Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: LYSS Build

Default Re: LYSS Build

I can't remember if they were bottom offcuts or not, but it is highly likely.

Basically I'm a believer in sizing parts to the person, rather than the plans. I wanted larger walkways because my boat is a pickup truck. I can measure the console if you like, but moral of the story is figure out how wide you want your walkway (12" min, I like 18" if you can make it fit), then whatever is left over is your console. As long as your helm controls fit inside it, it really doesn't matter how wide your console is. Mine are oriented vertically, so I could have gone down to 8" of width, but then it's a little wonky.

The console will take 2 hours to build. You can always build a second in very little time. If you're feeling extra crazy, you could put in some galvanized or aluminum angle, then just through bolt to the consoles. Size them to fit the little one, and block the bottom of the big one until it fits. Now you have a convertible skiff...

E

You also have the option of offsetting the console a couple inches. Your steering and control cables will be on the starboard side taking up the walkway so just move the console to starboard and use the prot side for a walkway. I have a 17' Bristol Skiff and they have the console offset a couple inches due to flotation taking up so much available space.

I've decided to keep with the original plan and probably spent too much time designing and building but I am going to finish the interior natural so wanted it to look nice. Built the corners out of doug fir and then used mahogany ply for the panels. The console is really quite large and has great storage capacity. I measured the space between the deck carlin and the edge of the console and still have about 20" so we will see how it goes. If I hate it I will build a narrower one down the road.

Also spent some time laminating the transom knee from two pieces of ABX and two pieces of 1088.

Also spent some time with the low angle block plane and jack plane getting the sheer beveled to begin installing the deck. I thought I was being clever by installing the sheer clamp proud of the plywood and should have done just the reverse. Had i installed it lower the the edge of the plywood with an approximate bevel sawn into it I would only have to bring the plywood fair. As it stands I am shaving both clamp and plywood to bring level for deck installation. Live and learn I guess.

I was just wondering if there was any progress on this. Glad to see you posted. It's looking good!

How wide do you intend your side decks to be? How much room does that give you between your console and decks?

I just found your thread today and am catching up a bit. I am about to turn my LYS over and have been doing mental gymnastics with how exactly to do it. You're telling me you flipped yours end over end, rather than rolling over the side? It makes sense that there is a lot more support at the transom than the 1/2" ply on the sides. Can you provide some further explanation of that process?

By the way, your boat looks fantastic. My build has taken me almost a year now and I'm still not done. I'm lucky to get 1-2 hours a week to work on it.

I didn't flip it end for end but rolled it on the lawn with one adult, three teenagers and a twin mattress. We put it on a little harbor freight furniture dolly, rolled it out to the edge of the lawn and then carried it to the grass. At that point we set the boat down and laid the mattress parallel to the transom roll point. My buddy kept the nose of the boat high, I hung onto one of the transom corners and the kids pushed it to the tipping point.

She rolled right over with me hanging onto the corner post like a flag trying to slow down the roll and it was over almost as fast as it began. It was really much ado about nothing. Thanks for the compliments on my build, just plugging away and trying to do the best I can.
    Last edited by PNW Crabber; 07-16-2015 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGoat View Post
    I was just wondering if there was any progress on this. Glad to see you posted. It's looking good!

How wide do you intend your side decks to be? How much room does that give you between your console and decks?
    My decks are about 7" to 8" all in so I will have about 16" - 18" of pass through on each side. Six feet of deck beam minus 24" of console minus 16" of deck leaves about 32" to 34" of total space.

Thanks!

On this boat, rolling over the transom is easy. I actually did it alone in the grass...

Where are the frames? I know you're doing side decks, but just want to make sure you have your frames in place so you don't have a messy bevel when it comes time to deck the girl.

E

Quote Originally Posted by Spokaloo View Post
    On this boat, rolling over the transom is easy. I actually did it alone in the grass...

Where are the frames? I know you're doing side decks, but just want to make sure you have your frames in place so you don't have a messy bevel when it comes time to deck the girl.

E
    I just haven't installed them yet - all those compound bevels and angles give me fits so I hop around doing other things like building the console, etc. to avoid it. Even simple ones like these are pretty messy for me - I either cut the bevel on the wrong side, end up with the material in question to short or some other woodworking travesty. Just can never seem to make them fit as tight and clean as I would like. Used a pattern for the front deck beam which helped a lot so make do the same with the frames.

I will probably install them today since I finished my utility trailer refurb yesterday in preparation for camping at the beach for a week.

What is a 18 to 22 ft LYSS?

Form follows function,.... 21 ft Green one, Salem Boat Specialties, 47 years old....... 22 ft Blue one, Learned ,...7 yrs old?

For several thousand more pictures of many hundreds of different dories, in action, mostly wood boats, Google...... pcphotolady.
    JE
    Last edited by Joe Evens; 08-04-2015 at 08:19 PM.

Well, it's been a bit since my last post with summer vacations, work, etc. and I have made some progress. Pictures to follow tomorrow but all in all the compound angles of the frames are probably the hardest thing I have ever done. This is probably laughable to some of you here that do the most incredible work I have ever seen. In fact, one of the reasons I follow so many builds is to see the wonderful woodwork and fitment. I am not sure how this is done as I am self taught but I tried very hard to have these fit as well as I could.

I am pretty happy with how they turned out but can honestly say I didn't have any idea how much added work the decks would incur. It's all good and I have learned a lot.

I built the main frames out of vertical grain fir. Really beautiful wood and it was shocking how much stiffness these added to the boat.

I cut the small supporting frames from #2 common framing fir and rounded the edges with a router.

Last edited by PNW Crabber; 09-07-2015 at 08:21 PM.

Bow deck beam is from VGF as well and brings a lot of stiffness to the boat.

The watertight bulkhead will go into place about six inches in front of this beam and will be filled with 2 part foam.

Shot from a few feet back.

Last edited by PNW Crabber; 09-07-2015 at 07:57 PM.

Pics didn't come through.
    http://bensboatblog.blogspot.com/
    When peeing over the side,remember,one hand for you,and one hand for the ship.
    Proud Member Of The Elite LPBC.

Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
    Pics didn't come through.
    I don't understand - I can see them fine when I log into the forum. Maybe someone else can comment as well on a yay or nay?

I can't see them either.
    -Dave

Well, that's two so I am not sure what's wrong. I can see them, I upload them to iGoogle (which is what I have done all along) so I'm a little clueless as to what the problem is. Any ideas?

Now I can see all but the first pic.I like what you done with rounding those side supports.

Now I can see all but the first pic.I like what you done with rounding those side supports.
    Well, I am totally confused now. I reloaded all the photos but didn't do anything different so I am not sure what to think. I thought easing all those edges would make them less likely to split and splinter.

And one more shot with most of the frames mocked up.

I wonder if the google photos location is somehow blocking the view? I used to use Google+ but they introduced the new "photos" option which I started using. Any feedback from forum users would be much appreciated.

Same here, I can see all but one now. You're sure they're all set to
    public view?
    -Dave

People that can't see them need to delete their caches on the web browsers. Your browser is causing the problem.

E

Quote Originally Posted by Spokaloo View Post
    People that can't see them need to delete their caches on the web browsers. Your browser is causing the problem.

E
    So you can see them?

Here's one for a test:

Awesome photos! You're doing a great job on your skiff. Look forward to seeing her progress. Cheers...

BTW, all your photos are showing fine for me except the first one in post #89.

Thanks very much ShagRock. I am really enjoying the build and looking forward to the end game of pulling some dungeness in the next couple of months!

pics didn't come through.
    ditto
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

I am going to try this with a different photo sharing site and see if I have better results. I will just upload the last six photos and essentially start over at this point in time.

OK, I essentially started over and posted the same pictures again. I can see them in the body of the message so I am assuming others can as well. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I've tried everything I know to do including deleting my browser history. I still can't see your pictures.

I can see all the pics now and I didn't delete cookies or clear cache.

Nice craftsmanship.

I can see all the pics now and I didn't delete cookies or clear cache.

Nice craftsmanship.
    Hopefully I have the picture issues behind me. I appreciate your comment on craftmanship - this has been a little more difficult to build than I anticipated but I am really enjoying it. Some of the handiwork I see people produce on this forum is absolutely incredible and definitely not in my wheelhouse (no pun intended).