Thread: Awlgrip MA application results?

Default Awlgrip MA application results?

I finally found a product that looked spectacular at the last IBEX for a long lasting finish and got the chance to actually use it on a small sailboat.
    I will try and get pics up tomorrow after it has dried. The first few coat was the yellow primer (more reddish than yellow) and then I put on the clear coat within 24 hrs and a second coat within 12hrs. I let that all dry because it was bumpy and looked "dirty" even though I was very careful and wiped it all down. The sanding was next and it was not easy. The stuff is hard and I used good German paper at 120 grit. I wiped it down after a vac job with the brushing reducer and applied coat number four. Next morning was coat #5 and I let that harden up for a couple of days before putting the last coat on tonight. The finish is shiny and hard but, not smooth like varnish. I looks like there is porosity in the paint and I did follow all the precautions and used foam brushes on the first 5 coats and a good bristle brush on the last coat, just in case. The foam brushes expanded and looked ok but, not really good like with varnish. The bristle brush was not affected by the MA.

Now, I am hoping the finish lays flat like varnish and it does not need polishing. At the price it costs, it would not work in a small shop unless it was sprayed or polished otherwise.

Has anyone used this product yet, with brush technique?

Jim,
    www.innerbayboats.com

Default Re: Awlgrip MA application results?

whatever rocks your boat

The heights of High Wycombe, not too far from River Thames

Thumbs down Re: Awlgrip MA application results?

Yep, read all that way before I purchased the product. Watched the spray on method,...very nice,....been there done that but, what about brushing it on?
    The can itself does not have any real instructions either but, that is to be expected I guess...
    Small boat repair without spraying would be what I would love to have. Spraying makes me have to tie up one of my bays with some crafty spray booth construction.

I will post pics later today.

The heights of High Wycombe, not too far from River Thames

For his work, my eldest son uses smart repair spraying techniques on cars & in the open air, so no spraying booth. Check your locality & ascertain what they'd charge.

Ok, Here are some pics. Hopefully the load.
    The surface was sanded down to 120 and then I vacuumed it off. I followed that with a clean rag soaked with the brushing reducer as per instructions on the site. Then I used a bristle brush to give her a final coat. It was not thinned at all. It flowed on and looked ok but, the specs were still there. New brush, new container with MA product and very clean surface. Take a look at the finish. I get very good results with varnish and now I will need to polish this stuff to remove the "sandpaper" look.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

This may be "too little too late", but regardless of what else I might do in preparation for final sealing/varnishing, a thorough wipe with a tack cloth is always done just before applying anything.

Yes, I usually do that with varnish since it has oil in it but this stuff requires that it is wiped before it is applied with the brushing thinner according to what I read. I did wipe it down with a clean paper towel dampened with lacquer thinner right after vacuuming as well. This has always produced very nice finished for me over the past 20 years. This stuff is supposed to be "brushable" but, I think not...

Definitely don't tack rag - The MA is very sensitive to proper prep and foreign substances such as tack rags and alcohol based solvents. I have been rolling and tipping it a lot over the last few weeks (I have probably gone through 3 1/2 gallons). It is a trial and error thing. I found a 6mm or 3/8ish nap roller and a wide angle cut sash brush with synthetic bristles works well - this was the recommendation from the guy who manufactures and developed the stuff. If it goes on too thin, I have found the brush strokes don't lay out so well. I have also sprayed it with great results.

Dust is dust and I don't think its a problem with the product - I see you mention sanding down with 120? Thats pretty heavy going. Do you mean you were down to bare wood, or over an existing finish? How many coats are on there?
    Aloof..

I am trying to show off my little test panel. still working on 1st coat epoxy seal,sand 220-320, rolled 2nd coat(not impressed)sanded 220-320, then sprayed the last coat, loved it. this is after wet sand and buff. This test panel is coated with EMC Gloss urethane varnish. I could of done 2 more coats for better depth but its just a test panel.
    Last edited by Builderjeff; 06-03-2015 at 01:07 PM.

Yep, I agree about the dust. I was hoping to treat this stuff like varnish but, wet sanding seems to be the trick. I did go up to 180 grit by hand on the last coat, washed it down with the thinner they recommend but, it still looks like an amateur job. I will have to apply by had for the first couple of coats on the next one and then spray to make sure it works. At IBEX last year, the company had a sample with a few hammer marks in it and it was not cracked at all. Moister did not get through it and it was a really nice finish. On to the next boat.

Awlwood is amazing stuff and with the right perp and following recommendations easier than trad varnish IMHO.

JHF - You mention "couple" of coats of the primer. You must one use one and ensure there is absolutely no build. If there is a rough finish will result. 320 between coats works for me.

Dreyer - You mention a nap roller. I have been using foam so far with good results but lacking some grain fill but maybe this is the answer.