Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Duck Punting on Plum Island Sound, MA.

Default Re: Duck Punting on Plum Island Sound, MA.

Quote Originally Posted by callsign222 View Post
    I row MRS MUMBLES. If you built FLOMOs punts to his plans, I have found using the forward hole on the aft thole-pin rack is the best location for the oarlocks with the boat in standard configuration. However, after serious scientific consultation with my wife and Dan Noyes, I am probably going to locate a new oarlock pad a few inches more forward than the aft set of thole-pins in order to dip the stem of the bow in the water a bit-- that way there will be a little bit of bite up front and I won't drag the stern as much. It will help in crosswinds-- keep in mind the boat is a little sensitive fore-aft in terms of trim. I use 5' oars (152cm) and they are a little long for solo rowing with a little bit of overlap, but work really nice two-up. You don't want to go too long, because you need to use it as a steering oar. Let's face it, she doesn't make for a really nice 1 man rowboat, not really the purpose, though certainly doable. I MAY experiment with a shorter oar, but probably no shorter than 4.5'. The outriggers sound complicated for the simplicity of the boat, but I would like to hear about your experience. ALSO put up some PICTURES MAN!

I agree with all of the above. I think that the purity of the boat is its simplicity. It is a versatile little sucker. Jack of all trades - but what it does best is to sail.

As for sneaking up on ducks - they would use the sail to get to with twio hundred yards of the ducks - then they would drop the rig and lie down in the bottom of the punt. They had two small paddles - like table tennis bats and they would ride up to the ducks with the tide underneath them. The ducks would not percieve the punt as a threat. As a wildlife cameraman and sailor I know that birds do not perceive a shape as human until it sees a head and neck, so if you lie low you can really close.

I personally think that to go to a beautiful place such as a saltmarsh with the express purpose of killing the beautiful residents is not a nice thing to do.

these little boats are brilliant to sail - easy to build - car toppable - bloody excellent little boats

This winter was the first for over a decade without a yacht for winter sailing - the punt got me through.

Boys - you have got to build one of these little suckers

she can take you to places no other sail boat can ever reach

We're back to Duckpunting! Large and in Charge: Woe and Duckpunting (Or, Dory Dan Bailing His Punt)

Dylan -do you have a rudder/tiller or are you steering with an oar?

Quote Originally Posted by dylan winter View Post
    ...remember they were designed to carry stuff around although they are called duck punts they were basically aquatic wheel barrows made of old floorboards

did I say this before...

build one.... you will not be sorry..... you blokes on here could knock one out in a weekend. So build one and eat as much as you like.
    Every time I see posts about these boats it makes me want one more and more. Are there any plans for non-plywood versions of this boat or would I just take some dimensions and throw one together with whatever boards I have? I have a small sawmill but haven't figured out how to turn a log into a 4X8 sheet of plywood (at least not cheaper than it could be bought).

Sea Dreams A.K.A. Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dreams View Post
    Every time I see posts about these boats it makes me want one more and more. Are there any plans for non-plywood versions of this boat or would I just take some dimensions and throw one together with whatever boards I have? I have a small sawmill but haven't figured out how to turn a log into a 4X8 sheet of plywood (at least not cheaper than it could be bought).

Sea Dreams A.K.A. Brian
    Dory Dan's duckpunt (see above) is made from pine planking on oak frames (if I am remembering correctly) with dory style construction. It's heavy, but she scoots right along and points as well as mine. Get in touch with Dan Noyes, he may be able to guide you appropriately.

We're back to Duckpunting! Large and in Charge: Woe and Duckpunting (Or, Dory Dan Bailing His Punt)

I enjoyed the story very much on the blog. Thanks for posting this.
    Time to seal up that bottom a bit?

Dory Dan's duckpunt (see above) is made from pine planking on oak frames (if I am remembering correctly) with dory style construction. It's heavy, but she scoots right along and points as well as mine. Get in touch with Dan Noyes, he may be able to guide you appropriately.
    Thanks for that. I'm not going to bother Dan unless I can't figure it out on my own. Looking at some of your blog pictures it doesn't look that difficult and my version would depend on the size of boards I get anyway. All the bailing looks fun. I guess that's where plywood has a big advantage over "real wood". I assume Dan's duckpunt could be sealed up to at least slow down the leaks without resorting to fiberglass and epoxy.

I don't have time to work on it right now but just might make something similar as my next boat. Blame it on Dylan and the rest of you duckpunters (that sounds kindof bad doesn't it?) for making it look like so much fun. Keep it up though. I prefer to do my boating where the big guys can't go.

Sea Dreams A.K.A. Brian

EDIT: I found the plans for the original version as well as FloMo's lighter version on Dylan's site here:

http://www.keepturningleft.co.uk/duc...-plans-arrive/
    Last edited by Sea Dreams; 05-10-2015 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Found plans

Quote Originally Posted by timo4352 View Post
    I enjoyed the story very much on the blog. Thanks for posting this.
    Time to seal up that bottom a bit?
    Thanks Tim, for reading the post. It was quite a day, both in terms of the exciting sailing and the somberness of losing my brother-in-law. A good day punting was a fitting tribute. If you are ever up in our neck of the woods with your Gunning Dory, give us a holler! She'd fit in just fine.

Thanks Tim, for reading the post. It was quite a day, both in terms of the exciting sailing and the somberness of losing my brother-in-law. A good day punting was a fitting tribute. If you are ever up in our neck of the woods with your Gunning Dory, give us a holler! She'd fit in just fine.
    yeah thanks for that story, I was there, thats just how it happened it would have taken me a couple weeks to write something like that and another few weeks to get it on line, remarkable work Chris!

it's my fault the little plank punt leaked worse than ever, a month in the dry shop and it's actually built and owned by a friend who has done 0 maintainance on it since built, im sanding and painting it for the first time and hope to have it significantly tighter for the next sail.

Interested in Dylans take on our yankee sailing style, do many guys sail standing up across the pond? remember these little boats are about the proportions of a canoe!

BUMP

OH BOY! Starting this THIRD SEASON of momentous duckpunting on Plum Island Sound! What fun!

Dory Dan and CallSign222 went bashing around yesterday in our punts, we clammed (or I should say, Dan clammed and I provided the witty commentary to compliment his physical exertions) and we sailed! Much fun to be had by all.

As always, full story up on the blog http://gisamateur.blogspot.com/2016/...-on-loose.html

Thanks for the inspiring story.

A high speed sail inches from the shoreline, and Dory Dan Clamming into the sunset.......what a fine adventure.....

Next time you head out let me know. I might have Flopsy MacGregor sorted out.

Dan needs to stop advertizing who's rig he's using.

Allan
    And the Binnacle-bats wore water-proof hats
    As they danced in the sounding sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Thanks for the inspiring story.
    "Inspiring" Gareth? Are you going to be building one soon? Hmmm? Hmmm? How may I inspire you further? You were tempted last year, you're inspired this year...

Hi I just wanted to say after a few years I completed my Duck Punt "Ducki". I wanted to post some photos but don't seem to be able to manage it. I haven't mastered steering her yet but no doubt will improve! At the same time I completed a Nutshell Pram and I have to say that it sails brilliantly and runs rings round Ducki in a F2! If anybody wants pics of the launch or build please pm me
    Attached Images Attached Images

"we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve