Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 21112

Thread: Point Comfort 23 in Brooklyn

Default Re: Point Comfort 23 in Brooklyn

Edited to add: A post got left behind on page 11, which you will miss if you jump right to page 12.

The stem got it's final shape, a simple angle cut with a little extra sheer. The lines of all the components have an increasing visual lift as they reach the bow. One of the more pleasing aspects of deadrise style.

I marked it out and just grabbed a handsaw. A little awkward, as are most cuts on a boat in situ.

I hope to be at least starting the paint this coming weekend. Still some interior stuff to do though.

Getting closer....

Looks great guys. I've missed some posts and will have to backtrack.
    Chuck Thompson

I see I've gotten behind in the posts. Since the last one, we've finished the deck trim back aft, and have put 2 coats of Petit primer on deck, coamings, and toe rails. We've touched up the System 3 primer under the boat where we had screws driven from outside, and we've started building a gantry to hoist the boat to get a trailer under her.

This aft deck trim was glued on a little proud. Has since been planed flush, the ends trimmed, and all radiused to match the deck edge. So all ply deck edges have been either glassed or covered with glued on trim.

Primer.

The deck is Kirby's Colonial Cream. Coaming and toe rails will be the same color as the seat inside. Rub rail will be black. I'll try to post more in the am.
    Last edited by jim_cricket; 04-05-2017 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Added text.

That looks wonderful
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

Suddenly, it seems, you're nearly ready. It's been really fun to watch.

Thank you gents, getting close for sure. We are building a gantry for permanent use that can be dismantled and taken into the shop. After launch, it will live outside, straddling the boat's winter storage location. I'd like to store her on blocks rather than the trailer to facilitate bottom paint, but we'll see. the gantry is wood, because we don't have metal working equipment out there yet. I have future plans for that, but I'll get arrested if I spend any more money right now. I drew the gantry to fit under the lights in the shop. If it needs to be higher outside for some reason, we can block it up. All 2x6 and 2x10 construction grade fir.

As you can see, there will be 2 chain hoists lifting a pipe spreader with a pair of web slings each side.

Not done yet, but more pics hopefully after this weekend. We are taking a day to go up to NW Connecticut to visit a shop that is retstoring one of our 25' war canoes. That was too big a project for me to take on. Maybe the next one. I'll take some pics up there.

Thanks for hanging in there.

Hi Jim

A boat that size can be offloaded onto blocks pretty easily if she is on a roller trailer. Less than an hour's work. ( Just did same to my 23-footer)

Also, and just FYI, Brownell Boat Stands ( no personal affilliation), offers a kit that lets you lift the boat above the trailer. It's basically a pair of boat stands bolted to the trailer frame. A bit spendy, but a handy guy could find some Craigslists jack stands and make up his own.

If storage space is a premium, these solutions may be of interest.

Enjoying watching your build, as ever.

Best

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Just a quick update. Haven't taken many pictures of multiple coats of paint, but progress is made. topsides all done. Coaming and toe rails painted (pics later after the blue tape comes off). Gantry done, but waiting on web slings and chain hoist, etc. We are about a month away from launch.

Thanks for the comments, Kevin. I've seen those Brownell stands. I wanted the gantry for other stuff, and it seemed an easy and not too expensive way to hoist the boat to get it on a trailer just to get it out of the shop.

More later....

Excellent work!

Have you noticed the PC23 that Brooklin Boatyard has in their classifieds for $58,000? I bet your kicking yourself you built this one when you could have just bought that one.
    Last edited by chuckt; 04-19-2017 at 07:01 PM.
    Chuck Thompson

I've seen that one Chuck, and I'm curious what she'll fetch in the end. We all know there's no money in this type of boat construction. I don't even want to think about how much time I have in this one. I'll bet we have 23 or 24k tied up in the boat, with motor and trailer. I'll do a big tally at the end, just don't tell our Board of Directors what the bottom line is. I guessed at 10k for the hull, and I think that will be light. Hell, the ss half round on the rub rail and stem is $420!
    Thanks for looking.

Topsides paint is done, along with trim and rub rail. The interior is mostly done now, with a couple of touch ups and painting under the deck. Next weekend the stainless half round goes on the rub rails, and a couple of carpentry items to finish, like a housing for the fuse panel, and some wiring, etc. We should have the chain hoists for the gantry, though the trailer is not here yet. And bottom paint.

A lot of repetitive tasks, not so much drama. See you later....

That is one beautiful boat. The design is wonderful to start with, but the work you have done and documented is spectacular. Thanks for sharing this build. I can't wait to see her fitted out and on the water.

Thanks Maximus, I'm with you- Can't wait to see her done! It's been a rewarding build, and fairly quick by my usual standards, but I'm ready to be finished.
    Cricket