Thread: Oughtred Oar Plans

Default Oughtred Oar Plans

I have a set of oar plans from Iain showing spoon oars with a maximum width of 4 7/8" and flat blade oars at 4 1/4". I was thinking of making one pair of each. My 10' 4" flat oars are for a motor boat of 7' beam and 9.5' spoons for my Sooty Tern. My board is 10' 4". I wonder about the width of the flat oars but every time I question Iain's design I regret it later. Any experience with these design especially the flat blades?

Neil

Default Re: Oughtred Oar Plans

I prefer long, narrow blades with minimal spoon in my Snooty.

See http://scottishcoastalrowing.org/boa...g/oars-update/ , and http://staylesskiff.freeforums.net/thread/2/all-oars . I have tried to make oars like these for my Sooty Tern Trondra. I made them at 9' 8", just to fit in the cockpit length.

Cheers, Ian
    “Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”
    Alan Byde, Canoe Design and Construction, Pelham Books, 1978

“...old maxim, 'A fair line supersedes any given measurement'.”
    Allan H. Vaitses, Lofting, International Marine, 1980

Flat blades means they can be used either way round, and this to me would offset the advantage to be gained from spooning them.

As for width, why not rough them out first at the wider size and try them? You can always narrow them a bit later if you find they're too wide. (4¼" sounds good to me.)

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

My blades are are 4" x 3', or 100mm x 900mm if you prefer. They are flat on the working face with a ridge down the back. The shafts are square from the handles down to below the gunwales, with 6mm plywood plates glued on to rub on the gunwale pads and kabes, so they are not interchangeable, and are not feathered. The vertical plate extends above the shaft and has notches for the rope to go in to set your "gear ratio" and stop the oar sliding out. They balance just below the square part. They seem to work pretty well. Anything I have read about sea-oars says the blades should be long and narrow so you can vary the amount of blade you put in the water.
    Ian
    “Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”
    Alan Byde, Canoe Design and Construction, Pelham Books, 1978

“...old maxim, 'A fair line supersedes any given measurement'.”
    Allan H. Vaitses, Lofting, International Marine, 1980

Where will you be using her? Best past practice puts spoon blades in flat inland waters, narrow flat blades in a seaway. Even flat blades can have central spines for strength and still be flat.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Even flat blades can have central spines for strength and still be flat.
    Of course. Aileen Louisa's --

And when I said flat blades can be used either way round, I meant not only either oar in either rowlock, but also with either oar facing either way. That way -- especially if you're in a hurry -- you can just grab them, ship them, and use them.

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Thanks guys. Yes, I will be using them in choppy water here in Kodiak. I should know better than to question Iain.

Neil

Also, with flat blades you can scull if need be.

What is the problem with Pete Culler's oar designs?
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Be patriotic, save the country: next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level, they are all #Complicit.

I don't think there's any problem at all with Culler oars. They are much of a muchness with Oughtred's designs. Total convergent evolution.