Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Argie 15 with balanced lug build in Vancouver, BC

Default Re: Argie 15 - start of a very slow build

Thanks Capefox. I had some leftover walnut from a previous project but not enough to build a transom. So I ran it through the table saw and planer to make 1/8 veneer pieces and the turned each pair to book match them and then stuck them to my plywood transom.

The next picture is my progress for today. Lots of filling the chine seams with goop. This will be followed by lots of sanding etc. etc. etc. - you know the drill.

And yes, on the front end of the sheer plank lower edges I managed to mess up on both sides! Nothing like consistency. As always, once it's all done and dusted, nobody will know.

It's not apparent from the pics what went wrong with the gunwale strakes.

Power tools!!!! I slipped on one side, not too bad I thought, I can I just even up the other side to match. Then I slipped on the second side too - enough! Some filler and goop needed. Once everything is finished the only evidence will be a slight reshaping of where the chine meets the bow. If I don't point it out nobody will ever know.
    Last edited by Roy Morford; 10-29-2015 at 07:57 PM.

Was a router responsible for that? I've had enough bad luck with routers not to let them near my projects.

It was a belt sander which won't be coming anywhere near her ever again. My trim router on the other hand I use a lot.

Today I rounded and sanded down all the chine edges and it looks much better. I hope to tape the outside of the chines this weekend with 6 ounce tape from which I've cut off the selvedges to save myself some sanding later on. The cutting was actually very quick and easy using one of those pizza cutter type knives. Still trying to decide whether or not I should glass the bottom, or more.

Looking good Roy. I glassed over my entire bottom. I like running straight up onto the beach and stepping out on dry ground because everyone knows that Jaws waits in a foot of water at the boat ramp for those guys that don't want to scratch the bottom of their un-fibre glassed boats and have to jump out before it hits the sand.

We don't have jaws, but we do have oolichons, herring, salmon and seal. Quite a few times this year we've had orcas (killer whales) in the bay and we even had a humpback whale less than a hundred feet from our launch ramp. Other than that we just have freighters, power boats and PWCs to worry about.
    Last edited by Roy Morford; 11-01-2015 at 10:59 AM.

Today's progress. All chines and the bow seam now have the tape in place. Too cold to do any epoxy work yet so I'll put on the space heater for a while before mixing up any epoxy and finishing this stage of the build.

Hey I love the thumb tack idea. Never thought of that. I used masking tape to hold it all in place.

Managed to get the glass tape on the chines epoxied today. Got a little messy I'm afraid. Cutting of the selvedge has left very little to smooth out. I'll attack it tomorrow with a good sharp scraper and finish off with 60 grit on my ROS. I've decided to glass the entire hull, probably with 4 ounce glass.

Looking good Roy.
    The scraper should make short work of the epoxy.

Today I scraped and sanded the tape at the chines. Much easier then even I had anticipated. Had to stop and do some paying work but tomorrow I'll give the entire hull a coat of epoxy. Thursday I will start glassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fudzwollop View Post
    Hey I love the thumb tack idea. Never thought of that. I used masking tape to hold it all in place.
    +1. Ingenious.

This morning I was finally able to find some time and I've now sealed the entire hull with a coat of epoxy. I'll let this harden up over the weekend and next week scrape away any runs, give it a light overall sanding and then start glassing.

Very nice in deed!

To my great delight I found only a couple of runs in the epoxy seal coat this morning and so a quick sand to remove the raised grain and I was able to lay out the glass cloth on the port side.

I'll let it sit overnight to relax into shape and do the first fill coat either tomorrow or Monday.

A 4" wide, soft-bristle paint brush can also help smooth out fabric like a champ :-)

Thanks Capefox. I would never have thought of that. I won't be working on it today as SWMBO has other plans for me. Hopefully I can get the first fill coat on tomorrow and the drape the starboard side Tuesday or Wednesday.

I might have missed a posting about the prep work you did on the hull before glassing. At the risk of being annoyingly redundant, may I suggest you wash the hull -- with a Scotch(tm) pad and bucket of slightly soapy, warm water -- to remove any amine blush or other contaminants (oils or grease, for example) that could interfere with adhesion of the epoxy and cloth to the hull; rough the surface with medium to fine sandpaper to give the epoxy something to "tooth" into; and then wipe the surface clean with a damp tack rag.

Thanks again Capefox, good advice as always. The epoxy I use is blush free and only needs a light sanding to remove raised grain and/or stray insects before the second and subsequent coats. I've been using this brand (Aqua Set) for about twenty or more years now and have never had a problem. I'm also very used to the way it works in a variety of applications from sealant to glass work and all kinds of gluing and fairing. Not sure if it's widely available though.

Managed to get epoxy on the port side glass yesterday. I wasn't going to post a picture of acres (hectares) of the stuff but here's a pic of an intruder who will be unceremoniously scraped off later today.

Your work is so clean and nice. This could be THE text book Argie 15 construction project. It's amazing how insects manage to get trapped in paint, epoxy, etc. I was instantly swarmed by gnats when I applied the paint.

Thanks Capefox but there's no doubt in my mind that your thread is the top of the list.

It's funny how life keeps getting in the way but today, finally, I was able to drape the glass cloth on the starboard side of my hull. If everything goes according to plan (does it ever?) I should be able to put on the first coat of epoxy tomorrow.

Tomorrow is here and I just finished the epoxy work on the starboard side. Yea!!!!!
    Last edited by Roy Morford; 11-14-2015 at 03:25 PM.

I don't understand. Today I put a second coat of epoxy over the glass. There are five surfaces - the bottom, two lower strakes and two upper strakes. Four out of five surfaces look great. One has enormous craters all over it. All of the hull was treated the same way and the epoxy for this surface was used on the other surfaces as well. ????????????? I guess I'll wait until it cures, sand and do that surface again. After that sets up I'll sand the complete hull for one final coat before I start sanding and filling for a fair surface before painting. I'm too embarrassed to post a picture.

Fish eyes are usually the sign of a contaminant. It sounds like you did a thorough surface prep. Could water, oil, wax, silicon, or something else have got on it? Did you use another kind of sand paper on it, foe example? I'm not entirely convinced non-blushing epoxy produces no amine at all under all conditions such as cold and damp. Is the affected panel near a cold wall or something different.

The only thing I can think of is that I changed rollers a few times and one was a different brand. Maybe something about the roller? Who knows, everything else was consistent. I've got the heater on in the garage now to speed up the cure and should be able to scrape, sand and recoat over the weekend. Maybe it was just the boat building gods telling me to stick to the thread title and slow down!

The hull epoxy coats are looking better now and I've sanded a few areas to make sure the coverage is good - it is. Yesterday I put a first coat of varnish on the transom and today, after a light (180 grit) sanding, added a second coat. Difficult to take a picture because I don't want to open the garage door because it's too windy and I don't want to have any dead leaves or insects attaching themselves. I will add several more coats of varnish later and these preliminary coats are just to protect the wood while I do all the other stuff.

One thing I missed when I varnished my boat was the advice to create a sealer layer by applying thinned varnish as a base layer. Supposedly it penetrates the wood more and protects better. My Cabot spar varnish was quite watery at first so maybe the point is moot. Have you read or heard similar recommendations?

The advice to thin the first coat or two is recommended by virtually all varnish suppliers, including Epifanes, my varnish of choice. I was told long ago by a local cabinet maker that this was not really necessary provided you prepared the surface properly and worked clean. He also suggested using foam brushes which I've also been doing for years. I can't remember the last time I thinned varnish and I've always been very pleased with the results I've been able to achieve. I know many people will disagree and so I'll just say - whatever works for you.

The sun is out, the wind has dropped and I'll be sanding most of the afternoon. Here, to illustrate what I said in my last couple of posts, is a pic of the transom with just two coats of varnish. If you look closely it appears stippled (because it is) but keep in mind there will be at least six more coats with sanding still to come.

I'll post again when the initial hull sanding is done and again after my fill coat(s). After that it will be add the keel, skeg and runners followed by prime and paint. Sounds so easy but I think we all know that is quite a lot of work so be patient with me.

The nice work continues. I hope you eventually put gold and black lettering on that fine transom.

Interesting idea Capefox. She has a name of course but tradition prevents me from revealing it before her Christening. Do you have any links to the type of lettering you have in mind?

I have decided that I hate sanding epoxy. I have 1 1/2 strakes left to sand and I swear I'll never glass another hull. Rant over.

It's actually looking quite good. I have the maple I plan to use for the keel and skeg and bilge rubbing strips and will cut, fit and epoxy them in after the sanding is complete. I also plan to add a walnut strip (decorative and copying someone else's build) on the outside half way down the top strake and this will be the next job (including a couple of coats of varnish). Then I'll be able to mask off and do the first prime coat.

Small steps, sometimes frustrating (sanding) sometimes really good (seeing it assume the shape of a real boat).

Now I need to take a shower and de-dust myself.

I felt that way about the tedium of sanding and the dust. It seemed to invade every inch of the house and garage. A leaf blower got rid of most of it from the garage though. I wonder if one of those big sanders with a soft polishing pad, which Whizbang13 apparently favors, would make this job much more bearable? A full Mr. Walt White Tyvek(tm) work suit with hood would keep the dust off too, but might prompt your local constabulary to keep an eye on your premises.
    Last edited by capefox; 11-28-2015 at 10:01 PM.

I agree. It's amazing how much dust there is even though I have a vacuum hooked up to my sander. Then, just like you, I use a leaf blower to get most of the dust out of the garage. I also used a hose to wash down the hull. I do wear a white coverall but it's just a regular coverall not one of those things you see on CSI. However, the end is in sight. One more day of sanding and I can start to fabricate the keel and bilge runners. I then have to scarf together some lengths of walnut for the trim and then run it through some shaping to get the profile I want.

I can't wait to see pictures/videos of your sailing the Argie 15 in the Spring/Summer. Please could you write a comparative report of this boat versus other dinghy types you've sailed. A couple of the club old-timers I've taken out on the water praised the Argie 15's roominess, pleasing looks, and stability. One also mentioned good "pointability". I've learned that our dinghy sails well when flat on a beam reach and downwind, but upwind she needs to be heeled. The hull seems to start planing in the high teens.

I will do the picture/video.blog once I get her on the water. Keep in mind that I'm building with a lug sail so performance will likely be somewhat less impressive but hopefully still acceptable.

Looking good Roy. I love the wood grain finish. Couldn't be bothered doing it myself but your finished product is sure going to be something to be proud of. Pity we all didn't live closer to each other, we could all go sailing in our Argie 15's.

Andrew

[QUOTE=Fudzwollop;4729771]Looking good Roy. I love the wood grain finish.

Thanks Andrew. That wood grain finish is just on the transom although there will be walnut gunwales and a 3/4" square walnut stringer on the outside of the hull midway down the upper strake. The rest of the hull on the outside will be painted.The inside will be a different story but I'll leave that until I actually get that far.

Progress is a little slow just now but I have added the skeg and keel strips and have cut, but not yet fixed, the bilge runners.

Another small step. The bilge runners went squirrely on me while I was doing another project so I had to use a number of screws to keep them straight and hold them down while the epoxy set. Once the goop is hard I'll add fillets and then measure, cut and drill screw holes for the 1/2 inch brass runners I'm putting on the main keel and the bilge runners. While that all sets up I'll start milling the walnut trim.

Probably my last post before Christmas and so I wish you all a very merry Christmas and the best of new years.

Looking good Roy but I've got to challenge the box around the centerboard cutout. Won't that interfere with hydrodynamics?

Quote Originally Posted by Fudzwollop View Post
    Looking good Roy but I've got to challenge the box around the centerboard cutout. Won't that interfere with hydrodynamics?
    I suspect it will cause a tiny bit of drag, but that can be mitigated by adding shaped little wooden pieces at the leading and trailing edges. I suspect it will keep rocks out of the center board case better.

Thanks for your comments gentlemen but I have a sneaking suspicion that hydrodynamics will be the least of my worries once I get her on the water. I have no plans to race, just to enjoy being on the water at any speed. And. of course, keepings rocks out of the center board case was always part of my plan (if you believe that - well, nuff said). I do have shaped ends on those pieces and did the same on my present boat.

I think the total area of drag caused by those pieces will be about the same as a dime being dragged through the water - Tiny

Quote Originally Posted by capefox View Post
    I think the total area of drag caused by those pieces will be about the same as a dime being dragged through the water - Tiny
    Or one of your kids/grandkids dragging their fingers in the water. haha Hey Roy, your pictures aren't showing up in my browser at the moment. Same goes for the ones you put up on my thread

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Morford View Post
    I will do the picture/video.blog once I get her on the water. Keep in mind that I'm building with a lug sail so performance will likely be somewhat less impressive but hopefully still acceptable.
    I have researched traditional sails quite extensively and traditional rigs are said to be no less efficient then then the modern Bermuda. The reasons for the bermuda's popularity isn't performance (apparently), other than being a bit better at pointing towards the wind. On all other points of sail the traditional rigs often fare better or at least no worse. Gaff rigs do perform better off the wind as they present more sail to the wind. Many other things also matter like hull design and skippers nous. Traditional rigs are quicker to reef and easier to handle as they are often a lot simpler. They are quicker to set up and pull down, easier to repair and cheaper to make....plus they look cool.

Sometimes I wonder if someone will do a gaff cutter version. Pretty. Whisstock uses a gaff cutter on his 15 ft dinghy.

Thanks for reinforcing my decision to build my Argie with a lug sail Andrew. Sorry about the pictures not showing. Maybe someone else on this site can help. It took me forever just to learn how to post pictures and that's the extent of my skills in that department.

Yesterday I spent a lot of time filleting. Boring and messy but it turned out OK. I'll be off to the local metal store today to buy my runner protection. I plan to use 1/2" by 1/8" brass. I used 3/4" by 1/8" on Gracie Too and I think it was a little bit of overkill. I tried to source brass half oval but it seems to cost an arm and a leg these days.