Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Colin Firth to play Donald Crowhurst

Default Re: Colin Firth to play Donald Crowhurst

There is a select company with whom I hope to see this.

The film premiered in London today. (Feb.6/18)
    I's already tomorrow there so can anyone file a report?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3319730/releaseinfo
    basil

Exactly 3 years since I started this thread.
    basil

Wow time flies. I check in on this thread once in a while because I'm dying to see this.

basil

basil

Saw it but, sorry, i found it tedious and depressing. The acting is predictably excellent but, for me, the movie has no other redeeming features. I enjoyed the documentary, Deep Water, much more. Admittedly, I've waited a long time to see this movie so perhaps my expectations were just too high.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Saw it but, sorry, i found it tedious and depressing. The acting is predictably excellent but, for me, the movie has no other redeeming features. I enjoyed the documentary, Deep Water, much more. Admittedly, I've waited a long time to see this movie so perhaps my expectations were just too high.

Rick
    I want to see it anyhow. ''Depresive'' as you mention is surely what the movie maker had in mind. He wanted to make feeling the audience the same conditions as Donald Crowhurst was living his last days.
    This can't be a HAPPY movie, it's a man's deep depression where death was his only issue.
    Financial difficulty, cheating the Golden Globe race, lying to the world about his position on sea all theese and maybe much more pushed him to death.

Deep water was different, much different.
    ''The work is teaching you the work'' : Bernard Moitessier.

Single-handed Sailor, 1968-1969 Golden Globe Challenge, 1st around the world sailing race.

Well, I'm not sure that depressing or happy are the only alternatives! Interesting might be another. I probably know, or think I know, too much about the story already to gain much from the movie. People I know who didn't really know the story, basically hated it! But there are critical reviews that are very positive, the acting is terrific. The movie pushes the idea Crowhurst was pushed to go by sponsors - I'm not sure that it was quite like that, but I guess we should assume that the moviemakers did more research than I've done, too. The movie certainly pushes the point that Crowhurst let down his family very, very badly, and I think that's certainly accurate.

People should make their own judgements. I just found it disappointing and pretty boring. Just my view.

Rick

When it came out in the UK it was only in my local cinema for 1 week, I live in a relative sailing vacuum. Anyway finally it has come out on DVD and I have enjoyed it greately. I have read a few books on the race so the ending was known to me but I was still captivated by the last forty minutes. How close it is to the truth we will never really know but it is a good bit of entertainment.

My only complaint is that when he climbs the mast there is a modern hawk, hawk weren’t founded until the 70s

I saw it about three months ago when it came out here..I think it bombed in Portugal, never made it out of city multiplexes into the provinces. Surprisingly considering the general interest in things nautical and hosting tall ships races and the Volvo....
    I went with my niece who couldn't have been less aware or interested in the storyline, and saw it as a night-out movie. The thought of Colin Firth with his kit off helped a bit.
    She thought it was great..exciting sad thought provoking well made and great acting, and was truly moved by the story to want to raid the boaty book shelves while she stayed with us for a couple of weeks.
    Like most of us here I was aware of the story, vaguely remember it at the time, was a bit doubtful particularly after reading some of the posts on this thread going back a couple of years.
    I liked it a lot, for all the same reasons , and found it also chilling and desperate and a truly sorry state of affairs , well rendered on the screen.

Not a great movie but I'd see it again maybe, and sincerely recommend any one going to see it as it was frightening and informative. Don't hesitate. Maybe wait for dvd but the big screen works well on this stuff.
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

I think is says a lot about the public’s perception of sailing, talking for the UK, that it did not do better. It is a great story and a good film, other biopics of more esoteric subjects have done better.

Can’t think of a better small boat film, Master and Commander doesn’t count and I think of The riddle of the sands as a war movie.

Robert Redford’s terrible all is lost took more money - perhaps just because from the US

After reading the last couple of posts it seems that this is likly a "straight to video," flop.
    Thought it may be good with two A list actors.
    Can't find anything about a mainstream release here with Ciniplex Theaters.

Pity really.
    basil

Quote Originally Posted by goodbasil View Post
    After reading the last couple of posts it seems that this is likly a "straight to video," flop.

Thought it may be good with two A list actors.

Can't find anything about a mainstream release here with Ciniplex Theaters.

Pity really.

They pushed it very hard here in the UK Colin and Rachel doing every TV show they could get on but as I say only did a week locally here. Don’t think it had a US release. Got Deep Water arriving today (2006 documentary style film - my mate took his copy to NZ)
    There is also a lower budget film Crowhurst out on video in mid July here

https://tinkboats.wordpress.com
    http://proasail.blogspot.co.uk
    What I get up to
    https://youtu.be/X9NZEyvpb_Y Streaker dinghy
    https://youtu.be/oni-3rJzxqQ Sail Canoe
    https://youtu.be/eW078PPgJak Proa

Saw it last night. It was...decent? I've done a lot of reading on this particular topic so for much if it I was watching a live action version of "The Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst" and while I enjoyed seeing it there was nothing obviously revolutionary or new. The acting was good and nuanced and I belived they were the people portrayed, especially Clare. The sailing scenes were alright and the Teigmouth Electron was VERY well done. I loved not just seeing but being in the sixties in the movie. Would I recommend it to a non sailing friend? Maybe? I'd much rather give them Deep Water if that's my aim. 3/5 from the Montana judge.
    James D. Maxwell
    Missoula, MT
    Western Montana Small Boat Association
    Heron #1