Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51415

Thread: Argie 15 with balanced lug build in Vancouver, BC

Default Re: Argie 15 with balanced lug build in Vancouver, BC

That looks really smart. I always wondered why we launch boat backwards.

It doesn't get better than that. Surely one of the nicest projects ever.

Thanks for the kind words Andrew. I've been away for a month and today was the first day back in the workshop. I managed to cut the parts for my boom and yard and they are now clamped up and gluing. I've added the angle guide pieces on the launch dolly so that is now complete. I'm not at all happy with the mast I made and so I plan to build a new one. I've committed to launch on April 30th at our club Commodore's sail past so she is going to get wet, finished or not. Most people won't notice the difference anyway.

April 30th? That's not too far away now. I hope you get plenty of launch day pictures of your pretty boat.

I know what you mean. April 30th will be here in no time. Today I glued up the boom and tomorrow I hope to glue up the yard. Then some eight siding, sixteen siding and rounding followed by several coats of varnish. It should be finished in time and there should be plenty of launch pictures as our annual sail past is always well attended and photographed.

Glued up the yard this morning so I should be able to start cutting off the corners of the boom and yard tomorrow. Only problem is the rain. Working in my workshop with the boat still inside makes it rather cramped. However, she's getting closer to being finished. I'll take some more pictures when the rain stops and I can get the boat on the driveway.

It's raining but I decided that the inside of the hull could do with a rinse so out it went. I the unclamped the yard and here it is alongside the boom.

I ran them both through the planer to square them up.

And then took off the corners on the table saw so that they're now eight sided.

The rest of the work I'll do with a hand plane. These are not too large so I'm hoping to have them finished by the end of the day.

I'm so jealous of your workshop space :-(

And here are the spars rounded with a plane. Tomorrow I'll finish by sanding them and then offer up the sail so that I can drill holes in the right places. Then a few coats of varnish. April 30th? Yes, I think I'll make it.

Sorry Nikky. I don't think I have enough space. On the other hand my wife thinks I take up too much space!!!!

Nice work on the spars. You're so close now. Is there ever enough space for boat building? You need a warehouse just to store all the clamps.

My, how the time flies. I have just over two weeks left to get everything ready for launch. I've finally finished the launch dolly (after several changes to get it "just right"). The yard and boom received their first coat of varnish today and I also touched up several spots where the varnish had received a small hit because of working in such a confined space. Tomorrow I'll add another coat of varnish to the spars and put a final coat of paint on the side benches and the inside of the planking. That only leaves a gazillion small jobs.

No paint on the side benches yet but the spars now have three coats of varnish. The mast currently just has a base coat of epoxy. I'll smooth this down and give it just one coat of varnish because I don't like it. It will do for the launch on April 30th but I will be building a new mast that meets my rather persnickety standards.

I'll give the spars a couple of days to dry properly and then bend on the sail. If the weather cooperates I'll take her out on the driveway, hoist sail for the first time and take a few pictures.

For now, Happy Easter everyone.

Exciting times.

A good day. Weather was dry and sunny so I spent a lot of time doing yard work. However, the spars are now ready to receive the sail and that will be my focus tomorrow. I'll take some pictures while I'm doing that and more pictures on Sunday when I take the whole thing outside and raise the sail for the first time (weather permitting).

Finally, a picture. I managed to get the sail bent on to the yard and boom today. Tomorrow will be the big day when I hope to raise the sail for the very first time.

I can feel your excitement Roy. Im so looking forward to seeing your dream become a reality. I bet she'll look a picture dressed up.

Driveway sailing!!!

It obviously needs some tweeks and adjustments before I try this on the water. Appropriate leathering of course and both the halyard and downhaul need some small pulleys to make setting up easier. I would appreciate comments from one and all as to what else I can/should do to optimize this rig. I'm very much a novice and I know there are many experts on this site. I'm happy with the look of the boat but I want to be equally happy or more than happy with performance.

Thanks.

Bloody well done that man! Absolutely stunning.

That boom looks awfully low to me..............

The plans call for a metre clearance from the boom to cockpit sole. Maybe the camera angle is making it look lower. If not a couple of turns around the boom should be enough to raise it for launch day. Then see what needs adjusting maybe?

The boom is definitely too low and I already have some wood to build a new mast about 18" longer that will take care of the problem. I will still launch on April 30th although wearing a hard hat might be advisable!

The good news is that there's plenty of room in the boat to lie down in when tacking. It'll bring a whole new meaning to the technique of the roll tack. Could you not extend the mast temporarily with a piece of metal tubing at the bottom?

She looks wonderful. Great job.
    Since you asked for feedback: it seems to me you have too many sail ties (through the grommet at the reef points). Half of what you have on both reefs should suffice. The sail ties through the reef points also seem twice the length necessary.
    She looks like a fun and fast boat.

Thanks for the feedback Rik. The sail maker's Canadian representative wasn't able to answer my question as to why there were so many reef points especially as you need to move quickly when reefing and too many reef points has the potential to slow down the process, increasing the possibility of a mishap. I have other issues that I won't go into but from my experience with Lee Sails I certainly wouldn't recommend them although their website has many positive reviews from satisfied customers. I do plan to remove some of the reef lines and shorten the ones that remain. As for performance, there are several Youtube videos of this design and she does seem to be able to lift her skirts with a good wind. I'm looking forward to getting her on the water.
    Last edited by Roy Morford; 04-18-2017 at 09:01 AM.

Congratulations with your progress. Looks awesome!!! Good luck with maiden voyage!

How to stretch a mast part one - buy a length of aluminum tube. Done. Tomorrow the mast will go into surgery and I'll have a longer mast worthy of Rube Goldberg!

I shouldn't worry about the amount of reef points. You don't have to use them all if you're in a hurry and it'll keep things neat if you do use them all. Better too many than to few I'd say. Had to google Rube Goldberg. Ingenuity is the great pleasure in this boat building caper.

How to stretch a mast - step two - cut off the top of the mast

Place top piece of mast "A" into end of aluminum tube "B"

Step three - go back indoors, it's starting to rain.

So where will you lunch it the first time?

Ambleside beach, West Vancouver.

And here is the "stretched" mast, now 16 feet long. I think it will be fine at this length and will certainly work for the launch on April 30th. Once I've had a chance to see how she sails I will make a new mast either this height or shorter/longer based on the expert opinion of my fellow club sailors.

Something else I hadn't considered. When I made the launch dolly I carefully figured out where the centre of gravity would be so that I could locate the wheels properly. However, when the mast and sail are in place there is more weight at the front of the boat and the centre of gravity moves. So, after stretching the mast I did something similar with the launch dolly and added another foot behind the wheels so that everything is nicely balanced once again.
    Last edited by Roy Morford; 04-21-2017 at 12:38 AM.