Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 1011

Thread: Farallone Clipper #15 restoration

Default Re: Farallone Clipper #15 restoration

I'm a few projects behind on updates, so I'll plan to try to get the thread up to date over the Christmas break. Thanks Ned!

Hi all,
    Long time since I posted last, but thought I'd share the documentation of my last big project - rebuilding the cockpit seating. During the pandemic, I did a lot of sailing on the bay and noticed over time that the janky plywood seats were beginning to sink again. I'd shored them up during the rebuild, but the plywood wasn't having it anymore. So it made a great project to do over the Christmas break.

After taking off the cover board, the ply just pulled up with my fingers.

I removed the tiller and coverboards to get access to the supports, which needed to be rebuilt once the new seat was raised to the proper level. I filled the old screw holes with wood nails. The carlins and deck beams were still in decent shape. Just needed to be planed a little bit to clean them up.

The original cockpit seats were teak plywood with a mahogany bullnose front, but those had delaminated and rotted. I decided to go with a more traditional look of teak strips, similar to the cockpit sole. After pulling the boards and cutting out the old seat, I pulled off the supports and took many measurements. I would work under the cover at the dock, but all the seats would be made in my garage at home. You can also see the most important addition to the cockpit which I made a few years ago- a mahogany drink holder.

First plan was to only rebuild the aft seat completely, and plane and cover the lazarette doors with teak strips. But as usual, the more I got down into it, the more I needed to replace. So ultimately ended up with all new plywood everywhere, except for the two forward most corners of the cockpit.

The top 1/4" of the ply on the starboard side had turned to dirt. But the bottom 1/2" was surprisingly solid, so I removed and planed the bad ply and epoxied a new 1/4" board over it to accept the teak strips later.

I made a new tiller wedge out of leftover purpleheart. The original had cracked and was also in need of replacement.

And as I removed the doors, the port-side cockpit support was also found to be rotten, so I needed to build a new one. The starboard side was still in good condition. The piece contained a drip channel routed into it. I didn't have a cove bit big enough, so I used boards to act as a fence to run the board over the tablesaw at an angle to gut the channel.

This was then bolted to the athwartship supports, and used as a base of support for the lazarette door and the vertical cover board. I screwed and glued some bevelled cleats on top of the deck piece to accept the coverboard screws. The cockpit has a sweep aft, so the cleats were bent to follow the batten line.

The new aft seat was next. The plywood needed to fit over the rudder tube at the right angle, so I took a bevel from the tube and used a scrap of wood to act as a guide for a drill bit. Then finished cutting the hole with a jig saw. Once it fit properly and matched up with the old seat lines against the doors, I could take it home to finish up.

Excellent!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

I had spent a lot of time before starting the build to line off the pattern of the new teak. The fore and aft sections were fairly easy to subdivide once I knew the widths I wanted, but the long doors were in the swept section of the cockpit. That took a bit of head scratching to decide how I wanted the pieces to line up fore and aft. But once I was sure, I went to the lumber yard and after eye's bugged out at the price per board foot, I bought only enough teak to absolutely barely cover it all with minimal waste.

I ripped the teak into strips, and made up a bunch of spacers for the glue up, starting with the outside frame pieces. The mahogany bullnose would be added last.

Once the frame was dry, I could then glue the center strips.

Once all the teak was attached, I filled the grooves with tds and sanded it smooth when dry. The cleats were added for the cover board, and a square piece of mahogany was attached to the front and rounded over with a router. Final sanding and bevel on the ends happened at the boat. The tiller wedge was also epoxied and screwed in place before the bronze housing was installed.

Next was to repeat the process for the forward engine access door.

Then the two forward corners.

Notice that the mahogany bullnose is not bevelled at the corners yet. Since the chance of having the doors move around when installing the screws made it impossible to find the corner angles with much certainty, it was much easier to do it with a handsaw once all the doors were installed in place on their hinges.

Next was to install the wider teak slats behind each door.

And then the doors came last. This was the hardest part to commit to with the teak. To get the strakes to line up right, I needed the doors installed on their hinges. But then needed to remove them to take them back home to work on, so it took more time than I expected. I made more than a few trips back and forth to the boat to be sure.

Once all the seats were done, I just needed to make new cover boards. The originals had begun to split as the seats sank, so I replaced them with new mahogany.

Poor man's bandsaw.

I used tds for bedding between the boards where visible and dolfinite where hidden.

Once the plugs where placed and sanded flat, a bunch of varnish. Very satisfying!

Hello,

What nice work you've done!!!
    It's really quite beautiful.
    You mentioned using 'tds' between the boards. What is that?

Regards,
    Alan

That's quite a transformation. Nice work.
    -Dave

Thanks all! Alan, tds is Teak Decking System. It's like a rubberized caulk that can be sanded after curing.