Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: A Phoenix III in Georgian Bay

Default Re: A Phoenix III in Georgian Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Williamson View Post
    Would you do some island hopping across to Tobermory?
    BTW, Killarney is a long way,by road,from everywhere.
    If you look at a map, you might notice that you've almost doubled back to Little Current,which is only 20-odd miles away.
    You might consider Whitefish Falls/Birch Island for launching. Lots of MacGregor Bay water-access cottagers keep boats there. It's 20-30 minutes south of Espanola.
    Little Current is another 20-odd minutes south of Whitefish.
    The Killarney channel gets to be solid with boats in July and August,as does the village with other traffic.
    R
    Killarney is long way from everywhere! Excellent point. It’s easy to overlook the obvious. That is EXACTLY the reason to go there. The town of Killarney and Killarney Provincial Park ARE a long way from the main roads, perhaps 25 miles down a dead end. This is one of the reasons this section of Georgian Bay, from Killarney to Byng Inlet, is very sparsely populated with cottages, unlike MacGregor Bay. The other reason is there may be 30,000 Islands but there are 50,000 shoals, hence the well marked small craft channels through this area. This is excellent for kayaking. I can’t resist exploring every nook. But in a sailboat I’ll have to rethink and control my impulses.

Perhaps 10 years ago my friend Joe and I paddled the North Channel because Joe heard about this area from some sailers.
    We found the paddle from Spanish to the Benjamin’s boring but the Benjamin’s were beautiful. They looked like a small bit of the the Section of GB from Killarney to Byng and had a bunch of large sailboats moored in a small anchorage.

I have a friend who paddled from Manitolin Island to Tobermory in 20 foot waves. There’s a reason Tobermory is a diver’s Meca. Fathom Five, Canadian National underwater park has clear water down to 80 feet and many shipwrecks!

Rob
    www.laughingloon.com

Preaching to the choir.
    My point was that Killarney is at the end of a deadend road with too many people on it.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

That schooner is a Thomas Colvin design Gazelle. A good one too!
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

I just wanted readers to know that the line tightly coiled up like a snake in that small boat is a bad idea.
    If you see rope coiled up like that you will often see mold under it.
    It is better to just leave the line not coiled up on the dock.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Loon View Post
    Killarney is long way from everywhere! Excellent point. It’s easy to overlook the obvious. That is EXACTLY the reason to go there. The town of Killarney and Killarney Provincial Park ARE a long way from the main roads, perhaps 25 miles down a dead end.
    Which you'd think would be obvious just by glancing at a map. But on my way through Killarney (by boat) this summer, a couple driving a car pulled up beside me as I was walking around town. They wanted to know where the bridge to Little Current was!

They were quite shocked when I told them Killarney was a dead end by road, and that they'd have to go all the way back out to the main highway...

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by donald branscom View Post
    I just wanted readers to know that the line tightly coiled up like a snake in that small boat is a bad idea.
    If you see rope coiled up like that you will often see mold under it.
    It is better to just leave the line not coiled up on the dock.
    More context, please? What line are you talking about? Thanks!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

are these the coils in question?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Loon View Post
    Perhaps 10 years ago my friend Joe and I paddled the North Channel because Joe heard about this area from some sailers. We found the paddle from Spanish to the Benjamin’s boring but the Benjamin’s were beautiful. They looked like a small bit of the the Section of GB from Killarney to Byng and had a bunch of large sailboats moored in a small anchorage.
    Rob,

if you head west from Spanish you quickly get into the Whalesback Channel, which is probably the best of the North Channel (apart from the Benjamin Island group)--Beardrop Harbour in particular has lots of exposed granite cliffs, tall dome-ish islands, and narrow passages.

Other than that, though, I agree that Georgian Bay (30,000 Islands, French River delta, the Bustard Islands, etc) is much more appealing.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com