Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011 LastLast

Thread: Pathfinder Build In FL Keys

Default Re: Pathfinder Build In FL Keys

Looks extremely slick... no pun intended.

Thanks, glad this thread has helped. I'm a not professional builder by any means, so I'm sure some of my methods aren't the best way. Geoff Kerr's videos on Offcenterharbor have been a huge help along with this forum. And I can't say enough about JWs straight forward construction methods, they are simple and make a really stout boat.

Today i I worked on the mast partner.

The planning for this happened long ago...and I'm not even sure this is the correct location for the mast for the balanced lug yawl. From my calculations, the plans for the balanced lug yawl sold by Duckworks don't account for the mizzen. So I moved it forward.

I leathered the front of the slot first since this moves the mast aft slightly, then I shaped the front of the "lid" to closely fit the mast. Lots of taking this in and out, sanding and rasping it. I tied the mast off to the stem cleat during all that back and forth...

Then i made room for the leather piece that goes on the lid, also wanted to give guys an idea of the length of the slot. Too bad B2 is right there, it would be a lot easier stepping the mast if the slot went thru B2, and I just couldn't bring myself to cut into it. The mast is Sitka, even so, it is awkward stepping it, having the large hatch opening in B1 helps. The slot is a must for stepping the mast.

Finished and in place...varnish to go of course...locks in tight. I'll be adding a pull on it and a method to secure to the boat from below..

Last edited by deke; 09-15-2016 at 09:06 PM.
    "There are many sailors at the bottom of the sea that are smarter than you or I"

Mounted the sheet cleat and the CB uphaul mini bollard...

Focus has shifted to the sculling oar lock and its location...

Thinking ill just drill a hole, and drop it in, add the appropriate support of course, and a pad to make level...

"There are many sailors at the bottom of the sea that are smarter than you or I"

Rigging and final touches has taken longer than expected.

Official commissioning will be this Saturday!

This mast traveller was made from a stainless j hook welded to one of those anchor ball rings...I just cut the the loops off the anchor ball ring.. That was my first leather work, fleet average....

Sculling oar notch results...she will be a sail-n-scull boat....

Forward hatch seal and dogs...

Making of the knobs or dogs...

Hole led was over drill prior to tapping...for the dogs...and drill close enough so the dog overlaps the hatch...

In This shot you can see the hole has been tapped and also the re-enforcing beam for the down haul is now glued in place....

My lucky mast step penny...

Tomorrow I will be installing the CB for good, here are some details, I'll get the line cut to length tomorrow and get some action shots...

Pin in for the CB sheaves.. I just put a drop of permanent thread lock on it so I could remove it for maintenance but it won't come out on its own...I also cut a slot into the head of the pin to be able to break the thread lock...

See that little hole... That's the other side where that pin goes in, it can't slide thru, but I can get a punch in there to knock out the pin...big hole is where the knot goes on the lifting line...

This is where the line exits and goes to the upper sheaves...it is offset to line up with the first upper sheave...there are three upper sheaves...

I'll save the official name reveal for commissioning day, but this is the early morning sail that inspired the name of my Pathfinder. It was the third day of the 2016 EC.

Can't wait! Have you picked out your commissioning beverage?
    “It doesn’t matter how slowly you go -- so long as you do not stop.”
    -Confucius

Champagne or Sweetwater IPA, hmmm.

She is eagerly waiting...

More CB details...

Where's the streaming video? This deserves a cable channel!

Amazing work Deke. You've done a great job of incorporating your building and sailing experience into this boat. Looking forward to the launch photos.

Kenny

I agree. Lots of great tips and tricks in here! And some darned fine craftsmanship. Good luck today!

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Good luck! Please share a post launch eval of how she handles. What an amazing job.

She is christened!

All went well, she showed no signs of fear, took to the sea like a beagle on the trail.

Sea trials remainder of day. The weather forecast is for light winds, scattered storms and it's crazy hot.

Her name is First Light, and we gave her the honors of an early commisioning...

The beagle is ready!

Not to worry, Neptune got his share...

A quick run to get some breakfast down the creek, practiced a little sculling and raised the mizzen to steer with the current....

All right, I'm going sailing!
    Last edited by deke; 09-24-2016 at 10:07 AM.

Stunning boat. You have the best boat to go sailing in. Congratulations.

Maiden voyage delayed for thunderstorm. Standing by.

Stunning Deke, thanks so much for choosing one of my boats. A build like that is a seriously good compliment to the designer.

All the best for the adventures to come.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

I live in the middle of that green blob, waiting patiently to go sailing. At least its not red anymore.

Maiden voyage compete!

First I would like to thank John Welsford. You sir are a great boat designer. I couldn't be happier with my choice of boat to build. She is easy to build, tough, fast, shallow, pretty, classic, and I could go on. Perfect boat for cruising the Keys and more. So thank you for this great design. If you can make the call, please do, I would love to chat.... 850-723-nine eight one one!

Geoff Kerr, your build series on Offcenterharbor is all one needs. Thank you. I honestly could not have built a boat this nice without watching your videos about 100 times. Also the mast and spars are top notch.

Offcenterharbor, awesome job, thank you.

The fine folks who frequent this forum and their great advice, thank you.

Mike, for your terrific thread and your help and inspiration, thank you.

Gardens, great bouncing ideas back and forth, thank you.

Log of Spartina, awesome, thank you for a great site.

Nathaniel Wilson Sailmakers...fine product, easy to,work with!

Reed Hayden for the name plate, awesome job!

My mom for all her help, and my daughter, Emma, she did great today. My other daughter Jess, all of her encouragement.

Dad for his help and old school advice.

This build has been challenging, fun, and very rewarding, but I'm ready to put the cheap tools away and do some sailing!

So the storm blew itself out and I decided to go for it. My sculling needs practice, so I decided to contact the local authorities (mom and dad) for a tow out the canal and channel....as you can see almost glassy conditions, perfect for raising big canvas for first time...I thinks I'm about 15sqft over canvas, but we will see...

After raising some canvas, I started to get to known First Light a little better, she is well balanced, very slight weather helm on all points of sail. I have a lot to learn with the mizzen, snot tension, sheet angle made big differences. Lazy jacks close to a must for this boat, the sail cannot sit well on the forward deck for raising prep, glad I took the time to get them right. But I did for get to take tension off for a few minutes...

Happy with 2:1 mainsheet control, not problems...the setup worked great....

Perfect conditions for first sail

Respectable for the conditions... I have 6 MSR 10 liter dromadory bags below for ballast, that's about 150#s, winds are about 5-8 from the east....

Unfortunately another storm whipped up after about half hour and I decided not to ruin a perfect day, successful launch , great first sail, so return I did, great first sail!

Last edited by deke; 09-25-2016 at 04:22 PM.

My canal neighbors don't know what to think...

Making the mizzen boom retractable is nice...

This will need fixing, the mizzen sheet get wrapped around the end of the boom sometimes when slack...

Lazys us are nice to have for single handing big lug sail...

My my biggest concern today was leakage around the CB pin..not a drop, very please with my design...I have two rubber washers on each side with some lithium grease, solid...I need to mark my CB line so I know it's exact position....

Running the canal downwind...

This mainsheet control system worked great...

Beautiful, best of luck!
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.

Love it! Congratulations.
    -Confucius

Any thoughts on the Lug sail?
    I want to build a Pathfinder, albeit, it will be a few years till the kids are older.
    I'm thinking of the balanced Lug, partly for reducing time to get from the trailer to the water....

Interested in hearing your thoughts.

Dave

I favor the rig for its simplicity. I will give more sail reports once I get used to using the mizzen. So far is it seem to point within 60 degs and I'm content with that. I'm sure someone with more experience could do a bit better. The lug sail is really happy on a reach and flys downwind. Great rig for single handing.

A halyard, downhaul, and a sheet. No shrouds or stays. Sail lowers down as you reef, so less windage aloft.

With regards to the Pathfinder, a slot is helpful when standing the mast up, cutting the slot into frame two so it has a open face would make it even easier, I just couldn't bring myself to do that. I've tried to make area where the mast goes thru the deck as strong as possible.

Takes all of five minutes to rig if launching at a ramp, maybe 15 with the with lazy jacks. The lazys complicate the rig, but so far seems to be a good option for the pathfinder since it is decked over.

My quick thoughts.

You are going to have lots of fun with your boat, well done! Regarding the slot, I couldn't find a good picture but this gives an idea of what I did to solve the same problem. The mast is too big to lift up and over into the hole especially in a breeze, and I am a big strong guy. You could put some kind of gate on but I never bothered and it worked really well.

whatever rocks your boat

Beautiful. Congratulations!

[IMG]dekes boat by Michael Owen, on Flickr[/IMG]

Love this one!

"near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

very cool.
    looking forward to more pics, and some vids. (hint hint)

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by deke View Post
    I favor the rig for its simplicity. I will give more sail reports once I get used to using the mizzen. So far is it seem to point within 60 degs and I'm content with that. I'm sure someone with more experience could do a bit better. The lug sail is really happy on a reach and flys downwind. Great rig for single handing.

A halyard, downhaul, and a sheet. No shrouds or stays. Sail lowers down as you reef, so less windage aloft.

With regards to the Pathfinder, a slot is helpful when standing the mast up, cutting the slot into frame two so it has a open face would make it even easier, I just couldn't bring myself to do that. I've tried to make area where the mast goes thru the deck as strong as possible.

Takes all of five minutes to rig if launching at a ramp, maybe 15 with the with lazy jacks. The lazys complicate the rig, but so far seems to be a good option for the pathfinder since it is decked over.

My quick thoughts.

This vet is spending the weekend doing some sailing in the backcountry. Had to start another project and it has kept me off the water last few weeks, but just about have my part wrapped up.

Yes that scaffolding is stout, framing is like kindergarten after building a boat...going to be taking out that wall and extending the house out. I've got to hand some ply and windows, get it dried in, then finish the interior. Wife is happy...

Ready for this weekend, forecast is for calm winds, lows in the 60s, hi in the 80s...view out my new window...

My CB system has been working great...plenty of leverage with the 5:1, I marked the line for a up, middle and down positions...

She is fully loaded here, a weeks supply of gear, food, 7 MSR dromadory bags of water, and the ships head...most gear stows nicely below, I can't fill up all the room, water ballast is stored around CB...the rails are great for storing loose items...

Front cleat is for the lazys, I'm finding the lazys very helpful with this big lug sail, especially since there is a forward deck and no where for the sail to go when you drop it...side cleat is the halyard and also using it for the downhaul until I make up my mind where to put that cleat....

Last edited by deke; 11-11-2016 at 06:54 AM.

Happy with my new Pathfinder! She is light on the helm, very slight weather helm on all points of sail. Her motion is very smooth. She points about 65 degrees off the wind, but I'm still learning the mizzen. She is not tender, very stable. I can let the helm go, stroll up to the mast make any adjustments or grab a beer, very friendly ship. Anyone who chooses this boat I think will be happy, she does exactly what she was designed to do.

Time to shake out my reef...20 mins before this pic water was just starting to white cap, and for me slight white = lets reef, so I left the dock double reefed, of course that all changed as soon as I got out of the canal. She sails great up to 10 knots with full sail, but around 10knots it's too much sail...

Thats better, shook out the reef and she came alive....

Here's what she looks like fully reefed, I just came fro the bay where there was a 20 know NW wind, thru Snake creek and now I'm ocean side on the Lee. She handle the 2-3 steep chop, close hauled in the bay well...

Happy Beagle!

Did you get Bart Simpson to crew?? Sure looks like his shadow!

I haven't had mine out as much as I'd hoped. With Houston's summer finally ending in late October, I've had several days scheduled to go w/ friends but they keep bailing on me. Then I lifted the boat up and stripped all the hardware off the trailer to get it galvanized. My father-in-law helped me remove the axle at the galvanizing yard. They called a couple days later to say that some of the metal was too thin and was getting damaged during the sandblasting process and recommended against proceeding, so we went and reassembled and drove it home. So this weekend I plan to get some Rustoleum primer and at least one coat of paint on it. It's still plenty robust for this light boat. I figure the trailer will last me 2 or 3 seasons, which is OK since I bought it for $100 on Craigslist. With the welding repairs, I think I have maybe $400 invested. I usually sail a fresh water lake, so I'll need to be extra diligent about rinsing after any salt water launchings.

Quote Originally Posted by deke View Post
    -Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G. View Post
    You are going to have lots of fun with your boat, well done! Regarding the slot, I couldn't find a good picture but this gives an idea of what I did to solve the same problem. The mast is too big to lift up and over into the hole especially in a breeze, and I am a big strong guy. You could put some kind of gate on but I never bothered and it worked really well.

You should try the cabin version, a slot is not an option - and I am a small skinny guy!
    All I can say is, I'm glad I went with the alloy tube mast. Not as aesthetic, but substantially lighter.
    Nice build Deke, she's a real credit to you - not sure how I missed the launching though!

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Ha! It took me a minute to understand what Moman was talking about in post 345. Ay Carumba!

By the way, thanks for posting your pastry-bag method for fillets. I was stuck in fillet hell on the interior until I tried it (I used zip-lock bags) and it was at least 3x faster and cleaner.

Kenny

Great pix! Rigging details are always appreciated.

The photo of the happy beagle shows how roomy this boat is. Amazing!

Mike

Deke:
    Could you give a few more details on your design for lifting the CB? I use a simple 5-1 pulley system which is mounted on top of the case on my Pathfinder, would like to see more of your design.

Deke, another question I have is about your water bags in the bilge, do you have a technique for draining them when needed without filling the bilge with water? I like the idea of using them for ballast but can't quite see how to drain and remove them when needed.