Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: A Phoenix III in Georgian Bay

Default Re: A Phoenix III in Georgian Bay

After checking with the marina office if it'd be ok to leave my boat there for a while, I spent the afternoon walking around town. Coming to town via small boat, and then wandering around checking out bookstores and restaurants is one of my favorite things about long trips. But eventually it was time to move on. The winds were still favorable, so I settled in for another long run (not everyone can handle such a rigorous schedule, but luckily I still had more than half the pizza I had bought back in Killarney to fortify my resolve):

I kept going into the evening as the wind slowly faded away. Finally busted out the oars a couple of miles SE of the good old Benjamin Islands again--I had come a long way, 30 miles more or less (probably could have sailed all the way back to Spanish if I hadn't stopped in town). A truly great afternoon/evening of sailing and pizza.

Edit to add: I just noticed my "day 17 camp" marker is in the wrong place, on Croker Island. It should be at the southern tip of South Benjamin Island, which is the island just to the left. Bonus points to anyone who spots the Captain Ron reference.
    Last edited by WI-Tom; 01-29-2015 at 07:04 PM.
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

Jagular Goes Everywhere: (mis)Adventures in a $300 Sailboat. Book release November 2014.

Not much more to report. Sailed into the Benjies (as they are never called) and anchored in a quiet corner of the southern side of the group, far from the main anchorage. Slept aboard, and woke early to cold-ish, overcast skies. With a rare burst of insight, I decided I'd be stuck under my boat tent in the rain if I didn't get moving right away, so I did. Sailed north and west toward Spanish, where I had left the car.

Light winds, but steadily growing stronger (as usual). Rain threatening. Had to beat up the final channel west of Little Detroit (too lazy to row) and paid for it by being caught in a torrential downpour a mile from the marina. Gave up, dropped the sail, and rowed in.

Cold and wet--left the boat at the dock and grabbed dry clothes from the car, enjoyed a hot shower, and loaded up the boat when the rain let up. All in all, a good summer. 18 days and 300 miles, maybe, in addition to 10 days and 150 miles on Lake Nipigon earlier in the summer. Time to head home (and hope my little car, with 240,000 miles on the odometer, would make it).

So, that's it. Anyone else here done any sailing in Georgian Bay or the North Channel? Got any trips to other places to report? If not, get out there and do some sailing--you must be spending too much time building boats. Don't forget why you build 'em...

Here's a last look at the whole trip:

And one last photo from the Bustard Islands:

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

Jagular Goes Everywhere: (mis)Adventures in a $300 Sailboat. Book release November 2014.

Excellent! Thanks, Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by MMonies View Post
    William Least Heat Moon, one of my favorites. I am sure you have read "River Horse." I think he would like you, Tom, and Jagular too.

Jackie Monies- For Mike, who would concur
    My all time favorite book also.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Great writing and really awesome photos, Thanks Tom! Definitely looks like a place I need to put on my list of 'places to go' for my Whitehall......

Soni

Quote Originally Posted by workboat View Post
    Great writing and really awesome photos, Thanks Tom! Definitely looks like a place I need to put on my list of 'places to go' for my Whitehall......

Soni
    What design is your whitehall? How big? I'm hoping to get my Alaska up to Georgian Bay this summer--perfect place to be.

Tom

Tom,

I'm relieved to find out that you did, in fact, make it back safe and sound to tell us this fine tale.

Thanks again!
    Alex

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. We do be afraid of the sea, and we only be drowned now and again" Aran Islands Fisherman

So when are you bringing Fire-Drake out to sail on Georgian Bay? As a Canadian, you don't even need a passport for that trip. That looks like a cool boat you're building.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    What design is your whitehall? How big? I'm hoping to get my Alaska up to Georgian Bay this summer--perfect place to be.

Tom
    Tom,

She is a 16 foot, one-off Whitehall, built by a gentleman by the name of Tim Jones. He built her in his basement, in Ontario Canada. Before I purchased her from him in 2011, he used her for some extensive sailing, rowing and camp cruising, in and around Georgian Bay, so the boat at least would feel right at home there....lol

Here are a couple of pics....

Soni

Looks like a great boat--trad built, as well. That's cool. That good old whitehall shape (if not the trad details) seems strangely familiar:

My only quibble would be the spritsail rig, which is a little inconvenient for reefing. Sure looks great, though!

Tom

Your boat does look rather familiar Tom! Is this the boat you are working on? She sure is a beauty!!

The rig on mine is not to bad as far as reefing goes because my snotter is set up, so I can just slide it up and down the mast as soon as tension from the boom is released.
    And of course.....there is always 'scandalizing' as well....lol
    My boat is a bit narrow on the beam for sailing in stronger airs, but I do really enjoy the way she rows!

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    So when are you bringing Fire-Drake out to sail on Georgian Bay? As a Canadian, you don't even need a passport for that trip. That looks like a cool boat you're building.

Tom
    And then there's Lake of the Woods, another fine cross-border cruising area in western Ontario that I went sailing on many, many moons ago

So many cruising areas, so little time!

First things first. I have to finish the build, and I've just barely started.
    Alex

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. We do be afraid of the sea, and we only be drowned now and again" Aran Islands Fisherman

Yep, that's my new boat which will launch this summer. It'll have a ketch rig with two boomless standing lugsails.

For reefing your spritsail, do you ever run into problems with the base of the sprit hitting the deck when you're reefed all the way down?

And how about flotation? I suppose packing it full of dry bags would help reduce the amount of water aboard, but I'd be a bit nervous about being out without enough to float her high enough for re-righting and bailing.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by AJZimm View Post
    And then there's Lake of the Woods, another fine cross-border cruising area in western Ontario that I went sailing on many, many moons ago

So many cruising areas, so little time!

First things first. I have to finish the build, and I've just barely started.
    It's a measure of how priorities, I suppose. You start building a boat and keep at it until it's ready to sail. I start building a boat and abandon the build to borrow someone else's boat and go cruising. One of us is going to be done with his boat sooner than the other...

Is Lake of the Woods rocky/cliffy at all? I really have a great preference for rocky shores and tall cliffs. Lake Nipigon was nice that way (cliffs) though not the same kind of slabby granite that I love so much about Georgian Bay.

Tom

Lake of the Woods is mostly relatively low rocky bits and a lot of shore hugging conifer trees. A real maze of islands, though not the same as the 30,000 in Georgian Bay, rocky lumps with little...windswept vegetation. Still pretty neat. the downside from my point of view is the thousands on cottages throughout, particularly in the norther Canadian portions. I'd recommend September to be free of most of the crowds on the water and those claiming jurisdiction extending beyond the rocky tree'd bits. Delightful none-the-less.

I think Rainy Lake and the border lakes in the Quetico are more interesting.

I really think a better cruise....at least from my point of view is perhaps starting from Marathon and cruising down the Pukaskwa, possibly to Michipcotan. Many of the bays are really too small for "real cruising boats" but for kayaks and oar and sail cruising boats, pretty much perfect. About 1 day in three or maybe four will normally be a weather day. It is almost never too hot, and seldom really cool in the summer. Lots of hours of daylight and most of that good and sunny in the summer.

You could work around the Islands outside Rossport or start from Terrace Bay out to the Slate Islands. But I would start with Pukaskwa....I loved it there.
    Last edited by gilberj; 01-29-2015 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gilberj View Post
    I really think a better cruise....at least from my point of view is perhaps starting from Marathon and cruising down the Pukaskwa, possibly to Michipcotan. Many of the bays are really too small for "real cruising boats" but for kayaks and oar and sail cruising boats, pretty much perfect. About 1 day in three or maybe four will normally be a weather day. It is almost never too hot, and seldom really cool in the summer. Lots of hours of daylight and most of that good and sunny in the summer.

You could work around the Islands outside Rossport or start from Terrace Bay out to the Slate Islands. But I would start with Pukaskwa....I loved it there.
    I finally drove around Lake Superior for the first time this past summer, and the Pukaskwa is extremely appealing, that's for sure. I imagine I'll get there soonish-ly. A step up, maybe, in seriousness from Georgian Bay--colder water, bigger fetches. Looks really cool.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Dan St Gean View Post
    While doing a one way trip by kayak of the Killarney to the Key river, we enjoyed a bit of navigational help from the previously bought nautical charts--which I hope to use again soon (it's been too long). Alternately on another kayak trip to the Apostle Islands, I bought a placemat with a reduced size overview of the area to stash on my deck--waterproof too!

Dan
    So Dan,

where's your thread on your kayak trip? Where did you all camp?

Tom

What a great thread to read for a guy who has just come in from snow-blowing 700 ft of driveway. I've wandered and gunk-holed in most of those areas. All of the North Channel waters and Georgian Bay, and also Lake of the Woods. And Pukaskwa. I LOVE that country.

In fact Black Bay is the only place I've ever touched Drake to a rock.

Nice job of bringing it all to life on the screen!

Dave