Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Oughtred Fulmar Build

Default Re: Oughtred Fulmar Build

Hey fellas, thanks for the kind words! Skip was launched in 2019 and sailed in the last two Small Reach Regattas along with numerous outing on the Maine coast. Two main takeaways: the balanced lug rig pulls like a draft horse and allows us to ghost along in light winds, however, once the wind dies your going to work pretty hard to row. The only modification was the addition of two 50# bars of lead bolted to the floor alongside the centerboard to make single-handing a little less exciting. With a crew of two the hull responds well to trimming by crew movement and can be made to plane without feeling skittish. Bruce is right, hiking straps are a good idea if you like to stay on the wind, otherwise you can do like we do and reef early and ease the sheet often.

Andy, the Kirby paint was color matched to a chip I sent them. The paint can is boxed up in preparation for a move so I will give Kirby's a call tomorrow and find out what we called the color. What we've been happy to discover is how the color can look grey, green, or blue depending on the color of the water and how the light hits it.

Surprisingly, the aft roller on the trailer has been a welcome addition. When we launch, the hull's aft buoyancy has the transom floating before the stem gets wet, even on the shallowest ramps. When retrieving, I back the trailer in till the roller is a few inches under water and use the roller to guide the keel straight up the trailer when winching. This tend to work better than submerging the trailer deeper as any cross breeze will push the stern as soon as the winch line is attached.

Neil, Plockton looks great! I would say that the Gannet is a better choice for people that mainly sail alone and that the Fulmar really needs two (plus 100#s of ballast) to come into her own.

Mike

Love your boat! Great job! I've always loved Oughtred's boats and thought of building one many times. However, I chose a little simpler boat, Clint Chase's Calendar Islands Yawl. I'm nearing the end of the build and I've paid particular attention to your trailer set up. I've marked the page and will study it as the time comes for me to modify a used trailer that I picked up. Thanks for sharing your build and again: nice job!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike J View Post
    H.

Andy, the Kirby paint was color matched to a chip I sent them. The paint can is boxed up in preparation for a move so I will give Kirby's a call tomorrow and find out what we called the color. What we've been happy to discover is how the color can look grey, green, or blue depending on the color of the water and how the light hits it.
    Thanks for being willing to dig for that color specification, it is just so pretty!

Happy to help. I spoke to George Kirby today and the color is called Hazy Sea Cliff Teal. It's a pretty close match to a color chip we picked up at Home Depot and mailed to Kirby. If you are interested in ordering some, Kirby can look up the color using my name and phone number which I will share with you if you PM me.

Mike

PM sent