Thread: Lumber in Pacific Northwest, going to New England

Belfast and Marshall Cove, Islesboro, Maine

Default Lumber in Pacific Northwest, going to New England

It's looking increasingly as if I'm going to be hauling a 30' Maine lobsterboat to WA from Maine, and then returning deadhead with a triple axle gooseneck trailer with a 32' bed. I'm mentioning this for two reasons:
    1) I would have room going out for something fairly small, in the 12-18' lightweight boat range. Will be going out on I-90.
    2) Coming back, I'd have room for a boat up to 10' high from keel to highest point, 11' or narrower, 15,000 Lbs or lighter. If the boat is 8'6" or narrower it's a lot cheaper, because no overwidth permits or operating limits.
    3) I'm very interested in putting together a load of lumber coming back. Old growth Douglas Fir, Alaska Yellow Cedar. Sitka seems out of sight expensive for me to want to speculate in it, but I'd haul it for someone else, up to 40' long. Right now the greenback is very high compared to the Loonie, which argues for buying lumber in British Columbia. I'd appreciate knowing what prices people are paying at sawmills for 6/4 or 10/4 AYC or DFir, and any contacts or cogent thoughts that anyone would be willing to share.
    4) If anyone on the upper right hand coast would be interested in getting some lumber, please let me know. If you have never worked with Alaska Yellow Cedar, it's a revelation.
    Thanks, SEO

Default Re: Lumber in Pacific Northwest, going to New England

Quote Originally Posted by seo View Post
    ... and then returning deadhead....
    Join "Uship". You'll find a return load.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

In October I got very nice DF from Bear Creek in WA for 4.22/bd ft. & Port Orford Cedar for 4.50. This was for 8/4 - 8" & 10" widths.

we might have a return load for you. When will you be making the trip?

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

Late March, early April

Figment, have you ever dealt with this company before? It seems like a good idea, but it's all in the details. Thanks, SEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    Join "Uship". You'll find a return load.

It will probably be a bit too early for us I'm afraid. I'll work out timings and then PM you

Uship seems to be the main US online broker, its where I would also suggest looking for a back load

RW

These guys over by Van. used to sell boatbuilding grade YC, probably still do. You should call them.

http://sunburycedar.com/contact-us/

Don't forget that, if buying in Canada, they no longer rebate the GST/HST, etc. For example I plan on buying some Canadian baseboard heat & while I still save by buying in Canada, I have to pay the ~15% in Quebec (other provinces are higher!).

Tempting. Who among us doesn't need more wood? I'd have to think about exactly what I want/need.
    My Goat Island Skiff Project Photos:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/999065...7648295059621/

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Don't forget that, if buying in Canada, they no longer rebate the GST/HST, etc. For example I plan on buying some Canadian baseboard heat & while I still save by buying in Canada, I have to pay the ~15% in Quebec (other provinces are higher!).
    I hear you on that, Garret. Right now I have to find a 20' shipping container, and also want to visit my kids, both of whom are going to college in Montreal. So instead of driving to New Jersey for a container, and then to Montreal for a visit, it seemed to make sense to buy a container in Montreal. Even going the long way around to stay out of the mountains, Montreal is the same distance, and much less frenetic drive. And the exchange rate made it seem good. But then the sales tax makes it a fair amount more expensive. I'll probably do it anyway. Same thing with lumber. From everything I've heard, BC lumber is more likely to be denser old-growth stuff. Boatbuilding stock.

I wish my 20' container wasn't full of stuff & buried in 5+ ft of snow! It'll be for sale come May-June & only 1.5 hrs from Montreal.
    Last edited by Garret; 02-13-2015 at 10:04 PM.

I wouldn't mind a pile of Port Orford Cedar.

PM sent about the Westbound leg.

E

How badly buried? I have a 20,000 Lbs winch on the front of my truck...It can be very...persuasive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I wish my 20' container wasn't full of stuff & buried in 5+ ft of snow! It'll be for sale come May-June & only 1.5 hrs from Montreal.

Quote Originally Posted by seo View Post
    How badly buried? I have a 20,000 Lbs winch on the front of my truck...It can be very...persuasive.
    Well.... First, the driveway isn't plowed & my tractor is 30 miles away. Second there's a truck in the way. Then there's the stuff in the container: lumber, building materials, generator(s), motorcycle, boat parts & other stuff.

The biggest issue s the snow depth + where do I put the stuff - as I could probably move the container to another location & unload it, but there's a bunch of fragile stuff in it.

It is a quandry. I find myself looking at my trove of treasures, and wonder what my son will make of it when he has to decide between throwing it all away, keeping some, or diving into the insanity.

It's not so much a quandary - as it has to get dealt with by this summer - it's the logistics/extra work of doing it before snow's out & the new barn is built at the new place.