie-15-sailing-dinghy-build/
    I am not only adding the single boomless Standing Lug sail, but I am also adding the swinging centreboard - we have a lot of skinny waters around here.

A big THANKYOU to Todd Bradshaw for painstakingly designing my boom-less Standing Lug as seen above. He da Man!

Cheers

Andrew Stokes
    Last edited by Fudzwollop; 07-11-2015 at 04:06 PM. Reason: corrections

Default Re: Argie 15 with standing lug

Is this a duplicate of your other thread? I built our Argie 15 from plans. Trust me, if we can do it, most people can.

Quote Originally Posted by capefox View Post
    Is this a duplicate of your other thread? I built our Argie 15 from plans. Trust me, if we can do it, most people can.
    Yes I followed your whole thread and read every word. You did a great job. The other thread was more about the sail. Now that it is sorted I thought I'd do a thread on the building sequence for anyone interested. Hey can I ask yiu....what are the benefits or purpose of the style of side/rub rails that you used. I can see there would be plenty of spots to tie stuff...any other pros?

Welcome to the building forum. You'll find lots of very experienced people here and they are more than willing to share their expertise. One caution - be specific with your questions. A general question will elicit a general answer which will probably provide little assistance. A specific question (especially if accompanied by photos) will usually result in quite a number of very detailed and helpful responses.

Good luck and post lots of photos.

As to your question - the "scuppered" rub rail does indeed provide lots of places to secure things. I've also read that it gives a stiffer rub rail. Best of all - it looks "shippy". Downside is that it takes longer to make and is a real bugger to varnish and keep varnished.

Quote Originally Posted by Fudzwollop View Post
    ffness and strength to the hullWhat are the benefits or purpose of the style of side/rub rails that you used. I can see there would be plenty of spots to tie stuff...any other pros?
    I chose scuppered or spaced gunwales mostly for aesthetic reasons (they look more traditional to me) but they serve several practical purposes:
    (a) they add stiffness and strength to the hull,
    (b) more comfortable when you hike out on the gunwales in stronger breezes, and
    (c) convenient lashing points.

Thanks Roy. I love the humour on here, a nice bunch of thick skinned blocks who don't mind a healthy debate and a good ribbing. Scuppered eh? There ya go, just learned something boaty

The other downside here in this part of Australia are the bloody mud wasps. They love to build their mud houses in nice little tucked away places, like buoyancy chambers when you leave the inspection ports off, as well as Oar Lock holes and I'm sure they would be rubbing their little "hands" together in hopeful anticipation while watching me make "Scuppered" rub rails. There not a stinging wasp...just annoying damn things with an affinity for constructing purpose built clumps of mud everywhere.

Andrew Stokes

And this was all done this morning... *jokes

Never realised how good looking I am with my new Goatie...and look! No Grey (now that I've dyed it).

So I used cheapy tie wire, then I'll tack between with small epoxy fillets before removing the tie wire and filleting properly

Hmm looking smick eh?

I wired some bulkheads in temporarily to keep the shape while I tacked it

Tudah. Now the real fillets and inside taping

Looking good so far. How did you check for twist and alignment?

Looking good so far. How did you check for twist and alignment?
    I measured from both outer edges of the transome to the nose and adjusted untill they matched. ....do I pass?

Looking really nice. How do you manage to do it so fast? Don't you sleep?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Morford View Post
    Looking really nice. How do you manage to do it so fast? Don't you sleep?
    I have been working on it for a couple of weeks, I just finally worked out how to put the photos up and I was hyper-focusing on getting the sail plan I wanted. (thanks Todd Bradshaw).

Chines filleted and glassed inside

Centerboard and fiberglassing the inside of the centerboard casing.

The plans call for laminated 20 x 40's or the like to make the centerboard. I have used a piece of 9mm ply then some scrap 6mm ply, then I will fiberglass both sides. I used 9mm ply to strengthen the centerboard casing as it's longer than the dagger board casing. I am not sure yet how to support it at the cockpit end. But having said that I am sure I will get a lot of suggestions now.

[QUOTE=I am not sure yet how to support it at the cockpit end. But having said that I am sure I will get a lot of suggestions now.[/QUOTE]

Try something like this.

You're doing a lot of interesting things on your build. I'm glad you chose a centerboard instead of a dagger board.

Here is the casing (held together with clamps) and centerboard (Held in place with a nail).

and with the board swung down (all these photos are the same camera and size but weird things happen here with them. Some are shrunk and some aren't. Beats me???????)

...and sitting where it will eventually be installed (Hey look photos are big again)

...and from the front

Try something like this.

my boat will NOT look this pretty

As you can see the side stringers (black lines on the side of the hull) will need to be moved up a little, This need is consistent with all of the bulkheads. Not sure what I did wrong there but an easy fix none-the-less.

So here is the centerboard casing dry fitted into the now divided middle seat aft riser and lined up using a string line. The gaps will be easily filled with goo and fiberglass tape.

Looking good. Quick question - when joining the panels did you use pre-made tape or cut your own from a larger piece of fiberglass? Did you grind away any plywood where the glass goes so that your final join is flush?

Looking good. Quick question - when joining the panels did you use pre-made tape or cut your own from a larger piece of fiberglass? Did you grind away any plywood where the glass goes so that your final join is flush?
    Hi Roy. Thanks for that. It's kind of excitiing as it comes together. I just used some pieces cut from a roll of 100mm wide fiberglass. I didn't shave off any ply. It's only one piece either side and I'm not that worried about aesthetics really. I build to the old rule...''If you can't see it standing back 10 feet it's all good''. I build them to use rather than to impress.

I'd highly recommend using strips that are cut diagonally to the edges of the FG cloth. They are easier to fair, follow curved surfaces well, and supposedly distribute loads better. One place you may wish to really be careful about taping is the outside of the hull near the bow. The tape has the potential to be a little more obvious/stand proud on the chines closer to the bow.

I'd highly recommend using strips that are cut diagonally to the edges of the FG cloth. They are easier to fair, follow curved surfaces well, and supposedly distribute loads better.
    This thought this advice was a bit late Capefox, but then I see you were talking about the outside of the hull. I'm a bit slow most days. Great advice, thanks for that.
    Last edited by Fudzwollop; 07-11-2015 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Because I'm too dumb to get it the first time

I believe Capefox was referring to taping the outside seams. You haven't posted a picture of that yet. Have you taped the outside seams yet?

I believe Capefox was referring to taping the outside seams. You haven't posted a picture of that yet. Have you taped the outside seams yet?
    Were you Capefox? Apologies if you were. But I won't be doing that...defeats the purpose of buying rolls of tape and I've never had a problem before. All my epoxy joins are also thickened with talc only. I once had a boat I built this way come off a trailer at 100km an hour and hit an embankment. Bits that were joined with epoxy/talc tore out the whole piece ply around them....the joints didn't budge though. Pretty convinced the old talc and tape are plenty strong enough.

So this has become a challenge. This was to be the aft middle seat riser which the dagger-board case was going to butt up against. Adding a swinging centerboard means cutting through this riser to accommodate the swinging centerboard case which swings up past it. So here it is. Dudley just gives you the dimensions and you have to work it out for yourself. It ain't rocket science and there is probably a few ways to go about it but this is my take on it. This is just sitting there at the moment. I intend to cut out the hole in the bottom of the boat first then install this whole piece at the same time. A bit more complicated then just installing the seat risers as per the original instructions. But now it's done, I'm feeling pretty chuffed.

Last edited by Fudzwollop; 06-21-2015 at 05:05 AM.