Thread: Wrestling story

Default Wrestling story

One of the kids who often shows up at my house for supper on Thursdays is a wrestler. Just ran across a story on our regional CBC website about her, but you'd do better looking at Lorena's highlights reel at YouTube. She's medalled for Canada in international competitions ... and though she's been wondering about stopping competing lately, apparently not quite yet. Really sweet girl, though nobody's victim.

I've wondered about taking up a grappling sport to fill the holes in the karate I do, but wonder if my bones are a bit old for it at nearly 53. Any of you folks wrestle?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Default Re: Wrestling story

I wrestled in prep school and college up to the age of 28. At 53 have your insurance paid up. That is girl good, especially on her feet; could use a little coaching on that chicken wing and arm bar.
    Conferences at the top level are always courteous. Name calling is left to the foreign ministers. (Averell Harriman)

Quote Originally Posted by hanleyclifford View Post
    I wrestled in prep school and college up to the age of 28. At 53 have your insurance paid up. That is girl good, especially on her feet; could use a little coaching on that chicken wing and arm bar.
    Kinda what I figured. When I owned a younger body, it would have been nice to have had a broader idea of what I wanted to learn how to do with it.

Lorena's older brothers all wrestle - but she beats them now. A judoka too, she figures she'll spend more time playing and coaching judo when she gives up competitive wrestling.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Cool Re: Wrestling story

My youngest son was third in the state(heavyweight) while in high school.
    He's wrestling For Kent State University now.
    I wrestled in high school back in the early 70's when pretty much anybody could be on the team.
    My Dad was a Golden Gloves boxing Champ in the 40's.
    We're definitely a rowdy bunch of Irishmen.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

I guess it's a matter of how well you fall and how fast you heal . 53 is young, don't put it off.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Except for the internet I would never have seen this again: http://www.mocavo.com/The-Milestone-...963/665773/111
    Conferences at the top level are always courteous. Name calling is left to the foreign ministers. (Averell Harriman)

My Boy Jesse was county champion in his weight class for several years. I will always remember yelling out to him at a match, 'Get up Jesse!' and in the time it took me to blink, he stood up, turned around and threw himself on top of his opponent, winning the match.
    A thrilling moment.