Thread: Deck Repairs on Windward 15

Default Deck Repairs on Windward 15

Hi all,

I've rented a slip for my Stambaugh Windward 15, and before she goes in the water I think I should at least do something about the separation I'm getting between the deck and the rail.

On a technical note, when I try to include a 141 kB, 816x612 JPEG illustration of the problem, it "exceeds my quota by 21.3 kB." When I try to include a 33 kB, 36x245 JPEG, it "exceeds my quota by 18.4 kB." Whatever!

So to explain, the plywood shows some "waviness" on the deck surface, but it is not rotten as far as I can see, just a bit delaminated, I guess you'd call it. I could squeeze adhesive/sealant into the gap, put plastic wrap on the surface, and keep it clamped for days if needed to do the repair (and avoid replacing the deck, at least this year). Could anybody recommend a different approach, or suggest an adhesive? My inclination is to just use 5200 and go for it.

Perhaps will get a picture figured out in the replies. Thanks!

Default Re: Deck Repairs on Windward 15

Sounds like you may have Doug Fir marine ply, which will check and delam if not glassed.

Here's how to post photos on this forum:

FIRST - Don't attach photos. Only a tiny version will display.

SECOND - Post the photos on the web. Use your own website or a free image hosting service like www.flickr.com, picasaweb.google.com, picturetrail, photobucket, shutterfly, etc. Facebook is not recommended since the image URL is changed after a few months (breaking the link), and images must be set to "Public" access via the Edit option, not limited to "Friends".

THIRD - Once posted on the web, right-click the photo to "Copy Image Location", or drag the photo to another browser window, then copy the image URL (web address) which will end in ".jpg". You can test by pasting the photo URL into the location field (http://* ) of a web browser and see if the photo displays. Remember that this process will not work for photos located just on your computer, on members-only Yahoo groups, or on Facebook unless set to "Public" view.

In Flickr - First click the photo to bring up the options on the right, click the downward arrow icon on the far right ("Download this photo"), then in the list that appears click "View All Sizes". Select the size you want (if not the default size displayed) then get the image URL by right-clicking the image.

FOURTH - DO THIS EVERY TIME TO POST IMAGES IN THREADS:
    A. In any "Reply" window you can click the "insert image" icon --> a little yellow square icon with a dot at each corner, a tiny tree in the center.

Depending on browser version and Reply/Edit status, this may bring up a simple window with a field to paste the URL into, or the "Add an Image" window described below.

B. If the window titled "Add an Image" comes up, click the "From URL" tab, paste the URL of the photo in the field, deselect the box for "Retrieve remote file and reference locally", then click the "INSERT IMAGE" button. The Forum software will resize some large images, so look at your post to see the actual displayed images.

NOTE - most common problems are due to missing the step described above -> deselect the box for "Retrieve remote file and reference locally"
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Thanks for the pointers.

I should have known thickened epoxy makes more sense than sealant, but they don't sell that at HD!

I may phone the builder and find out what kind of ply he used there, but regardless, I reckon an epoxy repair should keep this issue from getting any worse for a year or two. This will be the boat's first season spent in the water (was built in '99), and hopefully there won't be too many other issues. The lake is just a few blocks from home, and this is a centerboard skiff, so pulling it out now and then to dry out is no biggie.

Those ripples go back a fair way by the looks.

It may be difficult to get epoxy to fill the entire void.
    I don`t think it would be easy to fill all the voids with a syringe , but it`s hard to tell from the photo.

You may be able to tilt the boat a little and run epoxy under the delaminated veneer to make a temporary repair.
    Clamping that is a little difficult , you may be able to use weights to apply enough pressure to get reasonable squeeze - out for ( void free ) glue up.

It looks like the end grain of that ply deck may not have been sealed well enough when the deck was put down.

Is it the entire piece of ply warping, or just the top one (or more) plies? How is it attached underneath? Are there solid wood frames / beams that it screws to, or ??

You may have to just let it warp and/or delam, then replace it this fall. As I said earlier, it looks like the builder used doug fir marine ply, which is known for checking (surface cracks) if not covered with fiberglass cloth and epoxy. But it might also be that he used too thin of whatever type of ply, which would explain the warping.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

The deck ply is attached to frames, and in various states of delamination. There is some checking on the underside of the front deck as well. The wood was not glassed and epoxied, only painted. I think I'll seal it around the edges with thickened epoxy for this season and just plan to replace it in the fall.

Thanks so much for the reply. I'm jittery this year because the boat will be in the water unsupervised, getting wind and sun blasted mercilessly.

I applaud your choice to seal it and go sailing this summer! Just stick to your guns and replace that plywood after the season.
    Most will think us old pharts are too old fashioned but, I am still a fan of placing canvas duck rather than glass over any kind of wooden deck as it will not separate if done correctly. I have seen canvas decks last forty years or more with proper care.
    Jay

I did get through one season with this deck after repairing with construction adhesive. In spring of 2016 I resealed and it seemed okay, but I pulled the boat out in midsummer and one day pulled up the mooring cover to discover this:

Alas, nobody seemed to like the color anyway. Last year we built a new one from okoume. Reused the rubrail but we had to make new screw holes, so decided to paint it my "trademark" black stripe as seen on the CLC kayak in the background:

I missed all of last season and there's still a bit of work before we can take it out thanks to the late spring (in Minneapolis we had snow and freezing temps into the third week of April), but we're almost there. Once I get some oarlock risers/blocks installed on the side decks we should be ready to go. Maybe sailing by the 4th.

Yipe! I had no idea that the material was that bad! You have done a great job on the new deck.
    Jay

Thank you for the compliment!
    Rowing this boat was a misery before, with pinned oars and a lot of things just not set up great, so I'm putting some effort into making that work better before getting out there. Cheers,
    Greg

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

That's pretty, but you mentioned a slip in your first post.
    If you leave that bright finished occume out in the weather it's likely to hold up worse than the original.
    Occume has poor rot resistance.
    Watch for hairline cracks at the black oak !!!
    bruce

I always used a mooring cover when I stored the boat on the water, but I'm kind of over it. The bird droppings were no fun at all. I'd have rather spent my time launching than battling that stuff. Maybe one day I'll make mooring cover 2.0 and try again. I would like to see Schooner varnish put to the test in the elements for an entire season, but maybe won't use the boat for that experiment.

The okoume is well protected I'd say. I rolled epoxy around the edge and underside when we installed the deck. The rubrail is basically permanent. We screwed it on through a bed of thickened epoxy, and glassed over the seam where it meets the plywood on the top side (the paint border is not the actual seam). The bottom of the rail is sealed with an extra bead of 5200 though that is a belt-and suspenders situation since the seam is already full of resin. Total overkill and probably still not perfect but I think this will last.

Will definitely look out for cracks! Despite all that wet getting into the old deck seam, the oak was in good shape. I suppose admitting some air and water can be a feature not a bug if you're hardwood. Hopefully I haven't made things worse with an excess of "water proofing", but with that plywood edge I reckoned turning it all into essentially one piece was the best way to go.

I hope these oarlock risers work out. I made them from maple that was hanging around the shop for years. Size/position involved lots of guesswork, and I made them too narrow so they split a bit when I mortised them (amateur hour). Still took a lotta time.
    Last edited by halfnelson; 06-26-2018 at 12:00 AM.