Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6151617 LastLast

Thread: Argie 15 with balanced lug build in Vancouver, BC

Default Re: Argie 15 with balanced lug build in Vancouver, BC

As I'm no longer building to a deadline I've decided to change the mast partners. I have to build a new mast anyway so I decided to add a thwart with a square hole to drop the mast through. I think this will be stronger than the set up I have now even though it worked fine on my previous boat.

Here is the thwart with its first coat of varnish. I won't cut the hole for the must until I've actually made the mast and hopefully I can get a good fit. Added a third coat of varnish to my oars today.

Yesterday was a good day. I managed to get my new mast glued up and as well as being the right length it actually came out straight, unlike the first one. Next job is to taper it, take off the corners and make it round. The oars are now ready for leathering and the mast support thwart has its final coat of varnish. I have some minor paint touch up to do inside the boat. Next, I plan to cut out my cork seats and see how they look before committing to gluing them down. I won't be launching tomorrow as I'd hoped but it won't be too long now.

Today I finally found time to clean up my new mast and cut the opening for a halyard sheave. Since taking the picture I've tapered both ends and my next job will be to start taking off the corners. I will also modify the sanding jig (which I copied from others on this site) because I didn't make the drum large enough diameter and the sanding belt would slip.

Looking good there Roy. It's surprising how difficult the sticky uppy bits are.

The sun is shining so I can get some work done. First is a picture of my way to clamp the mast while I'm working on it. These are actually corner templates I made years ago to glue up nice square joints. Works perfectly for holding a mast down too.

Next is the initial shaping where the mast goes from square to round.

Here is the eight siding done with a power hand plane.

And finally the sander I'll use to round the mast after getting it beyond 16 sides. This is something I think a lot of people have used. I copied their idea and it works well.

I have to go out for a short while but hope to get the mast final sanded this afternoon so that I can give it a coat of epoxy to seal it tomorrow (rain is forecast again).

I expect the leather to be delivered later today so I can work on leathering my oars tomorrow.

Getting close.

Clever way to clamp your mast blank. What did you use as a spar gauge? I've always wondered how you get the blank to taper from square cross-section to round, and thanks to you now I do.

Hi Andrew,

To make the mast round using a spar gauge I followed the instructions here

http://www.pettigrews.org.uk/lm/page030a.htm

It has pictures which is good because I sometimes have difficulty understanding written instructions. The transition from square to round was done using a chisel and spokeshave.

So what's Roy up to? Why hasn't he announced his new launch date? What's happening? Well, to start with the weather isn't cooperating. The two fine days we just enjoyed were spent making a garden gate and now, for a short while, I'll be helping out at our local hardware store.

My new mast is finished and varnished, so that's a start. I just have to install the mast sheave. There really isn't much left but it is weather dependent. I want to give the interior one more coat of paint - less than a day, re-varnish my hatch lids - too many dust nibs, and minor touch up. I have the oar leathers but that's an indoor job anyway and won't slow affect the launch date.

So my friends, it will be soon - I promise.

I got courious of where you live when you talk about weather conditions. so I looked at Vancouver on Google maps. You are far south from where I live, and on the other side of the World I see, but weather have to cooperate anywhere I guess. How long is the small-boating season in Vancouver?

Looks like you have some interesting waters nearby. Bays rivers and lakes :-) You said in my thread I was working fast, but weather, and commitments makes sure I will spend another year before launching. Its so funny to build, so why rush it to finsish?

Hi Fredostli,
    Our boating season generally runs from about May to October although many people will say it runs from January to December. This year has seen some strange weather patterns across Canada and here in Vancouver we have still not yet seen anything that could be described as spring. On the other hand, we are blessed with an infinite number of places to get on the water year round. A little off topic but you should Google R2AK. This is a race from Port Townsend just over the border in the US all the way up to Alaska in anything that will float (but no motors allowed). Two friends raced last year in a Mirror 16 sailboat and managed to get as far as Prince Rupert before the weather turned against them.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Morford View Post
    The sun is shining so I can get some work done. First is a picture of my way to clamp the mast while I'm working on it. These are actually corner templates I made years ago to glue up nice square joints. Works perfectly for holding a mast down too.

As an FYI for future similar clamping needs, Irwin makes an angle attachment for their quick clamps. You just pop off the rubber grips on one or both ends and put the 90-degree angle clamp on. Sure increases the longevity of your flat grips on those corners!

Thanks Schoonerjay, I actually thought of that and, if you look closely, you'll see that I took the corners off of the corner templates so that my clamps have a flat surface to sit on. I love tools but I also love to find quick ways to do a job especially if it will save me money.

So what, you might ask, has this picture to do with Roy's Argie build? Simple. This is what has prevented me from getting the build finished (weather notwithstanding). I promised some friends to do this for them because, according to the wife, "my husband can't do a thing involving anything other than a golf club". Anyway, gate finished, Argie here I come. Stay tuned. There's very little left to do (you've heard that before) and she will be ready to launch very soon.

That's very nice work Roy. Maybe you could nick it and put it on your Argie somewhere.

At the top of the gangway?

Finally the gate has gone and the sun has come out. I've now finished the mast and the mast thwart and here is a shot of the boat plus mast.

Here is a shot of the thwart.

And finally I would like some advice. I need to add two cleats to the mast. One for the halyard and one for the downhaul. I have two sizes of cleat and would appreciate your thoughts on which size I should use. Here is a shot with the 1/4 inch line I'll be using for both halyard and downhaul wrapped around both cleats.

I have only a very few minor things to finish and will be getting her bottom wet very soon.

Cleat length from tip to tip should be 1" for every 1/16" of line diameter.
    So there you go.
    What sizes are those two cleats you showed?

Thanks Tom. those are 5" and 6" inch cleats and the line is 1/4" so I guess I'll go with the 5" ones. The tail end of both lines will be on belaying pins so I don't need any extra horn length.
    Last edited by Roy Morford; 05-23-2017 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tom151 View Post
    Cleat length from tip to tip should be 1" for every 1/16" of line diameter.
    So there you go.
    What sizes are those two cleats you showed?

Wow! Great to know!
    thats 16:1, so metric, 16mm length for every 1mm of diameter. or 5cm for every 3mm of diameter which is slightly easier.
    thanks!
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge” - Charles Darwin (1809–1882)

Nutshell Pram Build pictures ; https://photos.app.goo.gl/1GdBcckcgBAWsbVg1

And so, finally, here she is in her Sunday best.

A few friends will help me wheel her to the sailing club next Saturday and, weather permitting, she will be launched.

She's gorgeous! Congratulations!

Wow! Beautiful.

Very nice. Not much more to say than I've enjoyed your build log thoroughly.

Congratulations, beautiful. You must be pleased.
    Trev
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge” - Charles Darwin (1809–1882)

Nutshell Pram Build pictures ; https://photos.app.goo.gl/1GdBcckcgBAWsbVg1

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. The build Argie 15 thread from Capefox is still the best on the forum though. This weekend I hope to have some more photographs taken by someone with more photographic talent than myself. These might even include some on the water shots. I'll try to post some more pictures next week.

The best laid plans etc. I took my boat, now officially "Gracie" down to the club last night and several things happened. The torsion on the small idler wheels I added to the dolly was too much for a drilled and tapped fitting and it came loose after just half a mile. I adjusted the position of the boat on the dolly so the weight was balanced on the main wheels so I just had to push without lifting any weight after taking off the broken idler wheels. Then, the unthinkable, my flat free tires went flat!!!!!! I continued to the club regardless and when I eventually arrived the gate key was missing. It just wasn't my day. I called the Commodore because I knew he had a spare key and finally, almost 10pm, she was safely locked away. This morning at 7am I fixed the idler wheels with bolts instead of tapped screws and took care of that problem. So far so good. Did I mention that we had a community day parade today and I'd committed to pull my boat along in the parade. Well, I decided to do it anyway with some help from a couple of club members and round we went with a thump from each wheel as it hit the flat spot. Once back at the club I was exhausted and decided not to launch today. There wasn't a lot of wind anyway. There will be some pictures later when our official photographer sends me copies. Once the soreness in my old bones goes away I will pick a nice day for her maiden voyage.

Getting closer and closer Roy. And looking very fine.

No launch pictures yet but a few of the community parade. First picture is of a proud owner getting ready for the parade.

Second picture shows how a flat free tire looks when it has a flat.

And finally a very tired owner nearing the end of the parade.

May I suggest you make some wooden wheels. Flat-free, and maching the sheer? :-)

Looking forward to the launch photos!

Thanks for the idea Fredostli - that "wood" certainly be guaranteed flat free! Sorry, awful pun.

Just received this from a friend who saw me pushing Gracie in our local community parade. A little fuzzy but otherwise a good overall shot. Still waiting for my replacement dolly wheels and hoping to launch on July 1st.

Hm ... DOLLYWOOOD ?

Street sailing!!!!!

And now she has a name: