Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southern Sooty Tern

Default Southern Sooty Tern

In 2012, after reading James McMullen's earlier Rowan threads, I bought the Arctic/Sooty Tern plans, and on 14th January just gone we launched ours, called Trondra, another name from Shetland. You can see her on http://www.cantyclassicboats.co.nz/blog/sooty-tern, and https://southerntack.wordpress.com/2015/01/14/classic-yacht-sooty-tern-launched-on-otago-harbour/ . The intended uses of the boat are for occasional day-trips on the Otago Harbour here, and for camping trips on the southern lakes of New Zealand.

As the plans are permissive about what thickness of plywood to use, and I wanted to keep my Sooty Tern relatively light, I used 9mm 7ply for the garboard and 6mm 5ply for the rest, but then I sheathed the first three strakes with dynel cloth (extra work!), so it should be tough enough. The paint is one-pot enamel over epoxy and the brightwork is Deks Olje.

The masts and yard are birdsmouth. She has a sprit-boom mizzen and the Norwegian steering system (adapted from the Caledonia Yawl drawings in WB 185, 2005), and Shetland-style oars and kabes. The motor will fit in the stern compartment (if not full of other stuff) when not in the well, and I made a box to fit in the well and fair the hull. I have not built in any ballast, yet, but have made up 4 bags of sand at 12kg each. I tried big water bottles but they were too bulky.

Cheers,
    Ian

Last edited by IanMilne; 04-26-2020 at 03:28 AM. Reason: sp.

Default Re: Southern Sooty Tern

Love this picture. This could just as easily be the Pacific Northwest. A fine looking vessel!!
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Thanks, Ben. That is the Pacific Northwest. It's off one of James McMullen's earlier threads. I liked it too. I borrowed it to show what the completed Sooty Tern looked like. I also sent it to my sailmaker with my order. Thanks, James. When I figure it out I'll post some of my own photos. I have Thorne's guide to doing that.
    Ian

HA! I thought that photo had an odd familiarity to it.

Your boat looks pretty great too!

Ben Sebens, RN

Thanks, Ben. I am quite pleased with her looks too, if I may say so.
    I've got another couple of threads on here:
    "Greetings", on People & Places,
    and "Southern Sooty Tern, Capsize, but not serious", on Misc. Boat Related Items.
    I will hope to meet you at Port Townsend in September. We sailed on the Schooner Zodiac out of Bellingham in 2012.
    Cheers,
    Ian

Will you also do three reefs in the main?
    Gerard>
    Langley, WA

Don't believe Republican lies.

Congratulations Ian!
    Nice to hear from you. It seems you're everywhere.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by IanMilne View Post
    I will hope to meet you at Port Townsend in September. We sailed on the Schooner Zodiac out of Bellingham in 2012.
    Cheers,
    Ian

I look forward to it. There should be a few large schooners at the PTWBF.

Ben Sebens, RN

Thanks, Eric. Your HV16 plans are interesting to study. HV 18 is looking good too.
    I will be doing the Fundamentals of Boatbuilding course at the WoodenBoat School in August. "Everywhere" is right! Hope to see you at PT in September, unless you go cruising, of course.

Hi Gerard,
    Yes, I have three reefs, but not in the same places, except the middle one. I got my sailmaker (Doyles franchise) to put the lower one halfway between the foot and the middle reef, as Iain allows, and the top one at the level of the "throat" of the sail, so that I could convert it to a "Shetland square sail", sort of, for a run. I can re-rig the downhaul as the second sheet. I have tried that at home. The yard sticks out one side so it looks a bit weird and it might be a crazy idea, but it's worth a try, I think. I would want a steady breeze, and plenty of room. The Shetlanders used that one as their second reef, according to an excellent article in WB 118, June 1994. I had a Shetland grandmother so I am interested in their boats. Peerie Maa is a Shetland yoal. (Hi Nick.) We went there in 2004. You can see in Nick's photos that the yoal has a much more prominent keel than Iain Oughtred's derivatives. There is a good photo of Peerie Maa in the colour schemes thread.

Cheers,
    Ian
    “Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”
    Alan Byde, Canoe Design and Construction, Pelham Books, 1978

“...old maxim, 'A fair line supersedes any given measurement'.”
    Allan H. Vaitses, Lofting, International Marine, 1980

Here is a link to photos of the details of Trondra.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131061...7651874621748/
    “Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”

This is just to see if I can post a photo.
    Ian

Well, I made it 500 pixels wide, and that's what happened. Any ideas, please?

Well, whatever the width, that's sure a good-looking boat.

Can you explain about your square 'down wind' sail idea? I don't quite see how the reef at the throat level would give you a horizontal yard.
    Thanks.

Love to see more photos! Looks very nice.

Here's how to post photos on this forum:

FIRST - Don't attach photos. Only a tiny version will display.

SECOND - Post the photos on the web. Use your own website or a free image hosting service like www.flickr.com, picasaweb.google.com, picturetrail, photobucket, shutterfly, etc. Facebook is not recommended the image URL is changed after a few months (breaking the link), and images must be set to "Public" access via the Edit option, not limited to "Friends".

THIRD - Once posted on the web, right-click the photo to "Copy Image Location", or drag the photo to another browser window, then copy the image URL (web address) which will end in ".jpg". You can test by pasting the photo URL into the location field (http://* ) of a web browser and see if the photo displays. Remember that this process will not work for photos located just on your computer, on members-only Yahoo groups, or on Facebook unless set to "Public" view.

In Flickr - First click the photo to bring up the options on the right, click the downward arrow icon on the far right ("Download this photo"), then in the list that appears click "View All Sizes". Select the size you want (if not the default size displayed) then get the image URL by right-clicking the image.

FOURTH - DO THIS EVERY TIME TO POST IMAGES IN THREADS:
    A. In any "Reply" window you can click the "insert image" icon --> a little yellow square icon with a dot at each corner, a tiny tree in the center.

Depending on browser version and Reply/Edit status, this may bring up a simple window with a field to paste the URL into, or the "Add an Image" window described below.

B. If the window titled "Add an Image" comes up, click the "From URL" tab, paste the URL of the photo in the field, deselect the box for "Retrieve remote file and reference locally", then click the "INSERT IMAGE" button. The Forum software will resize some large images, so look at your post to see the actual displayed images.

NOTE - most common problems are due to missing the step described above -> deselect the box for "Retrieve remote file and reference locally"
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Thanks for your comments, James and Thorne, and for the photo instructions. They are a little bit different from the ones I was trying to follow. I'll have another go at it later. My computer is not on Windows or Mac, but is on Linux, Firefox and Thunderbird, if that's of any significance. I set up the flickr a/c for posting photos here, but obviously haven't got something right yet.

Lupussonic, The "Shetland square sail" is a square sail cut with a slanting top (head), so it looks a lot like a dipping lug sail, but the rigging is different. This is explained in WB 118, and in a book called "The Shetland Sixareeen and her Racing Descendants" by Charles Sandison, 1950s. A reprint of this book can be had from the Shetland Times newspaper office. (It is also mentioned in a thread on this forum, somewhere.) Apparently, they would bring the yard down horizontally as the second reef, which would make it a true square sail for running. Of course, the Sooty Tern sail is narrower than the length of the yard, so the upper end of the yard sticks out the side when reefed this way, which looks a bit strange. I tie the reef points upward around the yard instead of downwards around the sail (not the boom) as for the lower reefs. I'll try to post a photo of it here, from when I tried it at home.
    Cheers,
    Ian

Well, this is progress. Here are some pics of that "Shetland square sail reefing".
    Cheers, Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images

[IMG]file:///home/ian/Pictures/MyPictures/SootyTern,Completion/P1052855reduced.JPG[/IMG]

Good work. Another beautiful double ender.
    Re-naming straits as necessary.

Whoop de do. Success at last! That was on Lake Waihola, about 1/12 hour's drive south of home. Now I'll try another one, a bit smaller. Yes, it worked! (BTW, that's a kayak I designed and built in 1981, and then built two stitch and tape (stitch and glue) copies of it. I used one of them for all my best trips.)
    Thanks for the comment, Dave.
    Cheers,
    Ian

Oops. That was meant to be 1/2 hour's drive.......
    Ian

Every time I see the title of this thread, I think someone is building a sooty tern near me… Nice boat.

Here are some details of Sooty Tern Trondra. Pt 1, Set Up and Planking

Pt 2, Buoyancy/Storage Compartments.

Part 3, Interior
    Last edited by IanMilne; 06-07-2015 at 08:36 PM.

Part 4, Hatches. The insides of the compartments have three coats of epoxy resin, washed..

Part 5, Motor well box:
    Last edited by IanMilne; 06-07-2015 at 09:04 PM.

Part 6, Side Thruster

Part 7, Blocks, Oars and Kabes:

Part 8, Just Turned Over; Launching Day

That is a lovely, well thought out looking build you had there Ian. I especially liked the plug for the outboard.

The oarlocks are something I haven't seen before, an idea you came up with?
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Sooty Terns are some of the prettiest boats, and she's a spectacular example.
    Await dreams, loves, life; | There is always tomorrow. | Until there is not.

Grieving love unsaid. | Tomorrow will fail someday. | Tell them today, OK?

Thanks, Steve. The rowing system is from Shetland. We were there in 2004, and will be there again soon. See http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/unst/boathaven/ You can see it on the photos of Peerie Maa that appear here from time to time. The removable pegs are called kabes. A lot of the Shetland ones have been "modernised" by using a single steel pin but the principle is the same. I have seen the similar Norwegian system on some of the boats at PTWBF. Details vary slightly.
    Your cockpit is looking good.
    Cheers, Ian

For photo posting, as an addition to Thorne's instructions, section 3, this is the way it worked for me.
    Alternatively, in Flickr – when you are signed in, click “upload” in the black bar along the top, then select the blue bar “Choose Photos and Videos” on the next screen. Then select and “open” the photo from your files, which will come up in flickr as a small photo with a red rim. Now, click on the small magnifying glass in the lower left corner of the photo, which will then enlarge on a darkened surround. Now, right click it and select “Copy Image Location”. This will record the image's URL.

(You can now post the photo, as in section 4, but you haven't finished uploading the photo into Flickr yet, if that's what you want to do. )

Ian