Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oughtred Fulmar Build

Default Oughtred Fulmar Build

Now that I've gotten a decent start, here's my build thread for my Fulmar. As required, there will be lots of pics of the good, the bad, and the ugly. The pic above, a pot of chili, and an empty afternoon made for a great day.

The first few forms. I used birch ply as I have gobs of offcuts from cabinet making. I made one side of each form using the full size drawings in the plans, then used a panel bit in a router to make the other side.

Default Re: Oughtred Fulmar Build

I decided to make the transom from solid mahogany as I hadn't yet decided on having a deck or not and I want a bright transom on the interior also. The bit for the edges is a shaker style cabinet door set and I used epoxy for the edge glue.

Big jump ahead. This is after setting the doug fir keelson. What's not shown is I used some leftover cedar strips to check every other plank line for fairness, then removed them to be able to reach underneath to clean up squeeze out.

Fast forward to the middle of January. I picked up 9mm occoume for the planking and 6mm meranti for the small decks fore and aft. Turns out that from St. Louis the closest place to get marine ply was Homestead in Ohio so a road trip to visit family was planned as a cover story.

One of the things I thought might be challenging was planing the scarfs. Turns out to be easier than I thought, I used a power planer to rough it out and finished with a #4 and a block plane. The whole process took a couple hours to make plane all the scarfs for the planking.

...and the glue-up. The old post I used has a slight crown up and along with some scrap ply I was able to use shims to get even pressure. The joints turned out great with a little light planing on the top and a heat gun and scraper to clean up the underside. I'm including photos like this to show my process in case it might be helpful to anyone down the road. For me, the build thread from John How has been invaluable along with bits and pieces from many others so hopefully I can contribute something to the body of knowledge here on the forum.

There's more that I've gotten done that I will post in the next few days when I have time. For now I'd like to extend a huge thank you to everyone who has posted a build thread and who's ideas I have and will continue to borrow.

Mike

I decided to go with the lattice method to get the plank shape after reading about the Phoenix III build in Woodenboat. It worked like a charm, especially after I started using masonite squares instead of small strips. I cut to the line and smoothed the edges with a block plane and then checked the first garboard plank on both sides. Good to go!

We got a sunny day in the low 50's so I jumped on the opportunity to install the garboards. My favorite epoxy for gluing is Raka's 900 resin and their fast hardener for cooler weather. The only hiccup was when I damaged the keelson edge of both planks with the router while cutting the second plank. The end result is I trimmed both garboard planks back and I will fit the keel between them instead of overlapping the planks. I'll be ordering some cold weather hardener which will cure down into the 40's so I can try to keep the planking going through the winter. My plan has been to chip away at the spars and small pieces that I can glue up inside when the weather is cruddy so I'll post some pics in the next few days of what I've gotten done.

Mike

I've always admired this design.

Thanks for bringing us along for the ride on the build.

I'll be watching with interest!
    Alex

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. We do be afraid of the sea, and we only be drowned now and again" Aran Islands Fisherman

Since I have a set of Tammie Norrie plans sitting on my desk, right under the boat shed plans.... I will be watching this with great interest!
    Great work so far!
    Jim

Thanks for keeping this build log. Very informative. Glued clinker seems to be the neatest, most pleasing method of constructing a boat. I am particularly interested in your flavor of trestle or lattice spiling.

Mike J, thanks for sharing your progress. So you like the truss method of spiling? Your construct looks very solid in that it doesn't seem like it'll change shape when you bring that pattern over to your stock to unspile. What are those strips? 1 x 1/2?

How is Schlafly ale? Is that your regional version of Narragansett?

Thanks ya'll! I live right down the road from the Schlafly mothership so I'm partial, but it seems like there's good microbrew everywhere if you look for it. Maybe Narragansett is your regional version of Schlafly?

I don't recall where I got the idea for the masonite squares but it sure wasn't my own. It went ok at first but once I bought a good hot glue gun it went really quickly. The battens are 9mm thick, the same as my planking, so for the next planks I can use the batten as a guide for the rolling bevel on the garboard. As for the width, I think I wound up about 3/4" after a few test battens to see what size worked best. I wanted the widest battens that would bend fairly since thinner poplar strips can be too wavy. Honestly, I can't see any way to improve on the lattice method so far. Hopefully I won't regret saying that!

Mike

Nice! Keep the photos comin'!
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

I hit up one of the Schlafly Brewery the last time I was in St. Louis. I like their Pale Ale and Coffee Stout pretty well. Being a big Ginger Ale and Ginger Beer drinker, I grabbed a six of their Hard Ginger Beer, as well. It didn't take. St. Louis has Schlafly and others, I imagine, KC has Boulevard and others, too, Springfield has Mother's Brewery, Springfield Brewing Company and White River Brewing Company. Two hours east of here is a really good one called Piney River Brewing Company. They make all of their stuff in tall cans so you can take them on the water without issue. Missouri has some pretty decent craft breweries, overall.

Sorry for the thread drift. But I like beer and boats in pretty equal measure.

Trevor

Here's the rest of what I've gotten done by being able to do glue ups in the basement. I decided to jump right in and build the birdsmouth main mast first. I'm building the lug yawl plan, mainly because all I've ever sailed are sloops and I want to branch out. The first step I took after looking at 3,000 posts to glean ideas was to lay out the staves in Sketchup to get the taper right. While doing so I found that offsetting the birdsmouth cut meant removing less wood during rounding. I did some test pieces the standard way and some with the cut shifted over:

It's not drastic, but I think it will give me a more even wall thickness. I see posts occasionally asking about methods for cutting with a table saw and for what it's worth, here's my setup for ripping strips:

You didn't hear it from me, but this rig with a longer piece for a hold down and my full attention is plenty safe provided I never stand in the line of kickback.

Anyway, here's the 20' douglas fir staves. I hear a lot about buying vertical grain stock, but I would like to gently point out to newcomers that a large flat sawn board can frequently be cut to yield vertical grain pieces for a lot less money. These were cut from a 2 x 8 x 22 with a checked end for about 80 bucks.

Oh yeah, for tapering the staves I used Sketchup to find the stave widths for the mast diameters shown on the plans, I think at 44" intervals or so. I marked the first stave with a batten, checked it for fairness, and used it as a template to mark the other seven. I trimmed them freehand on the table saw (don't do that!) and dressed 'em with a block plane.

Here's the glue up. I used my crosshair laser to level the horses, then adjusted the height to account for the taper of the mast. I can easily imagine forgetting this step and regretting it! With that set, I did a dry run to get the feel for it, then traded some Papa Johns for some help from my better half. Again I used Raka 900 resin, which is a little thicker and cuts down on fillers for thickening, and slow hardener for the warm temperature. I used solid 12 gauge wire for clamping although I don't recommend it if you haven't ties miles of rebar. I then checked for straightness with the laser as shown above, turned off the lights and ordered the pizza.

This is the glue up for the mizzen. Nearest the laser you can see the purpleheart I laminated at the peak. I tell myself it's so the bee hole for the halyard will have a harder wear surface, but deep down I just want a little eye candy.

... and here's where I am with the spars as of today. That's the mizzen and the lug yard, along with the mizzen boom blank that still has to be rounded. The overall lesson from my first time through shaping spars is that perfection is the enemy of still pretty nice, for example I can feel a little bit of oval shape to my mizzen, but varnished up it's gonna look great. I could double my time in it trying to get it perfectly round, which to me defeats the point of handmaking a boat.
    Last edited by Mike J; 01-27-2015 at 08:33 PM. Reason: spelling

This last thing I've gotten done is to shape the centerboard:

I've got it looking like a foil although I did it by eye. Funny story though; I had laminated the blank from doug fir and some left over jatoba back in September. So right before Christmas I decided to do the shaping and had drawn some pencil lines for reference when my girlfriend asked what the hole was for. It was then that I realized I was about to shape it backwards!

So after all this show and tell, here's the first of what will be many question: Just how heavy should the centerboard be? My plan so far is to add 5-10 pounds of lead, just enough to achieve negative buoyancy. I would like to not have to use a down haul, just an up haul. It seems like it would be possible, but I may be peeling an empty banana so to speak.

Mike

Your off to a great start Mike! If you haven't already seen it, here is a link to my fulmar build. I modified it to be larger by 10% and it was quite that pain in the head, but now it's done so the pain has subsided. All the best with your build.
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ughtred-Fulmar

Here's a few planking shots. I have been chipping away any chance I've had to get a plank or two on and as of last night I had 17 of 18 done.

I've gotten to where I can template, cut the plank, fair with a block plane, and cut both half-gains before I dry fit the plank. Again, the ladder truss templates are giving me perfect plank shapes and I wholeheartedly recommend it.

I should have removed the long diagonals once the planking started to make it easier to crawl under for cleaning up squeeze out.

That's Lucas. He's waiting for the boat rides to start.

Butt shot! I left the transom over sized to trim when it's right side up.

Here I am eyeballing the battens before hot gluing the masonite squares on to build the truss.

I'm posting a bunch of planking pics because I want to show the process at different stages. I have to admit that after the first few planks it can become a bit of a grind and it pays to take a nearsighted look only at the task at hand. Cutting the rolling bevels for some reason became my least favorite task even though it's a straightforward and quick job. Go figure.

Whiskey plank!!

Now on to screw holes, scarf fairing, keel and stem fitting. I bartered with my hardwood supplier for a nice chunk of 8/4 mahogany for the stem that I plan on finishing bright.

Great job your doing on the boat and the thread.
    I had not seen the offset bird's mouth before, so you have succeeded in schooling at least this one person on a new boat building method!

Looking great. Should be a wonderful roomy boat with that nice big transom! Sir Mix-a-lot would be proud.

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Thanks guys! Mike, I've been following your drawing thread for a while and (I - can - not -lie!) you have a real gift. Thanks for sharing it with us! The whilly boat is beautiful also, are you aiming to launch this summer?

Timo, I just went back and looked through your dory thread, great work! It seems like quite a few of us are moving through our winter projects at about the same pace. I've got my order in with Hamilton Marine for CPES and we just picked up some color samples to send to Kirby's for color matching. Great idea using a battery charger to heat the tie wires for removal. I have a set of Tom Lathrop's Bluejacket 271 plans which will be a whole batch of stitches when the time comes.

Today I rough cut the slot for the centerboard and I was thinking about using a gasket so it was timely that I saw your thread about them. I'm going to go with the mylar from APS even if it provides only a psychological advantage.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike J; 03-15-2015 at 10:01 PM. Reason: spelling

It's looking excellent. I'm beginning to think that glued lap is quickly becoming the preferred building method here on the Forum. Having built a bunch of them, I've become well aware of their strong points. But, I will agree with you that the planking does get a little tedious.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Back at it! A bunch has gotten done now that the evenings are getting longer and the temperature is less trying. I'll pick up where I left off:

It sure looks sloppy but here's the stem blank. There are four #10 bronze screws in there for strength. The best part of shaping this was using my new Grizzly 19" bandsaw instead of my old beater.

...and here it is installed. Obviously I should have taken a better photo to show the details but this is the best I have. The forward face is flat and flares from 1" to about 1-1/2" with a rolling bevel on each side leading to shoulders square to the keel. I wound up doing most of the shaping with a big belt sander, working to layout lines, and just a little fairing with a block plane.

The keel is douglas fir laminated from thin pieces I had laying around. I left the centerboard case slot about 3/8" narrow and I plan on routing it with a template to the final size once I get the case built. Overall this step was quick and easy and very satisfying for the amount of effort expended.

On to fillets and fairing. First I laid down the plank fillets of epoxy and fumed silica using a baggie with the tip cut off and a radiused stir stick. Then on to epoxy with micro balloons to fair the scarfs, screw holes, and a few dings in the planking:

It looks terrible but cleans up nicely with a heat gun and a scraper followed by sanding with 80 grit. I have to give Festool a plug; I have the rotex 150 and the linear sander that I used on the fillets and they can't be beat, although if I didn't use them professionally the price would be hard to swallow. I have about 3 hours in each side of cleanup and sanding to 180 to get to this:

I have a little more sanding on the keel fillets and the I'll prime with CPES. I'm thinking a blue/grey hull with a white sheer strake and the stem and transom finished bright.

Mike

...and here's after the CPES went on. It took about an hour and a half just using a brush and applying coats until it stopped being absorbed into the planks. Overall the process was easy and painless.

It really made the hull a nice color.

FLIPPED!!!

I decided to go ahead with flipping the boat when I realized the paint was still a couple weeks from arriving and I have the weekend free for fitting floors and gunwales. After a quick roundup of the neighbors, it took all of five minutes and it was done. The most satisfying part was the first walk around looking at the plank lines and the beautiful sheer Iain drew in 3-D. The second thought I had, as well as the first comments, were that this boat is huge! I can easily see four aboard with room to stretch out for daysailing and lots of room for two for overnight camp cruising. Tomorrow I'll beef up the supports for the keel and check for twist with a cross-hair laser.

I know I have a long way to go, but THAT was satisfying!

Mike

It is a wonderful moment when, on an upside down build, you flip the boat for the first time! Great work. Watching with interest.
    Re-naming straits as necessary.

It really does look great... it is a proud moment when she is flipped over.
    Congrats on the milestone.

Looking great, you must have a good sense of satisfaction seeing her right-side-up! IO designs beautiful boats.
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.

Awesome! Will she have built-in floatation?

Congratulations!

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Thanks guys! I'm really glad I decided to go ahead and flip before painting, I was able to get the first of three strips that make up the gunwale today:

I'm really looking forward to fitting out the interior now that I can see how everything is going to fit. Iain's plans show both an open boat and a decked configuration for the gaff sloop rig. Since I'm going with the lug yawl, I'll be keeping the aft deck as drawn and shortening the fore deck to just past the mast step so I can keep the flotation and storage benefits without having to wrestle to step the main mast. Once I get the centerboard case in and the aft deck framed I'll mock up the thwarts and side benches to get everything fine tuned. After all the planking it's nice to be able to work on a few different things at the same time.

Thanks again for the support and interest and for following my build!

Mike

Alrighty then, on with the interior! Given that I'll be using the balanced lug yawl sail plan, and small fore and aft decks are a must for flotation and storage, it sure looks like the Sail and Oar guys have this interior thing dialed in. Here's where I am with the fore deck:

The framed opening in the middle is for the standard Oughtred mast partner arrangement, most recently demonstrated by Yeadon with his build.

...and here's the aft deck beams. The clamps and boards on the sides are holding the beams in plane, and the stringer in the middle is support for the boomkin chock. I'm going to run the mizzen sheet through the boomkin a la John Hatrmann; what a fine idea that is. The plans call for the mizzen to be 11" off center, so between that and the low deck height there should be no interference anywhere with the tiller. Here's a better shot of the mizzen step:

The copper pipe runs under the bunkhead and the aft floor to the bilge and has quite a bit of fall when the hull is level. I did promise to show the good, the bad, and the ugly, so there's the ugly: fillets under the deck. I plan to seal everything under the decks with epoxy and then paint everything white. Overall, a good hookie day workin' on the boat!

Mike

Moving right along with the interior. Here's the aft compartment primed with CPES and ready for paint. I borrowed the three point lifting sling arrangement from the Rowan thread and installed backing blocks behind the bulkheads for lifting eyes.

I went ahead and glassed both the inside and outside of the box around the mast step for strength and abrasion resistance when stepping the mast. The little triangle on the deck beam is some meat for the downhaul pad eye screws. I made sure that I can reach the underside of the blocking so I can through bolt the pad eye instead of using wood screws.

Here I'm using a tick stick to get the deck shape. I have to say one of the biggest time savers so far has been a sheet of 1/8" masonite cut into a variety of shapes and a hot glue gun. I have since cut out the deck panels, masked the faying surfaces, and primed the rest. I will be using two layers of 4mm meranti since one layer is too flimsy and I don't have any 6mm.

...and now for a huge jump forward. First I glued down the decks, fore:

and aft:

I laminated both decks with two layers of 4mm meranti ply as I didn't have any 6mm. They both turned out extremely solid.

I decided to laminate that side benches and build in the curve since I had a lot of narrower mahogany stock and plenty of epoxy. Here's one of the benches glued up:

A few hours with the thickness planer and sanders got me to this:

I've decided to use Deks Olje 1 for an oil finish on most of the brightwork on the interior, covered with Deks 2 on the spars and probably the gunwales. Again the reasoning is I haven't used Deks before and IO recommends it in his plans so I can expand my knowledge base. Here's one of the benches after oiling:

...and here they are in the boat:

Here's the last few things to bring the thread up to date. I've got the gunwales installed but still in need of a final shaping and tapering aft as well as a final fairing of the top of the transom. I'm thinking of putting a small rounded cap on it but I will wait till the rudder is installed and decide then. There's still about half of the plank fillets to be done although I try to do a few every time I work to spread out the monotony.

The trim around the mizzen step "box" still needs some final shaping and epoxying down.

This shot really shows what the 11" offset of the mizzen looks like. I've got the mainmast tapered and fit to the mast step so I can mock up the trim around the mast, and after that there's floorboards and the trim around the centerboard to finish the interior. Looking at this shot, the only thing I wish I would have done differently is round the corners of the access panel. Oh well, I'll know for the next one!

Mike