Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 91011 ... LastLast

Thread: Argie 15 with balanced lug build in Vancouver, BC

Default Re: Argie 15 with balanced lug build in Vancouver, BC

Oh bugger! And oh well. My neighbour who is over six feet, ten years my junior and looks strong dropped his side as we lifted her up. No serious damage but I do have some paint to sand and touch up. I have to keep my cool and remember that she will get more scratches once she is on the water.

Two pictures of a right side up hull begging for my attention.

Oh well, at least you've got that first nick out of the way. My boats always seem to be subject to more nicks and dings out of the water than in. Anyway, she sure is looking fine!

You made your boat too pretty and incredible. Now you have to keep it safely in an armored glass display case.

Thanks again for all the kind words gentlemen. However, looks can be deceiving! The skill is not so much in the building as in finding ways to fix the errors. The latest error is finding that the center board, which fitted perfectly before I installed the casing in the hull, now binds. My solution is to take a router and meander all over the part of the board that is binding and then use a chisel, plane and sander to reduce the overall thickness. If I don't mess up fixing the original mess nobody will ever know. As for dings and scratches, they will happen. I plan to sail this boat not put it in an exhibition.

How to thin a centerboard. First take a router set to whatever depth you want to remove and meander randomly over the offending area.

Next, use a chisel, a block plane, a random orbit sander and then a quarter sheet sander to make it look nice again.

I still have some work to do to get it all symmetrical and then some filling to do. I'll check to make sure it moves cleanly in and out of the center board box and then add a layer of 6 oz. glass.

A frustrating slow down in the building process but proof once again that I can sometimes be just a little anal!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Morford View Post
    How to thin a centerboard. First take a router set to whatever depth you want to remove and meander randomly over the offending area.

Next, use a chisel, a block plane, a random orbit sander and then a quarter sheet sander to make it look nice again.

I still have some work to do to get it all symmetrical and then some filling to do. I'll check to make sure it moves cleanly in and out of the center board box and then add a layer of 6 oz. glass.

A frustrating slow down in the building process but proof once again that I can sometimes be just a little anal!!!!
    I have been there, with the exception of using a circular saw to first cross-hatch

Quote Originally Posted by cracked lid View Post
    I have been there, with the exception of using a circular saw to first cross-hatch
    A circular saw? You're a braver man then I am!

I've seen people cut tenons with a circular saw.

Yesterday was just not my day. I thinned out the board and it was still tight where the hole for the pivot pin was located. No problem, I took off a little of just that area with my block plane. Now it's a nice fit. Only problem is that the pivot point is out by about 4 inches. No problem, fill the old hole and drill a new one. Now it fits. Only problem is that in the raised position the board is now an inch higher than the case. No problem, cut it down. Now (he says with fingers crossed) I think everything is OK. By the way Andrew, what was that you were saying about skill??????

Well at least you got it done.

Yesterday was a good day. I finished shaping the centerboard and spent some time filling and sanding the inside of the hull. I figured out the problem with the centerboard casing - after measuring, and measuring again, I realized that I'd pinched the top of the casing when I installed it between the forward thwart bench tops. I've solved the problem by reducing the centerboard thickness slightly and epoxying large bronze washers inside the casing where the pivot pin fits. You would have laughed to see me dangling a pre-glued washer down the centerboard casing on a piece of cotton while trying to push the pivot pin through the hole. Anyway, long story short, mission accomplished and today I'll be sanding some more before giving the entire inside hull a coat of epoxy.

I've also decided that I shall paint the inside with Interlux Brightside Cape Hatteras off white to which I'll add some flattener. The floor will get a coat of Interdeck sand.

One note of caution - when working with power tools turn off your cell phone and, if at all possible, your wife. While routing an edge on some cherry for the gunwales my wife called and in that split second of looking up and not paying attention I took the slightest nibble from my finger. Not too serious but lesson learned.

Interlux Brightside Cape Hatteras off white -- this is a nice color.

Small steps today. I cut and fitted support brackets for the center board box. These are placed so that I can add a removable footrest which is angled and key through the limber hole. This will make for comfortable rowing and also stop me from scuffing up the floor paint too much.

I promise it will look much more professional once I sand it, put a fillet at the edges and paint it.

Good looking fillet work

Thanks Andrew. The brackets are also now filleted. Yesterday I was able to give the centerboard a coat of epoxy and today I glassed one side. Tomorrow I'll glass the second side and then use bias cut strips to glass the edges. Then it will be a fill coat using epoxy thickened just a little with silica to toughen it up. I'll paint it before installing but haven't decided yet whether it should be black or white. I've also been cutting strips of walnut to finish some edges and corners but have decided to use cherry for my gunwales. Oh, and I've decided against scuppered gunwales.

Cherry gunwales would look good. Cherry only costs about $4 per bf here. African mahogany about $5.25. White oak was about $2.50 but it has inexplicably shot to $4. What made you change your mind about the scuppered gunwales?

I've built three boats with scuppered gunwales and they look pretty and ship shape. However, they take longer to make and are a pain to varnish and maintain. I found that I only tied things on to them in a couple of places and can easily find other ways to secure things. For example, I plan to add some brackets (which have a proper nautical name that escapes me just now) at the thwart locations and will make them with limber holes. They can be supplemented where needed by deadeyes, hooks and small cleats. Besides, I've seen photos of some beautiful boats with solid gunwales and they can look really smart. I'm thinking of a strip of walnut to hide the ply edge of the top strake and this will be a start in making it just a little different. The breast hook and quarter knees will also feature a mixture of walnut and cherry.

This picture doesn't really show too much except for some errors which show up as filler. It's actually supposed to show that the center board is coated with glass on both sides and this is the first piece of bias cut added to the top edge.

Sometimes even the largest clamp in the collection isn't quite up to the job!

Gluing walnut trim to the top of the center board box.

Also visible in this pic are the magnets in each corner of the hatches which will hold the lids in place.

My usual group of friends are working today and I needed to access the bottom of the hull to make some adjustments to the center board. So, I set up a small hoist at each end did it on my own. Why didn't I think of that before?

I think I'm just about done with the fiddly little bits and so my next step will be to add the gunwales. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now.

I've glued a 1/4 square walnut strip on top of the upper strake edge to hide the plywood edge (although you can't see it in this pic). Now I've cut and fitted the cherry outer gunwale ready to be epoxied in place.

What I particularly like about this shot is the fairness of the chines. On the starboard side, I did not do such a fine job of feathering the tape near the bow. Kudos. Great idea hiding (and protecting) the plywood edges with that 1/4 strip.

Thanks for the kind words Andrew. I think I mentioned in an earlier post my frustration with stitch and glue when I could have everything perfectly aligned and ready to glue and then come to it the following morning and find it needed to be re-aligned. I think I prefer lapstrake.

Anyway, this pic is what I my wife calls "telling it like it is". She has accused me of "staging" my pictures and cleaning up before every shot. So here, as directed by SWMBO, is a picture of how things normally appear - well organized chaos!

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...y/P1040924.jpg

That is way to organized to be called chaos!!!

Sent fra min D6603 via Tapatalk

I haven't posted lately because what I've been doing is kinda boring and repetitive. The gunwales are now finished and, as you'll see from the first pic, they consist of 3/4 inch of cherry inside and out side with a 1/4 square walnut cap over the plywood edge. Because of the bend fore and aft and the curve of the sheer, I had to cut the cherry down to 3/8 inch and even that was hard to get just right. This meant cut, fit, glue, clamp, wait, do the next bit etc. etc. Anyway, now I have to sand, round over the edges and then move on to the breast hook and quarter knees. Getting there but slowly. I'm currently getting quotes for the sail and I've been quite surprised by the price range and also the degree of expertise apparent from the answers I've received to some of my questions. I guess the higher prices and longer wait times from some sailmakers reflect what I might expect in the final product.

The sail is ordered. The design is by Todd Bradshaw (thanks Todd) complete with vertical panels and it will be made from 5oz tanbark. It should look really neat. This is a major step and gives me the incentive to get my rear end in gear and work on the final construction more conscientiously. I've also put Gracie Too on the market because once my Argie is complete I'll need the space.

Tomorrow I'll be busy sanding, routing and making the breast hook and quarter knees. I'll be posting pics tomorrow.

I promised pictures so here they are. Unfortunately life got in the way (again) and I didn't achieve as much as I hoped but it's still another step forward. The first pic shows the gunwale with cherry inside and outside and a walnut strip in the middle. I cut off the pointed end and, in the second pic, you'll see the block of walnut I'll be adding to the front. Once it's shaped to a nice round profile and sanded to fair in I think it will look pretty nice.

More progress this morning. The first pic is the walnut nose piece roughly shaped. The second shows templates for the breast hook and quarter knees. You can also see a plank of cherry from which they will be cut (after I get it planed).

Not too much done today as I've been busy with paperwork for the government most of the day.

Quarter knees are now glued in place

and the breast hook is drawn ready for cutting and installing. As you will see, I'm putting a piece of walnut down the center. I also just noticed that the grain pattern is wrong so I'll be drawing the outline for the port side again before I cut it out so that the grain is a better match

Another small step. Today I've almost finished the breast hook and just have to add a walnut strip across the after end. Then, finally, I'll be able to start rounding over various edges and yes, at last, varnish and paint. Stay tuned to this channel.

Yeah!

Nice!

Sent fra min D6603 via Tapatalk

This morning I used my trim router to round over gunwales and anything else that needed it. There are a few places I couldn't reach with the router so for the next several hours, maybe even days, I'll be busy hand sanding. Lots of fun

Limber holes for the transom knees? A little schmutz might get caught in the corners under the knees. Probably not a big deal if the area is well sealed.

As a matter of fact I just finished putting a small fillet around the knees, both on top and underneath.