Thread: Anchor for rock quarry

Default Anchor for rock quarry

Most of the no wake zone where i hang out on the local reservoir is over a sandstone rock quarry. Big chunks, like half a volkswagen size. My paddleboard and I are about 210LBs with cooler.

Having researched this on the always reliable WBF and looking up an old issue on anchors the recommended anchor seems to be a small grapple anchor, and that is what the SUP specific sites recommend also.

So it would seem my problem is solved, yes?

No, because I know where there are several 3lb grapnel anchors, all at the bottom of Satanka cove.

I thought a 3lb mushroom or river anchor would work, but cannot find any that small.

My favorite canoe anchor for muddy and weedy bottoms ended up being a 6lb cast iron sash weight on a few feet of chain. I'm thinking about finding some more smaller sash weights for the boards.

And I do have a welder or can cast concrete if anyone has an idea of a better shape that wont get caught in the rocks.

One other thing to mention, the grapples at the bottom of the cove are not mine and perhaps they were not used correctly?

Default Re: Anchor for rock quarry

If an arm of a grapnel hooks under a rock, the only way to get it back is to pull hard enough to straighten the arm. Grapnels should be made of soft wrought iron for this reason.

See if you can find a cast iron scale weight at a flea market, garage sale / car boot.
    Otherwise fabricate a stack of discs with an eyebolt through the middle into a sphere of the correct weight.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

you can get a grapnel style anchor with a release bar

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I just saw a tutorial video from a kayak site on how to rig a small Grapnel anchor with a ziptie securing the rode to the "top" of the anchor with the rode fully attached to the bottom of the grapnels. that looks promising. Now that I'm thinking about this I'm pretty sure the last time a saw the anchor set up that got lost the rope was tied to the top of the grapnel.

The girl fiend wants to use her work out dumbells, I think she wants to loose them.

I have not found one with a release bar yet still looking.

If you tie the anchor rode to the bottom of the anchor and ziptie (or tie) the line to the top of the anchor, make sure you leave some slack between the two points. Otherwise you will never break the ziptie or small stuff at the top.

Courtsey of LFHerreshoff The Complete Cruiser
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Traditional anchors from early times were large rocks with a hole in 'em -- seems you could cast something similar in concrete with rebar or whatever for the loop. It's not like you're sleeping at anchor, so the round shape should work once it "sets".

Reminds me of cruising Lake Tahoe in my SJ21 many years ago. To anchor on the rocky west shore I would motor carefully in circles, winding my Faux-Danforth and 25' of chain around boulders on the bottom near the water's edge.

"The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    I just saw a tutorial video from a kayak site on how to rig a small Grapnel anchor with a ziptie securing the rode to the "top" of the anchor with the rode fully attached to the bottom of the grapnels. that looks promising.
    That is a good shout. The folding grapnels do have an eye at the crown. Make sure that there is some slack between the crown and zip tie so that the pull does not run straight down the shank to the crown. I'd trial it somewhere dry to get the set up right before using it in anger.

Cross post with Bobcat
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

A rock bag anchor might serve the purpose. Fill the bag with available stones to the desired weight, then pour them out when you get under way. No sharp edges, negligible weight when empty, and easy to make. Discarded seine netting works great, but you may have to travel to the BC coast to find it.

richter

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    richter
    Thanks, found them. their idea of small is 14lbs though. That is almost three 6-packs of canned beer. (3)!

The kayak anchors are a pound and a half to three pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryLL View Post
    A rock bag anchor might serve the purpose. Fill the bag with available stones to the desired weight, then pour them out when you get under way. No sharp edges, negligible weight when empty, and easy to make. Discarded seine netting works great, but you may have to travel to the BC coast to find it.
    The bags you get a half hundredweight of onions in do nicely.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

I anchor from a larger boat and whether this would work for you depends on depth. I like a polypropolene line from the crown with or without a float so that if I must winkle the anchor out backwards there's a line for that. But on a small think like a kayak that might be too much extra stuff.

On larger boats I have always mistrusted the tie to the crown lash lightly to the shank because if under large boat strains that lashing breaks (as it's designed to) you're suddenly quite adrift. There's a lot of trash on harbor bottoms - abandoned cables, old moorings, et cetera - so it's not just rocky bottoms where you might get your hook stuck.

My permanent rig - and this is not suitable to the OP's kayak but folk with larger boats who have not tumbled to it might like - is the polyprop from the crown and the other end attached to a small weight of some sort. The line runs through a shackle under a pick-up buoy. I have several of these lines so I can select one that's more than the anchoring depth and less than twice the depth. That way the weight pulling down causes the line to run pretty near straight up from the anchor crown, through the shackle under the buoy, and down to the weight. Gives me a nice view of exactly where my hook is, which can be nice in a crowded harbor if you want a late-comer to anchor a bit further off.

And even if you don't need it to winkle the hook loose, I find it useful for singlehanded sailing off the mooring. For that I tack up and as I pass the buoy I snag it with the boat hook and put a turn on a stern cleat. Sailing on I take in as much of the main rode slack as is convenient and once the hook breaks I haul that up near the boat to be retrieved when I am clear of other boats.

If you're managing a boat of anywhere from 12 to 20 tons alone and don't want the rock crusher on, that trip line trick is the way to go.

G'luck

copper for easy bending ability, both for retrieval and subsequent repair
    fill with sand, pebbles, or even concrete as needed

Sounds like the OP is talking about folding grapnels, which won't straighten out to dislodge. You need to find the sort that just has a few bent rods as flukes, kind of like umbrella spokes, but thicker. Have a look in a fishing supply place. You can usually pull them out of rocks and reefs easy enough. They don't fold down nice though.

I like that but one of the reasons I have been interested in mushroom or a securable grapnel is because the boards are bit dainty compared to some boats and sharp poking things on a SOF board are an invitation to test Murphys Law.

You can belay to the anchor crown; it works; I do it all the time when anchoring over sticky bottom. But when I need to break the zip tie, I shorten up the rode in the trough of a wave, tailing against the cleat as the boat then rises and ,....POP!

I use the boat's bouyancy to break free. Don't know, with stretch in the line and all,and a lot less bouyancy, what size zip ties, wires or line you would need to use from a paddleboard to break the tie. Might want to experiment in a controlled situation first, lest you donate an anchor to the Quarry Gods.

As Ian states, its a fair-weather technique, or one to use when someone is always on watch and on board. I use it for fishing, not sleeping aboard. Of course, none of this applies to an SUP --I don't think--but there it is.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

What about one of those little, plastic-coated mushroom anchors fishermen use as a stern anchor in their aluminum skiffs? I think someplace like Cabella's sells them. I think I've seen them not much bigger than your sash weight.

If you're worried about it fouling, maybe string a trip line of P-cord from the crown, running up to something as simple as a big fishing bobber. As nifty as the breakaway-zip-tie trick sounds, I'd be worried about either not having enough bouyancy (or balance!) on an SUP to provide the leverage to break it loose, or, as Ian McColgin suggests, having it break loose unexpectedly.

Anchor, rode, trip line, and bobber shouldn't make an enormous package.

Not much out there that's as simple as a mushroom, and it strikes me that simple would be good, in your application. We aren't talking about a 100-ton'er laying to a hurricane off Grand Bahama...

Reminds me of cruising Lake Tahoe in my SJ21 many years ago...
    I wish I'd thought of that, when I was there!

copper for easy bending ability, both for retrieval and subsequent repair
    fill with sand, pebbles, or even concrete as needed
    That's wicked clever. How well does it work?

Alex

Gentlemen, thanks for the replies, I now have a plan B and C. I would have gone with a 3lb mushroom but cannot find any less than 5 lbs anymore. The good news is that there may be one in the back corner of my shop along with the fluke/fishermans anchor I use for the canoe. I have a vague recollection of owning one years ago and not getting it to work on the weedy bottoms I visited back then.

But I am going to start out with a small grapnel because they stow easily, and if that does not work then I like the rock bag idea, very simple, just have to use smooth rocks from the river and not angular ones from the reservoir shore. Meanwhile the temp has dropped and there is a good rain in the forecast for the next week, so I have time to play with knots and zip ties.

Regards,

Adrift on the Blue Barge

[IMG][/IMG]

If the cove is shallow enough, it might be more economical to dive for lost anchors. You would care less about losing it if you knew you could retrieve it later.

Well I was out in the shop looking for something (half my time is spent looking for something) and found a bucket of fishing sinkers I have been keeping around for a weighted centerboard and had an idea.

So I made these in about half an hour. Because I had the PVC and eyebolts laying around all I had to buy were the caps. Spent Sunday helping out at a charity poker run for motorcycles and did not get out to try them, but maybe later today if the weather holds. Inspiration via Paul's post and my favorite 8lb window sash canoe anchor.

After taking the pictures I also found some chain and added 8-inches of that as a rode to lay the anchor down and get the air out. If they work well enough and I dont loose them I will most likely retreive the sinkers and make some with rocks or concrete. just pour some conc in the PVC with a bottom cap and set the eyebolt in the top of the conc.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Update, plenty of time to float around and try to get the anchor stuck, still have it. While anchored in a soft bottom I was blown off at 8-10 mph. I was a bit concerned about the lead as an environmental hazard and have made a slight revision to the materials but not the design. Made up three more Saturday morning in following manner and gave them to some of the paddleboard tribe for the weekend. All anchors are still accounted for.

4 sticks of 1/2-inch rebar 9-inches long weighs 2 lbs.

Those four sticks of rebar will fit into a 1 1/4-inch piece of PVC. The PVC wont scratch the boards. Same construction method as shown above.

Material cost including rope is about $10/anchor. YMMV based on location.

Sunday afternoon the local paddle board rental guy and I talked about them and he is going to order 10 to start. One of the testers over the weekend makes jewelry and attends a few sup demonstrations and races over the summer, She wants 20.

Not really high dollar or high tech construction but I can make 4 and maybe 5 per hour. Gonna tech my sons how to make them and maybe they can get a small revenue stream going.

Just an idea if you have some youngsters around in an area with a lot of SUP.

Cheers.

[IMG][/IMG]

It's not surprising that they slip on clean ground since they don't have anything to dig in with. Good to hear that you can easily recover them. Good luck on your new, little business!

So this is starting to take off and I am developing another version for the muddy weedy bottom on the other end of the lake for the yoga class down there and a class in Longmont.

I talked it over with my girlfeind and she has agreed to do most of the assembly and run the web page, Ill do the materials sourcing and do the saw work. I certainly dont see quitting my job and getting rich but she could use an extra few hundro a month and I might get enough for a new paddle board. Both sons are in the process of moving to Denver.

In other news, here in the woodenboat desert of the US, Sunday on the way to the lake I saw a handmade cedar strip paddleboard, which was very cool, and then talked to another gentleman at the boat ramp who was taking off in a 6 hour canoe.

Sup talk/update. I am still making about two dozen anchors a year with no advertising, just word of mouth from the original 60 or so I made, may have talked someone into taking over. They are going to make a few with me this week. They have ideas about advertising or maybe more correctly, marketing. As it would impossible to patent I offer the recipe up again if someone has a teen ager who would like a small production project.

Three weeks ago as I was buying a new rigid touring board my inflatable blew out a seal at the fin box the same day. It is a well used 3 year old Isle explorer with over two hundred hours of use, well worth repairing. The skin had separated from the drop stitch so I sent it to the pros.

Then we unwrapped the new GUSU IR hard board and the skin had bubbled. It was shipped with the vent plug in tight. I originally thought the pad had separated so I got one short paddle in. Nice and fast compared to the inflatables as you would expect, very nice in the chop.

Three weeks of paddling on my old worn out hala nass. Not affectionately nicknamed Mr. floppy.

Last night I got the inflatable back and tomorrow the new touring board is supposed to show up. Happy camper, now I can sell the Hala. And a few bicycles.

With the hala and some bikes gone I have room to build and more importantly store the 14' kaholo. But I think I said that 3 years ago too.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Quarries are usually not very deep.
    Are there any new young scuba divers in your area who might like to explore the bottom of your quarry
    to find lost objects, including anchors?
    Sounds like fun!

Since the OP returns frequently to the same place, a pile of suitable rocks piled near the shore would provide a supply for rock bag anchors. Bring a new smooth rock each visit until the supply is adequate. Once the rock pile is established, carrying an anchor isn't necessary.
    Spirit, the quarry is one cove of a large reservoir that can fluctuate by over 30-feet in depth from May to the end of September.
    So, prepositioning suitable anchor stones would involve building a low wall several hundred feet long. Well, better get started.
    Last edited by MN Dave; 07-15-2018 at 12:39 PM.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

I just saw a tutorial video from a kayak site on how to rig a small Grapnel anchor with a ziptie securing the rode to the "top" of the anchor with the rode fully attached to the bottom of the grapnels. that looks promising. Now that I'm thinking about this I'm pretty sure the last time a saw the anchor set up that got lost the rope was tied to the top of the grapnel.

The girl fiend wants to use her work out dumbells, I think she wants to loose them.

I have had a girl fiend or two in my day.

Sorry, man!

It’s hard to resist a good typo!
    Rattling the teacups.

not a typo.

Spirit, the quarry is one cove of a large reservoir that can fluctuate by over 30-feet in depth from May to the end of September. The usual treasure hunting haul is about two dozen sunglass, half a dozen anchors, one swim latter per year, and several bags of trash. And lots of fishing tackle.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues