Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aleut vs Greenland Inuit kayaks: a Visual Comparison

Default Re: Aleut vs Greenland Inuit kayaks: a Visual Comparison

yeah interesting stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    What is with the keelson in the INUPIAQ QAYAPAURAQ? Do you grip it with your butt cheeks?
    How could one not? Seriously though, some padding would be placed above it, but essentially this is the case. Such seat stringers are common in certain Inupiaq kayaks.
    Best,
    Harvey

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Golden View Post
    I have not come across any historic descriptions of Unangan willingly over-nighting in their kayaks during hunts, though no doubt it was something that was possible and had to be done on occasion. With regards to Greenlanders making long sea passages, this too would've been accidental, but it is fairly well documented (i.e. South Greenlanders being swept out to sea in storms and turning up on the European coasts). All the best, Harvey
    Great thread James and thanks Harvey for the pics and knowledge. Harvey, why do you say over-nights 'had' to be done on occasion? And do you have links to the documented cases of kayaks from Greenland turning up on European shores? Thanks.
    G. Rowe (Bayman)

Quote Originally Posted by ShagRock View Post
    Harvey, why do you say over-nights 'had' to be done on occasion? And do you have links to the documented cases of kayaks from Greenland turning up on European shores? Thanks.
    Over-nighting at sea would be the result of getting swept out during storms. There is a very remarkable first-hand account (from a Greenlander) who was swept out to sea New Year's eve of 1899. The first English translation of this piece appears in "Eastern Arctic Kayak" by Heath & Arima, 2004:103. F. Spencer Chapman of the British Arctic Air Route Expeditions (early 1930s) describes an account of a Greenlander who spent four nights at sea, having been swept out by a tremendous storm; in this same book, Chapman himself describes a kayak trip during which he remained in his kayak for 24 hours (in "Watkins' Last Expedition," 1934).

With regards to Greenlanders turning up on the European Coasts in their kayaks, in the aforementioned "Easter Arctic Kayaks," Heath provides a survey drawing of a kayak in Scotland said to have washed up ca. 1700 with a paddler in it. Also, try John R. Tudor's "The Orkneys And Shetland" (1883), David MacRitchie's "The Aberdeen Kayak and its Congeners" and "Kayaks of the North Sea" both 1912, William Clark Souter's "The Story of Our Kayak and Some Others" (1934), Ian Whittaker's "The Scottish Kayaks and the 'Finn-men'" (1954), and his "The Scottish Kayaks Reconsidered" (1977), Gert Nooter's "Old Kayaks in the Netherlands" (1971), Dale Idiens' "Eskimos in Scotland" 1987, William Longyard's "A Speck on the Sea" (2003), and my own "Kayaks of Greenland" (2006).
    All the best,
    Harvey
    Last edited by Harvey Golden; 05-26-2015 at 11:17 AM.

I was asked where to find plans for building your own skin-on-frame kayaks. There are a variety of sources, but you could certainly start with one of the several books on the topic.

Here's one by Chris Cunnigham, who was editor of Sea Kayaker magazine for many years. I built my own very first skin boat from the three-part article he published in that magazine 20-ish years ago. This would be a fine place to start. Greenland boats are simpler and have fewer parts, so I'd suggest starting with one of these as a first kayak.

http://www.amazon.com/Building-Green.../dp/0071392378

Building an ikyak is decidedly more complicated and obscure, and there are fewer resources immediately available. Wolfgang Brinck's book is now out of stock, apparently, but there are some online resources worth researching here:
    http://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/Buil...xibleBaidarka/
    http://wolfgangbrinck.com/boats/boat...ess/index.html

and for the aluminum-framed dyson neo-baidarka-oid:
    http://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/Buil...ka/Manual.html

I found "Instruktion i kajakbygning" by H.C. Petersen a fine book to start with.

James, I wish you hadn't posted all this information. Now I'll have to build myself another baidarka. My last one was destroyed by being crushed during a move (professional moving company!). I still have an Aleutian paddle of the type on the plans for MAE-59376. I won't use any other paddle, except perhaps for a GP. Here is a link to the plans showing the boat and the paddle.

http://www.arctickayaks.com/Lines/Li...tMAE593-76.pdf
    Last edited by Roy Morford; 05-26-2015 at 02:22 PM. Reason: MAE number was wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Moritz View Post
    I found "Instruktion i kajakbygning" by H.C. Petersen a fine book to start with.
    Out of print, it is available on line via the Sisimuit kayak club. At least that is where I think I got it. Site seems to be down now.

Try
    http://www5c.biglobe.ne.jp/~kayak/Qa...jakbygning.pdf
    Last edited by Ben Fuller; 05-26-2015 at 02:53 PM.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Hi James and others,

It was me who asked James about the plans. I didn't want to hijack this thread. This is my first post on this forum, so hello to all. I really enjoy my kayaking and learning to build a boat, or two, or more will take me to a new level of fun.

Thanks for the advise James and to the others for their posts and links. I now have 2 design pdfs and 2 great webpages with loads of information and Cristopher's book to read. If one looks hard enough there is a lot of information on the web. I have found some good YouTube videos like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VznU...ist=WL&index=7

So the plan for me is to build the two boats. Once built I can compare the paddle and feel of these two styles in person, how exciting!

It looks like I am now ready to start planning, gathering my tools, equipment and supplies. I will start with a Greenland SOF as outlined in Cristopher's book.

Ciao, Ben

You won't go wrong with Cunningham's book. I also found "Building a Greenland Kayak" by Mark Starr to be very useful. For materials, I like CLC and Spirit Line but there are lots of other sources. Good luck.
    -Dave