Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23413 ... LastLast

Thread: Argie 15 with balanced lug build in Vancouver, BC

Default Re: Argie 15 - start of a very slow build

I've not been able to do any work on my Argie since last Wednesday as I've been busy volunteering as a contractor to help a non profit organization move to new premises. However, there is always a reward and from the premises being vacated I was able to "liberate" over 300 feet of 3/8" by 2" mahogany trim. This will find a new life as inner and outer gunwales on my boat when I get that far.. There are small holes left by trim nails but, once filled, they will be invisible at any distance beyond a couple of feet. Once I get some more work done I'll post more pics.

Well, here I am again. I've snuck a few hours away from my volunteering and managed to get some thwart uprights and bulkheads in place. I've also fixed the real transom in place of the temporary one. If you look carefully you'll see two limber holes in first thwart support and this will take any water from the forward area, through glass fiber tubes, to the main cockpit area where there will be a floor drain (or two). From here on it will be really slow as the next step is to build the centre board and its casing so that I can locate it in the hull and build the aft thwart support around it. Could be a while before my next post but rest assured I'm still at it, if somewhat slowly.

That looks really good.

Thank you for sharing your build.

Little Ideas dad.

A few more pics, the last one showing the port side limber hole and the tubes I'll glass in to take water from the front area to the cockpit.

[IMG]

You nailed it. Those lines are good. Limber holes - attention to detail.

Thanks Capefox. Still a lot to do though and I keep reading your build log for ideas and the correct way to do things.

I was thinking about the drain tubes. Will you tape the ply under them and then fillet them in place? With water and a bit of schmutz moving through them, I'd imagine they should be completely sealed.

That's a good idea Capefox. I wasn't thinking of a piece of tape under the tubes but I will now and it means one less thing to worry about. I will be putting a small fillet either side of the tube and then glass over the whole thing. Should be pretty bomb proof (watertight) by the time I've finished. I love this forum and the great sharing of ideas.

Today I spent a couple of hours pulling finish nails from the mahogany trim I was planning to recycle as gunwale trim. Problem is that half the nails broke off. This means less than enough (after planing) to do the gunwales. However, I now plan to laminate some of the trim pieces together and they will have a new life as my center board and rudder as well other places on the boat. Nothing goes to waste

After planing, sizing and generally cleaning up, the mahogany trim is now a center board - ta da! Actually, this is just the blank. I now have to spend some time getting the bottom part to a foil section. Stay tuned - I did promise this would be slow.

In case anyone thinks I've been goofing off (again) here is a quick update. I've cut out the center board casing sides and glassed the inside faces. I've made a pivot for the rudder from copper piping reinforced with a birch dowel and epoxy. I plan to make the pivot removable by keeping it in place with brass drain plugs (can't remember who made that suggestion but I like it). I've also drilled the pivot location holes oversize and filled with an epoxy mixture of wood flour, silica and graphite. I've marked out where the center board needs to be shaped into a foil (well "foilish" anyway). I doubt achieving a true foil would add much to sailing speed and in any case this boat is not for racing so I'll do a good job but it will not be a perfect foil. No pictures because a flat piece of ply with glass on it doesn't really tell you too much, nor does a picture of holes gradually being transformed with epoxy. Waiting for epoxy to set and cure slows everything down. Once I begin to put it all together and have something interesting to show I'll post more pics.

Help! I need advice and, although the subject has been brought up on this forum before, no amount of searching is helping me find it.

I've completed the center board casing and when I put everything together to check for fit etc. everything is fine except the amount of spacing I've allowed between the inside of the casing and the outside of the center board. There seems (to me at this point) too much potential for the board to wobble from side to side. I should add that I've added a spacer washer on the center board itself around the pivot pin and that's pretty much where it should be. It's further away from the pivot that I see too much slop.

What is recommended? What have you guys found? Am I worrying about nothing and once on the water everything will be fine?

Any and all advice will be welcome.

Many thanks.

Hi Roy,

I've been following your build and I admire your clean working style, or at least how you clean up for the photos!

To your centerboard case gap, how much space is there? Keeping in mind that the centerboard pin is primarily to position the board, it's the sides of the centerboard contacting the inside of the case that transfers all the forces. Two options are remove material from the case spacers if you haven't joined the sides yet, or lay up some glass on the board itself to take up the gap. I'm using a third option, and that is to screw a short section of radiator hose to the top aft edge of the board and use washers to compress the hose. This should prevent the wobbling and also allow me to adjust the friction against the case sides. I saw this method somewhere here on the forum and it looks like a simple way to eliminate a hold-down / quick-release system for when I WILL run the board into something.

Lookin' good and thanks for sharing the build.

Mike

Thanks Mike.

I think I'll follow your suggestion to take a small amount off the spacers before I join it all together. If that isn't entirely successful I'll try the garden hose solution. Do you have any pics?

Thanks again and yes, I do clean up as best I can before taking pics.

In my head I can hear a chorus of “show us the pictures” so, here is the centerboard and its casing sitting in the boat by way of a trial fit. You can see the pivot rod which has yet to be cut down to size, and the drain plug which will keep it in place and make for easy removal. There will be an identical plug on the other side. I’m still thinking about how to deal with the slightly loose fit and, if anyone has had a similar problem, I would love to hear how you fixed it. Thanks.

Could you post actual dimensions of the board and case you built (I presume you created them). If I recall correctly, Dudley's plans are conceptual drawings of a centerboard (no dimensions).

Sorry Roy, I looked for a bit and couldn't find the post I saw. It was just a short section of hose, maybe 4"-5", laid along the the edge of the centerboard and attached with a couple screws and washers. Tightening the screws compressed the hose, expanding it against the case sides and increasing friction. Just pick a spot on the centerboard where you can adjust the screws with the board up and where the hose doesn't go below the water line.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately I tend to just put together what looks right without getting into too much detail. Sometimes it works and sometimes, well we all make mistakes. I decided against trying to take the spacers down because they are already glued to one side of the case. Instead I`ve been experimenting with thin pieces of ply on the inside faces of the case to take up the slack. I think it will work and will keep you posted.

Thanks for your input. Always welcome. I'm a bit of a charlatan sometimes and what I’ve been known to call small deviations from the plans are actually mistakes and the “small deviation” is my fix. I only show pictures of the completed fix and usually it works out OK.

Finally, some me time. I've added some very thin ply shims to the inside of the center board case and the slop I had been experiencing is now non existent. I have to do a little filling and sanding before the last coat of epoxy (with some graphite and silica) and then I can join it together and install in the hull. Once installed and with walnut trim added the board (when in the up position) will be flush with the thwart and rowing will not be compromised. The pictures show board up, board down and the brass drain plugs that I'm using to keep the center board pivot in place but easily removable. I still have to shape the centreboard.

Clever how you used those two threaded bronze bilge plugs to hold the centerboard in place!

Not my idea. I think I saw it somewhere on this forum and shamelessly copied it.

The center board case has its coats of epoxy, graphite and silica on the inside faces and has now been epoxied together. I've used some System Three Quick Fare putty to smarten up the brass plug bosses and the whole thing is now in the boat waiting for the epoxy to cure. The braces you see will be removed later and are there to keep everything straight and level. Next will be the two halves of the bulkhead just forward of the brass plugs. Then another break of about a month before I can do any more.

Nice , tidy build Roy.

Why the vertical ( grain ) on the plywood near the front of the case ?

Thanks for the compliment. Just outside the frame and behind me it's anything but tidy.

As for the vertical grain plywood, I "miscut" and had to add a piece. It will be hidden between the two forward bulkheads so it's not a big deal. Like so many things, I try to either hide my mistakes or make them look like "features".

Hey, I love the way you've squared off the centre board casing to butt up against to forward seat riser. I feel a bit dumb now doing mine like I have. I just followed the diagram scratched out by Dudley.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Fudzwallop.

Taking the center board case up to the bulkhead has two benefits. It adds a little more support to the case and also divides the space under the thwart into two watertight compartments. I'm planning to put the hatches on top of the thwarts and will make them from walnut and some of the recycled mahogany trim I have sitting on my bench. I agonized for a long time about hinges and hold downs for the hatch covers until, happily, I received an email from Lee Valley advertising small round magnets. Tada!!! Problem solved. I've worked it out in my mind but it will be a while before I get that far so please be patient.

Next job is to turn the hull upside down so that I can finish all the seams and maybe even get as far as fairing and painting before turning it right side up again and finishing the inside.

I'm still not sure about finishing. Some days it's going to be basic with solid gunwales, stainless fittings and other days it will be scuppered gunwales and bronze fittings. The boat itself will probably tell me what to do as I move on.

Slowly getting back into building mode so I hope to have some more pictures to show in the coming weeks.

Finally - I have a hole in the bottom of my Argie and the center board fits just the way it should. I turned her over last night and cut out the slot this morning. I have a little shaping and filling to do around the edge and then I can move on to filling, rounding and glassing the chines. It's good to be back in the saddle again. My apologies for the poor picture quality.

Looking really good Roy. I like the look of the rounded transom.

Thanks Erik. I like it too but now realize that if I want to use an outboard at any time in the future I will have to tack on some sort of bracket so that the prop is actually in the water.

The transom looks good. Pretty wood pattern.

Thanks Capefox. I had some leftover walnut from a previous project but not enough to build a transom. So I ran it through the table saw and planer to make 1/8 veneer pieces and the turned each pair to book match them and then stuck them to my plywood transom.

The next picture is my progress for today. Lots of filling the chine seams with goop. This will be followed by lots of sanding etc. etc. etc. - you know the drill.

And yes, on the front end of the sheer plank lower edges I managed to mess up on both sides! Nothing like consistency. As always, once it's all done and dusted, nobody will know.

It's not apparent from the pics what went wrong with the gunwale strakes.

Power tools!!!! I slipped on one side, not too bad I thought, I can I just even up the other side to match. Then I slipped on the second side too - enough! Some filler and goop needed. Once everything is finished the only evidence will be a slight reshaping of where the chine meets the bow. If I don't point it out nobody will ever know.
    Last edited by Roy Morford; 10-29-2015 at 06:57 PM.

Was a router responsible for that? I've had enough bad luck with routers not to let them near my projects.

It was a belt sander which won't be coming anywhere near her ever again. My trim router on the other hand I use a lot.