Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LYSS Build

Default Re: LYSS Build

I figured as much. You've got the rake of the sheer interrupted with 2 X 8 butt blocks with 3/4 ply butting together, figures there would be a knuckle. Not too worried about it and found a Evinrude 28 so I am sure it will scoot right along with no appreciable impact.

Sanded the entire boat today and filled a couple of holes, dings and miscellaneous voids to clean it up a bit. Rolled/brushed on another coat of primer and am pretty pleased with how it's looking. Grain is mostly gone and pretty uniform texture. I am much more of a woodworker than I am a finisher so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Hoping to roll the black bottom paint on for Father's Day!

Marked the water line and rolled on the bottom paint. The crab are already scared!

Going to let that cure for a couple of days, mask again and finish the sides. I argued with myself for three weeks about painting prior to boat flip or after and I finally concluded it's so much easier to paint upside down any dings I might incur are worth the ease of painting like this.

The first time you run it up on the beach, it's gonna be dinged. Who cares...

It's not a piano, it's a boat. Use it and enjoy it.

E

Quote Originally Posted by Spokaloo View Post
    The first time you run it up on the beach, it's gonna be dinged. Who cares...It's not a piano, it's a boat. Use it and enjoy it.E
    Great job on your boat PNW Crabber. As to protecting the bottom edge of the bow for beaching, ye old lobster fisherman cut a V-shaped piece of hardwood/plywood (sacrificial piece) to screw to that area. Has no effect on performance of the boat and goes a long ways to protecting the bottom of the bow. There was less concern about the 'pretty aspect' and more so the long-lasting function.

Good point...

on the TERMITE'S DELITE i ran(had installed) a full length piece of 5/4" x 5", treated yellow pine, under the center, as a SACRIFICIAL SHOE

it's dunn a real well job, over the years, and i haven't had any grounding issues, yet

her bottom is sheathed w/ glass mat in epoxy and has never been compromised

w/ your intended use, THE 5-P'S come to mind (PRIOR PLANNING PREVENTS POOR PERFORMANCE) and more bottom protection may be called for

just one old man's way of looking at things

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

You may be right about the bottom protection but I figure if I need to I can always replace the two shoes if the become too worn. I guess only time will tell.

Painted the hull and turned it over day before yesterday. Took Spokaloo's advice and rolled it over on the transom and it was much ado about nothing. Pretty much sent me flying trying to hold on to the stern post but all's well that ends well.

Cut the posts off as I am adding a deck and cut the motor relief.

This really feels like I am making progress. Going to spend the next several days filling screw holes, cutting a relief into the butt blocks for sheer clamps and prepping for deck installation.

Good work sir.She looks wide in that last pic.Wider than I thought she'd be anyway.
    http://bensboatblog.blogspot.com/
    When peeing over the side,remember,one hand for you,and one hand for the ship.
    Proud Member Of The Elite LPBC.

Quote Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
    Good work sir.She looks wide in that last pic.Wider than I thought she'd be anyway.
    Her beam is 6"6" at the cross brace, so pretty roomy even with a console and a couple of kids in there.

Added the sheer clamps and fit the bow deck beam over the last couple of days. I decided early on I wanted to have decks for mounting rod holders, crabbing davits, etc. as well as to simply sit on when not underway.

I went ahead and steamed them using the plastic bag technique. Probably didn't have to but considering the ease of doing it vs. breaking my 14' lengths of CVG Doug Fir it seemed like a worthwhile time investment.

Looking good. I'm hoping to build this very boat later this year. Mine will be a fishing skiff so there will be a deck up front for sure. Going to build a scale model first to play with the layout and determine where to put things. Thanks for documenting your build.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus71 View Post
    Looking good. I'm hoping to build this very boat later this year. Mine will be a fishing skiff so there will be a deck up front for sure. Going to build a scale model first to play with the layout and determine where to put things. Thanks for documenting your build.
    Thanks for the kind words. It has been a lot of fun and frankly more difficult than I envisioned. I kind of had this thought I would bang it together in a couple of weeks but six months later here I am.

I LOVE FLAT BOTTOMED SKIFFS!

i might suggest you secure your intended coolers & fuel tanks BEFORE establishing seat's & deck beam's heights...

that way you can fudge the plans a smidgen, one way or another, to accommodate them UNDER the permanent components

my center seat's dimensions were modified just a little and it now accommodates a 48 qt cooler

one of my rear seat boxes was adjusted to accommodate the starting battery and have enough room for auxiliary wiring needs

adjustments are so easy at this point but a PITA at a later point in construction

just this old man's 2 worth

sw

steve

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    I LOVE FLAT BOTTOMED SKIFFS!

i might suggest you secure your intended coolers & fuel tanks BEFORE establishing seat's & deck beam's heights...

that way you can fudge the plans a smidgen, one way or another, to accommodate them UNDER the permanent components

my center seat's dimensions were modified just a little and it now accommodates a 48 qt cooler

one of my rear seat boxes was adjusted to accommodate the starting battery and have enough room for auxiliary wiring needs

adjustments are so easy at this point but a PITA at a later point in construction

just this old man's 2 worth

sw
    These are great comments and certainly worth considering. I am designing the console right now and want to incorporate a forward seat/cooler. Also need to figure out where to put the battery and fuel tank. Considering the battery on one side within a compartment of the flotation chamber and fuel tank on the opposite side. Any suggestions/ideas from anyone are definitely welcome.

As far as flotation goes, does anyone know if there are specific requirements? Walter Baron notes it must be done for pleasure craft and gives some general guidelines but I'm curious if there are other thoughts out there.

Quote Originally Posted by PNW Crabber View Post
    Thanks for the kind words. It has been a lot of fun and frankly more difficult than I envisioned. I kind of had this thought I would bang it together in a couple of weeks but six months later here I am.
    Wow. Six months? I also had the impression that this was a boat you could complete is a relatively short time (in my mind it was two months). Have you been working consistently or six months or have you had to stop for other projects/activities?

These are great comments and certainly worth considering. I am designing the console right now and want to incorporate a forward seat/cooler. Also need to figure out where to put the battery and fuel tank. Considering the battery on one side within a compartment of the flotation chamber and fuel tank on the opposite side. Any suggestions/ideas from anyone are definitely welcome. As far as flotation goes, does anyone know if there are specific requirements? Walter Baron notes it must be done for pleasure craft and gives some general guidelines but I'm curious if there are other thoughts out there.
    Well, battery should be in vented compartment as they " outgas" so might be less than optimal in a sealed Floatation compartment.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Well, battery should be in vented compartment as they " outgas" so might be less than optimal in a sealed Floatation compartment.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    i would +1 this one

any way you can keep weight along the centerline is to your advantage

my fuel tanks are one behind the other under the fwd casting deck

separate fuel lines running under the floorboards to the rear have their own separate bulbs & connectors

sw

steve

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus71 View Post
    Wow. Six months? I also had the impression that this was a boat you could complete is a relatively short time (in my mind it was two months). Have you been working consistently or six months or have you had to stop for other projects/activities?
    Two months of steady work is probably accurate if the crappy MDO doesn't snap in half and you can devote quite a bit more time than I have. I typically invest an hour or two a couple evenings a week and maybe one day here and there on the weekends.

i would +1 this one

any way you can keep weight along the centerline is to your advantage

my fuel tanks are one behind the other under the fwd casting deck

separate fuel lines running under the floorboards to the rear have their own separate bulbs & connectors

sw
    That was my intent with the fuel tank and since I don't have floorboards I have to be somewhat sensitive where the lines are running. The battery will probably end up on the floor of the console with the fuel tank directly behind me. The flotation chambers are going to be split with empty compartments forward of the foam itself so no worries about venting.

That was my intent with the fuel tank and since I don't have floorboards I have to be somewhat sensitive where the lines are running. The battery will probably end up on the floor of the console with the fuel tank directly behind me. The flotation chambers are going to be split with empty compartments forward of the foam itself so no worries about venting.
    Speaking of not having floor boards... That is one thing I would want to add. Is it really as easy as adding properly spaced stingers across the bottom and then adding the floor boards of choice? I will be doing a search on this topic but does anyone have any good examples at hand that they can point me to?

i fitted mine out of wolmanized(sp?) plywood & wrapped them w/ indoor/outdoor carpet

they are quieter, semi non skid & provide me w/ a level playing field w/o trippers

and when water gets in the boat, i don't have to wade in it all day

when they get muddy i just flip 'em out & hit 'em w/ the power washer, which is way easier than cleaning the inside of the boat w/ only a 1" hole to drain the water...

i didn't get this fat working hard

sw

steve

I am sure you could probably run three or four stringers the same thickness as the butt blocks and then run something relatively thin over the tops and butt against the chines. I am not going to bother but I get the desire.

Swoody - post a couple of pictures of yours if you get a chance. I would like to see how you have it fitted out.

will try to dig the TERMITE'S DELITE out of the shed & snap a pic or 2, this wknd, if the *%#@ RAIN will cut me a break

sw

steve

had to just take some flash pics butt i think you can see enough in them

1st pic is looking fwd up under the casting deck where the 2 fuel tanks ride, one in front of the other

you are seeing 2 carpeted floorboards

the front one is flat & has a slots for the fuel lines on each side

the fuel line is run thru some of that HD plastic corrugated tubing, to protect it from me & abrasion

the next one has a diagonally cut cleat screwed to the top of it & is then carpeted over and the cleat keeps the fuel tanks from escaping their intended nest

the 2nd pic shows how i built different sized battery & stuff boxes under the rear seat

it also shows the diagonally cut cleat that keeps the aftermost floorboard from sliding out of position(wish i had placed these 2 b4 i did the carpeting)

the outer edge of all 3 pieces rests on the chine & i cut & screwed equal height blocks to the underside of them to keep the floor from flexing under MY WEIGHT

sorry for the phone pics, just hope they help

i know having a level carpeted surface under foot sure is nice

sw

steve

had to just take some flash pics butt i think you can see enough in them

1st pic is looking fwd up under the casting deck where the 2 fuel tanks ride, one in front of the other

you are seeing 2 carpeted floorboards

the front one is flat & has a slots for the fuel lines on each side

the fuel line is run thru some of that HD plastic corrugated tubing, to protect it from me & abrasion

the next one has a diagonally cut cleat screwed to the top of it & is then carpeted over and the cleat keeps the fuel tanks from escaping their intended nest

the 2nd pic shows how i built different sized battery & stuff boxes under the rear seat

it also shows the diagonally cut cleat that keeps the aftermost floorboard from sliding out of position(wish i had placed these 2 b4 i did the carpeting)

the outer edge of all 3 pieces rests on the chine & i cut & screwed equal height blocks to the underside of them to keep the floor from flexing under MY WEIGHT

sorry for the phone pics, just hope they help

i know having a level carpeted surface under foot sure is nice

sw
    Thanks for the pics, everything helps! I am struggling right now with the deck width vs. the specified dimensions of the console as it seems like it will be pretty tight in between them. Probably not a big deal but something I need to figure out before I go much further. I think I am going to go with a cooler seat combo in front of the console and then a temporary cleat/cross seat in front depending on what I am doing.

my fishing guide friend ha had to put STRONG HANDLES on his console since some of his customers were grabbing his windscreen & broke it

i can see where a person passing thru a narrow space would be looking for something to hang on to

possibly combine it w/ a vertical rod holder

sw

steve

The wide console specified is why Eric built a smaller one. He's one of the biggest advocates of LYS here on the forum. You can find his build here:
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ber+yard+skiff

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGoat View Post
    The wide console specified is why Eric built a smaller one. He's one of the biggest advocates of LYS here on the forum. You can find his build here:
    Oh yes.His build is pretty nice.He has USED that boat, and never really gave it any love at all.Think rented mule type of life,for his boat.It's amazing that the damn thing still floats and looks good.
    http://bensboatblog.blogspot.com/
    When peeing over the side,remember,one hand for you,and one hand for the ship.
    Proud Member Of The Elite LPBC.

Spokaloo's build actually motivated me to build one as well. I am primarily looking at crabbing and fishing with the family. I am probably the world's slowest boat builder and have taken a hybrid approach of using some lumberyard material and some upgrade material. I have spent about $900.00 on wood but have opted for marine ply after the Shi%##* MDO snapped on me as well as some CVG fir. Really want to end up with something I am proud of, can beat up a little but not feel too bad about it and use for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGoat View Post
    Yeah, I had looked at his build both here and on his website and I guess I should have paid closer attention to some of his comments. I think if I had to do it over again I would split the difference on the width of the console between Walt's which is 24" wide and his which looks like maybe 16". I may even build another console down the road and keep it to 18" - 20".

Doesn't sound like much but an extra 2" or 3" can be a lot when there are kids on board, crab scuttling around and a ferocious 15 lb boat dog all in the fray.

Yeah, I had looked at his build both here and on his website and I guess I should have paid closer attention to some of his comments. I think if I had to do it over again I would split the difference on the width of the console between Walt's which is 24" wide and his which looks like maybe 16". I may even build another console down the road and keep it to 18" - 20".

Doesn't sound like much but an extra 2" or 3" can be a lot when there are kids on board, crab scuttling around and a ferocious 15 lb boat dog all in the fray.
    Just looking at his console, and just guessing without ever looking at the plans, I think that his console is made out of the offcuts from the bottom. Once again, that's just a guess and we would need him to weigh in to get the truth.