Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "Get Carl, Matt, Scot, Tom, Maynard, McMullen, et al to the 2017 Hobart WB Festival" Thread

Default The "Get Carl, Matt, Scot, Tom, Maynard, McMullen, et al to the 2017 Hobart WB Festival" Thread

At the behest of Jeff I hereby start the lobbying for such a trek by the WBM crew.

Carl nearly made it (as did I). But alas it was not to be in the end.

I'm hoping that Tom had a brilliant time and he'll have February 2017 firmly marked on his calendar for a return visit with as many of his colleagues in tow. Speaking of which, I think Tom needs to report on his Hobart sojourn...
    Last edited by Duncan Gibbs; 07-10-2015 at 07:24 AM. Reason: autospell thing...
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Default Re: The "Get Carl, Matt, Scot, Tom, Maynard, et al to the 2017 Hobart WB Festival" Th

I attended Tom's lecture on lofting, which despite my ability to see building plans 'in the round' had escaped my understanding. About half way through I had the peculiar sensation of seeing the blown up 1 dimensional drawing on the wall expand into a 3d representation of a boat. A very odd experience.

Lobbying is henceforth in train WB Mag staff.

Default Re: The "Get Carl, Matt, Scot, Tom, Maynard, et al to the 2017 Hobart WB Festival" Th

Lobbying? Lofting?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Call it the lofting lobby George.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Skuthorp, I hope I didn't lose you completely...?

"About half way through I had the peculiar sensation of seeing the blown up 1 dimensional drawing on the wall expand into a 3d representation of a boat. A very odd experience."

Well...I hope that was a good thing!
    Last edited by Tom Jackson; 02-18-2015 at 07:55 AM.

[IMG]www.flickr.com/photos/131422154@N04/16562061041/[/IMG]

Well, I have a photo taken by my wife, Corinne, during the Friday night dinner at RTYC. But I'm having trouble posting it, for some reason. It's on Flickr, but the URL isn't cooperating.

Here's a link:https://www.flickr.com/photos/131422...4/16562061041/

Nice pic Tom and Corrine, thanks. Having Peter there, he has a reputation it seems, made the last festival a bit different for me. I got to talk to far more owners than I had before. And I got to a few of the forums, yours on lofting a boats lines being a revelation as for the first tim the drawing 'expanded' in my minds eye to a 3 dimensional structure.

Here you go Tom!

Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Default Re: The "Get Carl, Matt, Scot, Tom, Maynard, McMullen, et al to the 2017 Hobart WB Fe

"I promise to be meek, retiring, and non-controversial, just like I always am."

We'll bring out the party animal in you!

Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Default Re: The "Get Carl, Matt, Scot, Tom, Maynard, McMullen, et al to the 2017 Hobart WB Fe

It does help to start out a few thousands of miles closer. Only a 9-1/2 hour flight instead of a 17 hour one. I'll take any help I can get.

It was great to meet Tom and Kim there, and such a great surprise to find Neil there too! Let's hope we can get more forumites' boats there this time! I'll be really cross if we can't get Masina to this one.

Rick

I really want to do the Tawe Nunnugah Raid before, either with TMP or (IF I get her finished) Looe. If go Holt and not Anker I may not go the first leg or two via TMP from Recherché Bay, rather cadge a ride aboard a bigger vessel and tow TMP. I've seen pictures of Mirrors taking part in the 2009 Gallery which, inconveniently, has disappeared. I'm not sure if they sailed the whole way, although I do have friends in Franklin who did the whole thing in their Lazy E at least twice.

http://tawe-nunnugah.rforster.org/home
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Pretty sure a Mirror did the whole thing when I went on the first one.

It might be cheaper to fly down and buy a Mirror for the event.

Something to reflect on, anyway.

Rick

Having a small boat on site might be convenient. Last time I thought about it but can you charter a mirror?

Bumpty bump, bump!

Any North Hamericans coming for this?
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Still waiting on a reply from the Boat Trust re the Fazackerly…
    I don't know if it's still there. Add in Gumtree closer to the event might be the best.

I don't think I precisely qualify as a North anything any more, but I would like to make it if I can.

North from here.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Still waiting on a reply from the Boat Trust re the Fazackerly…
    I don't know if it's still there. Add in Gumtree closer to the event might be the best.
    Get Phil to ask his dad to give them the hurry up.

Rick

Maybe Phil's dad could source one for us anyway, a plastic job would do.

Bump,
    Anyone from WB coming? Or Carl and Mrs Carl

And will they be bringing hats?

Rick

I had a wonderful time in 2015, and would love to go again— but it's not in the cards. Have a great time, all.

Tom Jackson

And we enjoyed having you both here and at the Yacht Club dinner. I personally learned a great deal from your lectures. Maybe 2018.

Rick

Bump!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

McMullen has no excuse, he's close by.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Let's be honest, Peter. I've never really had a good excuse for anything. It's all smoke and mirrors. Sound and fury, signifying nothing. But now that I've got the tiger by the tail, there's no sense letting go.

Can't make it to Hobart, though. It's far too chilly at that latitude. I have become a delicate hothouse flower. There's no way I'm risking those frigid midsummer temps in the low 20’s like that. Not even for wooden boats. Which I don't really do so much anymore, anyways. Plenty of 'em here in Thailand, actually. But they're somebody else's problem to keep fixed up. Which I'm discovering I don't regret in the slightest. Being a shipwright was kinda cool, but being an ex-shipwright is turning out to be utterly wonderful.

That's no excuse!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Plus it's usually quite warm there then.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Of course there is the advantage of not having to spend three or four days with an ex-pat grumbling about the weather!

Rick

And the flights. What is it with expats and flying and dinner conversation? You'd think living in foreign places and meeting people from far away they could talk about more than how long they had to wait in customs, or how poor the service was.

At least we don't have to listen to them whingeing about getting sprayed anymore.

Rick

Aw, you guys... I'd love, just love, to be there next month. Too late, I've been trying to organize a Pecha Kucha event with the topic of wooden boat design, after hours. Seating for maybe 250-500, free admission, cash bar. Any ideas where we could do that? -- I no longer have access to free WB hats.