Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2111213 LastLast

Thread: Point Comfort 23 in Brooklyn

Default Re: Point Comfort 23 in Brooklyn

Edited to add: A post got left behind on page 11, which you will miss if you jump right to page 12.

The stem got it's final shape, a simple angle cut with a little extra sheer. The lines of all the components have an increasing visual lift as they reach the bow. One of the more pleasing aspects of deadrise style.

I marked it out and just grabbed a handsaw. A little awkward, as are most cuts on a boat in situ.

I hope to be at least starting the paint this coming weekend. Still some interior stuff to do though.

Getting closer....

Looks great guys. I've missed some posts and will have to backtrack.
    Chuck Thompson

I see I've gotten behind in the posts. Since the last one, we've finished the deck trim back aft, and have put 2 coats of Petit primer on deck, coamings, and toe rails. We've touched up the System 3 primer under the boat where we had screws driven from outside, and we've started building a gantry to hoist the boat to get a trailer under her.

This aft deck trim was glued on a little proud. Has since been planed flush, the ends trimmed, and all radiused to match the deck edge. So all ply deck edges have been either glassed or covered with glued on trim.

Primer.

The deck is Kirby's Colonial Cream. Coaming and toe rails will be the same color as the seat inside. Rub rail will be black. I'll try to post more in the am.
    Last edited by jim_cricket; 04-05-2017 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Added text.

That looks wonderful
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

Suddenly, it seems, you're nearly ready. It's been really fun to watch.

Thank you gents, getting close for sure. We are building a gantry for permanent use that can be dismantled and taken into the shop. After launch, it will live outside, straddling the boat's winter storage location. I'd like to store her on blocks rather than the trailer to facilitate bottom paint, but we'll see. the gantry is wood, because we don't have metal working equipment out there yet. I have future plans for that, but I'll get arrested if I spend any more money right now. I drew the gantry to fit under the lights in the shop. If it needs to be higher outside for some reason, we can block it up. All 2x6 and 2x10 construction grade fir.

As you can see, there will be 2 chain hoists lifting a pipe spreader with a pair of web slings each side.

Not done yet, but more pics hopefully after this weekend. We are taking a day to go up to NW Connecticut to visit a shop that is retstoring one of our 25' war canoes. That was too big a project for me to take on. Maybe the next one. I'll take some pics up there.

Thanks for hanging in there.

Hi Jim

A boat that size can be offloaded onto blocks pretty easily if she is on a roller trailer. Less than an hour's work. ( Just did same to my 23-footer)

Also, and just FYI, Brownell Boat Stands ( no personal affilliation), offers a kit that lets you lift the boat above the trailer. It's basically a pair of boat stands bolted to the trailer frame. A bit spendy, but a handy guy could find some Craigslists jack stands and make up his own.

If storage space is a premium, these solutions may be of interest.

Enjoying watching your build, as ever.

Best

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Just a quick update. Haven't taken many pictures of multiple coats of paint, but progress is made. topsides all done. Coaming and toe rails painted (pics later after the blue tape comes off). Gantry done, but waiting on web slings and chain hoist, etc. We are about a month away from launch.

Thanks for the comments, Kevin. I've seen those Brownell stands. I wanted the gantry for other stuff, and it seemed an easy and not too expensive way to hoist the boat to get it on a trailer just to get it out of the shop.

More later....

Excellent work!

Have you noticed the PC23 that Brooklin Boatyard has in their classifieds for $58,000? I bet your kicking yourself you built this one when you could have just bought that one.
    Last edited by chuckt; 04-19-2017 at 07:01 PM.
    Chuck Thompson

I've seen that one Chuck, and I'm curious what she'll fetch in the end. We all know there's no money in this type of boat construction. I don't even want to think about how much time I have in this one. I'll bet we have 23 or 24k tied up in the boat, with motor and trailer. I'll do a big tally at the end, just don't tell our Board of Directors what the bottom line is. I guessed at 10k for the hull, and I think that will be light. Hell, the ss half round on the rub rail and stem is $420!
    Thanks for looking.

Topsides paint is done, along with trim and rub rail. The interior is mostly done now, with a couple of touch ups and painting under the deck. Next weekend the stainless half round goes on the rub rails, and a couple of carpentry items to finish, like a housing for the fuse panel, and some wiring, etc. We should have the chain hoists for the gantry, though the trailer is not here yet. And bottom paint.

A lot of repetitive tasks, not so much drama. See you later....

That is one beautiful boat. The design is wonderful to start with, but the work you have done and documented is spectacular. Thanks for sharing this build. I can't wait to see her fitted out and on the water.

Thanks Maximus, I'm with you- Can't wait to see her done! It's been a rewarding build, and fairly quick by my usual standards, but I'm ready to be finished.
    Cricket

I really like the way you've handled the marriage of the chine to the stem and the stemhead itself. Good eye.
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

Hoping the forward bulkhead hatch color scheme recommendations worked out well for you! Fine build!

Really nice work.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Thanks gents. SchoonerJay, I do like what we did with the bulkhead and trim. I'll get some new interior pics this weekend. My only complaint so far is that I think the deck is a little too yellow and too dark, but the boat really needs full daylight to truly assess the colors. I could go nuts trying to micro manage exact hues and their relationships. I can repaint the deck or anything else later, after launch or next winter. Need to keep moving forward.

Jim,

Just finished reading this thread from the begining, and wanted to thank you for sharing so much useful information, especially your design process, and your rationale for each decision.

The boat is especially beautiful not least because of the clean and understated details of the build which accentuate the lines of the boat.

I'd also like to echo Figments post about the chine strip where it meets the stem. I can't remember ever having seen this piece cut at that type of angle, usually it is aligned with the line of the stem, or cut perpendicular to the axis of the chine. It looks great and somehow really sets off that area of the hull.

Thanks again gents. The spray rail detail is more a product of the rail's cross section, than a determined effort to do something unususal. Anyway, there it is. Here's a pic of the interior looking forward, and the trim colors at the hatch in the bow locker. I like it, and thanks for the suggestion.

I ran a length of gas line down under the sole. There will be a quick disconnect at the tank under the seat (not in the boat in this pic), and the aft end will connect to a fuel/water separator.

Notice here how the floorboard screws actually miss going through the hose. Glad we thought of that. Yes, that's a steel screw that was just in temporarily and has not been changed out yet. Any screws into hull below the waterline, or into the floors, are bronze. I used a lot of stainless screws elsewhere.

We also got the ss half round on the rubrail cut and installed. I ended up using a 4-1/2" grinder with a cutoff wheel, and cut the compound bevel in one go, touching up with a file. On the first one, I used a bench grinder for the angle, and it just cut too hot. We still used a lot of water in the cut. More work than I thought it would be, being careful to preserve the polished surface. Had to use a dremel and some rouge to polish the tips as it was.

I'll post some more pics later today.
    Last edited by jim_cricket; 05-01-2017 at 12:50 PM. Reason: typos

Started pulling some wire, and screwed in the p and s running lights. They look good with the stainless rub strip.

And we are close to finishing the gantry. Got the chain hoists in, and the web straps. Still need to rig them. Patrick got paint on the structure. Sebago blue.

And set up a scene from Jackass the movie.

I have to be away this coming weekend. Back on the boat after that.

Brilliant Jim! From the start to this point. The stainless is really like windows to a building. Lovely!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

beautiful work, simply stunning.

Had to be away for a few days, so not a lot has gotten done, but I put in a shelf and "dash" mount for the circuit panel and 12v charger port under the wheel on the console. Howie has been running some wire to the fwd running lights. We decided to solder those butt splices for a more compact arrangement in the little housings we made, and then used heat shrink tubing over the splices.

View of shelf from inside the console, seat back removed.

Front of console. Those blocks towards the bottom are for a removable foot rest, which bolt in.

Howie is splicing the wires.

Before the tubing is shrunk down.

I bought a sheet of HDPE ("starboard") to make covers for those light housings. Also got the bilge pump installed with the through hull out the transom. Not wired yet.

The trailer has arrived at the distributor, so we'll pick that up this Friday. Hope to get bottom paint on this weekend, then we are ready to fit the trailer and head out to Moriches for the motor install. Oh yes, almost forgot to say that we had the NYPD harbor unit out to inspect the boat, and they gave us our HIN #. So, on to DMV to get the registration. Maybe we'll do that when we register the trailer.

Beautiful, Jim

Well, the gantry works well. It will be easier to use outside, when we get some wheels on it, but it wasn't hard to take apart and set up inside the shop. Our pipe slings spread the load out nicely, and the lift is effortless. We'll have more height outside, but there's enough to get the boat up and on to the trailer, which we just got Friday, BTW.

The pipe spreader is a little out of level, due to the girth differences, but seemed not to matter. There will be less difference when the motor goes on, and we move aft with the sling. In some ways, this gantry was overkill for the task, but it will now be so easy to lift this boat, casually, or any other for that matter. Worth the effort I think. It will live outside, and we'll park the boat underneath for the winter.

Driving this 25' trailer through Brooklyn is not that much fun. will be worse with the boat on it.

Here's the completed console and shelf minus steering wheel of course. Circuit panel, 12 v charger, bilge pump switch. We'll likely make an angled front dash for the few instruments we will use- Tach, water temp, and depth. There's a host of small tasks left, but I'm trying to get the boat out for power by June 2. I need the boat for a sail class on the 17th!

Later...

Awesomeness!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Bottom paint- I hope she sits on her lines.

Also installed the bow eye. I bored 2- 3" deep holes for the bolts, oversize, and packed them with epoxy and high density filler plus colloidal silica. Not through bolted, as the stem is about 8" deep there. I've bonded bow eyes and other hardware like this quite a few times, and it has always worked. Hope so this time as well.

Little heat applied so it gels quick.

We'll have a look tomorrow. The boat goes on the trailer tomorrow! Still have a lot to do though. all kinds of little things.
    Stay tuned...

That's one handsome boat. Love it. Especially like the green trim.

Well Ladies and Gents, Canarsian has left the building. Not really done yet, but I need to get the trailer set up going, as we are to deliver the boat for motor install this coming weekend. Our new trailer won't fit through the doors, so I had to use my smaller one to get the boat out. We hoisted up, cleared out all the strong back support structure, and slipped the little trailer in, with bunks, winch, and mast prop removed. Used a couple of 4x4's, vbocks, wedges, and carpet to support the hull, lowered her down, and rolled her out. All went smooth as clockwork. Love our home made gantry.

Continued next post...

Took the gantry apart again, and put it back together outside where we lifted her up and switched trailers.

So now we are getting the trailer to fit. Not an easy task, without the 250# motor on the transom. We have the trailer moved forward of the transom about 2', and still may have to put some sand bags in the stern to get the tongue weight down to an acceptable number. At least the hull is rugged. 3/4" thick with a 1 3/4" keelson. I have a floor timber close to where the bunks end too. When the motor is on, we'll be able to slide the trailer aft again, to support the transom.

The other problem is I can't get the bunks up high enough. I'll have to add some blocks up under the bunks where they bolt to the brackets to get them higher. I just don't have time right this minute to order a bunch of new parts, so will make do until I get the boat back. I'd like to add a couple of keel rollers, and reconfigure the bunks. Honestly, we will rarely use the trailer, except to roll next door to the Diamond Point YC ramp. Maybe go to Mystic next year?

More pics after this weekend.

Congratulations Jim! I can't explain how much I've enjoyed watching your work on this beautiful boat! Just amazing work
    “Friendship ... is born at the moment when one man says to another "What! You too? I thought that no one but myself . . .” – C. S. Lewis

Awesome!

Video for the launch, please!

I hope you will bring her to Mystic next year, that would be great.

Worked on the trailer until 9 last night, to get ready for the trip out to Moriches, LI. Thanks so much to Hans and Robbie last weekend, Patrick and Howie yesterday, and Norman today. We ended up moving the axle forward, trying to get the tongue weight under control. Norman's suburban didn't notice the weight, thankfully.
    Got the boat out there by noon today, and went over it with Conrad, the owner of Moriches Boat and Motor. I was glad to leave the boat in someone else's hands for the time being, so I can get some rest. On schedule to have the boat back and launched before our sailing class on the 17th. Looking forward to it!

There's a nice Ocean Pointer (looks like) out there in the marina. Got a couple pics. Strip planked, no glass, on probably laminated frames. Didn't look that close. That's a boat i like also, and would have been a good boat for us. Can't build everything, I guess.

See you when we get back to launch!