Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beg Meil in Nova Scotia

Default Re: Beg Meil in Nova Scotia

If you are thinking of reducing some thickness of material, I would suggest using my favourite....... Black Locust. I have some if you want to stop by my place. I'm sure we can come up with a fair price to sell you a few BF of it. You'd need to glue some up to make boards wide enough to make a CB case out of but BL glues easily. The trade off is that you could make the parts significantly smaller and not lose the strength. BL is about 130% the strength of White Oak so you can thin it a bit without worrying about strength loss. Weight is the penalty but in your boat, it's not a problem. It would add a couple of pounds over DF for the overall weight of the boat. You're not lifting it off a trailer or anything, it will be floated on and off.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by DeanP View Post
    Hi Bill,

If you make the centerboard case thicker, I think you will have to adjust the C4 and C5 bulkheads by a similar amount to preserve the lines.

I'm struggling with fitting the clamps to the notches in the bulkheads. Very frustrating...

Good luck,
    Quote Originally Posted by billsan View Post
    Shoot I never thought of that. I am planning to increasing the CB from 18-30mm which would mean 6mm increase per side. Off the top of my head I could reduce the end of the tenon and then take the same 6mm back on the bulkhead portion that the tenon comes from so that that there is a full sized tenon and with the bit less bulkhead it should fit in with the same geometry and preserve the lines. I am not sure if that makes sense and I will have to think on it, thanks for sure for bringing that to my attention.

Are you talking about the clamps that will eventually support the deck? If so you are really moving along and I can see how that would be a challenge if you are working solo.

Bill
    Dean raises a great point, and I think it would be easiest to shave 6 mm off each mortise and augment with a hefty fillet. I think that would avoid your having to adjust a bunch of other dimensions that should line up, like the long stringer and the slots for the oar storage.

[IMG]image by Jason D, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Untitled by Jason D, on Flickr[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by DeanP View Post
    I'm struggling with fitting the clamps to the notches in the bulkheads. Very frustrating...
    Dean, I definitely needed to "steam" the douglas fir clamps towards the bow. I use quotes on steam, because I just used a cloth soaked with boiling water and wrapped it around the timber. That limbered it up enough to bend without snapping. Before getting the hot towel tip on the forum, I actually snapped one and had to scarf another section on, but let's not dwell on that. With all my mistakes, I can now make a scarf in 2 minutes flat blindfolded. As they say, it's not the mistakes you make, but how well you recover from them!

Here's a picture of the great scarfing cover-up (just aft of the forward bulkhead):
    [IMG]image by Jason D, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Good luck.

Jason
    Last edited by JasonD; 02-16-2017 at 07:56 PM.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/8f1cd1c3...vwmbo3_540.jpg
    https://68.media.tumblr.com/9175636a...wmbo2_1280.jpg
    https://68.media.tumblr.com/7c191eca...wmbo1_1280.jpg

Although it has been a while due to my broken wings there is finally a bit of progress to report. I am hoping the pictures show up and if they do you can see the centreboard case is nearing completion. I decided to build the outer layer of solid cherry (ill post tomorrow) and am going to go with a wooden centreboard vice a steel one. I talked to Francois and he recommended a 22mm solid wood CB and to build the case at least 6mm wider. With that in mind I will build the CB 22mm thick and glass it (maybe see you Dan for some BL) and I built the case 32mm wide which is quite a bit larger than in the plans. He also mentioned adding weight to the CB but I am going to review what other people have done (John H I believe) to see if there are other methods out there.

Tomorrow I am going to clean up and add the carbon fiber on the wearing parts. and get ready to close the case. I am hoping to also cut the strips for the false stem so that I can put that together this weekend as well. I'll post some pics of that as well but I will try to avoid posting the same type of pics that others have already done. I will focus on pics and discussions on any alterations I make or my experiences as a first time builder.

Jason,

Thanks for the pics and the input, it helps for sure to have that sanity check and I agree Dean saved me a lot of heartache. I am looking forward to finally getting this thing up on the strongback and seeing how it will look.

B

Here is to hoping that this attempt to post pictures goes better than the last. Tonight I managed to rip the stock for the false stem and as you can see I have it clamped to the stem to try and form it a bit before I glue it up most likely tomorrow night. I am thinking however I may do it over two nights to simplify the process and to avoid needles rushing and the problems that come with that.

I also cut the transom out and will begin to do some light bevelling this week before I put it up on the strongback. i will also have to cut the mortise in the forward end of it so that the transom knee can be secured to it. I have been doing a lot of reading on whether I should apply epoxy to it as it is solid wood or just varnish. The rest of the boat will be coating so I am thinking I should do the same here. The other potential option I have thought of is epoxy the inside and use varnish on the outside which will be easier to reapply when the time comes.

Once I get these tasks done I am going to start putting it all up on the strong back. I cannot wait as it has been a long time coming.

One problem with epoxying one face but not the other is moisture transfer. Moisture will move in and out of the uncoated face freely which will expand and contract the wood. The other face will not move as much because the moisture is kept in (or out) with a barrier(the epoxy). Best practice is generally to coat everything if you're going to coat something. Epoxy boats should be covered completely and at all times with epoxy. Fix any nicks you find as soon as you can. If it necessitates sailing home with water soaking into the hull for a week then you should allow the hull to dry out again before fixing the damage. Long story short, coat both faces or you risk causing damage when some wood tries to move and other wood doesn't.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Apropos Sailor's comment, could you varnish over the outer transom face once sealed with epoxy?

Quote Originally Posted by schoonerjay View Post
    Apropos Sailor's comment, could you varnish over the outer transom face once sealed with epoxy?
    Bill, for what it's worth I took the route mentioned by schooner jay: I used West System Special Clear epoxy hardener (no amine blush, takes varnish easily) for two or so coats of epoxy then I will varnish it over top of the epoxy for UV protection and a nice gloss. Also, my understanding (perhaps naive?) is that one can maintain the varnish but not sand down to bare wood, presumably, as long as decent maintenance routine is used. We'll see how that goes!

Jason