Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oughtred Fulmar Build

Default Re: Oughtred Fulmar Build

Okay, back it it.... posting that is. Over the summer I've picked at lots of small projects when my schedule allowed. First I tackled the rest of the trim around the centerboard and the mast partners:

I spent a bit of time thinking through a finishing schedule and decided that I should first oil all the brightwork followed by a couple coats of Deks Olje D2. This allowed me to mask off the brightwork for finishing everything else without the mahogany wicking CPES under the masking tape. Worked like a charm!

An addition to the Never Again List: Waiting to dress all the interior fillets, fill screw holes, and sand the planking till after fitting out the interior. The next boat will be finish ready first thing after flipping the hull, while it's wide open. It wouldn't have taken nearly as long to mask a smooth interior for buildout than working around knees, bulkhead, etc. Lesson learned.

Yes, my boomkin partner does have a hole through it! I laminated the boomkin halves after running a half round bit down each side and pulled alcohol swaps through to create a hollow boomkin only 1/4 larger than the plans show. I'll post pics after I get it shaped.

Mike

And now, for the rest of the story... (thanks Paul Harvey)

After the celebratory pale ale I earned from sanding, I grabbed my trusty respirator and laid on the CPES. I did conduct an accidental CPES penetration test when the foredeck caught some sun and blistered a bit. Sanding it all flat and smooth still gave me an essentially sealed surface but I did recoat for peace of mind. So far, sealing with CPES gives every indication of being a good idea... thanks Thorne and Bob Cleek for championing it.

Here we are today, with the interior smooth and sealed and the first coat of Sheerstrake White applied:

It felt great to apply the first finish paint to the boat. I've got tomorrow and Wednesday do do nothing but work on the boat, before leaving Thursday for NEW ZEALAND!! This is one of those weeks you work the other 50 or so for.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike J; 09-14-2015 at 09:36 PM. Reason: spelling

Very nice I'll watch the progress!

Congratulations
    ''The work is teaching you the work'' : Bernard Moitessier.

Single-handed Sailor, 1968-1969 Golden Globe Challenge, 1st around the world sailing race.

Your boat is coming together nicely and looks great!

Jim
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Okay guys, on to painting! After I spent a few hours masking, scuffing, vacuuming, and wiping everything down I broke out the Kirby's and the Penetrol and got down to it. I seriously considered spraying because I have a very nice conversion HVLP rig, but in the end I just didn't want to do all the masking and overspray protection work. I have plastic sheet that I deploy in the shop when I spray cabinets, but the boat just barely fits inside so there was no room to use my existing setup. Oh well, it was a nice day. Here's after the first coat:

I've got the first coat on the floorboards, they're going to be the same blue/grey/teal color as the rest of the strakes to cut down on the glaring white and hide the cheap pine I used. I'm hoping to get another coat on tomorrow evening and a third if needed over the weekend. It'll be nice to start on rigging and finishing the spars before it starts getting cold.

I've spent quite a bit of time trying to find some trailer options instead of ponying up $1700 for a Trailex. After seeing Yeadon's trailer setup I googled again and came up with an area manufacturer where I can get a 16' galvanized trailer with 800lb rating for just over $800. I figure with the boat, rigging, and treated "walkway" boards it'll wind up around 600lbs, and way cheaper to boot.

Mike

Looks like I just managed to finish up the painting before a cold front moves in and closes the window of opportunity. Here's the interior just before the flip, with the thwart and side benches set in place to show some visiting family how it's going to look:

The, after two coats on the hull:

I love the blue! I made a test board after receiving the match from Kirby and to be honest I thought it was a dud, but now seeing it on a larger surface it looks great. I saw erster's Simmons in Georgetown last weekend and it sure looks like we arrived at the same color for our hulls. I'll attribute his color to skill and mine to luck....

Next up is a UHMW skid shoe and then another flip, followed by spar finishing.

Mike

WOW! Looks great. Looking forwards to you launch.
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.

Fantastic. Great job and a great design.

Beautiful! I just sent you a PM.
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

You've done a beautiful job, nice even planks, you should be proudful

Thanks gentlemen! The credit for the plank lines looking good goes to Ross Lillistone, who's ladder truss patterns made it ridiculously easy to get fair plank shapes. Mike, thank you and pm sent back.

I'm almost done sanding all the spars and then it's on to varnishing them and shaping my rudder blank.

Thanks for the kind words and following my build.

Mike

Hope ya'll had as good a Thanksgiving as I did! I'm still chipping away at the to do list, the latest completed project has been finishing the spars:

This is after Deks D1. Personally the first coat of a clear finish is just as satisfying as the last coat. Here's before and after:

I know the purpleheart tips will turn brown with age but my do they look good now. I've got the rudder shaped and glassed and I'm working on the cheeks now. I'll try to get a few photos up of that, I've been slacking with taking pictures as I go.

Mike

Mike, this is a magnificent build. I am making many mistakes on my Fulmar as I am learning as I go along. Can you please explain to me the "wedge shaped blocks" at the tops of the inner(apron) and outer stems? It says that they are 6" wide at the shear but show only 4" on the drawings. I also have no idea of the vertical dimensions though I am assuming they go through plank #7. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Feiny, and welcome to the forum. Here's a couple pics first to show my approach to that problem:

This was a head scratcher for me also until I started tacking battens onto the molds to check everything for fairness. It was then that I realized the extra apron width was to provide a larger surface for the upper planks to land. So I glued on some blocks, shaped the inboard face to match the inner apron face (top pic), and left the blocks oversize, trimming them back for each plank using the upper batten for my plank template as a guide. That's a mouthful, but in practice it's really clear how to shape everything when you have a plank template in place.

The key to everything working out is on the right edge of Sheet 4 in the plans. It shows the forward face of the apron (inner stem) increasing in width to 3-1/2" at the sheer. I transferred the centerline and the lines for the apron width right onto the apron, trimming back to the line as I cut each plank. Take a look at the top of the apron on page 2, you can see where IO drew in wood grain to show the filler blocks and what they do.

Hopefully that's clear, but I'm happy to try again if my explanation falls short.

How's your build going? I took a bunch of time trying to decide on a rig and the interior arrangement and I'm curious what your planning.

Mike

Ok, Mike. I feel like I have doped this out. It looks like the apron width is extended to 6" on its aft face at the shear. It then tapers back to the width of the apron ~2" around plank 5 and is beveled appropriately to receive the planks. I am cutting it roughly off the boat as I made the mistake of using sepele "mahogany" which is damn hard to work with. I may do it with something else though I have already started. Let me know if my interpretation is correct.
    I agree that planking does get old after yu have done a few. But it took me about 4 planks to learn how to cut the gains and therefore I have some inconsistencies. I'll try to do something for cosmetics, but once you have glued down a plank, there is no undoing it though I would like to start over and make it nicer.
    Steve

Yep Steve that sounds right. Once I started planking it became clear to me that the only line of any importance on the apron is the width of the front face. I shaped the rest with an angle grinder with a sanding wheel and/or a belt sander... wood erasers I call them. Thickened epoxy with half wood flour and half silica handled the rest. I'm with you on the sapele being tough to work with edge tools, but boy it sure varnishes up nice.

I felt the same way about my first few planks; it seemed to take a while to get each fitted and I still had a little edge set and inconsistent gains. The beauty is that by the last few, my confidence was up and I had a better feel for getting the plank edges fair, so the most visible planks look the best to me. What method are you using to get your plank shape?

I'd like to see some pics if you can get them posted.

Mike

No better way to spend the pregame than update my thread! Here's where I am as of this morning:

...and...

The thwart and side benches are just set in place for the photo until a few more coats of Deks 2 are finished. I've got the centerboard in place and just in need of some paint where I drilled it out for a pennant.

Here's a shot of the opening I left in the floorboards to access the drain plug with room to sponge out:

I have to shape the offcuts of the opening to make a hatch, with some toggle arrangement as a hold down. The floorboards are cheap pine I cherry-picked through at the Depot. Clearly painting was the best option.

Here's the boomkin lookin' good. The hole for the tiller I jigsawed a bit undersized and then routed to shape using a plywood template. Not visible but happily finished are all the mounting holes for the rudder hardware, bow and stern chocks, etc. so everything's ready to mount when the Deks 2 is finished.

I've slowly collected all my hardware and line for rigging, which I'm really looking forward to now that I've thought through how I want to rig everything. Hopefully soon I can get to it!

Go Broncos!

Mike

Man! That looks awesome! The colors and the brightwork works so well together.

Yeah, this is a definite contendah for best color scheme. Now cut it out! Your lovely Fulmar is turning my head from the Ilur!

Just kidding, but IO does draw a lovely hull! I'd love to have a chance to sail them side by side. Gues I'd better get buildin'.

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Thanks fellas! I've been away from the boat for a couple months, so stepping the mast and laying the benches in for the glamour shot has got me charged up again. As for the color scheme, I liken it to falling down the stairs and landing on my feet.

Mike

Sooo... Nineteen months later I'm back to update my build thread! Work, blah blah, etc; all good stuff but now back to getting my priorities right.

Submission 1: A Christmas trip to the North Carolina coast to scout out our next home town and what do I see on a marina lot but this:

P1010556.jpg

Turns out that you can just drive up to a dealer, buy a small boat trailer and drive off. Asking to do so at any of the local boat dealers only brings looks of incredulity. Anyway, after a long drive home trying to remember I was pulling a trailer I couldn't see, I built a platform as such:

P1010598.jpg

That's pressure treated lumber from the depot and galvanized bolts. Then we flipped her up onto the trailer for her first short trip; over to a friends house for a couple coats of varnish and some interior painting. We dropped off a dvd along the way and I had what was I hope the first of many conversations with people curious about the boat.

P1010599.jpg

I added the roller you see near the bow and another just at the end of the keel. Those along with about three feet of the keel resting on the walk boards seems like plenty of support. It rode like a champ.

really amazing work, some of you guys are so talented. well done
    A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for.

http://www.seadreamerproject.com
    http://www.youtube.com/c/SixPointsWoodWorks

Mike, that is a beautiful boat, I am currently building a Simmons in St. Louis. I hope it turns out as nice as yours! I would love to see it sometime.
    Simmons Sea Skiff build photos here:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/vxuQDZI0Dz7qjzAx1

Beautiful boat, beautiful workmanship! A question about your trailer set-up; why did you use the "platform" arrangement and what keeps the boat from "tipping over" on the platform.
    Thanks for sharing this wonderful build!
    pvg

Thanks guys for the kind words. It's felt great getting back to the boat work after so long away. Last weekend I hoisted the sails for the first time in the driveway:

P1010609.jpg

I also got the rudder finished and the tiller shaped but I don't have any pics of those yet. Reality then set in that I could actually go sail. It was a nice feeling and helped ease my frustration that we've seen the last decent sailing weather till spring. Here's another shot showing some of my first-draft rigging:

P1010612.jpg

I'll add in some jiffy reefing lines for the clew and just use a stainless hook for the tack.

Figo, I see you've gotten your build off to a great start! The first time through a lot of the techniques seem daunting but turn out to reward asking questions here and good planning. It's an exciting time when a hull first starts to take shape. I will be working out of town for the rest of the year but when spring rolls around I'd be happy to give you the nickel tour. I won't have much time till then but I'm happy to share what knowledge I have.

Pvg, I went with the platform trailer setup for a couple reasons. First, the sail and oar guys say it's the way to go for ease of launching and recovery and keeping dry. Second, the trailer is sprung for I think 600 pound and I wanted some more weight to help smooth the ride. As far as being tippy, the bow eye is fairly far up the stem and the boat at rest wants to stay upright just from that. The idea I stole is to put a small fender between the mud guard and the hull as such:

P1010613.jpg

With just a snugging up of the ratchet strap the whole rig is solid enough to stand anywhere in the boat without any shifting at all. I'll be adding some padding to prevent the strap from chaffing the gunwales and I have to come up with some supports to transport the 19' mast aboard the 17' boat.

Beautiful boat....and I learned a few things in this thread, too, like that lattice technique for figuring out planks.
    CLC Skerry = "Vingilothiel"

Beautiful boat, Mike!

I think you'll find with the roller at the aft end of the trailer platform, you will need to find a launch ramp steep enough to submerge that roller, in order to make it easy to slide the boat on and off.
    Alex

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. We do be afraid of the sea, and we only be drowned now and again" Aran Islands Fisherman

Alan, the lattice method of planking stands out as the best technique I picked up here. It is dead accurate and really fast. In second place would be using a tick stick to pattern curved parts like the fore and aft decks. I work with wood professionally and take much more satisfaction in fast and efficient techniques than doing things traditionally for it's own sake.

I appreciate the heads up Alex. My thinking was to have an additional support point for the keel but I'll ditch the roller if launching is troublesome.

Thanks to you both for the kind words.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike J; 11-13-2017 at 07:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Mike J View Post

I appreciate the heads up Alex. My thinking was to have an additional support point for the keel but I'll ditch the roller if launching is troublesome.

Mike
    The idea for an additional support point aft is good, with that amount of keel rocker, but if the roller doesn't work out, you could always just snug in another fender there, like the sides. Doesn't take long to tie in or remove.
    Alex

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. We do be afraid of the sea, and we only be drowned now and again" Aran Islands Fisherman