Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finished Reuel Parker's 18 ft Modified Sharpie Skiff

Default Re: Finished Reuel Parker's 18 ft Modified Sharpie Skiff

Question, can find where to place the quote? How do you set the quote option?

Mack, Can't really see the difference in freeboard. Beautiful profile and in balance. You may notice that I did not use the expanded dimensions for the transom from the plans as I felt that with the sheer going flatter at the stern, made the stern deck profile look sleek like some Herreshoff boats. I maintained the angles for the hull at the stern, and as you can see, she sits right on her lines when still or sailing. I raised the bottom paint all around the hull but up more in the bow and more in the stern. It is more aesthetic I feel and looks like a boot stripe. Came out perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Moroney View Post
    Hello Mack, When sailing I noticed my centerboard floating at only about a quarter of the way down. When pushed down it bounced back up. That is why I probably got caught in irons as the bow as slipping. I did not put any weight in it per the plans. I am making a hold down stick so I can hold it there. Maybe all the way down and then half way as well. I noticed in your videos you just push the board down and it stays. Is that correct? It is made of 2x8 douglas fir and layered in 1/4 inch plywood.
    Tempo has about half a sauce pan of tire weights poured into the CB.
    I think it would be worth it to ballast the CB so it sinks.
    =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.

Mark Twain

Kevin: looks really good and glad it went well. Having had both solid and hollow masts, it is really worth it to work the mast down to something closer to sub 30 lbs. One of our engineers knows specifically, but there is a formula that will identify how 1 lb. works as a factor of x by the time it hits the keel--in the example I recall (and I don't remember the variable of the mast length) it was a 1/6 ratio--meaning one pound translated to 6 lbs of leverage. That's big. Mack, in post no. 26 you mention that you moved the mast step forward 3/4", changing the angle of the mast...that suggests you kept the mast partner(s) at the same spot, correct? I am interested to know your process on that.
    Last edited by davebrown; 02-12-2015 at 01:38 AM.
    Re-naming straits as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by davebrown View Post
    ...... Mack, in post no. 26 you mention that you moved the mast step forward 3/4", changing the angle of the mast...that suggests you kept the mast partner(s) at the same spot, correct? I am interested to know your process on that.
    I followed Reuel's "plans" as close as I could. The boat ended up being 10" longer than specified ... something to do with expanding the shear by eye on the lofting board, or so I tell myself.

My measuring skills aren't reliable.

Having only one sail I knew trim was important.

So I made the step adjustable fore and aft. After sailing Tempo for a few weeks and playing with halyard and snotter tension it became oblivious she had no weather helm. The mast step is two parts, a base with a captive Jarra (hard wood) plank with a hole for the mast tit. The Jarra plank was held in place by two big wood screws.

The further fwd the step moves the more the mast rakes aft and the more the boat want's to "go up". 'Just like steering a windsurfer.

That probable doesn't make any sense so here's a picture"

After a surprise downwind run in 25kts I found the screws slightly bent so now the plank is held in place by 4 larger wood screws.

You can't tell from the pic but by removing the screws, the centre plank can move fore and aft.

The horizontal bright wood is an oar.

Kevin, you can can tack with the board up. Maybe fall off a bit to pick up speed and then slowly push the tiller over and sheet in as she comes around. Ease the sail after it's gone through the eye of the wind. It is much easier with some board down.

The more you sail her the less you think of her as tender.

Cheers, Mack
    =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.

Mark Twain

That sounds good. It was funny, I saw a video today of my boat sliding down the trailer at first launch. I was in it. Boy it did seem like the boat was really going side to side and top heavy but the video showed very little movement. All looked normal. There was not much wind when launched plus the snotter was too loose leaving the luff to slow us down on the turn. I do see in your videos you move the tiller very slow to bring her around. I did it fast in the beginning. Great suggestion and will try the tack the way you described. First I will plane the mast and make a hold down stick for the CB. Kevin

Mack: your description made perfect sense, but thank you for the photos.

SHE FLOATS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtGbwZnilPU&google_comment_id=z13zd5nydr3wwhh1d22ivdlydl3pedjc i&google_view_type#gpluscomments

Here is the link to the first boat launch. I reduced the size of the mast from 63lbs to 50 and thinned out the mast all around. I was a bit top heavy. I lowered the center of gravity by about 2 feet. The taper as well did not start until amost 9 feet up an this 20ft mast. I think she will make a big difference. Also nice to see the video as the sail was too loose and a snotter adjusment was needed. She floated on her lines and tracked straight. I could let go of the tiller and she stayed. Hopefully with the new mast and trim, I will get a little weather helm.

Way to go, man! Thanks for sharing it!
    Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Excellent video! Watching yourself sail speeds the learning process and does away with relying on memory, - particularly beneficial in my case.
    I look fwd to seeing how the new mast changes things.

Here’s a suggested procedure to get a flatter sail:

Raise the main till it hits the pulley at the top of the mast. Cleat the halyard firmly with no slack.

Tie a short, thin, line to the foot of the sail, pass it under the downhaul cleat and back through the sail's foot grommet. Go back under the downhaul cleat and though the grommet again. This gives you a couple of purchases so you can pull down/tension the foot until there are vertical wrinkles in the sail next to the mast.

Last thing is tightening the snotter. If you have a one to one purchase, tighten as hard as you can.

After you’ve sailed from the beach, you can slack the downhaul a tiny bit if the wrinkles don’t disappear.

Cheers, Mack
    =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Mark Twain

Thanks Mack, yes the sail did look slack. I will definately take your advice! Kevin

Well got my boat back in the water this weekend after making the following adjustments: took 13 lbs. off of the mast by making it thinner and starting the taper lower nearer the deck, I made a hold down stick for the centerboard because it was floating, made a tiller extension, and other minor adjustments. The biggest difference in sailing was with the modified mast. Much easier to step. Just those 13 lbs. made such a difference. At 15 knots we did not need to be on the rail. She sailed with confidence and very stiff and comfortable and really moved as well. Last time (on its first launch a few weeks ago) it felt tender and also had trouble tacking. When looking back on my launch video I could see that the sail was too loose and she was slipping sideways when trying to tack. After moving the snotter down about a foot to tighten the sail and keep the centerboard from floating, it tacked assuredly every time. A nice bendable mast helped as well in shaping a more effecient sail. Very pleased and eager to get out again.

Kevin, delighted to hear your Sharpie is performing to standard.
    You can find small improvements experimenting with the downhaul, snotter and centreboard ....for years to come.

'Would like to hear/see more about how you shrank the mast.

I find that I can reduce the weather helm that happens when beating into a strong wind by bringing up the centreboard a bit. I think because it moves the centre of lateral resistance aft. You might want to make several different length centreboard sticks to experiment.

It's amazing how a primitive boat with no motor or electrical system can keep a grown man busy tinkering forever.

Cheers, Mack
    =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Mark Twain

You are so right about a primitive boat. She sure does not feel like it when you feel her accelerate. Regarding the working of the mast to make it smaller; I had to be real careful since it is now round and there are no reference angles, 4 corners or octagon, to measure off of. I knew that if I took my power plane to it, and walked it down the mast, I would have to go all the way around the mast and do the same to keep it round. My fear was that it would be thinner, perfectly round, but bent like a snake. So here is what I did:

1) Place the mast on two horses (mast is held by a V-slotted piece of wood clamped to the horse so it could be rotated in place).
    2) On one horse, above the mast, I made a upside down wooden L-shaped frame that suspended above the mast and held by a clamp.
    3) On the wooden frame over the mast I clamped a small pointed stick pointing down vertical and suspended over the middle of the mast. Almost touching it. Basically I am making a “needle” that will serve as a marker. The dial is the mast.
    4) Below this “needle” I took blue tape and taped it all around the mast just above the step. On the tape I placed 16 evenly spaced lines with a Sharpie pen (a sixteenagon). I numbered each line.
    5) I set my power planer at 1/32 of an inch cut. I rotated the mast to number 1 on the blue tape and planed all the way down the mast. I then rotated the mast to number 2 and did the same. I kept going around the mast until I got the diameter I wanted. Always starting at number 1 and always going to number 16. Rotate the mast after each run down the mast. It was almost too thick in some places before I started. By doing this way, I was able to keep it round, straight, and still have the same parabolic taper. I just sanded and it was done.
    Hope this helps. Kevin

Yes I saw that too regarding RP's estimate on weight. Must be a missprint because I emailed him and he responded that he did not know.

Well I took Saoirse out for a sail into the Caloosatchee river which leads out to the Gulf of Mexico in SW Florida yesterday. The wind was blowing between 15 and 20 with gusts up to 30 mph. She handles very steady and sure of her self. Very please about that. We did get wet on some close hauled tacks in the choppy river. Not once did we have to get on the rail and just settled for some fast tacks. It was guite fun but also a sure test for the boat as it was only the second time out after a sea trial and many adjustments later. The mast handled beautifuly after triming 13 lbs off of her. The one item that sort of changed the fast paced day out was coming back to the boat ramp. I usually use a different ramp but the strong SW winds were bringing white caps over the the top of them. It was also an incoming tide. So I decided to go to some nice ramps on the river which were protected by a small canal leading about 100 yards out to the river. We launch fine and sailed right out with the wind behind us. Well, coming back was not so easy. We dropped sail at the mouth of the small canal and the wind heading directly down on our bow. I set the oars and began to row against the wind and tide as the outgoing tide had started to drain the water into the river. After going backwards while rowing hard, I had to flag down a power boarter entering the canal to give us a tow. I must admit, when asked, they were not too interested and actually looked away and continued passed us. I think they assumed we could have hailed from miles away and not just 100 yards up the canal to the ramp. They finally did turn around and towed us. Well, that episode told me that I need to get an electric motor or small gas one to handle these situations. Thinking of one of those Torqueedos from Germany made for sailboats. Any other suggestions or thoughts? Never thought I would contemplate a motor for this 18 foot skiff. She is heavy at 850 lbs or so and rowing in these conditions was impossible. I will avoid that ramp unless I work something out.

Sounds like great fun! Were you reefed? 'Much weather helm? I wanted an outboard but never found the place to mount it. Maybe on a bracket, the side like Johnno did. Glad you had a good 2nd trip. Cheers, Mack
    =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Mark Twain

Hello Leaotis, I did not reef as I felt she could handle it and she did. The wind was very gusty (15-30) and while we almost had the rail in a few times on a gust we just let a few inches out of the sheet and she settled down quickly. I did get weather helm when in that situation. It was slight and no fear of turning up. Without letting go of the sheet I think she would turn up before a capsize. Very confident boat. I would not be out there in a true sharpie. With that said, it was a physical experience and it did beat us up a bit in that chop. She does love a broad reach with acceleration you can feel. Often I could let go of the tiller and she would stay straight with the sail balanced. No lee helm which was great. There were no other boats out there, even sail boats which shows how good the design is.

Hello Leaotis, I did not reef as I felt she could handle it and she did. The wind was very gusty (15-30) and while we almost had the rail in a few times on a gust we just let a few inches out of the sheet and she settled down quickly. I did get weather helm when in that situation. It was slight and no fear of turning up. Without letting go of the sheet I think she would turn up before a capsize. Very confident boat. I would not be out there in a true sharpie. With that said, it was a physical experience and it did beat us up a bit in that chop. She does love a broad reach with acceleration you can feel. Often I could let go of the tiller and she would stay straight with the sail balanced. No lee helm which was great. There were no other boats out there, even sail boats which shows how good the design is.
    It's nice to have a boat that doesn't have to be steered every second. Ever thing about getting a waterproof video camera????
    =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Mark Twain

Well I am not so skilled at your prowess in filming and editing. With the jumping around and speed over the chop, I did not even want to get the phone for a photograph. My friend is wonderful at it, had built some boats. Maybe teach him to sail so we can get some footage. Your filming of Tempo really inspired me and allowed me to remove the fear of strong wind on a new build. Thanks

My only complaint about your boat is that the pictures of it are too small. I'd like to see that varnish full screen!

Well I am not so skilled at your prowess in filming and editing. With the jumping around and speed over the chop, I did not even want to get the phone for a photograph.........
    Why thank you Kevin but I don't do any filming while sailing. I start the camera on the beach and don't worry about it till after the sail. 'Have a mount for the stern too.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Mark Twain

Here are some larger photos on Flicker: https://www.flickr.com/photos/98019574@N02/

Very nice. Ever come close to losing it in a chop? Great to have that video.

Very nice. Ever come close to losing it in a chop? Great to have that video.
    Never dunked the camera but maybe one day.
    Funny how stiff the boat gets the closer the rail comes to the water.
    =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Mark Twain

After getting caught in a small tidal flow coming out of a canal, sending me back out the river under useless oar power, I decided to get a motor for my Saoirse, my homebuild 18 ft modified sailing skiff by Reuel Parker. The ram was only about 100 yards away. After waving down a small motor boat, I was able to get a short two to the ramp. Reluctanly on their part I must say. I decided on a Honda 2.3. I bought it brand new but wanted to keep the pretty lines of the boat with a removable motor mount. I bit the bullet and purchased a solid bronze mount from Spartan which worked perfectly. The deck is only 1/4 inch oakume ply so I had to reinforce it since the mount would pull up from the deck and possibly distort its shape. I decided to reinforce it with two layers of 1/4 ply. These would be applied and epoxied glued underneath, stretching from the sheer to the 1x8 center reinforcement piece which is under the center of the deck running from the transom to the first bulkhead. To get the curvature of the deck, I place plastic on top of the deck and laminated the two pieces of 1/4 play on top and weighted it down. The next day I cut it to the correct angle and length and glued it underneath. Very hard to reach. I used boards to hold it in place. Essentially I am making a deck beam 3/4 inch thick by 5 inches wide. Plenty enough to support the motor. The small piece at the transom now has a leather top to protect the paint and possibly keep down the vibration. Below are some pictures. Test run possibly this weekend!

BOY that is a good looking boat. I might have to build one of those, five builds from now. BTW, did you work out the issues with mast weight? Do you feel the boat has a good balanced mast? I got mine down to 25 lbs and was working it more when I read a post by Welsford in which he said he had a similar stick that weighed more than that...I decided to call it quits and leave it alone. It still needs epoxy finish up on some of the seams, which I opened to shave off more weight.
    Last edited by davebrown; 11-16-2015 at 02:53 PM.

Your Flickr account will not let me view it, and I have one also. I would like to see more photos. Did you put a gripe on this boat? How about Tempo, if you are lurking...Leaotis? I am wondering as to whether proper (or at least, properly guesstimated) foils might obviate the requirement of the gripe on my rack-o-eye crab skiff.

Yes I do have a gripe. About 2.5 inches wide and is built into the base of the stem making it one piece. I will look into my Flickr so you can see it. The mast was cut down to just under 50 lbs. I have a story about that first sail with the new mast in this thread. It worked so well and the boat is extremely stiff, no rail sitting, and no reefing at gusts up to 30. She did amazing. So I will leave her that way. She weighs almost 900 lbs if not more and loves a stiff breeze. She does glide along nicely with about 8 knots. No rush which is what it is about. Kevin

As a builder and sailor of Parker's 18 I too can attest as to its remarkable sailing qualities in Peconic Bay LI, NY, an at times a sporting body of water. The Sharpie was developed to meet the commercial demands of inshore fishermen. As such they were not really intended for the Yachtsy minded but rather to earn its keep as a working hull. In its final stages a slight v was introduced in its bottom. It did, does lesson bow pound on the wind but still IMO remains a working boat. A sporting version of a Sharpie would be S&S LIghtning designed to race with all the gadgetry to control sail and mast shape. The working sharpie hull is a very sophisticated hull design derived over the past several hundred years. I believe Parker might be a tad more reliable than Chapelle for building plans. I stuck to Parker's plans and got a truly great sailing craft. To be sure its not a 6 meter which I owned and sailed back in the 60s. With a little common sense and sailing experience the 18' Sharpie can be very comfortably and safely sailed in REASONABLE weather. 30mph gusts are a bit much for such an open craft. White caps forming is a good indication to be thinking of heading towards shelter. Parkers 18 is a simple easily constructed boat very reasonably in material cost if built with a work boat in mind. With mail sheet in hand at all times and some feel of tiller management she is a joy to sail and easily beached. Build her and not be overly concerned with ultimate mast weight of hell weight. The Sharpie is a working hull designed to carry many bushels of clams oysters what have you. For a sailing machine investigate, Star LIghtning or a host of other racing craft. The more you sail this craft the more you will come to appreciate her great sailing qualities, simplicity and ease of maintenance. BTW got my sail From B&B, good price and quality.

Quote Originally Posted by davebrown View Post
    Your Flickr account will not let me view it, and I have one also. I would like to see more photos. Did you put a gripe on this boat? How about Tempo, if you are lurking...Leaotis? I am wondering as to whether proper (or at least, properly guesstimated) foils might obviate the requirement of the gripe on my rack-o-eye crab skiff.
    'talkin' about a Parker Sharpie? yes, I'm listening.

Tempo has a Gripe built per plan. Everybody at the Boat Centre said Tempo would never tack with keel from stem to stern but of course she does.
    I like the directional stability and the ability to sail to weather with very little board down that the long keel offers. Modern sailboats without any keel seem twitchy and require constant attention to the tiller.

Here's Tempo before being prepped for bottom paint a couple of months ago. We painted the topsides too. -You know those little places that don't get properly sanded before top-coating? The top coat bubbles and flakes off.... takes about 10 years. The topsides paint was otherwise fine except for the places I missed sanding.

Here's measuring so I know where to put the waterline after sanding. Looks like the Gripe is about 8cm tall.
    =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Mark Twain

The bottom looks very good after a lot of use. Was any wood showing?: I believe you used Dynel? Here is the picture of the gripe when building was underway.

See if this link works for building photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/98019574@N02/

The bottom looks very good after a lot of use. Was any wood showing?: I believe you used Dynel? ...
    Turns out Dynel is indeed quite abrasion resistant and polishes up nicely. No wood showing except on the front on the centreboard which was glassed with no Dynel.
    We were impressed with the Hempel 2 part sanding primer. It's easy to sand after application but later gets rock hard. Where the topcoat had peeled away, the Hempel primer was intact and only needed a light sanding. I don't use Hempel top coats.

Cheers, Mack
    =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Mark Twain

Hi Kevin.
    so excited to find somebody already built the exact boat I am looking to build. Your boat Saoirse (Wow - well done btw) must be well run in and weathered some miles by now? I want mine as a very basic (but gorgeous) estuary camp boat. Just starting out now. I will be looking at your Flickr photos for reference for sure. Hope you are still out enjoying Saoirse.
    Many thanks in advance - I know you have helped me more than I even realise right now.
    Hope you are well and don’t find this message too much of an intrusion.
    Regards,
    Nick W