Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 1011

Thread: CLC Nanoship 12'6" water ballasted self righting cruising dinghy

Default Re: CLC Nanoship 12'6" water ballasted self righting cruising dinghy

I get the speed thing....at least to to some extent. I mostly and prefer to sail in big water. I like sailing anywhere and everywhere. But big water with the potential of horizons and adventures, is a stronger attraction to me than just a pleasant afternoon on a small patch of water. In big waters the distances are usually considerably larger and, you need to be able to plan your small passages with available weather windows.
    Anyway Any small boat I might pick will need to be a reasonably efficient sailor. It also needs to carry my stuff, a high performance dinghy, will not do that part as well.
    One thought about the speed thing post.....stuff does not generally just happen..... There are signs and pre-weather stuff. I'd suggest you work at developing your skills at weather forecasting in your area and boat handling in stiffer conditions.
    I see a small boat like this in my future as part of downsizing and getting older. I think about it quite a bit.

Good news ! Full plans are now available for building NED. Time to get building one of these little nuggets.

Cheers John
    Last edited by JDMH; 04-08-2017 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JDMH View Post
    Good news ! Full plans are now available for building NED. Time to get building one of these little nuggets.

Cheers John
    Take apart or fixed John? NED is too big to fit in the back of my current vehicle, and i cannot imagine changing just for this purpose......at least not yet. Nano has turned out to be quite the looker too!

great news john, really look forward to watching build and seeing her sailing.

Has to be take apart for me as space is really limited in my new abode. Will be a while until I get started, but in the meantime I will talk to Andrew Denman about the possibility of cnc cutting the plywood. Looks like a project that will keep one busy for a fair old while ! Cheers John.

Quote Originally Posted by JDMH View Post
    Has to be take apart for me as space is really limited in my new abode. Will be a while until I get started, but in the meantime I will talk to Andrew Denman about the possibility of cnc cutting the plywood. Looks like a project that will keep one busy for a fair old while ! Cheers John.
    Hi john. If you are in Hobart looking for marine ply, check out Upton's or the bunker. I have used heaps of their marine ply. I'm not sure what the wood is and it doesn't have a BS 1088 stamp but anything 6 mm and thicker is immaculate and incredible value for Tas. I have sawn up literally dozens of sheets of various thickness and they have all been immaculate. Nice thick face veneers, too. Good luck with your build.

Thanks for the tip re plywood Al G, I have recently moved to Hobart so I am not familiar with Upton or the Bunker. Good plywood is hard to source in any part of the world today it seems. Cheers John

For those who might have missed it, Nano, as built wont be going into production, and John is working on the Nano 3, with some refinements. Full story here.
    http://www.clcboats.com/life-of-boat...p-cruiser.html

Surprised it even made it onto the market, there was some interest over on their forum, i would have thought someone would have snapped it up.

Replacement cost $30,000?
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    Replacement cost $30,000?
    I kinda choked on that too. I guess it might have something to do with all the hours spent building/developing? I dont know of any dinghies that size that come in at that cost.

If lived within trailering distance, I would have been wholly tempted by this deal but automatically assumed it was gone a moment after being posted. -- Wade

Does this say something about the economy or about the boat? It will be interesting to see what price kits will be , and the 3.0 plans. Its a big little dayboat, Pocketship has the same generous cockpit, but with a handy cuddy....enough to swing it for most who might even think about a night afloat, or more to the point, somewhere for the ladies to do their buisness, though i have penciled in a small sprayhood with roll down canvas back for that issue on Nano.