Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Anacortes Pull & Be Damned Small Boat Messabout--May 16th

Default Re: 2015 Anacortes Pull & Be Damned Small Boat Messabout--May 16th

Well, if you want to paddle over to Saddlebag island for the afterparty, bring yer camping gear, and all the appropriate stuff to be seaworthy enough to make the crossing. It'll be something on the order of three-four miles to get there, with definite currents and tidal effects to negotiate, so you should have at least a basic familiarity with the issues of open water canoeing if you want to try it. But if not, don't worry, Fidalgo Bay is much more sheltered and protected, so even a truly novice paddler can enjoy that.

Otherwise, there will be a potluck BBQ with grills provided for lunchtime. And you don't have to figure any of that out beforehand either, as you're walking distance from a grocery store just across the street.

Last edited by James McMullen; 05-13-2015 at 10:29 PM.

I was planning on bringing just that; however, this is a 12 foot double paddle canoe so seaworthiness is questionable if there are any seas. In any case, it sounds like a lot of fun. See you on Saturday.

Weather permitting, Mike. At any rate, there'll be lots of other small boats around, so we'll all try to keep an eye out for one another.

I,m working both Saturday and Sunday. If I feel energetic I'll launch at the guemes resort and come down for a visit at Saddlebag Island after work on Saturday.

Perhaps this is a dumb question but where is the Seafarer's Park. Is it at the end of Seafarers Way? Or is it at the end of First Avenue, next to the ferry terminal?

It is right downtown at the south edge of Cap Sante Marina. Look for the dock and the building with the blue roof at the left in this picture. That's where we'll be.

Friday night, already launched and in the water for tomorrow:

Bjorkdale boat
    Babson 14 skiff
    Ness Yawl
    14' peapod
    Poulsbo Boat
    Great Pelican
    Candlefish 16
    and Rowan.

And this is just a sampling of what's in store. The great majority won't even show up until tomorrow morning. Hope to see you there.

All packed and loaded… looking forward to the morning…

Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Higgins.94301 View Post
    I was planning on bringing just that; however, this is a 12 foot double paddle canoe so seaworthiness is questionable if there are any seas. In any case, it sounds like a lot of fun. See you on Saturday.
    Looks like the weather will be just about perfect for a really small boat. Very light winds, so maybe a combination of rowing and sailing for the fleet.
    Have a great time, everyone!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Rather than frolic in the waters off Anacortes I drove to Spanaway, (one of the least picturesque "towns" in the state) to buy a trailer for Marianita.

Sat down to my morning ritual of coffee and WBF thinking there would be pictures....sigh
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    Rather than frolic in the waters off Anacortes I drove to Spanaway, (one of the least picturesque "towns" in the state) to buy a trailer for Marianita.

Sat down to my morning ritual of coffee and WBF thinking there would be pictures....sigh
    I was thinking the same thing, expecting a few pictures this morning. I guess those guys are just having too much fun to be bothered with us.
    Patience is a virtue and hopefully we'll soon be rewarded.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Most of the crowd headed off to Saddlebag Island for curry and camping, followed by a trip around Guemes Island today.

Here's a few shots from the get together:

Flying Scamp, built by Dale and Chris

Genuine Poulsbo boat, with a little Beta diesel in it.

Cosine Wherry, with a slick roller dolly.

Turns out those kayak hatches are good for kids too!

A SOF boat named Helium, built by Alan in Seattle, sporting a fully battened sliding gunter with a tyvek sail.

Some kind of crazy, very authentic, norwegian boat. The sheer strake ends about 3/4 of the way back, and the garboard starts about a 1/4 of the way back from the bow. Gives is a raked look, which is very sporty and completely functional.

Last edited by BBSebens; 05-18-2015 at 12:18 AM.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Dale's Scamp, ready to play.

And, your's truly, Matty. 16' Mattinicus double ender, by Walter Simmons.

Flying your boat is fun!

Group shot.

It was a great outing, with good weather, but flukey wind, mostly light with puffs that nearly asked for a reef. I'm sure there will be more pics coming.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

I know it is almost politically incorrect in this crowd, but does anyone have a closer picture of the yellow trimaran, and what is it?

Politically incorrect? What the hell are you talking about? No motor = good, no matter how many hulls it's got.

Scott's planning to do the R2AK in that contraption, and I think you can find more info on their website.

Should I just Google "Scott's" and see what I find?
    I'm a little too far away to be in with the in group.

I'm at least a soul brother because no motor = good for me also.

Go to the r2ak site, links and info about participants

Anyways, the time hanging out at the docks is fun of course.

But it's the after party that's the most fun. I think I counted 18 boats total that came out for the overnight, with 9 of us going the long way around by doing a circumnavigation of Guemes the next day, and 1 rowing straight back home up to Bellingham.

The north side cove on Saddlebag was as awesome as usual. The weather was very tranquil later on, and the tides were quite convenient both that evening, and in the morning after.

And the circum-Guemes was delightful as well, with wind ranging from nothing to plenty, currents timed to run us downhill most of the way around, and a plentiful passel of porpoises that swam right through the middle of our fleet as we passed through the rip at the north end of Guemes.

I paddled directly back to Anacortes early in Sunday morning in ideal conditions. The seas were flat and the usual headwind was taking the morning off. A pod of porpoises feeding off the north end of Guemes was fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post

Did you buy a new or used trailer?
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Wow. Talk about thread drift. Somebody ban this non-Messabout-attending fool.

Actually, missing the porpoise swarm is probably punishment enough.

I had a great time at the event. Fun boats, great people, and stunning locale. I'll be back to do some more exploring up there. I hear there are more islands to the NW

The drive back to Portland just about did me in. Work is difficult today.

Keith

Built by Jay Smith ( I think I got the name right" this is as close as its possible to get to the real, authentic thing.
    James McMullen took me to Jays shop just outside Anacortes a while back, and if you think that this is interesting, there is the near complete hull of a 90 foot Viking ship there, its absolutely mind blowing! As is his collection of hand woodworking tools!

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by BBSebens View Post
    Most of the crowd headed off to Saddlebag Island for curry and camping, followed by a trip around Guemes Island today.

Here's a few shots from the get together:

Flying Scamp, built by Dale and Chris

Genuine Poulsbo boat, with a little Beta diesel in it.

Cosine Wherry, with a slick roller dolly.

Turns out those kayak hatches are good for kids too!

A SOF boat named Helium, built by Alan in Seattle, sporting a fully battened sliding gunter with a tyvek sail.

Some kind of crazy, very authentic, norwegian boat. The sheer strake ends about 3/4 of the way back, and the garboard starts about a 1/4 of the way back from the bow. Gives is a raked look, which is very sporty and completely functional.

An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Work, the ultimate dirty four letter word!
    Will I see you at the Pocket Yacht Palooza or the PT Wooden Boat Festival Keith? There is a very significant SCAMP announcement to be made there.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Nasman View Post
    I had a great time at the event. Fun boats, great people, and stunning locale. I'll be back to do some more exploring up there. I hear there are more islands to the NW

The drive back to Portland just about did me in. Work is difficult today.

Keith
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

I also had an excellent time at the messabout. I moved to Anacortes from Seattle about a year ago and this messabout is just another thing I like about this town. Thanks to the people who organized it. I have a brand new rowboat, now I need to learn to row with a touch of style. I won't name names but I saw some impressive oar handling on Saturday. I need some of that.

There were some beautiful boats on display Saturday.

It was great meeting and talking to all of you, some for a second or third time and seeing the great boats everyone has built.....took a few new ideas home with me, too!

And as per James' guarantee, the weather was perfect.

Alan
    https://sites.google.com/site/helium12sofsailboat/
    Last edited by SNAPMAN; 05-18-2015 at 05:40 PM.

Wait. Was this last weekend? I thought it was next weekend. I just finished varnishing my kayak.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

John,

Fortunately or unfortunately, us pirates will be pillaging an island up near Desolation Sound from the 17th through the 27th. I'll have to hot foot it home afterwards or I might find the door locks changed. We'll miss the rally too. Who would have thought getting pirates together would come down to the one week when EVERYTHING is happening. We are getting very excited to get Derek's "Liberty 53" splashed - she's got paint, just needs the cockpit coaming and hardware. I'll do my best to get to the Festival.

I really enjoyed this weekend. Dale and I had the two scamps and when we went around Guemes Sunday morning Dale bucked the crowd and hung in really tight to the cliffs. I followed James' lead out into the channel, figuring he had the local knowledge. I kept up for a bit but his waterline and skill walked away from me of course. The main group must have slowed down for me because I crept up to them, and Dale was coming up from landward. Meanwhile James was way ahead of the pack but way out in the channel. Dale just kept rolling boats, then he was out in front of the pack and James had tacked and they met up near the top of the island. I got the feeling that James didn't like having a 12ft boat get the drop on him. I ended up rowing the last bit cause the wind faded away and we had to round the top to catch the tide.

At the top of the island the currents stirred up the water but we found that Guemes had been completely blocking the 8-10kn breeze coming up from the south. I hoisted sail quickly and powered into the churning water. I looked up at Dale and Chris just ahead of me and 5 or 6 dolphins shot out into the air from under their boats. Incredible! We saw many more. Everywhere I looked I saw seals. Right when I was coming around Cap Sante to the marina a harbor seal surfaced ten feet behind Zephyr. I could see its whole torpedo shaped body, its large eyes blinking at me. What a welcome to the area.

Thanks to James and everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    Work, the ultimate dirty four letter word!
    Will I see you at the Pocket Yacht Palooza or the PT Wooden Boat Festival Keith? There is a very significant SCAMP announcement to be made there.

John Welsford

Yeah, Dale very nearly beat me to the north end of Guemes in those light airs, with near perfect tactics. For such impertinence, I was tempted to ban him from any future messabouts on the spot.

One of the fun things about that day is that we ran dead downwind to westward all along the north edge of Guemes, and after beating up Bellingham Channel, the wind had shifted so we got to run dead downwind eastwards up Guemes Channel on the south side. Downhill both ways!

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    Built by Jay Smith ( I think I got the name right" this is as close as its possible to get to the real, authentic thing.
    James McMullen took me to Jays shop just outside Anacortes a while back, and if you think that this is interesting, there is the near complete hull of a 90 foot Viking ship there, its absolutely mind blowing! As is his collection of hand woodworking tools!

John Welsford
    Fifteen years ago, I wrote a story about Jay Smith and his Viking boats for the Seattle Times. It was a thrill to pull my laptrake double - ended Caledonia yawl by his at the messabout and tell him I finally got my own Viking boat.

I am surprised no one mentioned the very overdue recognition that happened at the Meet, of Bob and Eric Pickett's work over the years...work in making OARS happen, the waterfront park happen, and starting Pull and Be Damned rowing meet. Win Anderson, Carl Meinzinger, David Jackson and Mike Murphy were all involved starting these things, but I think it is fair to say that the Pickett's were the constant and driving energy through it all. I missed the ceremony due to a very late boat launch on a project replacing a blown engine, but got to at least congratulate them at the Meet a little later. I met Bo and Erica at the original Center for Woodenboat meetings at Dick Wagner's house boat in Seattle, and they were instrumental in getting me to move to Anacortes after the yard in Gig Harbor closed. Thank you Bob and Erica...truly a job well done!

You are absolutely right, Paul. I regret the oversight. The Pickett's and Flounder Bay Boat Lumber were an essential part of my own start as a baby boatbuilder.

The Poulsbo boat is theirs, with a brand new Beta diesel. And Erica still rows every Wednesday morning. Knowing them has enriched my life, and I am glad the community at large gave them recognition.

My friend Julie Titone has posted a nice set of pictures from the weekend. Let's see if you can get to them from this link: https://plus.google.com/photos/10027...CNCVyp3Gwqz6EA