Page 1 of 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Pathfinder Build In FL Keys

Default Pathfinder Build In FL Keys

Received plans couple days ago, I've been studying them non stop and I think I've read through just about every blog and post here. Many thanks to guys that took time to document their builds, it's has been very helpful so far.

This will be my third boat build, so,I have some experience but definitely not a pro.

Ill try to keep a good log of any mistakes I find or confusing areas for future builders. I think the plans have gone through a few revisions so hopefully most have been corrected.

My my first challenge will be to locate some quality ply. I'll have to either order some or pick some up in Miami.

I was was leaning towards using Hydrotek for toughness/rot resistance/$$, but after researching there seems to be several cases of delamination. I'm going to price some Sapele and see if I can go that route.

Any my thoughts on the quality of Hydrotek?

Default Re: Pathfinder Build In FL Keys

From what I understand, the Scamp Camps are steering away from HydroTek due to delamination issues. Not sure I would use something different or not if I were to start over. The other options get pricier.
    “It doesn’t matter how slowly you go -- so long as you do not stop.”
    -Confucius

Yesterday I drove up to Worldpanel in West Palm Beach and got my ply. They have a sweet collection of teak and marine ply. They swore by their meranti ply, he gave me his word it and promised to stand by it. It's called Hydrocore, not tek. It has a Drangon BS 1088 stamp. He has had zero delam issues with it over a course of a few years. I also grabbed a sheet of Sapele for the transom and enough for the top strake, these will be finished bright. The guys at Worldpanel treated be right, they gave me a 20% discount for making the drive to their warehouse and they sold me a huge pile of scrap teak for cheap.

Today i I put pencil to ply and cut the stem piece. The plotting of points was very easy, my marks were very precise, but I still had to average out the points that make the curve.

Some confusion on the exact location of B1, it's pretty clear on the stem detail that it is at 800mm, but by my math, this does not match the location shown on the floor and jig detail, assuming the floor butts all the way into the notch cut out in the stem. It was close enough for me to shrug it off and press.

Two other questions I have is are the frame locations on the jig to the front or back of the frame? Also when you mark the frame locations on the floor, do you measure these with the floor laying flat or with it sitting on the jig with its curve in it?

My goal for tomorrow is to finish the stem doublers and get F1 and F2 cutout. Trying to figure out how to post pics, says I have exceeded 16 g size limit, but I've got the quality dialed pretty low.

Happy to finally get started!!

Tom

Build start date: 18 Feb 15, Finish Goal: December 15
    Time today: 8hrs
    Total time: 8hrs

Test

coming through five-by-five, over.
    The premise is WRONG, Bob!

To get pix to show properly, you will need to first upload them to a hosting site. I use Flickr which is free up to a certain amount. Or pay something like $20 per year for unlimited. After you upload to your site, you need to copy the URL. To paste the URL to your thread, click on the square box icon (it is a projector screen with a tree) and paste it. Choose "From URL" and (this trips everyone up) don't forget to unclick the box "Retreive remote file ... "

--Mike
    -Confucius

Finally! Getting to the URL was the prob, I had to click the down arrow on the bottom rt, then click the download original size, then copy the address window.

So nothing exciting here. Just my lumber stack and I wanted to show the stamp on the ply I am using. After two days, I have the stem and frame one cut out and frame two marked out ready to cut. The meranti is splintering with the circular saw, think I'll switch to using the router and see if I get a cleaner cut. I am making all frames as a single piece and then adding doublers.

Will be using cypress for stringers, just ordered 8 2x12 14's select grade.

This will be a motor less build. I am am trying to determine if I will use the lug yawl rig or the gaff yawl. I wonder if they will point them same or if I will get a few more degrees to windward from the gaff set up. Pointing is important when trying to tack a channel. On the other hand there are lots of bridges in the keys, I really like the simplicity of the lug yawl on my Northeaster Dory. But I also like the jib and jigger capability.

I may try to incorporate the slot in the king plank for ease of stepping the mast.

Any thoughts on pointing capabilties between the two rigs?

Total Build Time: 16hrs
    Tom

Last edited by deke; 03-09-2015 at 09:19 AM.

Making progress...to date I have frames 1-4 and the stem cut and frame 5 is drawn and ready to be cut.

I made a simple jig to line up my circular saw for cutting the straight lines on the frames, it is working great, saving lots of time. Im getting my cuts to within 1/32 on the outside of my marked line relatively easily using this method. Using a long piece of ply makes it easy to clamp where needed. On average it is taking me 3hrs to draw a frame and cut it. Lots of time quadruple checking my marks and numbers, I've managed to catch a couple of goofs before cutting. I'm making all frames as one solid piece and will add extra side doublers with remaing scrap ply after all frames are cut. I'm getting two frames per piece of ply. The Hydrocore is looking great, no issues yet. Transom will be a piece of Sapele.

TBT: 38 hours
    Misktakes found to date: There are some discrepancies between the stem detail frame locations and the floor detail frame locations, more to follow once I figure it out

Tools im using to mark frames...
    Last edited by deke; 03-09-2015 at 09:33 AM.
    "There are many sailors at the bottom of the sea that are smarter than you or I"

Progress to date:

note, F1 is not notched yet and none of the doublers or floor supports have been added.

TBT: 38Hrs
    Last edited by deke; 03-09-2015 at 09:35 AM.
    "There are many sailors at the bottom of the sea that are smarter than you or I"

Looks like you'll be surpassing my build progress in a couple of days!
    -Confucius

Some building progress today, I cut F5 and F6 and got some 2x for the building jig. Ill probably make that and F6a/ transom manna. Took a little break and put the Dory in, took my daughters pup for a sail.

MoMan, did you notice the F2 location at 1744 (circled) on the stem detail, it does not match the floor detail. The pencil tip shows F2 in line with the 120 grid mark? I am wondering which is correct the stem or floor detail?
    Should I just stick with the frame locations on the floor detail?

TBT: 43 hrs

Last edited by deke; 03-09-2015 at 09:38 AM.

All frames and transom are cut, but need to add doublers, strong back erected. Up next make the floor and add doublers to each frame. Placement is rough and frame 6 isn't there. Little scary cutting the 12mm Sapele piece for the transom.

TBT: 50 hrs

Sapele...yikes!

Last edited by deke; 03-09-2015 at 09:44 AM.

Wow! Fast progress. And that's a lovely dory in the background.

Mike

TBT: 57 hrs

Scarfed the bottom panel together today, fingers crossed. I made an attempt at making a jig for my router, after a few trial runs I made too many mistakes, so I figured I could spend the day perfecting my router jig or just go old school and use my angle grinder and get-her done. I roughed in a 6:1 scarf with my angle grinder and then finished it off with my orbital. Any router tips for scarfing are welcome, I just bought my first router and have only used it a couple of times, lots to learn with the router.

Last edited by deke; 03-02-2015 at 07:09 PM.

TBT: 63 Hrs

The bottom panel scarf came out nice. Worked on F1 hatch design and marked out the bottom panel for cutting. For the bottom panel, I snapped a centerline and while I had a square edge to work with, I marked the frame locations. For my own piece of mind, I placed each frame flat on the floor at its correct location and marked the bottom chine cutout on each side. Next I plotted the floor widths from the grid pattern. It all seemed to line up, when I draw the fair line, I will use my chine cutout marks as my primary marks. Having a square line at each frame location will help keep the frames square when they get permanently glued/screwed.

For F1, I decided to make the hatch lip and doubler as one piece. I made the hatch bigger to have better access. Having nearly the entire frame doubled should be plenty strong.

More pics manna.

F1 all glued up...

Forward facing side of F1, note the hatch lip acts as my doubler, I stopped the doubler at the floor height, I will use my flush trim bit on the router to finish....

Before I cut the floor to shape, I marked the frames square to the ply edge and marked my chine cut out, then I compared to the floor detail widths...note the batten isn't in position yet...

Last edited by deke; 03-04-2015 at 08:03 PM.

TBT: 69 hrs

Managed to get the bottom panel cut to shape and faired, also glue the top doublers to F2. I'm planning to cut a slot into the top of this frame for making raising the mast easier, lots of bridges around here! So I'm making this frame extra stout, the top is a total of 36mm.

Cool dog.

TBT: 73 hrs

Not much time for the boat today, I did manage to glue up the stem doublers and I cut the CB box. I'm trying to figure out the best way to rig the pulley system for the center board, I would like to keep most of the lines and blocks on top of the box hidden with a line and cleat on the aft side in the cockpit. Any ideas would be very helpful. Something kinda like this quick sketch...any reason this would not work or is a bad idea? The line would actually stay inside the box, I drew it outside to show it going around the blocks. I would like to keep the box closed so water doesn't splash up inside the boat.

Good looking craftsmanship
    Don't worry I'm happy

"The law is what we have to live with.
    Justice is sometimes harder to achieve."

Sherlock Holmes

Great progress on a wonderful design!
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

TBT 80 hrs

Cut the slot for the centerboard and set the floor stations and heights. to cut the cb slot, I marked the forward and aft end of the cb, then I set cb box on the floor. Once I was happy it was centered and in the right spot, I layed some long pieces of ply along the sides of the box and screwed them in place. Then I removed the cb box, turned the floor over, and used a flush trim router bit the cut the slot. Came out nice, loving the flush trim bit. Off the build for a few days while I work my real job. When I get back, I plan to glass the floor.

Was happy that the curve cut into the stem matched the floor curve, it will only need minor fitting. Also, I took a close up of the notch cut out in the stem, there is a dicrepancy in the plans (see early post). I decided to make the notch at 110 and put F1 there, will report on how this works out once the rest is assembled.

Note: below, this frame is doubled up up to the point where it meets the stem, this double is also the lip for the hatch. IMHO the designed floor for the anchor well is to high, I want the anchor well lower. My floor for the anchor well will be just below the hatch. Also need to consider anchor well drain at this point, I may have put the hatch too low for it to drain directly overboard.

Note: I have not cut the notch out for the chine stringer on F1 yet...

Last edited by deke; 03-09-2015 at 09:55 AM.

Not sure if it matters to you, but your photos may be very large files. When I open this thread (which I hope to keep doing) it takes a very long time to fully load. Anybody else experiencing this?

Tom:

Nice work. I built a PF 7 years ago and am still sailing her whenever I get a chance. I rigged it as a gaff yawl, however if you are challenged by bridges, a sloop rig might serve you better, with a tabernacle. The mizzen mast would be another thing to deal with when encountering bridges. But then, maybe not so much, it is pretty easy to lift the mizzen mast out.

One thing I did, I scarfed using a power plane. I made a simple jig that gave the necessary angle to the cut, and it worked fine, was simple, and accurate. Also I encapsulated the plywood with epoxy in full sheets, 2 coats, before cutting anything. Then after the pieces were cut out I epoxied the edges, everything was sealed when assembled.

Nothing more, looks like you're off to a great start. I envy your warm climate!

Tom W.

Some of my earlier post the pics are the original size, I need to go back and edit them, I'm posting smaller size pics now. Thanks for the heads up.

Edited some of the pics, please let me know if that helped, if it is still to slow, I can make them small, right now they are medium.

That's way better for me. Hope it's ok for others. I know we like big photos here on the forum!

Really enjoying your progress and your tropical environment!

TBT: 93 hrs

Unnecessary, but I feel better with the floor glassed. Spent most of the day making the logs for the CB box and playing around with it on the floor, thinking through how I will attach it square, Before I put glue on it, is it's not a total disaster. Haven't decided if I will use 5200 or epoxy. Also put a doubler on F5. I used a scrap piece of ply to trace the curve of the floor, it matched the curve I plotted from the plans almost exactly.

Checking the traced curved after cut...

Drawing the curve onto the CB box....

Last edited by deke; 03-14-2015 at 09:28 PM.

Checking for square...

Nice job, keep up the good work.
    Any thoughts yet as to what kind of gasketing you'll use on that hatch? I've found surgical rubber tubing bonded into a shallow groove to work pretty well.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by deke View Post
    TBT: 73 hrs

Not much time for the boat today, I did manage to glue up the stem doublers and I cut the CB box. I'm trying to figure out the best way to rig the pulley system for the center board, I would like to keep most of the lines and blocks on top of the box hidden with a line and cleat on the aft side in the cockpit. Any ideas would be very helpful. Something kinda like this quick sketch...any reason this would not work or is a bad idea? The line would actually stay inside the box, I drew it outside to show it going around the blocks. I would like to keep the box closed so water doesn't splash up inside the boat.

Hi Deke,

If you PM me an email address, I can send you some pics of what I did on my cabin pathfinder - very similar to what you are proposing, but totally enclosed to keep water out of the cabin and put the contol line into the cockpit
    I put a single big pulley sheave in a " bulge" at the front of the case, so the lifting line was entirely enclosed, and I had a 5:1 tackle running under a false top on the case ( I extended the sides up by about 70mm to accomodate this).
    long story short, it worked really well. I had 25kg of lead on the end of the board, and with this setup, lowering was an easy single hand operation, raising was easy single handed 3/4 of the way and possible all the way if need be - and I'm a skinny little guy.

I do have an observation about that large hatch in frame one - i dont think you'll be able to do the anchor well "as designed". If you're aware of that, great. If not, you may want to throw a tape measure over what you have done - I can send you a pic of what I did there too.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

TBT - who cares - she'll be done around Dec

Not much time for the boat today, had to hang some shelves for the commander n chief, but did manage to glass the inside of the box and I glued up the CB. 5 layers of 12mm meranti. Not sure why some say ply is not recommended for the CB, it's easy and I can't think of any advantage using solid wood.

So far I am very impressed with this design and how it layed out for the average man. Well done sir.

Aligment is a no brainer using nails... (Not my idea)

Last edited by deke; 03-14-2015 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deke View Post
    Haven't decided if I will use 5200 or epoxy.
    I'm curious why you would use epoxy for the centerboard case instead of the specified 5200?
    -Confucius

Hey wow, I've seen that boat!

Can't wait to see the finished product.